Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know (1973 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Covers Stylist Magazine With "We Should All Be Feminist”Shirt / Kukere Sisters: Episode 1 / Is Divepen1 A Feminist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by mute4real: 8:09am On Jul 24, 2015
We all know the Serenity Prayer:

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

I am not sure if my feminist sisters have ever come across that prayer. Because with the kind of articles they write and the causes they claim they are fighting for, they seem to have gotten it wrong.

But, first, what has that prayer got to do with feminism?

Somehow, the subject of feminism is becoming very popular by the minute. More and more people, especially ladies, are beginning to go around with that label clearly written on their forehead and my Nigerian sisters are not even helping the matter at all. Not with this herd mentality. Chimamanda is a feminist therefore I must be one. Mtchew!

I wish one of them will come and share with us how feminism has helped the society generally, especially our own. How have marriages become better since wives suddenly discovered that cooking for their husbands make them slaves?

Anyway, I will come back to that. Please place your bookmark there.

Don't get me wrong. Feminism is a good cause that has turned into a hydra-headed monster because of people who have not even checked out the meaning of the word.

If what feminists should be fighting for is what my Nigerian sisters who go by the label 'feminists' are actually fighting for, I would have applauded them.

Let's look at some of the statistics on women as at 2014:

1. A baby girl born in the UK is likely to live to 81, but if she is born in Swaziland she is likely to die at 39.
2. In Chad only 1% of the girls go to school.
3. Worldwide, only 1% of titled land is owned by women.
4. Every one minute one woman dies during childbirth.
5. 44% of all women in the UK have experienced either physical or sexual violence since they were 15 years old.
6. 99.3% of women and girls in Egypt have been subjected to sexual harassment.
7. 80% of 1.2M children trafficked into slavery each year are girls.

Now, those are just a tiny bit of what women are going through all over the world including the so called Land of the free - United States of America.

Now, here is a question for you. How many of our Nigerian feminists have you heard talk about those statistics and that they were going to dedicate their entire lives to correct the anomaly? Very, very, very, ……….., very, very, very few.

Instead, what do we hear them talk about?

1. Why can't a lady be free to dress the way she wants without being labeled?
2. Why must a lady be the one to cook for her husband, why can't the man cook for himself?
3. Why must the woman submit to her husband?

Issues like the ones listed above are what bother them.

Why can't the man do his own cooking?

Seriously? Is cooking for the man you said you love your biggest problem on earth now? But it does not bother you that when the generator needs to be started; when the light bulb needs to be changed; when the lawn needs mowing; when the car has a flat tire; when a cockroach needs to be killed; the man does all of these and more without questioning why you can’t do them.

It does not bother you that in some cultures in this very country the woman is compelled to sleep with the corpse of her husband for several days and to drink the water with which the corpse was bathed. And guess who executes the order on the bereaved woman? Fellow women.

Yes, women compel a fellow woman to drink the water with which her husband's corpse was cleansed. All in the name of asking her to prove her innocence in the death of her husband. They forget that the cane with which the first wife was flogged is also waiting for the second wife.

Of course, most women's problems begin with "men"; menopause, menstruation, mental breakdown, etc, so my feminist sisters have decided to dump all their problems at the feet of men. The angels are watching you.

Recently, I read an article where a woman took her 9 year old daughter to a women's seminar where most of the speakers were either separated or divorced and they spoke on issues bothering on relationships between men and women.

At the end of the event, in an attempt to know if her 9 year old daughter was able to learn anything from the conference she asked her what was her major take-away from the event. The innocent girl said she learnt that divorce can be good or bad depending on the situation. This woman was proud of her daughter.

Are you kidding me? That divorce can be good or bad depending on the situation? Is that what kids are being taught now? That I recommend divorce instead of losing your life, does that make divorce in itself a good thing? Is that a systematic way of fixing issues? You only chose the lesser of two evils. Keep enduring the abuse and possibly lose your life or divorce the man. That does not make divorce a good thing.

Then there was this lady who placed a comment on an article written by another feminist where she narrated how her dad came visiting in her matrimonial home. She served him and when he was done eating he motioned for her to come clear the table. She said she was 'taken aback'. Those were her exact words.

She was surprised that her father, from whose loins she came; the man who invested his love, money, time, efforts, and gave her a good education; she was surprised that he asked her to come clear the table after he was done eating.

What even made it worse for me was that she had the guts to post this as a comment for the world to read. These are the kind of people that call themselves feminists in Nigeria.

Anyway, back to the serenity prayer as I tie this up. To all my feminists sisters all over the world, you may want to disagree but hopefully, with time, you will get to see that there are some things you can change and there are some things that you cannot change. However, you decide how you will respond to the things you cannot change.

Now, listen very carefully to the following words. From now till the end of the world, men will mostly be judged by their abilities, and women will mostly be judged by their character. I promise you, you will never be able to change that.

Hate me all you want. Call me a misogynist. Give me labels that are not even in the dictionary, yet. At the end of the day, men will mostly be judged by their abilities and women will mostly be judged by their character. At least from a societal standpoint.

I did not make it so. I wish I could change it. But after deep introspection I have come to identify with the serenity prayer.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."

As always,
The one whom Jesus loves,
Mute Efe.
2BC01D81
www.facebook.com/mutehimself

P.S. Before we get carried away by this Feminism drama. Please if you are a lady you may want to join my "ladies only" group, #LadiesRoom. The objective is to help ladies have better relationships through personal leadership.

It is a subscription based group but very affordable. You can join the group by clicking on the link below:

www./lroom

7 Likes

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Cutehector(m): 8:10am On Jul 24, 2015
Na wa o
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by INTROVERT(f): 8:11am On Jul 24, 2015
sad

1 Like

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by etiosa97(m): 8:12am On Jul 24, 2015
In erigga's voice. Omo na copy and paste o
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 24, 2015
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Shortyy(f): 8:14am On Jul 24, 2015
BULLCRAP

1 Like

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by donholy28(m): 8:22am On Jul 24, 2015
OH Lord please grant op one thing....give him Sense!!!!!
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by davuvid(m): 8:54am On Jul 24, 2015
Some really valid points. Feminism just doesn't suit our culture. It puts a dent on character and makes a lady seem arrogant

1 Like

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Akposb(m): 9:20am On Jul 24, 2015
Feminism is like a burning coal in the hands of its bearers.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by mute4real: 11:01am On Jul 24, 2015
etiosa97:
In erigga's voice. Omo na copy and paste o

Please I don't get you. What do you mean by it's copy and paste.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Kitme(f): 11:12am On Jul 24, 2015
Mtcheeew......

1 Like

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Warlord3000(m): 7:32pm On Jul 24, 2015
Hmm interesting
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by dekunlelaja: 11:21pm On Jul 24, 2015
Well, equating a woman to a man; its all satanic intelligence to subdue minds without mind. when you don't have a direction you just have to follow. "Feminism" another word for witchcraft which a mind without mind will never understand. Here, our three religions do not support it neither do any of our culture nor tradition do. Sadful, our ladies follow suite in what they don't have personal definition for and are suaged in deceit. However, blessed be our souls.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 7:24am On Jul 25, 2015
Wow! See the colleens 'mtcheeeewing' to real talk. What the bleep!

Your dad asked you to clear his dishes and you were taken aback! Like it's something unhumanely egrogious. God of mercy!

Instead of them changing the world into a better place for their gender, they are trying to be foolish. Is this how the first set did theirs? I'm finding every lass who's commented broken. Like those men whose loins they were sired from produced just gaffes. Like those men commited a very asinine act when they erupted in their mums. Even someone I held in high esteem couldn't make a positive difference. Hers was superbly fatuos.
This is what has been motivating them to get into polyandry, too. That pejorative reasoning their pea-sized brains has always been renowned for. Fûck Feminists - those wrong headed ones!

Mute4real, you spoke the truth.

3 Likes

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 25, 2015
Ishilove or Obinnau, could you benign move this thread to it's apposite section and frontpage it?

Let's be intelligent.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 7:29am On Jul 25, 2015
Kitme:
Mtcheeew......
I held you in better esteem than this.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:54am On Jul 25, 2015
Feminism is a good idea/philosophy

The problem is that there are some few foolish man-hating women that are feminists. They use feminism for their wicked agenda.

Feminism is about equal rights for women. Simple and cool. We should listen to feminists like Chimamanda Adichie, who actually gives a damn about equal rights.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Kitme(f): 8:02am On Jul 25, 2015
thronekid:
Wow! See the colleens 'mtcheeeewing' to real talk. What the bleep!

Your dad asked you to clear his dishes and you were taken aback! Like it's something unhumanely egrogious. God of mercy!

Instead of them changing the world into a better place for their gender, they are trying to be foolish. Is this how the first set did theirs? I'm finding every lass who's commented broken. Like those men whose loins they were sired from produced just gaffes. Like those men commited a very asinine act when they erupted in their mums. Even someone I held in high esteem couldn't make a positive difference. Hers was superbly fatuos.
This is what has been motivating them to get into polyandry, too. That pejorative reasoning their pea-sized brains has always been renowned for. Fûck Feminists - those wrong headed ones!

Mute4real, you spoke the truth.
hey throne....I have my reason for commenting in such way.
Girls (We) were raised to shrink ourselves, make our ambitions smaller, because men would get threaten if they were bigger, we were raised to cater for the delicate overbloated ego of men, at such they named us, 'weaker vessels',
Well, I don't entirely agree with a girl not doing her household work, there should be respect for your husband, but my problem is that I can't shrink my ambition for any man.
P.S--i'm not a feminist.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 9:27am On Jul 25, 2015
Kitme:

hey throne....I have my reason for commenting in such way.
Girls (We) were raised to shrink ourselves, make our ambitions smaller, because men would get threaten if they were bigger, we were raised to cater for the delicate overbloated ego of men, at such they named us, 'weaker vessels',
Well, I don't entirely agree with a girl not doing her household work, there should be respect for your husband, but my problem is that I can't shrink my ambition for any man.
P.S--i'm not a feminist.
Don't be a bi.
You can't clear your dad or husband's plates when either is done eating. Isn't it?
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Kitme(f): 10:04am On Jul 25, 2015
thronekid:

Don't be a bi.
You can't clear your dad or husband's plates when either is done eating. Isn't it?
Why not?
My achievements doesn't stop that and I won't let any maid do my duties for me
But don't ask me to limit my ambition, I can fight for that
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Ishilove: 10:24am On Jul 25, 2015
thronekid:
Ishilove or Obinnau, could you benign move this thread to it's apposite section and frontpage it?

Let's be intelligent.
Please can you repeat your request in understandable English? I don't understand what you have written.

2 Likes

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 25, 2015
Ishilove:

Please can you repeat your request in understandable English? I don't understand what you have written.
But I'm merely a squatter in your shadow. Anyways, could you kindly move this the thread to it's appropiate or right section and front page it?
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by mute4real: 1:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
Kitme:

Why not?
My achievements doesn't stop that and I won't let any maid do my duties for me
But don't ask me to limit my ambition, I can fight for that

Kitme, was there anywhere in the article where you were asked to limit your ambition? Your very first comment was a "Mtchew." Now, explain why you hissed at the article, you are beating about the bush. Where was it written in the article that you should limit your ambition?
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jul 25, 2015
mute4real:

Kitme, was there anywhere in the article where you were asked to limit your ambition? Your very first comment was a "Mtchew." Now, explain why you hissed at the article, you are beating about the bush. Where was it written in the article that you should limit your ambition?
Thanks.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Kitme(f): 7:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
mute4real:

I guess you are the op, right?
Yes, I said mtcheew because you are biased, you're speaking from the warped mentality of an average nigerian men
Anyways, if you don't see feminism as a threat, why the long, boring epistle?
To each his own, and may God grant you the wisdom to accept things you can't change..(Feminism)

1 Like

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by eitsei(m): 8:10pm On Jul 25, 2015
Kitme:

Yes, I said mtcheew because you are biased, you're speaking from the warped mentality of an average nigerian men
To each his own, and may God grant you the wisdom to accept things you can't change..(Feminism)
biased?
simple things u don't understand cos he wrote dis to condemn feminism means his mentality is warped........mtcheeew......nobody is saying a woman should limit her ambition for a man n dat doesn't mean a woman should also forget no matter what she does to equal her male counterpart she can never be a man cos God even rates a man above a woman
we refer to God as 'he' not SHE
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by mute4real: 2:49am On Jul 26, 2015
Kitme:

Is it that you have problems answering simple questions? What is biased in that article? State one sentence in the article that is biased? Just one sentence, not two.
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by adeoladrg(m): 8:31am On Jul 26, 2015
Good article
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Hidentity(m): 5:05pm On Jul 26, 2015
I don't see the concept as a problem in itself, however, when anything comes to Nigeria, it is like giving a stethoscope to a carpenter, he will attempt using it as a nailing tool. Abuse is inefficient. I support feminism, I can be one for the great ladies whose prospects and chances are troubled by primitive mentalities of African convention, but quote me, I can't for a Nigerian lady for now.

I've not met any who has the right mental understanding of feminism. It is not relegating men to the back seat or revolting against anything that has to do with men as many wrongly hold, it is less aggressive and more effective.

2 Likes

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by mute4real: 8:31am On Jul 31, 2015
Hidentity:
I don't see the concept as a problem in itself, however, when anything comes to Nigeria, it is like giving a stethoscope to a carpenter, he will attempt using it as a nailing tool. Abuse is inefficient. I support feminism, I can be one for the great ladies whose prospects and chances are troubled by primitive mentalities of African convention, but quote me, I can't for a Nigerian lady for now.

I've not met any who has the right mental understanding of feminism. It is not relegating men to the back seat or revolting against anything that has to do with men as many wrongly hold, it is less aggressive and more effective.

You've spoken well. We like misconstruing things.

1 Like

Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Olasco93: 3:06pm On Sep 27, 2015
I can see another important reason why Marriages end in Divorce these days just because 'girls' are refusing to accept and live the Truth.

Thank you Mr. Mute4real for this article. It helped
Re: What My Feminist Sisters Don't Know by Hannysmilez(f): 3:39pm On Sep 28, 2015
Very Impressive piece. Personally,i feel people have misunderstood dz whole feminism stuff bcoz honestly smtimes i listen to speeches nd read some articles nd im lyk WTF are dz folks talkin 'bout.
We nid people lyk u 2set d record straight. There are alot of presin issues affectin d female community nd "feminists" waste time nd money campaignin 2 'free the nipples' nd advicin ladies 2quit using sanitary pads. Let me define "Beating around the bush."

(1) (Reply)

Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete / The Heart By Switz Eps 1♥♥♥ / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.