Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,965 members, 7,810,676 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:09 PM

Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete (1971 Views)

A Story Of Pleasure (A Short Romantic Story) / Me, You, And Them: Book 1 (A Romance Novellete By Kayode Odusanya) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 8:46pm On May 20, 2015
INORDINATE PLEASURES
All rights reserved. No part of this material may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means electronic or mechanical including photocopying, recording or by any information storage retrieval system without any written permission from the author.
*************"

Mr Atie looked at his gleaming Rolex watch to confirm if he was late for the meeting which was to hold at the Port Harcourt refinery complex. He was over a hundred feet above the ground as he sat ensconced in the Calverton helicopter used by the National Oil Company for ferrying top officials from one location to another. He is indeed a top official as he is among the board members of the supervisory arm of the refinery division of the National oil firm. He had already been retired after he had put in over thirty years of service but due to his valuable experience he had been engaged as a supervisory official.
Mr Atie could deem himself a lucky fellow as he had managed to escape the numerous wants that plagued his early years. At the age of sixty-five he had done very well in his professional and family duties. He and his wife had four children who have all gone on to different promising occupations. They had two boys and two girls and the eldest son and daughter were already married with the others getting set to emulate their other siblings. All said and done Mr Atie was primed to go into a successful retirement with a steady stream of regular income as a result of his regular pension and the added payment from his refinery supervisory duties. He was due to meet with some of the senior officials to discuss the turnaround maintenance of the Port Harcourt refinery. Despite the enormity of the task ahead he had a much bigger problem to conquer.
He had been feeling weak and dissatisfied of recent. Every day he had woken up with a nagging feeling and a void in his heart. He felt like he was missing out on something and he felt the strain all over even though his physical appearance suggested a man at ease with himself. Once he received the invitation from the committee he felt a moment of relief as he saw it as an escape route from his conflicting state of mind. He was suddenly jolted out of his worries by the pilot’s announcement that they had a few minutes before they reach the Port Harcourt Refinery helipad. He readjusted his navy blue suit, examined his suitcase and made sure everything was in order before the helicopter finally landed on the helipad. He was met on arrival by some of the committee members who quickly ushered him into the office of the managing director. Among the committee members was his friend Mr David. They had both studied petrochemical engineering at the University of Benin and they both secured graduate employment at the National Oil Company immediately after their National youth service. Despite the fact that they had been separated as a result of transfers they had managed to keep their friendship intact. The meeting was the first of the committee so they quickly discussed the proposal for the project, the time duration and the funds required which had already been released by the government. After an hour of debate they adjourned the meeting till the next day hoping to discuss more.
Mr Atie was indeed happy to see his friend as they strolled down the parking lot.
‘’ How do you do?’’ Mr David asked.
‘’ I am doing great how about you’’ Mr Atie replied.
‘’ Very fine as you can see… I am just happy to see you. This project is really turning out to be a blessing indeed’’ he smiled back.
‘’ Yeah. So how about family’’ Mr Atie continued.
‘’ Fine… You just won’t stop being that family man I used to know right from time’’ Mr David replied in jest.
‘’ Family is very important’’ Mr Atie replied brusquely.
‘’ So how are you coping with retirement……I know that you are really struggling to adjust due to your love for responsibilities’’ Mr David said.
Mr Atie felt a little nudge in his heart. His friend had made the right observation and he knew it would be futile to lie at this point.
‘’ Yeah….It has been a bit of a struggle,’’ He turned to look at him at this point and then continued’’ I have been feeling a kind of boredom of recent. I think I am missing out on something important’’
‘’ It’s always like that sometimes. It happens to me also but in your case I think you are missing out on some real fun’’ Mr David replied barely concealing a smile.
He patted Mr Atie on his shoulder’’ I will leave you at this point for you to go to your room to rest. We will discuss tomorrow. Just glad to see you in person’’ he shook his hand once again before they separated.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 9:22pm On May 20, 2015
Mr Atie went to the parking lot where he had his official car was parked. He entered the car and the chauffeur quickly reversed as they drove out of the office complex. Once in the owner’s corner he could barely push his recent worries away. He took in the sight of the ever changing city of Port Harcourt and tried to force in a calm atmosphere. The project at the refinery was less of a bother as he had less duties to perform which he was already used to. The car soon got to Bayside hotel where he had earlier booked a room. It was an exclusive lounge for the wealthy class in the Port city whose clientele comprises of mainly workers employed in the Oil servicing industry. He has always had a soft spot for his status and usually kept it at bay whenever he is in public but he was quick to enjoy the comfort that comes with it. He had a light meal at the restaurant before going back to the room. He had made up his mind to study the proposal before the meeting the next day.

Deborah woke up that Thursday morning feeling a slight headache. It was like a sad reminder of the fact that she and her project mates had little time to raise up the necessary fund to complete a proper design of their final year project. She is a final year student of the department of Mechanical Engineering at Federal University of Port Harcourt. She had not been able to raise the outstanding sum due to the dire financial situation at home. Her mother is a widow who lost her father when Deborah and her siblings were still in their tender years. Her mother works as a teacher in the State government service and she had managed to train Deborah and her other siblings to an appreciable level. She has three other siblings, two were still in Secondary School while the other was about to gain admission into the University. As a result of the huge financial responsibilities at home she was expecting very little assistance from home which would amount to little compared to the sum she would need to finish up the project. She sat up on her mattress as she studied their group proposal. The room was free of any human movement as her roommate had already gone for her lectures. She had little to do on this day except her meeting with her fellow project mates.
She and her project partners have been friends right from the onset and the cause may not be far from the fact that they were just among the five females that were in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. They had decided to form a team when the time for submission of project was announced. Due to their unrelenting quest for innovation they had taken up a project that was deemed too tasking. They had designed a machine which converted solar energy to electrical power. Deborah and her friends had managed to pull together some of the necessary resources to get it to near-completion. Unfortunately they had all run out of funds with no help in sight for any of them. Also the semester had just a month left and their supervisor was already demanding for the complete project.
Deborah stood up immediately she had read the proposal even though it was not needed at that time. She had scheduled a meeting with her friends hoping something good might just come out of it. She had her bath and dressed up. She left for one of the restaurant in the School where they had decided to meet. Once she was there she waited a little while before they came around to where she was seated. Ese is the oldest among them, she is a bit tall and quite fat while Ene is short, pretty and ebony skinned. The both of them could be described as an embodiment of beauty and brain. Deborah on her part is tall, slim with her black skin complementing her overall beauty. They were three uncommon girls who found great pleasure in their studies hence they were unwilling to bend to the wish of their Supervisor who was insistent that they shelve the project since they have been unable to fund it to completion.
‘’ Any news?’ Deborah asked suddenly after they had exchanged pleasantries.
‘’ You are supposed to be helping out with the new, not us’’ Ene replied.
‘’You should know what I am talking about. The Prof is not an issue at this point’’ Deborah replied with a little tightening of her eye brows.
‘’Deborah we know what you are talking about. The thing is that I don’t have enough right now’’ Ese replied quietly.
Deborah felt her chest tighten at this point. She was not feeling any better and she knew her friends reply was nothing new as they had their last meeting just three days ago. She had hoped for some miracle to happen before she meets Professor Ike who is their project Supervisor the next day.
‘’It’s just unfortunate that we are caught up in this. The Prof asked me to see him tomorrow and you are very sure he will ask about this.’’ She replied clearly expressing her fears.
‘’It’s a sticky situation. At this point there is nothing we can do now, we have no option than to face whatever he has for us’’ Ese said.
A moment of silence was soon consumed by inaudible fears which they fought hard to conceal. Deborah had a much bigger task as she was the leader. She feared the reaction of Professor Ike but there was nothing she could do at this point.
‘’Girls we just have to hope for something good to come out of that meeting’’ Deborah looked at them and then continued’’ I will give you details when I am through with the meeting’’.
She stood up while Ese and Ene followed as they walked out of the restaurant. They were already feeling sorry for themselves as they knew time was running fast against them.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 7:17am On May 21, 2015
Mr Atie arrived the Refinery complex earlier than the time scheduled for the meeting. He had made the necessary corrections to the proposal for the project and he was feeling a bit relieved from the previous day’s exertions. He took a stroll to the office complex where he went straight to the Conference room. Just a few minutes to ten the others came in to join him. The meeting began in earnest as they discussed the proposal and the project design. It was going to be a tedious and tasking project as the funds were quite limited. Also the Federal Government had decided against inviting foreign engineers to take part in it. They discussed all the variables and likely problem that might arise and different measures were suggested to curtail them. It was a full room of contented individuals that rose up from the meeting after about four hours. They made a swift resolution and it was decided that Mr Atie would visit Professor Ike at the University of Port Harcourt to seek his technical assistance. They all gathered their materials and left the conference room. While the others departed for their various offices Mr David walked up to Mr Atie and they strolled down the balcony.
‘’ So how are you?’ Mr David asked.
‘’ I am fine. Just feeling bored… remember what I complained to you about when we met yesterday,’’ he turned to look at him’’…what about you, are you not feeling bored’’
Mr David smirked and replied’’ no why should I be bored, rather I am feeling good. I noticed your imbalance yesterday when I saw you. What is making you to lose steam’’
‘’ Dave it’s just that I am feeling quite unoccupied. I just feel I am missing out on something’’
‘’ You just won’t drop this anti-social habit of yours. You should be enjoying yourself now rather than bother with those things that are already done,’’ he looked at him directly’’ I think you just need some beautiful tender hands on you’’
‘’ What do you mean by that? ’Mr Atie asked.
‘’ Nothing that you can’t handle. I think you should come with me to the club this Night’’ he replied.
‘’ You can’t be serious,’’Mr Atie answered with a look of incredulity’’ I just can’t believe you are asking me to go with you to a club. You just want me to go after some young ladies.’’
‘’ Sure….that’s all we have to do now. These ladies need some sugar-daddy to help them fund their materialistic lifestyle which I believe you are capable of doing’’ he patted him on the shoulder ‘don’t worry, judging from your expression I believe you are thinking of your wife.’’
‘’ Sure,’’ Mr Atie replied defiantly ‘you are not giving me a good advice’’
‘’ You just have to drop those misconceptions of yours and accept the new life that has been given to us. You don’t have to develop any hard feelings, after all your wife is not here’’ he replied with persuasively.
Mr Atie examined the bland look on His friend’s face for some time as if his life depends on it. He was not eager to jump into a decision that had always appeared a thousand yards away from him. After what seem like an eternity he turned to his friend.
‘’ When are you going?’ he asked suddenly.
‘’ Don’t worry I will come to pick you on my way there. Just be ready by 8:30pm’’ Mr David replied.
He patted Mr Atie on his shoulder, smiled and walked away. Mr Atie walked slowly to the car park, he was set to leave but he was already feeling apprehensive about the decision he had just taken. He had been unable to present a solution to the problem that had been raging in his heart ever since his retirement. He just felt that the suggestion of his friend could just be the turning point for him. Just then he remembered he had not called his wife since he arrived Port Harcourt from Warri. He shrugged as he was not ready to let guilt take over his heart, he walked straight to his car and the chauffeur opened the door. He took his seat and they drove out of the Refinery complex.
By the time Mr David arrived the hotel in the evening, Mr Atie was ready and immediately his phone rang he walked outside to the car park where he had his car parked. He drove just behind Mr David as they headed to Groovy’s Night club which was in the heart of the city. Mr Atie drove himself as his chauffeur had gone home and he was unwilling to let his first visit become a blown out secret. He had always detested the idea of keeping a concubine outside his home and this he was going to maintain regardless of what happens in the club. After about twenty minutes of driving through a smooth traffic they got to the Club. The environment was already buzzing with activities as its mainly young patrons walked into the one storey building. He waited to park beside Mr David’s car before they both headed to the entrance. The entrance was guarded by a huge muscular man, a necessary precaution as a result of the unpredictable realities of the environment. Mr Atie strolled behind Mr David as they walked to the entrance. He was hailed by the guard who ostensibly recognised him as a regular patron.
‘’Hail Pete how are you doing ’he asked immediately.
‘’ I am fine sir, Good evening sir’’ the guard replied swiftly giving a slight bow.
‘’ This is my brother from another mother’’ he said smiling at Mr Atie.
‘’ Good evening Sir, you are welcome’’ the guard quickly replied.
Mr Atie replied with a wave of hand as they walked into the Night club. As soon as they walked past the door they were welcomed by music from the blaring overhead speakers. Some of the customers and patrons sat at various strategic place chatting and having fun. Some others were at the bar where they drank all form of alcoholic drinks and wine. The overall setting was buzzing even though there was no one on the dance floor. Mr Atie walked behind Mr David as they took the stairs to the first floor. Mr David walked with a swagger and occasionally exchanged greetings with those they met along the way. They walked to a room which was directly facing the huge reception at the ground floor. The room has a glass table in the middle with two large leather chairs adjacent each other. Mr David sat on the one facing the table while Mr Atie sat on the other furniture.
‘’ You just have to feel relaxed.’’ Mr David said in a reassuring manner.
Mr Atie threw a bland look at him before turning to look at the flat screen which hung on the wall by the left side of the door close to the entrance. He was feeling uncomfortable but at the same time he felt at ease and kept on waiting for their next move. After some minutes a lady edging closer to middle age entered the room. She was a bit tall and wore a tight pair of leggings with a tight fitting blue blouse. She walked straight to Mr David as Mr Atie watched.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 9:15am On May 22, 2015
‘’ Good evening Don…..’’ She hailed.
‘’ Good evening madam Tops, how are you. ’Mr David asked brusquely.
‘’ I am fine.’ She replied before turning to look at Mr Atie.
Mr David turned to Mr Atie ‘’ Madam Tops that is my friend, Mr Atie’’
‘’ Good evening Sir’’ She greeted.
‘’ Good evening’’ Mr Atie replied.
‘’ You know the usual just help me with some of those fine wines and some chicks…my friend will need some also’’ Mr David said quickly.
Madam Tops stood up and left the room. The activities in the ground floor was becoming intense as noise mixed with music filtered into the room. Mr Atie tried to concentrate on the television but his curiosity was already heightened at this point. He got up from his seat and went to sit beside Mr David.
‘’ What next?’ he asked.
‘’ You just wait and see. I told you that we are in for much fun. We will be having some wonderful guests soon’’ Mr David replied in a reassuring tone.
Mr David urged him to move back to his seat. After a few minutes a steward came in with a tray carrying three bottles of different brand of alcoholic drinks and two glasses. He arranged it neatly on the table, opened one of the bottles and poured a little potion into the two glasses. He handed a glass of wine to Mr David and handed the other to Mr Atie. He left immediately he was through with the task while the two friends both drank from their glasses. They waited for a few minutes before three ladies who were scantily dressed walked into the room. They were quite young and their bodies glowed with youth and beauty. Mr David looked in admiration at them while Mr Atie watched in utter surprise.
‘’ Ify how are you’’ Mr David asked in a confident tone.
‘’ Don I am fine’’ She replied and then turned to her companions’ ’don, these are my friends I told you about. This are Peace and Anna’’
‘’ You’ve done well’’ Mr David replied utterly caught up with the reverie that awaits him.
He eyed Mr Atie and then turned to the girls.
‘’ Ify this is my friend, I believe you brought his own?’ Mr David asked.
She replied with a nod and she pointed to Anna who walked to where Mr Atie was sitting while Ify and Peace went to sit beside Mr David. They sat at either side of Mr David who held them close with glee. Mr Atie glanced at Anna who sat quietly beside him. He was definitely not interested in such practices and he wasn’t going to change his stance at this point. He smiled warily at Anna before handing her his glass which still contained wine. She was a bit cautious as she took the glass from him. He knew she was still a young girl who was gradually ascending the stairs of promiscuity with an aim of satisfying some indefinable desires of hers’. He suddenly started feeling uncomfortable as a result of the environment and tried seeking the attention of his friend who was already chatting happily with his escorts. He waited for some few minutes before standing up in a bid to leave the place. Mr David looked up in surprise.
‘’ Are you leaving already?’ he asked.
‘’ Yes but don’t worry, I think I and Anna should just leave for some other place’’ he replied with a tinge of persuasion.
Mr David smiled with a bit of admiration. He felt a burst of pleasure at the thought of his friend’s softening his earlier stance. He signalled at Anna who stood up and they both walked out of the room. The activities on the ground floor was already at a frenetic pace as the patrons danced with glee and complete excitement to the various hip hop jams coming from the speaker. A steward came to their rescue as he ushered them through the crowd of dancers. Mr Atie waved at the guard to acknowledge his greeting as he headed for his car with Anna following behind. She had a small statue with her pretty face making her one irresistible damsel. He had driven a Chrysler to the club and as he opened the door Anna looked in admiration at the beautiful leather finishing of the interior. Once she entered the car he drove out of the premises. He drove slowly as he felt the inviting sight and calm of the night.
‘’ Anna what do you do?’ he asked suddenly.
‘’ I am a student at Uniport’’ she replied.
‘’ That’s good what level and what course are you studying?’ he asked.
‘’ I am in part three studying Business Administration’’ she replied.
‘’ That’s good. You and your friends must be of the same department’’ he said.
‘’ No….we are roommates’’
Mr Atie breathed a little in complete surprise. This was not a new trend but it was unfortunate he was witnessing this unhealthy social trend. He drove silently for a while as he headed towards the other side of the town as the Night club was quite far from he stays. Once they were driving close to the university area he turned to Anna who was sitting quietly beside him.
‘’ Where do you live….is it on Campus or outside?’ he asked.
Anna was flustered at the question but she managed to force a smile ‘’ I live outside the Campus close to the school’’
Mr Atie drove further before stopping a bit close to the gate.
‘’ This place should not be far from your house’’ he said turning to her. A look of disapproval came on her face’’ I can see you are not happy with my decision but I am feeling quiet unwell today. I wouldn’t want you to kill me…...’’ he said forcing a smile.
‘’ Don’t worry I will hook up with you later’’ he said dismissively and noticing her feeble protest’’ I know how to get to you’’
Anna was visibly unhappy and Mr Atie was obviously not surprised. He opened his dashboard and brought out a pen and a piece of paper. He wrote down some few things, dug his hand into his breast pocket and selected some naira notes. He handed everything to her while she received it without any hesitation. He waved away her feeble effort at a thank-you and she opened the door and came down. He drove away immediately as he watched her unfurl what he had handed to her. He had given her a sum of two thousand naira along with a note which read
‘’ Go and face your studies and get a better life and forget about this sleaze you are engaged in’’
He smiled wryly as if he could read her thoughts of protestations. His thoughts suddenly relapsed into that feeling of discomfort which unfortunately had deserted him all that while. A feeling of guilt was about coming on him but he quickly shrugged it off. He wasn’t going to pander to such ungainly pleasure. He drove on leisurely until he got to the Bayside hotel. He horned as the gatekeeper quickly obliged by opening the gate. He waved him to acknowledge his greeting as he drove inside. He opened the door and walked towards the entrance. He glanced at his watch, it was already eleven pm. It came to him like a surprise as he had barely considered the time he had spent at the club. He had indeed escaped his gnawing thoughts for some time. Once he got to his room he took his clothes off and climbed his bed. He was just going to enjoy his sleep not in the least concerned about what reverie his friend might be engaged in.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 5:24pm On May 22, 2015
Ghost on my trail, please I will appreciate as much comments and criticism you guys can offer.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Sinmi53(m): 5:15am On May 23, 2015
nice start.....keep em coming
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 12:04pm On May 23, 2015
Sinmi53:
nice start.....keep em coming
Thanks very much sir, hope u will enjoy d remaining part.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 3:48pm On May 23, 2015
Mr Atie left for the University of Port Harcourt before it was ten that Friday morning. His destination was the department of Mechanical Engineering where he was to meet with Professor Ike, a technical partner to the National Oil Company and a direct partner in the turnaround maintenance of the Refinery. He felt the rays of the sun as they drove to the University Campus. He was at ease with himself even though he had not enjoyed the events of the previous night. He had made up his mind to engage in something that is more interesting and meaningful. He could only smile at his own predicament which he knew was minor compared to that of others of his age and time. He was still in the hunt for a suitable engagement and he wasn’t going to let anyone derail his future plans. Once they were in the School, he watched as the students and officials walked from one point to another. He had always admired the School from how far and he was not willing to let whatever impression Ify and her friends had left in his mind to detract his admiration. Once they stopped at the department of Mechanical Engineering he walked up into the building. The department is built in form of a bungalow with some room designated as offices in it. He hesitated in knocking once he found Prof. Ike’s office as he heard voices from within and he decided against standing so he went to sit on an empty chair. Some few minutes passed before his attention was stirred by the forceful closure of the door and a tearful outburst. He turned round to see the tall slim figure of a lady shaking from a somewhat powerful outburst. She walked forward a little before she leaned against the wall with Mr Atie watching intently. His attention had suddenly shifted from the reason he came to this sobbing lady who might need a little help. He hesitated to go and meet her even if his mind was urging him to do otherwise as he was not ready to send out any wrong message. He waited a little while and seeing that she remained where she had stopped earlier, he walked up to her. He touched her lightly on her shoulder, he waited as she hurried to clean her tears. She turned to look at the unknown person behind her. Mr Atie noticed her futile efforts as she tried to shield her eyes which was full of unexpressed fears and pains.
‘’ Good morning’’ Mr Atie greeted immediately she turned.
‘’ Good morning sir’’ she greeted inaudibly.
‘’ I see you are not feeling well. I am Mr Atie, a friend of Professor Ike. I came to see him’’ he said.
She quickly pointed to the office she just left’’ that is it Sir’’
‘’ Thank you’’ he dug his hand into his breast pocket and brought out a card which he stretched towards her’’ Sorry but I think I can help you. You can call the number on this card’’
It was a quick transfer which Mr Atie could not hesitate to run away from. Here he was handing his business card to an unknown female undergraduate while he easily shunned the one offered to him on a platter the previous night. The girl collected it reluctantly but hesitated to put it away as she watched Mr Atie until he went inside Professor Ike’s office. Mr Atie was really surprised that she took the card and he dashed straight for the office in order to avoid any possible rejection.

Deborah felt distress well up within her as she stood up from her bed. She had barely recovered from thinking through the problems that might arise as a result of Professor Ike’s rejection of their plea for an adjustment in their final year research work. She looked at her phone and saw that the time was 3:00pm. She sighed as she heaved herself up from her bed. She had slept off for about four hours which was quite unusual. Her final examination was fast approaching, despite her heightened expectation of receiving that beautiful tag of a ‘’Graduate’’, she had suffered from depression recently as a result of her struggles with the research work. She took her bag which she had laid beside her head before dozing off. Once she opened it she felt a tiny piece of paper and she brought it out. She found the card, her mind suddenly recalled the strange man she met in School in the morning. She had been unable to reject the man’s advances then but she wasn’t going to let the man’s plan get to her. She couldn’t define what nature of help the man could offer her at this point of her greatest worry or in the future. She felt he could be one of those old men who preyed on young university girls to satisfy their sexual desires considering his noble appearance which gave him away as a rich man. She had always had a disgust for such men and she was not going to be another victim of theirs. She resolved to throw the card away in order for her to ward off any unusual pressure or temptation. She stood up to go and carry out the action when she suddenly remembered the man’s word that he could help her as he is a friend of Professor Ike. She stopped to ponder over the stream of opportunities that opened itself to her mind. Definitely if the man meant what he said he was going to be a suitable option but the snag was the fact that such men usually demand something in return. The pathetic sight she was when the man met her had also given her away.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 10:49pm On May 24, 2015
She resolved not to let the chance go as she dialled the number on the card. The phone rang for a while but there was no answer. Due to her increasing fear and anxiety she decided not to call again as she feared this could be a good omen to protect her against a stranger with suspicious motives. She tried thinking about something else but she couldn’t concentrate due to her divided thoughts over the man. Soon she was bailed out of her misery when her phone rang. She took it up and looked with dread at the number on the screen. It was the same number she had just dialled, she answered immediately.
‘’ Hello’’ she said.
‘’ Good afternoon who am I speaking to?’ Mr Atie asked.
‘’ Good afternoon sir, you gave me your business card this morning and you asked me to call you’’ she replied.
‘’ Okay…I am quite busy now. Maybe we should meet this evening, will you be available then?’ he ask
She just could not believe that this man was setting the stage for him to carry out his selfish motive. She suddenly got lost in her thoughts.
‘’ Hello!’ Mr Atie exclaimed.
‘’ Sorry Sir….. I will be available then’’ she retorted.
‘’ Alright, You should come to The Place restaurant around 7:00pm. Do you know the place?’ he asked.
‘’ I think so…I will ask my friends to be sure’’ she replied.
‘’ Anyway but just call me when you come around’’ he replied and the line went off.
She dropped the phone angrily. She just couldn’t believe that she had given the predator a chance to prey on her. She was sure going to end up with him on his bed and she had vowed never to engage in such. She had always nursed hatred for her mates and other ladies who readily gave their bodies away to such men in exchange for a favour. Unfortunately she could eventually end up carrying this stigma all her life even if it would eventually be done in secret. She suddenly took up a firm decision not to go. She was not going to let her present want to serve as an excuse to pander to the wish of someone old enough to be her father. Just as she was trying to add more steel to her wall of defence she suddenly remembered the warning from Professor Ike.
‘’ By next week I want to see your project or else three of you should start preparing for next session’’
It was the final word from Professor Ike and this has led to her outburst in the morning. She couldn’t imagine the pain and distress that would come on her once she misses out on graduation this year. Also her mother would surely suffer more as a result of her hope on her future support for the family. She couldn’t bring herself to imagine the fate that would befall her if her graduation from school is delayed for a session. Unfortunately her options were limited and Mr Atie’s offer was the best among all she had at the moment. She quickly shoved all thoughts of opposition and made up her mind to go and see Mr Atie. She checked her time and saw that it was very much close to 5:00pm. She started to prepare in earnest, but first she have to confirm the address of the place. She called her friend Peace who she believe knows the place as a result of her escapades. Peace gave her the address and she thanked her. Next up she went to her wardrobe and looked at her clothes. They were mostly skirts and blouses. In her innocent imagination she knew this would be very inappropriate for this occasion. At the worst, this could be a huge turnoff for Mr Atie and she made end up losing whatever favour he may want to give to her. She suddenly stopped in her tracks as she realised that she had been giving undue reverence to a dishonourable pursuit. She loathed her feelings of sexual appeal but she just couldn’t wish it away. Her eyes soon caught a beautiful sequin gown which was given to her by favourite aunt when she celebrated her last birthday. She held the gown and gazed at it intently. The last time she wore it, she was the cynosure of all around her especially the male folk. She knew this would do the trick and therefore decided to wear it. She hung it on a nail in the wall and then went to pick her phone. She was going to listen to some music tracks stored up in her phone in order to let her mind go to rest for a while.

Mr Atie felt the chilling effect of the air conditioner as he sat in ‘’ The Place’’ restaurant. It was the venue for his meeting with an unusual friend. He had not thought much about what he could offer her or what relationship they could share at the time he met her. He was just drawn to her poor emotional state and his instinct had pushed him into action. Once he had given her the card he had waited with anticipation for her to call before he gave a thought to what he could offer her. Though he had a relationship with Professor Ike, it was mainly on a professional level rather than personal. He had surely placed himself in a fixed spot which he was eager to move from. He ordered for a wine whose taste he felt would calm the building tension in his heart which he was unwilling to disclose. He had really been unable to arrest his worries of recent and this was freaking him out. Just as his thoughts continue to rumble, his phone rang. It was the girl’s phone number which he had saved with an ‘’ Undecided’’ tag. The time was 7:00pm, he was impressed at her punctuality.
He answered the call and asked her to give the phone to the gatekeeper. He asked him to let her in since the place had a preference for those who could come in hence the need for exclusive permission. Once she arrived at the door he smiled and stood up from his seat. She saw him and walked straight to him. He just couldn’t resist the urge to admire her stunning beauty which was complemented by her beautiful sequin gown. She reached where he was sitting and he pointed her to the chair directly in front of him for her to sit on.
‘’ Sorry I failed to ask you your name’’ he said.
‘’ My name is Deborah’’ she replied.
‘’ Alright Deborah or should I say Debbie?’ he asked with a smile on his face.
‘’ Sir anyone you feel you can call comfortably ’’ she replied forcing a smile.
‘’ Alright Deborah what do you intend to take?’ he asked.
‘’ Nothing sir’’ she replied.
She just wished at the moment that a spirit of clairvoyance would come upon her. What could this fine gentleman have up in his sleeves? She just hoped he had no evil agenda.
‘’ Alright, since you don’t want anything maybe we should discuss then’’ he said and then continued’’ Maybe our first point of contact would be appropriate, what caused you to cry?’ he asked.
She felt uncomfortable once she got the implication but she wasn’t going to prove too smart. She narrated her present predicament which was mainly about her project and the lack of finance to complete it. She also gave him clues to how he could help them due to his relationship with Professor Ike.
‘’ I now know the reason why a pretty girl like you would be crying in such a place. I think I can help you though I am not going to meet with Professor Ike’’ he replied.
She smiled at the possibility but her thoughts on him where not conclusive yet. He had behaved differently so far from the thoughts that had dominated her mind since she called him.
‘’ How about if I give you the remaining money for the project?’ he asked.
She was quite stunned as she gaped at him in wonder. Mr Atie smiled contentedly safe in the knowledge that his offer had been duly accepted.
‘’ But I will like to see what you and your mates have done so far. I wouldn’t want my money to go to waste’’ he said.
‘’ Sir that’s no problem. It all depends on when you are ready to see it’’ she replied barely suppressing her joy.
‘’ If it is okay with you and your mates, I think we could meet around noon tomorrow’’ he suggested.
‘’ We will be ready then Sir’’ she replied.
‘’ So how about the location?’ he asked.
She brought out a pen and paper and wrote it out for him. Once he received it he went on to read it and they discussed a little further about the location as it was quite confusing to him.
‘’ Alright’’ he said as he looked at his watch before turning to her’’ It’s still early in the evening, maybe I should let you go at this point’’
Suddenly Deborah just couldn’t believe that everything happening at the moment was real. She had regretfully expected that evil request. Instead of relief to envelope her she instead developed a feeling of fear. She suspected that the man could just be one weird guy that was out to deceive and feed on her vulnerable expectations. Suddenly she was feeling guilty for not giving him a clue to her fears. Mr Atie smiled at her as he felt a bit of empathy. This was his situation some years ago and his children could have faced such a situation at any point in their lives. He wasn’t going to take advantage of her.
‘’ Can we go now?’ he enquired once again.
‘’ Okay sir’’ she replied.
She stood up immediately they walked out of the restaurant. They discussed about her expectations for the future and her school work as they strolled to the gate. She volunteered all possible information which he acknowledged. Mr Atie was impressed with her and he was willing to go on with his promise to help her. Once they got to the gate he took her hands and gave her some money. She just couldn’t refuse it as she received it with mixed feelings. Nothing was certain yet and she was keeping her fingers crossed about his promise to fund the remaining part of their project. He bade her goodbye as he returned back to the restaurant. Deborah walked a little while feeling the chilling air calm her confused thoughts before she got to the main road. She entered a taxi which would take her back to her hostel.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by stez: 4:30pm On May 26, 2015
good story line u got here pls cont. Don't be disourage
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Sinmi53(m): 8:33pm On May 26, 2015
waiting....pls carry on
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 12:02am On May 27, 2015
stez:
good story line u got here pls cont. Don't be disourage
Thanks for the encouragement.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 12:05am On May 27, 2015
Sinmi53:
waiting....pls carry on
Your presence here inspires me sir, hope not to disappoint.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by mictima(m): 7:05am On May 27, 2015
it's about time this thread will explode with followers and comments. .. keep it up sir.. I'm feeling this
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 8:42am On May 27, 2015
mictima:
it's about time this thread will explode with followers and comments. .. keep it up sir.. I'm feeling this
You are welcome sir.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 8:48am On May 27, 2015
Deborah asked Ene and Ese to come around to the department an hour before the proposed meeting with Mr Atie. She had been careful not to disclose the reason for the call and they arrived with a look of fear visibly written on their faces. They took a stroll to a tree that was close to the building and they stood facing each other.
‘’ I went to see Prof Ike yesterday. He said that he will not accept our project the way it is, which means we must raise the money or face the possibility of an extra year’’ she announced slowly.
The possibility slowly dawned on both of them and the fear they all held in their heart became manifest in their faces. Deborah felt pity for both of them but she was not ready to disclose anything yet as she was still suspect of Mr Atie’s offer. She intended to keep them in suspense until Mr Atie fulfils his promise.
‘’ So what do we do now?’ Ene asked suddenly.
‘’ I have thought hard about this since yesterday and I have not been able to come up with a possible solution’’ Deborah replied.
‘’ This is becoming more difficult each day. I really don’t know what to say now’’ Ese chipped in.
‘’ Professor Ike is proving uncooperative if not I would have gone to see him’’ Ene blurted out.
‘’ I have thought about that possibility but Professor Ike is really busy at the moment’’ Deborah replied.
Ese rested her back at the foot of the tree completely at odds with the trial she and her friends were going through. Deborah looked at her wrist watch at intervals as she was eager for the arrival of Mr Atie before her partners begin to leave. Ene walked to the central bill board where information concerning their department were duly pasted from time to time. She examined the contents displayed on the board for a while before returning to meet with Deborah and Ese.
‘’ Alright what do we do now?’ Ene asked immediately.
‘’ Alright I am expecting someone who have decided to help with the remaining money’’ Deborah said.
It was a sudden announcement which Ene and Ese were hesitant to react to. They had not expected such due to Deborah’s earlier assertion.
‘’ The person will be here around noon which is about ten minutes from now. I am not sure yet because it’s a promise’’ Deborah continued in a cautious tone.
Instead of Ene and Ese to relapse into their previous state, they suddenly became excited. Deborah seeing the change in their mood suddenly felt confident. Instead of their conversation to embolden her, she had become discouraged by the fact that he gave her five thousand naira without her giving him anything in return. Just as they changed to some other topics of interest, a Chrysler stopped in the car park. Deborah looked at her watch immediately and saw that it was almost twelve. That must be Mr Atie she thought as she watched the second door of the car open.
Once Mr Atie came down he looked around the environment before his eyes came to rest on the three girls under the tree. He watched them for a while before he noticed Deborah. He pointed to her as she was also staring at him. Deborah acted on the command and she and her friends walked towards him. Deborah got to him ahead of the other girls.
‘’ Good afternoon sir’’ she greeted.
‘’ Good afternoon, are these your friends?’ he asked.
‘’ Yes Sir’’ Deborah replied before turning to call them.
Ene and Ese walked to where they were standing.
‘’ Good afternoon Sir’’ they both greeted.
‘’ Good afternoon’’ Mr Atie replied.
‘’ Sir the project is at the warehouse which is a little distance away from this place’’ Deborah said.
‘’ Alright…. Can we go in my car?’ he asked.
‘’ Yes if that’s what you want Sir’’ Deborah replied.
They all entered the car and drove a short distance to the warehouse. Once they got to the front of the building they stopped in front of it. It was a single building whose lifespan was gradually coming to an end. Deborah and her friends walked ahead of Mr Atie to the warehouse whose central door was open. A man came out of the building as Deborah and her friends approached it. They talked a while before he let them go in. The man greeted Mr Atie and then asked him to wait outside as the girls were going to bring the project outside. The three of them soon returned with a piece of equipment in their hands. It was still in skeletal form and they dropped it once they were outside the entrance. Mr Atie examined it carefully with a puzzled look in his face.
‘’ So what next?’ he asked after a while.
‘’ Sir, this is still the earliest phase but the materials needed to complete it have already been identified. The only problem is that we don’t the money to buy those materials. The remaining task will not take long to complete’’ Deborah explained.
‘’ Alright….I think I will help you with the remaining money’’ he announced to their delight’’ I believe you and your friends will not fail me judging by your desire.’’
They were very happy and they thanked him. He asked his chauffeur for his brief case and he brought it immediately. He gave them forty thousand naira. It was double delight as Deborah received the money from him. Mr Atie was quite excited at their reaction but was careful to suppress his cheerfulness. He waited a little while before calling Deborah aside.
‘’ I believe that money will be enough?’ he asked.
‘’ Yes Sir’’ she replied.
‘’ Alright… I just need something from you’’ he said suddenly.
Suddenly her heart beat increased. Thoughts of different possibilities assailed her all pointing to the possibility of Mr Atie asking her to come sleep with him. There was little resistance left in her unless she wanted a sudden change in their mood. She considered so many things which he possibly ask in return apart from her being his bed mate.
‘’ As I said earlier, I am excited at the possibilities of this your project. It goes a lot to show the type of people you and your friends are. The only thing you all can do to repay me is for you to complete it so that my money don’t go to waste’’ he said after a while.
‘’ Is that all Sir?’ Deborah asked in relief.
‘’ Yes that’s all’’ he replied.
She was clearly lost for words as Mr Atie gave her a rare smile. He called out to the other girls and bade them good bye. Once he was through he left the warehouse leaving Deborah and her friends to savour their joy. As Mr Atie reclined at the back seat he felt a little comfort but he just felt that he would have to do more. What was a distant thought was slowly unravelling itself and the possibility was no longer in doubt. He would open a foundation to cater to the financial demands of such projects that could solve environmental and socio economic issues. He had just begun a journey which will ultimately prove a more fulfilling responsibility in his life time.

THE END
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 11:39pm On Jun 03, 2015
I did appreciate more comments and criticisms.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Mrshroud: 12:42am On Jun 04, 2015
Very wonderful. Keep it up bro.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 8:10am On Jun 04, 2015
The use of "Mr." with a protagonist's name was intentional. Not something people do all the time. Good one breaking from the norm.

Errr, I did however, notice an error or two. I think the most apparent was a bit of an issue with tenses. Take this statement for instance: " He and his wife had four children who
have all gone on to different promising
occupations."

We are assuming the four children have already, errr, gone on to different occupations. In that case you should have used "had" instead of "have" since we're completely depicting events that have already happened.

then this: "It was
an exclusive lounge for the wealthy class in the
Port city whose clientele comprises of mainly
workers" Technically, it can come across as correct (I'm not sure, till i get that degree in English language!) but at least for ease of reading, you could use "was" then "comprised" or "is" then "comprises". Keeps the tenses in the same family, don't you think?

Just sha take a look at certain points in your writeup and watch out for mistakes with use of tenses. You can't say keep using "liked" for nearly half the passage, switch to present tense in "likes" for two sentences then revert back to past tense. It appears inconsistent and confuses the reader.

Oh, and spacing. You need to better space your paragraphs. Makes reading easier.

Asides those, I actually like your story, though i'm not much one for drama. I like your use of language - goodness knows it's better than a lot I've seen on this board and I like the fact that it does not span 42 pages. Yes, that is actually a good thing. Thank you!
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 9:33am On Jun 04, 2015
@Sebonzakurakageyoshi, I really appreciate your analysis and I will look into all you have mentioned so far. Thanks for the time.
Re: Inordinate Pleasure: A Novellete by Akposb(m): 9:36am On Jun 04, 2015
Mrshroud:
Very wonderful. Keep it up bro.
You are welcome and thanks for stopping by.

(1) (Reply)

The Heart By Switz Eps 1♥♥♥ / Memoirs Of A Repentant Hooker: Episode 1 / Desperation (obsession, Love And Revenge)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.