Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:36 AM

Foss Nigeria 2009 (open Source Software Conference) - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Foss Nigeria 2009 (open Source Software Conference) (1041 Views)

[C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service / Challenges For Open Source Software In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Foss Nigeria 2009 (open Source Software Conference) by IG: 8:03pm On Mar 13, 2009
A conference organized by Hutsoft Nigeria LTD and Center For Information Technology (C.I.T) of Bayero University Kano.
It took place from 6-9 March 2009. Many reasons made this conference different.

1- It was all about free software
2- It was a conference which jeans (& sometimes Kaftan) wearing programmers and not suit wearing businessmen delivered talks.
3- It took place in Kano, one of the most culturally conservative towns in the North. Even other Northerners find a lot of things about Kano really interesting.
4- At least 400-500 new open source software users/developers were made.
5- Kano state through it's commissioner of Science and Technology have thrown it's weight behind the idea of deploying Open Source Software in government.

Talks were given by the vice president of K.D.E foundation Adrian de Groot, Ibrahim A. Dasuma of Hutsoft Nigeria, Jonathan Riddel of Canonical (makers of Ubuntu Linux), Mustapha Abubakar also of Hutsoft, Dr Bashir Galadanchi (Kano state commissioner of science and technology) e.t.c

I wanted to post some pics from the conference but it's like Jonathan Riddle has already posted some in his blog and flickr.

Jonathan's blog
http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3915

flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jriddell/sets/72157614991241443/

I know some of the organizers and I know they use to hang around on Nairaland. I don't know wether they have announced the conference on Nairaland but
I though they did. So I was looking forward to meeting some Nairalanders in person at the conference. Unfortunately that didn't happen.
Who knows maybe we'll get some Nairalanders at FOSS Nigeria 2010 or even get Seun to give a talk.
Re: Foss Nigeria 2009 (open Source Software Conference) by mni: 10:18am On Mar 22, 2009
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Learn Adobe.flash.cs5 / Help On How To Process Naira Master Card With Php / Vb.net Vb6 And Asp.net Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.