Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,785 members, 7,827,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:41 PM

Creating An Open-source Java Web Service - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Creating An Open-source Java Web Service (15322 Views)

Advise On Good Java Web Application Framework / [C++ Open Source] Relax! ( File Management Tool) / Web Service Using Java Or C# (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 7:53pm On Jul 28, 2012
Hello guys, i'm creating an open source, platform independent web service in Java for different gadgets ranging from Laptops to Smart Phones to Mobile Phones. It will contain TOP 10 ratings and ranking of different brands in each category. It will also contain a web service portal which web masters could implement in their web applications irrespective of the language they use. I'm calling on anyone who is interested in joining me. i"m currently in need of anyone who has experience in:-

1, Java Web Component Development (JSP & Servlets)
2, Java Web Service Development
3, A web Designer (HTML & CSS)
4, A Graphic Designer
5, A Web Administrator - To assist in things like updating the Web Site/Web Service/Fan Page Regularly
Also i'll need people who are experienced in consuming web services in PHP and ASP.NET to test the web service as we Progress

Please anyone who is interested or has any suggestion should indicate on this thread.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:01pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ok...For those wondering where i'll be getting my data from here it is:-
Laptops:- http://computers.toptenreviews.com/laptops
Mobile Phones:- http://www.gsmarena.com/stats.php3
Smart Phones:- http://cell-phones.toptenreviews.com/smartphones

I am currently uploading the entire Project Directory @ sourceforge, when i am true i'll keep you posted
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
UPDATE

This is the link to the project @ sourceforge https://sourceforge.net/projects/javawebservice/

You can download the entire Netbeans.zip file unzip and deploy with glassfish.

I've created the databse using MYSQL. It contains 3 tables for laptops, smart phones and mobile phones. I have also created the web service for each category. You can edit and contribute to it in anyway you can...i'll really appreciate it. I'm currently working on the front end of the website that will be used to update the web service at regular interval.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:50pm On Jul 28, 2012
UPDATE

I'm not too good in web design...although i've been able to do a little work but it dosen't look nice...i'll appreciate if some one will take up that role...and modify the little i've done...while i concenterate on other aspects
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:55pm On Jul 28, 2012
Any volunteer or suggestions??
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 8:56pm On Jul 28, 2012
Javanian: UPDATE

I'm not too good in web design...although i've been able to do a little work but it dosen't look nice...i'll appreciate if some one will take up that role...and modify the little i've done...while i concenterate on other aspects
Don;t worry about the look.. that can be fixed any time.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:00pm On Jul 28, 2012
A-ZeD:

Don;t worry about the look.. that can be fixed any time.

yeah...i know but if it dosen't look good i might be discouraged...Thanks anyway...i wish you could contribute to the project grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 9:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
I would like to but......
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ok...i just thought of adding a new functionality to it. I was thinking of creating a module that will retreive data from the database and create an Excel spreadsheet with it. The excel spread sheet will then generate a bar graph/pie chart for each category and save the image as .jpg file, which will be visible in the front end. Although its quite complex i might give it a try...i hope its a good idea??...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2012
EDIT: grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2012
A-ZeD:
I would like to but......
but what nah?? sad
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 9:34pm On Jul 28, 2012
Javanian:
but what nah?? sad
Currently contributing to a Nairaland project(https://www.nairaland.com/930302/2012-summer-code-work-commenced) and i dont want to make a commitment i can't honour.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2012
By the way, are you using the project to learn something or because you are trying to fulfill a need?
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:42pm On Jul 28, 2012
A-ZeD:
By the way, are you using the project to learn something or because you are trying to fulfill a need?
hmmm...i intend hosting it and making it free....also i intend learning from it...thats why i invited you guys to contribute and assist me...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 9:49pm On Jul 28, 2012
Javanian:
hmmm...i intend hosting it and making it free....also i intend learning from it...thats why i invited you guys to contribute and assist me...
Ok... I would help grin grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 9:51pm On Jul 28, 2012
Thanks...so what aspect are you taking up?? grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2012
I program in php and vb.net so where would i fall in?
Oh by the way, i can't really do any coding until tuesday. I've got lots of work which i have to finish asap.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:11pm On Jul 28, 2012
A-ZeD:
I program in php and vb.net so where would i fall in?
Oh by the way, i can't really do any coding until tuesday. I've got lots of work which i have to finish asap.

ok..
1, you can do the web/graphic design(front end).
2, you can help test the web service on a PHP Application when i eventually deploy it.
3, you can also give ideas on adding more functionality to it.

You can choose 1 or take all 3...i wouldn't mind grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 10:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
Javanian:

ok..
1, you can do the web/graphic design(front end).
2, you can help test the web service on a PHP Application when i eventually deploy it.
3, you can also give ideas on adding more functionality to it.

You can choose 1 or take all 3...i wouldn't mind grin
probably 2 and 3.
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:28pm On Jul 28, 2012
Ok...No probs...

More volunteers and suggestions will be appreciated...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2012
UPDATE
I've just created a logo for it. The logo will be displayed in the web service with a link back to my web site (the front end)...what do you think guys??

Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 10:57pm On Jul 28, 2012
grin
I would like to help, but am not a fan of Java

Javanian: Ok...i just thought of adding a new functionality to it. I was thinking of creating a module that will retreive data from the database and create an Excel spreadsheet with it. The excel spread sheet will then generate a bar graph/pie chart for each category and save the image as .jpg file, which will be visible in the front end. Although its quite complex i might give it a try...i hope its a good idea??...

eeehmm, i thought this is for the service consumers. In my experience, just give us the data and we'll do with it as we please cool

Javanian: Thanks...so what aspect are you taking up?? grin

Am proficient in PHP/SQL and all Front end stuffs(i hate front end, its a waste of my time embarassed . Except JavaScript ofcourse).
So what is left for me angry
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
spikes C: grin
I would like to help, but am not a fan of Java

eeehmm, i thought this is for the service consumers. In my experience, just give us the data and we'll do with it as we please cool
ok...No probs...i'll forget about it... grin

Am proficient in PHP/SQL and all Front end stuffs(i hate front end, its a waste of my time embarassed . Except JavaScript ofcourse).
So what is left for me angry
Please take the front end...it will really make the work faster...its just going to be a simple site...i'm sure it wont take much time...Do you accept it??
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 11:26pm On Jul 28, 2012
Javanian:
ok...No probs...i'll forget about it... grin

No pls don't, you can have multiple options and data to return. Infact i think i now understand the kind of web service you're creating, something like a javascript widget(e.g jobberman's job board service).

Meanwhile, different programmers can create libraries in their own language for accessing the web service

Javanian:
Please take the front end...it will really make the work faster...its just going to be a simple site...i'm sure it wont take much time...Do you accept it??

[size=14pt]Yes mom, am coming!!![/size]

I'll be back grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:33pm On Jul 28, 2012
spikes C:

No pls don't, you can have multiple options and data to return. Infact i think i now understand the kind of web service you're creating, something like a javascript widget(e.g jobberman's job board service).

Meanwhile, different programmers can create libraries in their own language for accessing the web service
ok...i get your point...i'll get back to it...

[size=14pt]Yes mom, am coming!!![/size]

I'll be back grin
is that a yes ??grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by spikesC(m): 12:11am On Jul 29, 2012
Javanian:
is that a yes ??grin

Don't worry, it will surely be taken care of, we have so many front end guys here. I'll help too
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 12:15am On Jul 29, 2012
Ok...i'm currently on mobile...when i'm on my p.c....i'll zip my web folder and upload to sourceforge...so that you and everyone can see how far i've gone...and have an idea of how its meant to look...but the design sucks...beleive me grin ....then you can make it look nice...
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 8:35am On Jul 29, 2012
Good Morning guys, @ Spikes C and all who might be interested in the front end i have just uploaded it to sourceforge this is the link https://sourceforge.net/projects/javawebservice/files/ . The name of the file is "Website Template.zip". it doesn't look nice and its just a page. When you open it you will get an idea of what I'm looking for. @Spike c its now over to you...Please put your best in it grin

Any other person who is interested in doing the front end can also download it, make modifications and upload it to souceforge
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 11:11am On Jul 29, 2012
Volunteers and suggestions are highly welcome
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by AZeD1(m): 1:35pm On Jul 29, 2012
Javanian: Good Morning guys, @ Spikes C and all who might be interested in the front end i have just uploaded it to sourceforge this is the link https://sourceforge.net/projects/javawebservice/files/ . The name of the file is "Website Template.zip". it doesn't look nice and its just a page. When you open it you will get an idea of what I'm looking for. @Spike c its now over to you...Please put your best in it grin

Any other person who is interested in doing the front end can also download it, make modifications and upload it to souceforge

Babe you no dey go chuuch
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2012
lol...grin
Re: Creating An Open-source Java Web Service by Javanian: 3:59pm On Jul 29, 2012
OPINIONS
i'm left with two options on how the web service is to work

1, the web service will retreive data from the database and create tables and graphs dynamically which will then be implemented by the consumer directly in his web application
pros
- it will make work easier for both the developer and consumer
cons
- it lacks flexibility as the consumer may have something else in mind to do with the data

2, create a class library for different languages that will enable the consumer manipulate the data as he wills
pros
- it gives the consumer a lot of flexibility
cons
- it will be a tedious task for the developers writing a new class library for each language(java, PHP, ASP.NET).
- it will be a difficult task for consumers who are new to making use of external class libraries
- it will kill the idea of platform independence in the web service

which do i go for guys??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Degree Vs Experience: Which Do Employers Prefer? / Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / Function Points (FP) Vs Lines Of Code (LOC)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.