Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,215 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:31 AM

Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun (22895 Views)

Lawyer Brutalized By Soldiers In Delta Left To Die (Photos) / New Photos Of The Woman Who Was Brutalized By Soldiers In Lagos / Crippled Man Brutalized By Nigerian Soldiers Has Been Found (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by HungerBAD: 5:27am On Jul 25, 2015
Family demands trial of 3 cops who beat 8-month pregnant housewife into coma.

“Take me to my son, I want to see him”, Chika Elekawachi pleaded with family members who were still lost in thought on how to break the news of the death of her baby. Chika is the eight-month preg­nant woman who was allegedly brutalized by three policemen attached to the Satellite Police Division in Lagos on Sunday, July 19, 2015.

The cops allegedly stripped the woman naked after accusing her of resisting ar­rest. She was allegedly assaulted before she was dragged to the police station. Her fam­ily members later rushed her to Safe Hands Hospital, old Ojo road, Amuwo, Lagos, after she allegedly passed out at the police station.

Her family members got the shock of their lives when the doctor on duty said in the presence of policemen that Chika was hale and hearty. Unfortunately, she started bleeding at about 11pm on Monday when she was rushed into the theatre for surgery. Although the baby boy was delivered on Tuesday alive, and rushed to Outreach Hos­pital in Festac town, Lagos, which had a functional incubator, the baby died less than 48 hours after.

Her family members have cried out over what they described as an attempt by the police to sweep the matter under the carpet. This is even as the Lagos police command had ordered the immediate arrest and deten­tion of the suspects soon after the authouri­ties learnt that the baby had died.

Chika’s version

Chika told Saturday Sun reporters on her hospital bed before the surgery that about 8pm on Sunday, she left two of her kids at home and was heading to a shop at Agboju, in Oriade Local Council Development Area (LCDA) to buy some foodstuffs for the house.

“I suddenly noticed a bus coming behind me. The bus obstructed me and one of the occupants came out, pointed a gun at me and shouted that I should park. He threatened to shoot if I didn’t park.

“When I discovered that they were police­men, I tried to explain to them that I wanted to park my car so that I could enter the shop. The incident happened at Pako bus stop along Ojo road where there were so many tankers and lorries parked indiscriminately.

“I begged the one that was wearing a black T-shirt to allow me to go, as I was pregnant. Then, he called me a prostitute. I was angry and reminded him that I am a mar­ried woman with two kids. I warned him not to call me a prostitute again. But the police­man dragged me down from the car, even as passers-by and my friend were begging him to let me go.

“While I was screaming for help, saying, ‘I am not a thief,’ they tore my trousers. I was not putting on any underwear, so they stripped me naked. They were dragging me, saying I must enter their vehicle, but I re­fused. They dragged me on the road, but I insisted that I would go with them in my car. In the process, my legs and my stomach were bruised,” she said.

She said she was eventually bundled into the police vehicle and taken to the station, even in her virtually naked state.

“On getting to the police station, I pleaded with them to allow me get a cloth from the shop. I was begging them so that I could meet any woman nearby to give me a wrap­per because I was naked. People around were asking me what happened, and I replied that the policemen did that to me, even though I’m not a thief. Because, with the way I was treated, one could mistake me for a thief. I had to bite one of the policemen on the back.

“I then entered one provision store near the station where I met a woman who gave me this gown. My phone was in my vehicle and I told the police officers that they should allow me call my people to inform them that I was at the station, but they refused. They said I must be put in the cell. I was run­ning around, trying to get a phone, but no one would give me their phone because they thought I was a mad woman. They were just looking at me. I then saw a young girl, and I spoke to her in Igbo, telling her I was not a thief. She was the one that gave me her phone and I called my sister, because her number was the one I could easily recall. I told her what was happening, so she came with her husband that night and met me at the police station. They were asking me what happened, but her husband said we had to find those who assaulted me. So, we went into the police station and met the Divisional Crime Officer (DCO). He told us to explain what happened, but as I was talking, I felt dizzy and passed out,” she said.

Police insisted she was pretend­ing-Witness

The victim’s sister, Favour Ifebuzor, ex­plained that she rushed down to the police station as soon as she got the distress call from her sister.

“When my husband and I arrived at the scene, I saw my younger sister sitting on a pavement, looking weak. So, we took her into the station to find out what happened. My sister told me that she was feeling weak and dizzy, but the policemen rudely told her to stand up and explain what happened. As she tried to explain, the man at the counter was saying, ‘Why don’t you have respect for an officer in uniform? Why did you slap a policeman?’ My sister said it was when the policeman forcefully held her cloth and dragged her that she did that, because it’s lawful for one to defend oneself from dan­ger. So, as they were forcefully quizzing her, I told the policeman that she was weak and could slump.

“My sister was also whispering to me that she was feeling weak. So, she fell on the ground. And she was crying, saying ‘O my baby, my baby.’ Then she started foam­ing in the mouth. The policemen there were saying, ‘she is pretending. Let her stay there, she is not serious.’ They were just watching, including the DCO. My husband was saying, ‘You people have killed someone’s wife and mother. Take her. She is your responsibility.’ My husband was dragging me so that we could go, but I told him to have patience. I said; let me get some water, because my sis­ter was dying. I went to one shop and bought a sachet of water, came back and started pouring it on my sister’s head and body, but she was not responding. Instead, her tongue was coming out, foaming.

“I was so scared because her stomach pro­truded and her body was getting cold. I had to beg one man to help me look for a vehicle. When he got the vehicle, I told the police­men to help me put her in the vehicle, but they were just looking at me. I was confused. The driver of the vehicle and the man that went to get him were the ones that helped me put her in the car. The biscuits I bought for my children and my phone, I didn’t even know where I kept them. It was when they put her in the vehicle that I remembered that my phone was on the counter at the station, and I went to the counter and picked my phone.

“I then told the policemen that I was tak­ing her to the hospital, and that if anything happened to her, I would hold them respon­sible. The vehicle had already left. They took her to Safe Hands Hospital, and my husband and I walked to the hospital. When we got there, the doctor told us she was going into labour, and that we needed to move her to the General Hospital. I was confused. Then I called my sister who also came with her husband. But we heard the policeman who had come there telling the doctor that she was okay. The policeman told the doctor: ‘She’s okay now. You will write everything that she is okay, and that nobody beat her.’ So, the doctor certified her okay, and that she was not in labour again, that he had put eve­rything in order. But this morning, she went into labour again,” Favour told our reporters.

Doctor’s goof

At the hospital, the doctor on duty, Okoawo Innocent, who spoke on behalf of the management, admitted that Chika was rushed into the hospital half conscious. He said all necessary tests were carried out, noting that the results showed that the baby was intact. He, however, said that the victim would be kept under observation.

Saturday Sun gathered that Safe Hands hospital was one of the best in the area but in an attempt to please the policemen who were battling to prove that Chika was actu­ally pretending to be in labour, they corrobo­rated their claim.

The doctor on duty despite the bruises and the fact that Chika was brought into the hos­pital unconscious, said that she was perfectly okay. He even suggested that Chika should be released to her family to go home.

Battle to save Chika and baby’s life

But the doctor’s assertion was proved wrong, as Chika soon after started bleed­ing. As a result, the doctor on duty became confused and requested that another scan be conducted. He was shocked to discover that the placenta had been detached from the baby and Chika was bleeding heavily inside. To save her life and that of the baby, she was wheeled into the theatre where the baby was forced out of her.

The Satellite police station DPO was alerted that the story had changed. It dawned on him and some senior officers that Chika’s story could be true as the officers involved in the assault had sworn that they did not raise a finger against her. The officers involved who were seen going about their normal duty were immediately arrested and detained.

Realising that it was not business as usual, policemen were mobilized to ensure that the ever busy Badagry expressway was cleared to ensure free access to Outreach medical hospital where the premature baby could be put in an incubator. The little one who was already weak as a result of the delay died less than 48 hours after.

Chika’s relative told Saturday Sun that at about 4am on Thursday, Chika called insist­ing that they should go and check her baby. “I told her that it was too early but she kept insisting that I must move over to the hospi­tal that something is wrong. It was then that my phone rang again and it was the doctor. She told me that the baby had just passed on. It is rather unfortunate,” she said.

On getting to the hospital, senior officers, including the Satellite DPO, were seen leav­ing after sighting the dead baby and consol­ing the family. He was said to have been sup­portive and promised that the suspects would be prosecuted accordingly. He was said to have pleaded with the family members that the police would pay the bill incurred by the family.

On the cause of death, Dr Efunbu Dosekun of Outreach Hospital, who spoke with Satur­day Sun, explained that the baby had breath­ing problem which they battled all through the night to control. “It is rare for a prema­ture baby to survive because there must have been a problem that led to the child being born earlier. When he was rushed in to our hospital, we did all we could to save his life.

“The best thing is for the family to go for an autopsy to have a clear understanding of what really happened. Chika’s placenta de­tached from the baby and the unborn child was breathing on its own inside his mother’s womb. We thank God that Chika did not bleed to death before the doctors on duty discovered that”, she stated.

She advised that proper medical check-up should be done on Chika to correct the dam­age that could have been done.

Take me to my son, Chika insists

Back to Safe Hands Hospital where Chika looked well and happy. She told her sisters that she wanted to be relocated to the hospi­tal where her baby was. “Take me to my son. I need to see my son. Police did not succeed in taking him away from me. I am so happy. I will take him abroad to see his father”, she stood up pacing around frantically trying to pick her bags.

As at press time, she had, however, been informed of the death of her baby and trans­ferred to another hospital for proper medical examination. “She has not stopped crying. Our major concern at the moment is how to save her life. We had to transfer her to anoth­er hospital that is not under the jurisdiction of Satellite police station. It appears that the doctors are afraid of the police, that is why they lied. If our sister did not start bleed­ing from her virgina, she would have bled to death. We thank God for her life,” one of the relatives who spoke to Saturday Sun on phone said.

They will be prosecuted if found culpable –Police

Confirming the incident, Lagos State Po­lice Command spokesman, Kenneth Nwosu, a deputy superintendent of police (DSP), as­sured that investigation was ongoing to as­certain what actually transpired. He said the suspected policemen had been arrested and were in detention, adding that they would be prosecuted according to the law guiding the force.

“The Nigerian police has a procedure which will be followed in ensuring that the suspects will be disciplined”, he added.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/brutalised-womans-baby-dies-in-incubator/

cc: lalasticlala, Seun,Ishilove

1 Like

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by HungerBAD: 5:28am On Jul 25, 2015
Speechless.

Another life has just been taken.

Just as the Police shot and killed my younger sister's husband at a check point, saying it was an accidental discharge because they carry guns.

Just as hundred's of innocent Nigerian's are killed yearly by the Police, because they carry guns.

Just as those innocent ibo boys were killed in Abuja some years back because they carry guns.

Just as those Northern traders were killed and their bodies burned, along Lokoja-Abuja road some years back because they carry guns.

Just as thousands of mostly the poor illiterate Nigerians are bulled and oppressed by the Police, because they carry gun.

Sometimes, you are just left speechless with what to say or even what to write.

When this mother set out from home that day, she did not know that she will not only end up nearly losing her life, but losing her child too.

I could have been that child in that woman's belly, it could have been you in her womb, it could have been any of us who just go their live's snuffed out.

That child could have been great. That child was just Murdered by sadly, the people that were suppose to save lives.

This story touches me personally,as i am reliving what my younger one went through and is still going through with her kids, just because a drunk policeman was given a gun.

Sometimes, even a sinner and an Atheist Prays. And this is a good time for prayers.

May we and our family never encounter anything that will cut our live's short.

305 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by cerzo(m): 5:28am On Jul 25, 2015
Police is ur fu**ing friend..i read this story abt d arrest and brutality conferred on her by d police and now the baby is dead...help us Baba God

HUNGERBAD..i guess that d hungry worms in ur stomach re d reason y u re awake nd tryn to steal ftc from me

2 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by DTOBS(m): 5:35am On Jul 25, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by donholy28(m): 5:38am On Jul 25, 2015
Imagine!!! Policemen that re supposed to be protecting us...God punish all of them

27 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by chomchom1(f): 5:40am On Jul 25, 2015
Tomorrow now thy wil say police na ua friend lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Rip innocent baby

Mean why where is Robot introvert grin?

2 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by HungerBAD: 5:47am On Jul 25, 2015
cerzo:
Police is ur fu**ing friend..i read this story abt d release and brutality conferred on her by d police and now the baby is dead...help us Baba God

HUNGERBAD..i guess that d hungry worms in ur stomach re d reason y u re awake nd tryn to steal ftc from me

I apologize, had to write something. This is not just another story to me.

7 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by cerzo(m): 5:52am On Jul 25, 2015
HungerBAD:

I apologize, had to write something. This is not just another story to me.

I feel ur pain bro...take heart...this country must be safe 4 us one day

4 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by mascot87(m): 6:41am On Jul 25, 2015
All the police officers involved in this act of shame will never know peace for the rest of there miserable life. Asé

62 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by entparrot(f): 6:57am On Jul 25, 2015
I can't believe the police force, will do this to a pregnant woman.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by dre11(m): 7:02am On Jul 25, 2015
These policeman that did this evil will be visited with evil very soon.

Hope no one will pity them when it becomes a reality

How the whole story happened was first posted here
https://www.nairaland.com/2472820/policemen-brutalise-eight-month-pregnant-woman
Until now
Condolences to the family

8 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by entparrot(f): 7:03am On Jul 25, 2015
Shame on our IG Arase, for just talking with no action, if truly his talks are very effective, this policemen won't have the guts to treat a pregnant woman, this way.

7 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by ogunwalea(m): 7:31am On Jul 25, 2015
Our security personnel has now turned to a threat..... I fear police pass armed robbers. undecided

1 Like

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:31am On Jul 25, 2015
This case must be followed up by human rights o

Those evil spirit called police men must start accounting for their deeds angry

The other day I had issues with them, I had to beg my angry mom to keep her calm because these wicked coos can do anything.

Most times they'll tell you "I will shoot you and nothing will happen" which is true angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by youngice(m): 7:32am On Jul 25, 2015
Get a lawyer
Go to these activist NGO
Tell your story and sue the NPF
Then demand that they go to jail
My heart felt condolences

8 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Brytawon(m): 7:33am On Jul 25, 2015
I was walking around when i saw a cashier hand this little boy his money back, the boy couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 years old. The Cashier said, 'I'm sorry, but you don't have enough money to buy this doll.'' The little boy turned to the old woman next to him, ''Granny, are you sure I don't have enough money?'' She replied, ''You know that you don't have enough money to buy this doll, my dear.'' Then she asked him to stay there for just 5 minutes while she went to look around. She left quickly. The little boy was still holding the doll in his hand. Finally, I walked toward him and I asked him who he wished to give this doll to. 'It's the doll that my sister loved most and wanted so much for Christmas. She was sure that Santa Claus would bring it to her.' I replied to him that maybe Santa Claus would bring it to her after all, and not to worry. But he replied to me sadly. 'No, Santa Claus can't bring it to her where she is now. I have to give the doll to my mommy so that she can give it to my sister when she goes there.' His eyes were so sad while saying this, 'My Sister has gone to be with God. Daddy says that Mommy is going to see God very soon too, so I thought that she could take the doll with her to give it to my sister.'' My heart nearly stopped. The little boy looked up at me and said, 'I told daddy to tell mommy not to go yet. I need her to wait until I come back from the mall.' Then he showed me a very nice photo of himself. He was laughing. He then told me 'I want mommy to take my picture with her so she won't forget me.' 'I love my mommy and I wish she didn't have to leave me, but daddy says that she has to go to be with my little sister.' Then he looked again at the doll with sad eyes, very quietly. I quickly reached for my wallet and said to the boy. 'Suppose we check again, just in case you do have enough money for the doll!'' OK' he said, 'I hope I do have enough.' I added some of my money to his without him seeing and we started to count it. There was enough for the doll and even some spare money. The little boy said, 'Thank you God for giving me enough money!' Then he looked at me and added, 'I asked last night before I went to sleep for God to make sure I had enough money to buy this doll, so that mommy could give it to my sister. He heard me!'' 'I also wanted to have enough money to buy a white rose for my mommy, but I didn't dare to ask God for too much. But He gave me enough to buy the doll and a white rose.'' 'My mommy loves white roses.' A few minutes later, the old lady returned and I left with my basket. I finished my shopping in a totally different state of mind from when I started. I couldn't get the little boy out of my mind. Then I remembered a local newspaper article two days ago, which mentioned a drunk man in a truck, who hit a car occupied by a young woman and a little girl. The little girl died right away and the mother was left in a critical state. The family had to decide whether to pull the plug on the life-sustaining machine because the young woman would not be able to recover from the coma. Was this the family of the little boy? Two days after this encounter with the little boy I read in the newspaper that the young woman had passed away. I couldn't stop myself as I bought a bunch of white roses and I went to the funeral home where the body of the young woman was for people to see and make last wishes before her burial. She was there, in her coffin, holding a beautiful white rose in her hand with the photo of the little boy and the doll placed over her chest. I left the place, teary-eyed, feeling that my life had been changed forever. The love that the little boy had for his mother and his sister is still, to this day, hard to imagine, and in a fraction of a second, a drunk driver had taken all this away from him.

66 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Beno3: 7:33am On Jul 25, 2015
God have mercy.
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Nobody: 7:33am On Jul 25, 2015
cry

Policemen? ??
Those ones na human beings?
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by hadizasaf: 7:33am On Jul 25, 2015
Whatsapp/call 08037600752

Or visit our online shop to order now

Konga.com/ks

Outstanding features:
*fully waterproof
*makes call(uses micro sim)
*compatible with iOs and andriod phones
*camera
*uses TF(memory) card
*voice and video recorder
*pedometer,automatically checks your heartrate,monitors your sleep and exercise patterns

More details at konga.com/ks
PS: there are other colours,but we sell only the Gold exclusively for now !!!

1 Share

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by buccal(m): 7:34am On Jul 25, 2015
cry so sad, those policemen mustnt go free....the people meant to protect lifes are the ones taking it..sometimes I just wonder where Nigeria is head..
R.I.P to the young lad

1 Like

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by redcliff: 7:34am On Jul 25, 2015
I think nigeria police should be disbanned. All of them. A new recruitment process should start and make the police gorve more attractive for graduates amd master degree holders. Because i mean, one of the reasons why the nigeria police act so babaric is fue to lack of poverty and poverty mentality and lack of being underpaid and paid late. No orientation, no benefit, no training.

8 Likes

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by ceejay80s(m): 7:34am On Jul 25, 2015
The police officers involved should be hanged and the woman should get 1billion naira compensation, I dey boil as I dey so,
If this case dosent go to court ,then the families of the woman are useless
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by mentorandfriend(m): 7:34am On Jul 25, 2015
I lack words to describe the bunch of brainless, heartless scallywags we call Nigerian police.
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Demmocrats(m): 7:35am On Jul 25, 2015
Police is your friend but they have killed more innocent Nigerians than boko haram since they were formed.
www.
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Sanuzi(m): 7:36am On Jul 25, 2015
wow.so unfortunate
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 25, 2015
Lord have mercy undecided
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by bonechamberlain(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2015
those police men should be compelled to pay damages, useless people
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by hazyfm: 7:37am On Jul 25, 2015
I hate the Nigeria Police ...

1 Like

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Udmaster(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2015
what a painful experience this incidence will be for the woman..
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by alphaStoner(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2015
don't be surprised, the police could still go free, Its Nigeria where police feel like they are the gods

1 Like

Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by Princejebs(m): 7:37am On Jul 25, 2015
me personally I will kill those Coward called olopa naijiria yeye police
Re: Woman Brutalized By Police Baby Dies In Incubator- Daily Sun by buccal(m): 7:38am On Jul 25, 2015
mentorandfriend:
k
nairalandERS...chai

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

20-year-old Mom Exchanges Her 2-month-old Baby For Rice, Cement And N200k / Ogun Police Found Decomposing Body Of Farm Worker On Mango Tree / Identity Of Corpse Abandoned At Edo Hospital Revealed, Police Arrest Suspect

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.