Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa (24864 Views)

Religion Is Very Important And I'm Not Atheist - Mark Zuckerberg, Fbk Founder / 6 Reasons Sunday School Is Important In Your Christian Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 8:27am On Jul 29, 2015
italo:

Now, one question for you and your like which I expect you to dodge: cc adsonstone, freecocoa, herald9,

Cc winner01 pls watch.

The Catholic Church has said that the Eucharist is the actual body and blood of Christ and has said it has observed many eucharistic occurrences affirming this.

Does that declaration make it a scientific fact?

smiley
italo i think your desperation have taken you off balance... You are asking an atheist that the wafer and 12apostles mass wine really turn into blood and flesh..

Everybody reading this will surely know that you have gone deranged because only One word for that claim is "Delusion" Chronic "Delusion" grin
Quote me on that anywhere, That you are too childish and gullible enough to swallow the stories of wafers turning into flesh is in no way my problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by adsonstone: 9:30am On Jul 29, 2015
italo:

No. That is not hypocrisy. I'm perfectly free to choose to list only the good things to you...just like you're free to refuse to list any deeper life deed to me, even after implying they do good. You need to check the dictionary. It's free on google.

What do you call it when someone knows he has good and evil deeds, mentions the good deeds (when not asked) and refuses to mention the evil ones (even when asked) just to seem all entirely good to the world?

italo:

No, it's not a lie. You said those things were done by all denominations (correct me if I'm wrong). How can protestants establish universities that existed before Protestantism? How could protestants have established Easter and Christmas and the Gregorian Calendar that was named after Pope Gregory? How could protestants have preserved literacy by studying in monasteries that they didn't have in an era that they didn't exist?

That's wrong.
I never said it was done by all denominations.

Here's my post again;

.]
All of what you mentioned above is true and
good, including the body that participated... It's
Christianity, not necessarily Roman Catholicism.
[/quote]

I went further to say some deeds that other Christian bodies also did (and in saying that, I did not oppose the fact that the RCC also did that)...I pointed those other bodies contributed and what exactly they contributed.

.:

Prebysterians, Anglicans e.t.c are well known to
have ended sacrificial killings, slavery and many
other vices in so many regions. Many other good related to the ones you mentioned were brought about by non-Christian bodies.

Eg, related good by non-christian bodies such as Islamic Universities.

[quote author=italo
:

No, it isnt. Because Science, in the modern sense of the word refers to the Scientific method in use today, not the ancient 'science' with with Aristotle discovered that the earth was the center of the universe?
In that sense, the Catholic Church practically invented science though Roger Bacon who put together the Scientific method at the Behest of the Pope.

"Several scientific methods thus emerged from
the medieval Muslim world by the early 11th
century, all of which emphasized experimentation
as well as quantification to varying degrees."
- Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/
History_of_scientific_method

Till date, science is still being developed upon.

italo:

grin You're deliberately lying when you say I said Bacon invented "scientific methods" when we both know I said he invented "the scientific method" and qualified it by saying it is the method currently in use today.

In today's science, quantification and experimentation are not enough. The same page you quoted give great detail of what Bacon invented that your ancients didn't practise. Read below:

Roger Bacon was inspired by the writings of Grosseteste. In his account of a method, Bacon described a repeating cycle of observation, hypothesis, experimentation, and the need for independent verification. He recorded the way he had conducted his experiments in precise detail, perhaps with the idea that others could reproduce and independently test his results.

Infact, modern scientific method suggest that those mentioned above aren't still enough, more recently inductions and deductions and even falsifibility etc are necessary for valid conclusions...some of which are not part of what Bacon developed.

It largely proves that Bacon only developed on what was already existing and the whole scientific process is still being developed upon.

Look, scientific method, the scientific methods, scientific methodology refer to essentially the same thing that has been around for a long time and being continually developed upon by many people. So, I am not 'deliberately lying' as accused

italo:

Priests who are scientists...Who are inspired by the support of the Catholic Church for the sciences...many of who learnt and worked in Catholic science institutions designed to pursue science aggressively...some of whose works and research were directly sponsored by the Church...many of whom dedicated their greatest works to the Church, Pope etc...

Yes...I must give the Church credit for these works.

If you show me a priest who was inspired and encouraged by the Church to do bad and I will call his evil an evil of the Church.

You haven't mentioned such a priest so there is no hypocrisy.

"The Church teaches no wrong"

Many of who they've inspired have taught "science" wrongly, so why ascribe it to the Church?

You may say the Church teaches no wrong in "faith and morals" but it doesn't change the fact that it has inspired people who taught wrongly.

italo:

I don't understand this one. Please explain or rephrase.

It is hypocrisy and self deceit when you
refuse to claim that catholicism is christianity yet fail to prove that Kepler and Boyle were roman catholics...after mentioning them.

Corrected.

Can we agree that you're trying to take credit for someone's work if you can't prove that they're Roman Catholics?

italo:

No, it is not. I repeat: strictly speaking, Catholicism is Christianity and Christianity is Catholicism.

The piece above was not my write-up. It was part of a wiki article to show how Christianity influenced civilization. The authors mixed non-Catholics because they were looking at Christianity in a very liberal sense. However, the vast majority of the entire page referred to specifically Catholic deeds...as I have proved by analyzing the article in detail...but you did not like to see it.

So I don't have to prove that all the people in the page are Catholics. They don't have to be.

In that case, do you acknowledge that you mentioned the good deeds of non catholics when you were mentioning the good deeds of Catholicism? I just need a Yes or a No, no long epistles.

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by shalomm: 9:48am On Jul 29, 2015
italo:

Read then about how the Soviets killed millions of Christians to promote State Atheism.

Just Google it.

see your life? the soviet union that was dissolved in 1992 or which one?
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:14am On Jul 29, 2015
shalomm:

see your life? the soviet union that was dissolved in 1992 or which one?

You need to think before you talk. Are we contesting the dissolution date of the Soviet Union?

I mentioned the Soviet Union as an example of State Atheism bring death and destruction on an unprecedented scale.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by herald9: 11:32am On Jul 29, 2015
italo:

Now, one question for you and your like which I expect you to dodge: cc adsonstone, freecocoa, herald9,

Cc winner01 pls watch.

The Catholic Church has said that the Eucharist is the actual body and blood of Christ and has said it has observed many eucharistic occurrences affirming this.

smiley
Sorry, your question is invalid. You can't ask me whether a sacred practice of an organisation I don't belong to is true or not.

Seems I've got much time today, let's have a run down on the person of Bacon. Pay attention to the bold.

was an 1.English philosopher and Franciscan friar who placed considerable emphasis on the study of nature through empirical methods. 2.He is sometimes credited (mainly since the nineteenth century) as one of the earliest European advocates of the modern scientific method inspired by Aristotle and later Arabic scholars such as the Muslim scientist Alhazen .[2] However, more recent re-evaluations emphasise that he was essentially a medieval thinker, with much of his "experimental" knowledge obtained from books, in the scholastic tradition.
Bacon studied at Oxford and may have been a disciple of Grosseteste . He became a master at Oxford, lecturing on
Aristotle
.3 Sometime between 1237 and 1245, he began lecturing at the University of Paris, then the centre of European intellectual life. Where he was between 1247 and 1256 is unknown, but about 1256 he became a friar in the Franciscan Order, and no longer held a teaching post.

4.After 1260, his activities were restricted by a Franciscan statute prohibiting friars from publishing books or pamphlets without prior approval.
Bacon circumvented this through his acquaintance with Cardinal Guy le Gros de Foulques, who became Pope Clement IV in 1265. Clement IV issued a mandate ordering Bacon to write to him concerning the place of philosophy within theology. Bacon sent the Pope his Opus Majus , which presented his views on how to incorporate the philosophy of Aristotle and science into a new Theology. Bacon also sent his Opus minus , De multiplicatione specierum, and possibly other works on alchemy and astrology.
Pope Clement died in 1268 and Bacon lost his protector. Some time between 1277 and 1279, Bacon was apparently imprisoned or placed under house arrest for his excessive credulity in alchemy and for his harsh regard for the other innovators of his time.

Some time after 1278 Bacon returned to the Franciscan House at Oxford, where he continued his studies and is presumed to have spent most of the rest of his life. He is said to have died in June of 1292 (the year of his last dateable writing,
Compendium studii theologiae ) and to be buried in Oxford

°you see, he was a philosopher before he became a Catholic priest/friar.

°He taught on Aristotle, another philosopher.

°Got his empirical ideas from other philosophers.

°He ceased practising alchemy after he became a Catholic priest, which means he might have 'invented' the Scientific Method while he was yet a priest.

°Studying Aristotle means, he got most of his ideas from Aristotle, remember Aristotle was a student of plato, another philosopher.

°He got jailed after the death of Pope Bleep cause of his works in alchemy, which might challenge the beliefs of the church.

Hope that tells you a lot about your Catholic Church and science.

You should be remorseful for the number of scientists imprisoned and burnt up on stake by your church, rather than boldly claiming the Catholic Church invented science.
SMH.

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by italo: 11:54am On Jul 29, 2015
johnydon22:
italo i think your desperation have taken you off balance... You are asking an atheist that the wafer and 12apostles mass wine really turn into blood and flesh..

Everybody reading this will surely know that you have gone deranged because only One word for that claim is "Delusion" Chronic "Delusion" grin
Quote me on that anywhere, That you are too childish and gullible enough to swallow the stories of wafers turning into flesh is in no way my problem.

lol...

I see how you dodged the bulk of my post exposing how Plato didn't justify his claims...and how that makes it way off today's Science standard. Infact, today, scientists would call it bogus claims or 'guess' at best.

I see how you cannot show me anywhere in the book - Timaeus where Plato justified or proved his claim.

Typical Atheist who thinks that a good logical argument is made by shouting many insults at the opponent, while avoiding the issue at hand.

If the Eucharist is delusion, then Plato and Aristotle's works were also delusion.

They didn't use the standard scientific method in use today, which was invented by the Catholic Church.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by adsonstone: 4:05pm On Jul 29, 2015
italo:

Now, one question for you and your like which I expect you to dodge: cc adsonstone

smiley

Jesus explicitly mentioned/taught that the Eucharist is his body and blood (whatever that means), I believe it just as he said it...it is his body and blood.

It does not make it a 'scientific fact' so to speak. Jesus's declaration only means it is the truth that doesn't change.

'Scientific facts' are known to change repeatedly.

*I removed other monikers to avoid them getting too many mentions, just like I was getting.*
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by marcondo13: 4:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
italo:
before you come with more lies, why don't you clear the previous ones:

You said the Church voted by plus one that black had souls in a Church council.

I said tell us which council? You haven't answered.

You said defaulting Popes' fingers are cut off in a secret conclave. I said prove it. No answer.

You said a Church council with only one literate person struck out the Apocrypha.

I said mention the council. No answer.

Do you feel any remorse or shame for telling such big lies against a Church that is not harming you?

As much I would have loved to maintain my silence, I will like to give you a simple advice. Spend your money on good books and stop running to Goggle and Wikipaedia. That is what makes you a good Catholic. This is a simple reason why most Catholics dislike the Jehovah Witnesses, they have a knack for digging up horrors of the Catholic Church ' past!
1. I will not do your job as a Catholic for you. Go to the nearest Catholic Church and ask any Priest about what Pope Steven IX did to the body of Pope Formosus during the Cadaver synod or the Synodus Horrenda, and that was in public. There are records of others in secret ! Or save yourself the stress and buy on Amazon, The history of the Catholic Church by James Hitchcock!

2. If you are conversant with your church history, you should know the list of Bishops alongside Bishop Arius, that attended the several church councils, leading to the Nicean Council, headed by Constantine!

3. As for the debate on the issue of Africans having souls or if they have it after baptism, go to a good bookshop and search for historical books like Overcoming rascism through the gospel by M. L. Johnson! Do more research on the Pre-Adamite, Cainite and Noahite view of the black race. Then, you will Understand what the theologians were debating in Rome up till 1830, especially with the American Catholic community!
You call yourself a good Catholic and you dont have Butler's lives of saints or other historical books on your church like the bad popes by E. R. Chamberlin . I have great Irish friends, all Catholics, and you will never hear a word from them, discussing inanities like defending the bloodsoaked past of the Church because their private family library is well stacked with books and records!
Shalom
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by johnydon22(m): 4:35pm On Jul 29, 2015
italo:
lol...

I see how you dodged the bulk of my post exposing how Plato didn't justify his claims...and how that makes it way off today's Science standard. Infact, today, scientists would call it bogus claims or 'guess' at best.

I see how you cannot show me anywhere in the book - Timaeus where Plato justified or proved his claim.

Typical Atheist who thinks that a good logical argument is made by shouting many insults at the opponent, while avoiding the issue at hand.

If the Eucharist is delusion, then Plato and Aristotle's works were also delusion.

They didn't use the standard scientific method in use today, which was invented by the Catholic Church.

[b]Hahahahahaha i don die...

The problem is that you don't know the difference between a claim and an observation.... And you are not even ashamed of it..

Plato observed the constellations in different geographical point and reached a consensus that only a spherical globe could have different constellation views in different location, it was a very simple interpretation of an observation, some may reach a conclusion that it is because the earth rested on a giant turtle..
Observation means it is very clear for all to observe, plato's phenomenon of constellations can as well be observed even now.

It was exactly like Msngr Georges Big bang postulation, he had no proof just like Plato, just a postulation based on observed phenomenon only after the hubble telescope went into orbit was the observation verified ... You see You absolutely have no knowledge of what science is and i am not supposed to start teaching you that.

Too bad you do not know that claiming that a wafer turns into a blood when it is not demonstrative for all just like observing the constellation is, it is a CLAIM and not an observation... Boy you really need to read because you far to engage on a scientific discussion or argument with me.

You could not maintain an argument without spamming the thread with wikipedia copy and paste; quite childish and degrading.

Let us hope you won't ask how an observation and a claim is the same thing
[/b]

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Gynacologist(m): 8:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
plaetton:

Bullshyte in capital letters.

How can you be sooo boldly ignorant?

An organised religion, the Catholic cult, Invented
, honed and perpertuated all the manifest evils of religion.

The Catholic cult sired all the dysfunctions in the religious marketplace.

Every evil we see today in religion, the Catholic cult Invented it.
pls kindly tro mo light on do?
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by scarred9jan(m): 8:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
johnydon22:
[b]Hahahahahaha i don die...

The problem is that you don't know the difference between a claim and an observation.... And you are not even ashamed of it..

Plato observed the constellations in different geographical point and reached a consensus that only a spherical globe could have different constellation views in different location, it was a very simple interpretation of an observation, some may reach a conclusion that it is because the earth rested on a giant turtle..
Observation means it is very clear for all to observe, plato's phenomenon of constellations can as well be observed even now.

It was exactly like Msngr Georges Big bang postulation, he had no proof just like Plato, just a postulation based on observed phenomenon only after the hubble telescope went into orbit was the observation verified ... You see You absolutely have no knowledge of what science is and i am not supposed to start teaching you that.

Too bad you do not know that claiming that a wafer turns into a blood when it is not demonstrative for all just like observing the constellation is, it is a CLAIM and not an observation... Boy you really need to read because you far to engage on a scientific discussion or argument with me.

You could not maintain an argument without spamming the thread with wikipedia copy and paste; quite childish and degrading.

Let us hope you won't ask how an observation and a claim is the same thing
[/b]

in a way i think italo is learning although he is being pigheaded about it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by plaetton: 9:00pm On Jul 29, 2015
Gynacologist:
pls kindly tro mo light on do?

1. Papal bulls (more like bullshytes ) and their supposed infallibility. The catholic church invented it.

2. Indungences, the commercialization of religion by the selling, for money, of grace and salvation, something Jesus supposedly gave humankind for free. The catholic church invented it.

3. Crusades or Holy Wars. the catholic church invented the concept of fighting for god, in return for grace and paradise. the catholic church invented it.

4. The politicization of religion . The catholic church invented it with Constantine , the Nicean council, the Nicean creed, the deification of Jesus, and the amalgamation of the church and the empire to create the HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE. The catholic church invented it.

5. The killing of heretics ( people who disagreed with the orthodox ) , the genocide of the Carthers, the cultural anhillation of Africa and much of the world's cultures. The catholic church invented it.

5. Need I mention the inquisitions ? The relegation of women to second class humans ?

6. Need I mention the perpetuation of a 2000yr old priestly cult that sexually preyed on innocent male children ?

7. And the pimpimg and trafficking of fraudulently contrived religious relics ? the catholic church invented it.

8. How about the cult of Mary and the brainwashing and social engineering techniques required ? the catholic church invented it.

And on and on and on....
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by mctowel01: 8:33am On Sep 10, 2016
AreaFada2:
At the risk of being labelled atheist, I have in recent years questioned religion as practised by Africans now. As a guy born into Christianity I'm concerned about the way religion has displaced reason at a time we seriously need it for social and scientific advancement. We are far behind other societies that function on logic and reason. We go to those places to live, ask for help and spend holiday. Yet we refuse to examine our own ways to see where we got it wrong.
Where are your kind?I feel sad living with the sort of mindless religious people Africans have become. I sometimes wish we could simply separate Africans into secular and religious, then watch the results of progress makes. ...Then the world will conclude for themselves.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by mctowel01: 8:51am On Sep 10, 2016
senbonzakurakageyoshi:
Away from the whole distraction with ITalo's catholicism and denominational christianity and back to the main topic at hand:

I would like to think the main problem with modern African religion and the modern African religious construct is actually something ancient: fear. We are too afraid to question what we've been told. And funnily enough, that fear wasn't invented with Christianity or Islam - it was a part of the religions our forefathers adhered to. The gods in our traditional religions were swift, vengeful and ruthless. The chief priests held the people in awe of the gods' powers and threatened followers with punishment if they displeased the gods. And, of course, it was only convenient for those who brought us the religions we adhere to today to key into that already existing formula to achieve the same results. We modern religious adherents inherited that fear from our old religions and adapted it into modern religion. God is always hovering over our shoulders with a whip to hand out punishments whenever we default - especially when we refuse to believe in him. Which makes it no surprise that, in the same way our forebears had to offer sacrifices to keep the gods pleased and keep their blessings coming, modern African adherents have to sow seeds and make constant offerings to make God happy and keep his blessings coming. All this in spite of the fact that we still hold the creed that God is a benevolent, all-loving God.

Modern African religions, in my purview, are not religions in its purest form. It is an amalgamation of tenets of our old traditional religions (especially the use of fear to subjugate and control) and old European/Middle Eastern dogma all wrapped up in a modernist package. And till we learn to throw off that cloak of fear, that idea that God wants to remain hidden in a shroud of mystery and, as a results, we shouldn't ask questions, we will continue to fall victim to the negative aspects of religious beliefs.
*claps .. Comment of the year
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by AreaFada2: 12:00pm On Sep 10, 2016
mctowel01:

Where are your kind?I feel sad living with the sort of mindless religious people Africans have become. I sometimes wish we could simply separate Africans into secular and religious, then watch the results of progress makes. ...Then the world will conclude for themselves.

Actually, more and more exquisitely religious people like me are speaking up against the overt religiosity that is centred on personal bread & butter and personal prosperity. For many, just about anything is acceptable in that quest.

Completely against what Jesus preached and how he lived. And against collective progress of society.

Too many are being misled in their prime.
Religion is meddling too much. Marriage, career, business, every sphere. That cannot be good. The human being is a born free thinker & logic being. Any idea or devotion or philosophy that has some elements of logic will interest him naturally.

Christianity is very logical in its original form. Even the miracles in it serve important purposes. I realised this studying the Bible under Christian, Jewish & Muslim scholars. Their perspectives of the Bible made perfect sense.

A perfectly sensible female friend of mine was dragged kicking to a pastor by her mum two weeks ago. The reason is that nearly 30 & not married. That she needed deliverance from wicked people. shocked shocked

Somebody jilted by her fiancee after years of relationship just months ago should rush into another one already? shocked shocked

I had a message to deliver to a pastor one day in Lagos. I walked into the church on a Tuesday morning at about 10 am. The church was full to the brim. Apparently, that was just a normal morning service. Not a special programme.

Is it in Shinto/Confucian/Buddhist temples that Japanese & Chinese made such a giant stride over jst two generations?

They should learn from the history of Christianity in the West. The church became too powerful & meddlesome in the West. It lead to its massive decline. This could also become the undoing of African Christendom.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Guru10450(m): 8:17am On Apr 14, 2019
African spirituality is the only true way. All organised religions presently operating in the continent are based on false and absurd narratives and are majorly counter-intuitive.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Guru10450(m): 8:31am On Apr 14, 2019
Has been proven beyond doubt that all the organised religions currently operating in Africa of today are often mainly based on hidden motif and false premise.

For instance,

Questions: Who are the first humans created by God?

Answer: African people.

Question: Who are the angels?

Answer: African ancestors

Question: Who are men/women of the Almighy God?

Answer: Everyone

If Africans are the first people to have been created by the Almighty God, therefore, the angels and the entire heavenly host, are to one hundred percent look completely African.

Anything contrary to an all inclusive African paradise/heaven can only be seen as a falsity.

Everyone knows that humanity starts in Africa.

Therefore, if humanity starts in Africa then that suggest pre-existence also occurs in Africa. Pre-existence depicts the period whereby there exists no humans on Earth.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Free Wedding At A Catholic Church In Enugu - Twitter User / Nairaland Atheists, Let's Rebrand. / How A Pastor Gave Him A Huge Amount Of Money Right Infront Of Congregation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.