Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,083 members, 7,814,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies (1795 Views)

Buhari Has Turned Governance To Nollywood —fayose / Wike Should Move To Nollywood, Amaechi Responds To Probe Reports / Fashola To Jonathan: "You Failed, Not Me!" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 8:25am On Mar 15, 2009
Lagos Govt to filmmakers: Register before you shoot, sell films
Friday, 27 February 2009 00:00
Emmanuel Ukudolo, Lagos

FILMMAKERS intending to shoot or sell films in Lagos State are henceforth banned by the government from carrying out their business unless they are licensed, by the Lagos State Film and Video Censors Board (LSFVCBV).
The ban according to officials of the LSFVCB came into effect January 1, 2009 following a memorandum of understanding signed by both the LSFVCB and the National Film and Video Censors Board (NFVCB).
Official of the Lagos board who spoke without disclosing her names said everything had been done to ensure there was no double taxation, adding that those who had already been licensed by the national body would not be affected by the directive.
She said members of the board had mounted an intensive enlightenment campaign throughout the state visiting local governments to enlighten film makers on the need for them to come forward and obtain license to shoot and sell films in the state.
According to the form made available to the Nigerian Compass, various fees have been stipulated by the state government for filmmakers hoping to use the state as a suitable location.
According to the form, Nigerians shooting drama would pay a fee of N25, 000, while foreigners shooting same film would pay a mandatory fee of N150, 000 into the state coffers.
Nigerians shooting documentary or feature film are required to pay N150, 000, while foreigners shooting this type of film would be made to pay between N150, 000 to N200, 000. Besides, filmmakers would in addition be required to pay N500 per crew if they decide to shoot in Lagos irrespective of nationality.
The form also contains information such as what the filmmaker hope to deplore to location, whether or not crane or arms and ammunitions would be used and services they might require the state to offer to make things easy for them on location.
Filmmakers are also required to disclose the total number crew to be deplored and other information relevant to the film in question.

http://www.compassnews.net/news/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11414:lagos-govt-to-filmmakers-register-before-you-shoot-sell-films-&catid=54:arts&Itemid=208
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by maxell(f): 8:28am On Mar 15, 2009
wtf is yorowood
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 8:30am On Mar 15, 2009
Yoruba movie industry
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Afam4eva(m): 8:38am On Mar 15, 2009
I trust this our movie industry, dem no go pay anything even if na ZAMFARA dem see dem go shoot movie.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by oderemo(m): 9:20am On Mar 15, 2009
Yoruba movie industry

was before okoro con spoil am
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Jakumo(m): 9:26am On Mar 15, 2009
Quite a few Nigerian movie makers evidently rent REAL police and military-issue assault rifles for their action sequences, so obliging film crews to register their presence out on the streets would also be a good way to keep the real police aware of movie shooting schedules so that assurance can be given to concerned citizens who phone emergency lines to report the presence of "gunmen" in their neighborhoods.

Speaking of renting real weapons from the Nigerian police by movie crews, one can't help but wonder how many other types of crews outside the movie industry enjoy such easy, routine access to police and military armories.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 15, 2009
ode remo:

was before okoro con spoil am
gbe enue sowun jareee

topic, thumbs up to the Lagos Govt
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 6:00pm On Mar 15, 2009
I trust this our movie industry, dem no go pay anything even if na ZAMFARA dem see dem go shoot movie.
He will still get you because you have to market the movie. Location is one thing, marketing is another. To me, there is nothing wrong with collecting local taxes only that it will kill low budget movies instantly.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by PeeDaVinci: 6:09pm On Mar 15, 2009
who is making a mistake here, is it supposed to be Yoruba or yoruba, (putting the question differently, why is it difficult for okoro's to pronounce/write the word yoruba well), which leads to another question, who coined out the term "yorowood" and shouldnt it be "yoruwood" or "yorrywood" or , lmao
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 6:13pm On Mar 15, 2009
Its yoruba and not Yoruba. It's becauser of the way 'okoro' pronounce it. Just like it's igbo and not ibo.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by lucabrasi(m): 7:17pm On Mar 15, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Yoruba movie industry
which one is yorubawood again,is nollywood not a combination of the nigerian movie industry again or am i missing something vital here??
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by KnowAll(m): 7:23pm On Mar 15, 2009
they will just cross the border into otta, and start shooting from their, its a no brainer undecided

I only hope baba no demand in own tax grin
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Iranoladun(f): 7:27pm On Mar 15, 2009
Lagos state govt is looking for tax from every available avenue even those exclusively national in nature! I hope soon we won't be ask to pay tax before we breathe!
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by lawyer(m): 8:53pm On Mar 15, 2009
lol@ the word "yorowood" grin
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Afam4eva(m): 9:25pm On Mar 15, 2009
Enugu state govt started theirs 4 years ago
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 10:55pm On Mar 15, 2009
which one is yorubawood again,is nollywood not a combination of the nigerian movie industry again or am i missing something vital here??
No they usually address the yoruba movie industry differently.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 10:56pm On Mar 15, 2009
Lagos state govt is looking for tax from every available avenue even those exclusively national in nature! I hope soon we won't be ask to pay tax before we breathe!

That's what they do in obodo oyibo to maintain it's grandeur. How will the govt survive if they don't collect taxes?
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Nobody: 11:56pm On Mar 15, 2009
I don`t support this idea at all. Let the people be abeg!! How much are they making on the movies that the government will be seeking a way to cut their shares too? I'd rather they facilitate a tax system whereby people pay taxes based on the amount they make.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On Mar 16, 2009
Registering is a good way for the state to get its own share of the profit and maybe force these filmmakers to make more decent movies rather than a 1001 trash movies each year. They need to start contributing their share to development if they intend to continue shooting movies. I hope other states adopt the same.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by AloyEmeka9: 8:05am On Mar 16, 2009
Registering is a good way for the state to get its own share of the profit and maybe force these filmmakers to make more decent movies rather than a 1001 trash movies each year. They need to start contributing their share to development if they intend to continue shooting movies. I hope other states adopt the same.
There are pros and cons to this issue if you look at it closely. Imposing a fee of N150K per movie will make those that make good low budget movies stop making them while those that throw in lots of money continue to make theirs. As for those that make trashy ones with little money, they can still shoot their movies any other place apart from lagos. Over 50% of Nollywood movies are shot in Enugu and a greater number of Yoruba movies are shot in Ogun state, so it wouldn't make so much impact apart from preventing Lagos residents from buying movies of their choice because this new law will require unregistered movies not to be sold in Lagos.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by Nobody: 9:23am On Mar 16, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

That's what they do in obodo oyibo to maintain it's grandeur. How will the govt survive if they don't collect taxes?

yeah thats what they do there, but apply the same method to Nigeria & you can be sure our leaders will squander the tax money on inflated contracts, or on some that dont even exist at all.

Tax is not oil money, it's not national cake. It's the sweat of the people, undiluted. It's their life blood. Politicians stealing tax revenues are simply enslaving the people, & I hope they don't expect to go scot free.
Re: Fashola To Nollywood/yorowood: Register B4 You Shoot Movies by BOSS7: 12:41pm On Mar 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

You mean 1001 trash movies a week?

(1) (Reply)

Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. / Global Franchisers, Consultants Jostle For $3.5bn Nigerian Market / BAGA: Journalists, Activists Lies Exposed As On-the-spot Assessment Report Revea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.