Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. (1797 Views)

My View On The Igbos From An Anioma Guy. / Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos: Senator Ngige Speaks / Fashola Replies Peter Obi Over Alleged Deportation Of Igbos From Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Ellyptical: 7:42pm On Apr 26, 2009
L+G,
Recalling the days shortly after the civil war, the Nigerian Government reduced all the bank savings of the Igbos to a paltry N20 irrespective of what one had in the bank before the war. The nigerian currency was also changed during the war so that any physical cash held by any person of Igbo extraction would be mere paper after the war.
Logical would it be, to infer that the motive of this cruel decision was to keep the Igbos in penury and to make the Igbo race synonymous to poverty. However, the tides turned too quickly and the rejected stone suddenly rose to take the rightful place. The Igbos took over education again (as statistics has clearly shown) and have also take over the economy of the nation.

Currently, the Igbo Race has the lowest poverty rate in Nigeria.

In the North-West, 74 percent of the people are poor, that is they live on less than one dollar a day; in the North-East the poverty rate is 78 percent; North Central, the figure is 70 percent.

By contrast the South-West has about 28 percent; the South-South 30 percent, while the South-East, from where Soludo (lucky him) comes from, turned out to be the wealthiest part Nigeria with a poverty rate of 23 percent.

http://www.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7396&Itemid=24
North-West - 74%
North-East - 78%
North Central - 70%
South-West - 28%
South-South - 30%
South-East - 23%

The million-dollar question is this.
How is it that the tribe that has held on to power the most is still the poorest in Nigeria?
How is it that a people that were left with a mere N20 after the war turned around to become the richest people in Nigeria?

A Logical answer to any of the aforementioned questions will be highly appreciated.
For me, i think its the Jewish Instinct because I cannot find a logical explanations to that.
Igbo Kwenu!
Obrigado.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by lucabrasi(m): 7:46pm On Apr 26, 2009
sight, nt again!!
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by oderemo(m): 7:58pm On Apr 26, 2009
think its the Jewish Instinct

yeAH right. igbo kwennu, kwennu kwennu. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed cool sad
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Abagworo(m): 10:19pm On Apr 26, 2009
mmmmmmmmmmm.i just have that feeling that ellyptical is ikeyman.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by blacksta(m): 10:21pm On Apr 26, 2009
who gives a shit
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by ikeyman00(m): 10:46pm On Apr 26, 2009
everytime someone posted something good to do with the igbos, hey the forum turn around, sayin i bet that user name na ikeyman!!

me don tire for una morons for heaven sake, me don tire ooo
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by ikeyman00(m): 10:50pm On Apr 26, 2009
coursey to nl

the is a cyber space, alot nigerians always wana talk down on igbo peopl, u can" initially" picture that in nl till we decided we got to speak out.

some will even post a crime, at the end na so she go say igbo kwenu

pp; like becomerich,deepzone and fumi for me are most tribalistic morons nl ever had

and for those of yall like abagoro and co that love to make themselves look good , i havnt got time

i speak raw, im afraid
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by tpiah: 10:55pm On Apr 26, 2009
did the fellow above me forget to add tpia?

Let me do it for him.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by sosisi(f): 11:00pm On Apr 26, 2009
Impressive
anyi n'eti kwa eti grin
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Ikomi(m): 11:05pm On Apr 26, 2009
$osisi:

Impressive
anyi n'eti kwa eti grin

cheesy lol

I can't stop laughing on this forum.

The only explanation to the topic is that Igbos are trouble and with violence comes wealth. lol. cheesy

Osisi Baby Kee kwanu?

We go laugh tire for this Forum. cheesy
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Abagworo(m): 11:38pm On Apr 26, 2009
ikeyman00:

coursey to nl

the is a cyber space, alot nigerians always wana talk down on igbo peopl, u can" initially" picture that in nl till we decided we got to speak out.

some will even post a crime, at the end na so she go say igbo kwenu

pp; like becomerich,deepzone and fumi for me are most tribalistic morons nl ever had

and for those of yall like [b]abagoro and co that love to make themselves look good , i havnt got time[/b]
i speak raw, im afraid

if you look at my posts,i find it hard to resist igbo bashing but to prevent that lets desist from starting egocentric threads.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Igweochendo: 11:54pm On Apr 26, 2009
Hello guy, u should not be suprise at the amezing verocity at which the Ibos progress, this is because it is a convenant and blessing from God almighty to the Ibos. So how ever u explain the matter uer correct. And as for me, hence this country is comcern, we can never get experience growth in benefitial area except on stealing, extravagancy, profitiaring etc etc; as a good citizen of my people, i think it wise to advice The Nigerian government to immitate the US political setup and allow an Ibo man to be their leader. Becos that is the only means this country Nigeria can be redeemed of their political, technological and economic mess. With out this, Nigeria will turn to zimbabue
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by ikeyman00(m): 12:14am On Apr 27, 2009
gbamm
hahha

oil minsiter never igbo

police chief never igbo

hmmm wetin de dey fear self
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by biina: 12:37am On Apr 27, 2009
I think they should start moving threads, such as this, to the 'Racism, Tribalism, Sectarianism' section.
They serve no other purpose, than to incite tribal bashing.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by ikeyman00(m): 12:48am On Apr 27, 2009
^^^

not too sure
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by udezue(m): 4:04am On Apr 27, 2009
Proud to be born IGBO.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by blacksta(m): 4:31am On Apr 27, 2009
Igbo progressing i believe should not be problem to any other tribe. Speaking as a yoruba man i strongly say it is for benefit of the whole of Nigera " Everybody is equally important to the survival of Nigeria"

I absolutely dont see point of this thread  unless it was started to instigate unnecessary arguments or may be it sounds more like wounded animal crying seeking justice because it dying.  Unfortunately the animal is dying and the rest of the pack have moved on.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Strength10: 6:15am On Apr 27, 2009
What everyone has to understand is that substance and will counts more than anything else. If you have a vision, a plan and a dream, your future is brighter regardless of circumstances. The you in you is something no one can never take away from you. If you give all nigerians today 5million to eradicate poverty,trust me when you come back the next 10years, more than half of those people will fall back into poverty. My point is that it is not a question of those who control the wealth or politics but the will, dreams and hardwork of the individuals involved.
Before the War, igbos in Nigeria had substance and will. They had brains and common sense and the war actually reproduced and enhanced thier spirit of creativity and productivity as evidenced by all the technology and equipments they manufactured from scratch. The nigerian government making them poor at the time was well orchestrated by them and the British to save Nigeria but it was also a blessing in disguise because it made IGBOS work harder for their meal, they became very frugal, developed better and sophisticated negotiating and thinking abilities. This ultimately made them evolve into self-made enterpreneurs from the little they had. Most of that generation who coud not go to university made it an obligation and a thing of pride to make their kids get and acquire what the war denied them and it is paying off. Remember igbos have never been in power since the war and they control a lot in Nigeria. Now imagine if they ever get into power someday, ?? The down side of this on the IGBOS was an increased spirit of individualism which made that word "igbo enwei eze" more pronounced, and it now currently affecting their Unity though this later trend is changing pretty fast.
But as somebody who beleive in nigeria and who believes that every kid regardless of origin or tribe deserves a chance, we should  not use this as a point of castigation but an opportunity to take education to the north. I weep for nigeria looking at those statistics because it means that the vision 2020 is just a dream. It may be true for people in southern Nigeria, but it is far from reaity for people in the north looking at their poverty level and educational attainment. ANd as long as Nigeria remains one nation, what affects those kids in the North affects all of us. Yeah, we should laugh at the stupidity of the Aboki man for being in Power for soo long without having anything to show for it, but we should also find ways of fixing this mess if Nigeria will ever go forward.

And just FYI, That 28% in the southwest could be somewhere in the 30ies if you exclude the IGBOS who have heavy investments in Lagos, ibadan and the southwest generally, so my yoruba brethrens should give igbos some kudos and many pats on their back for helping build thier communities not come here everyday to criticize, bash and chastise them.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by udezue(m): 6:24am On Apr 27, 2009
4get the aboki blood suckers
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:27am On Apr 27, 2009
Is there anybody who has details of how the poverty rates for each of the six geo-political zones were computed? Where is Ibime when you need him?

If household income (average or median) was used then it would make some sense. However, if the GDP per capita of each political zone was used (economic output of a political zone divided by population of given political zone) then the figures are suspect. If the last (discredited) Nigerian census was used then the following may be the case:

1. Zones with inflated populations (à la 2006 Nigerian census) will show exaggerated poverty rates - poverty rates higher than true values.
2. Zones with deflated populations will show understated poverty rates - poverty rates lower than true values.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:33am On Apr 27, 2009
Strength10:

What everyone has to understand is that substance and will counts more than anything else. If you have a vision, a plan and a dream, your future is brighter regardless of circumstances. The you in you is something no one can never take away from you. If you give all nigerians today 5million to eradicate poverty,trust me when you come back the next 10years, more than half of those people will fall back into poverty. My point is that it is not a question of those who control the wealth or politics but the will, dreams and hardwork of the individuals involved.
Before the War, igbos in Nigeria had substance and will. They had brains and common sense and the war actually reproduced and enhanced thier spirit of creativity and productivity as evidenced by all the technology and equipments they manufactured from scratch. The nigerian government making them poor at the time was well orchestrated by them and the British to save Nigeria but it was also a blessing in disguise because it made IGBOS work harder for their meal, they became very frugal, developed better and sophisticated negotiating and thinking abilities. This ultimately made them evolve into self-made enterpreneurs from the little they had. Most of that generation who coud not go to university made it an obligation and a thing of pride to make their kids get and acquire what the war denied them and it is paying off. Remember igbos have never been in power since the war and they control a lot in Nigeria. Now imagine if they ever get into power someday, ?? The down side of this on the IGBOS was an increased spirit of individualism which made that word "igbo enwei eze" more pronounced, and it now currently affecting their Unity though this later trend is changing pretty fast.
But as somebody who beleive in nigeria and who believes that every kid regardless of origin or tribe deserves a chance, we should  not use this as a point of castigation but an opportunity to take education to the north. [/b]I weep for nigeria looking at those statistics because it means that the vision 2020 is just a dream. It may be true for people in southern Nigeria, but it is far from reaity for people in the north looking at their poverty level and educational attainment. [b]ANd as long as Nigeria remains one nation, what affects those kids in the North affects all of us. Yeah, we should laugh at the stupidity of the Aboki man for being in Power for soo long without having anything to show for it, but we should also find ways of fixing this mess if Nigeria will ever go forward.

And just FYI, That 28% in the southwest could be somewhere in the 30ies if you exclude the IGBOS who have heavy investments in Lagos, ibadan and the southwest generally, so my yoruba brethrens should give igbos some kudos and many pats on their back for helping  build thier communities not come here everyday to criticize, bash and chastise them.

Very true.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Jakumo(m): 8:07am On Apr 27, 2009
There is something in the DNA of Igbo people as a group that predisposes them to excel in academic pursuits, particularly when they are faced with adversity. Anyone who disputes this simple fact has not had the privilege of observing this phenomenon at work. There is indeed a genetic basis for the intellectual power of the Igbo race, but before anyone starts barking, I have no reason to draw this conclusion beyond the simple fact that it is a true and observable fact borne out by exam results world-wide.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by sage(m): 8:28am On Apr 27, 2009
Jakumo:

There is something in the DNA of Igbo people as a group that predisposes them to excel in academic pursuits, particularly when they are faced with adversity.   Anyone who disputes this simple fact has not had the privilege of observing this phenomenon at work.   There is indeed a genetic basis for the intellectual power of the Igbo race, but before anyone starts barking, I have no reason to draw this conclusion beyond the simple fact that it is a true and observable fact borne out by exam results world-wide.

Ha @ Jakumo

U bash Igbos a lot esp when it comes 2 419 issues. Im kinda amazed u gave them credit this time shocked shocked grin

Anyways Ive enjoyed ur posts a lot on Nairaland over the years. Ur a very rational thinker cheesy
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by Ikomi(m): 10:15am On Apr 27, 2009
Jakumo:

There is something in the DNA of Igbo people as a group that predisposes them to excel in academic pursuits, particularly when they are faced with adversity. Anyone who disputes this simple fact has not had the privilege of observing this phenomenon at work. There is indeed a genetic basis for the intellectual power of the Igbo race, but before anyone starts barking, I have no reason to draw this conclusion beyond the simple fact that it is a true and observable fact borne out by exam results world-wide.

I have only read two of your posts and you seem to know what your talking about thus far, it might change though.  angry

The simple reason for the Igbos success in crime - popularly known as 419, genuine business, and academics is the natural will and instinct to see a challenging situation and beat there chest to walk through it.

I don't always put a claim on intelligence, I believe any average individual could be intelligent if they learn to exercise their brains

Afterall Albert Einstein's father never saw him going through school, when he wasn't performing well in Maths.

Winston Churchill's father looked his son in the eyes and told him he would not be able to earn a living in the new Britain since the boy was not performing well in school.

It was at best demonstrated during the Biafran war, when a group with little or no resource could manufacture there own bombs and tanks, all this technology was rather killed by the then Nigerian Govt. headed by Gowon.

That is why when the man - Gowon - went back to school after his term in the army, I could easily forgive him for his acknowledge of Ignorance, because if this technology was enhanced instead of killed, with fear being the only reason, we would not be only exporting crude oil today, we would have been exporting arms as well, not to mention our good old Cocoa, groundnut and palm oil. What nation in Africa or even europe would have matched Nigeria my Nigeria. Now stupidly called Naija.

I hate it when idiots ruin that name.

Paul Biya of Cameroon would never have woken up, even from the wrong side of his bed to say he wants to lay claim on bakasi.

That is why in my opinion IBB and Obasan - Jo must and should go back to jail, after all that mistake which Gowon critically acknowledged, those two had the guts to put us in a deeper mess and still globe trot claiming they are the best thing that happened to that nation.

Obasan-Jo, as well described by the Hard Talk reporter is a shame to the world.  angry
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by ikeyman00(m): 10:55am On Apr 27, 2009
^^^^

could agree more, hmm u ve following my vibe bruder haa

who say this[b] superman[/b] is inconsequential

na caze??
cool
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by olabukola: 12:01pm On Apr 27, 2009
One question i keep asking maself and my non igbo friends is why do we hate the ibo people. I have them as friend and none of them has ever done me anything bad and we do flow together on one on one but when they are more than two in our mist i begin to feel indifferent. I don't know why really.

I feel it was passed to us by our old folks. Its a pity really.

Hope i will get it out of ma system to be honest.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by desgiezd(m): 12:56pm On Apr 27, 2009
olabukola:

I feel it was passed to us by our old folks. Its a pity really.

If such things are passed over to us by our folks, must we continue practicing them? I have said it here time and time again that the tribalism that our fathers practiced and had not taken this nation anywhere, must we continue in like fashion? Most of us that talk about the civil war don't even know anything about it except what we have heard from our folks. But lately, the talk about tribalism on NL has even assumed a wider and dangerous dimension so much so that contributors to threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with tribal sentiments have found a way of bringing tribalism into such threads. I have largely refrained from making comments on such threads and also on the ones that are basically tribalistic in nature like this one.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by RichyBlacK(m): 4:00pm On Apr 27, 2009
desgiezd:

If such things are passed over to us by our folks, must we continue practicing them? I have said it here time and time again that the tribalism that our fathers practiced and had not taken this nation anywhere, must we continue in like fashion? Most of us that talk about the civil war don't even know anything about it except what we have heard from our folks. But lately, the talk about tribalism on NL has even assumed a wider and dangerous dimension so much so that contributors to threads that have nothing whatsoever to do with tribal sentiments have found a way of bringing tribalism into such threads. I have largely refrained from making comments on such threads and also on the ones that are basically tribalistic in nature like this one.

You don't have to refrain from making comments on such threads. Make your balanced views known and don't allow the tribalists over-represent themselves by shouting the loudest. We need balanced views from people who are not afraid to identify the wrongs in our society and speak out loud and clear.

Thanks.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by RichyBlacK(m): 4:11pm On Apr 27, 2009
Jakumo:

There is something in the DNA of Igbo people as a group that predisposes them to excel in academic pursuits, particularly when they are faced with adversity.   Anyone who disputes this simple fact has not had the privilege of observing this phenomenon at work.   There is indeed a genetic basis for the intellectual power of the Igbo race, but before anyone starts barking, I have no reason to draw this conclusion beyond the simple fact that it is a true and observable fact borne out by exam results world-wide.

Could this be due to the possibly large population of Igbos? Sometimes large population can increase the apparent successes of a group. For example, many people consider Indians to be successful because of their massive representation in fields like software development, medicine etc., however, it could also be that their huge population skews their representation in any given field. Just my fifty cents.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by tpiah: 4:15pm On Apr 27, 2009

Isnt Richyblack Igbo?

where has he demonstrated this intellectual power?

This is how people make unnecessary trouble.

Exam results in Nigeria are heavily tainted by cheating and scandal. Exam results worldwide do not show anything you're claiming here.

Samll time now you'll say people are bashing Igbos.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by AloyEmeka9: 8:46pm On Apr 27, 2009
Isnt Richyblack Igbo?

where has he demonstrated this intellectual power?

This is how people make unnecessary trouble.

Exam results in Nigeria are heavily tainted by cheating and scandal. Exam results worldwide do not show anything you're claiming here.

Samll time now you'll say people are bashing Igbos.
In order words igbos are underachievers at the world stage academically since the statistical representation in Nigeria is grossly flawed?. You will never dissapoint me when it comes to anything igbo. You have a professional qualification in igbo affairs and technical bashing.
Re: Th Igbos: From A Rejected Stone To A Corner Stone. by LadyT(f): 8:48pm On Apr 27, 2009
Must we have Biafra part 46 again?

Come on guys

(1) (2) (Reply)

Science Teachers Get Salary Increment In Ekiti / Buhari,the Mistakes ,the Lessons. / Is Anybody Still In Doubt That Beaf Is Reno Omokri (spokesman To The President)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.