Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,692 members, 7,820,415 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 PM

THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 (57763 Views)

Throwback: The Most Bizarre Nigerian Freaky Myths Children Ever Heard (funny) / Caption The Throwback Picture Of Ooni Of Ife 'adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi' / THROW BACK : White Woman Learning How To Wash Cloth From Nigerian Women In 1915 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Ihuomadinihu: 7:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
Who ever believes the caption of the picture must be silly. Must you tag Africa a backward continent all the time? Do you truly believe those girls were not washing clothes prior colonialization?
I truly believe this was a Home Management class where girls are taught how to do certain chores properly. Girls were taught how to dress a bed,wash clothes and even how to cook. The only difference is that it's coming from a White woman/teacher.
Even native women organizations handled those courses prior the coming of the white men!

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by tonychristopher: 7:25pm On Jul 27, 2015
yusaze:
This was in 1915 and shown in the photo are the women of Yagba in Egbe, now present-day Kogi State given what was described as ‘a lesson on how to wash clothes’ by white missionary, Mrs. Thomas Titcombe.

Egbe is an ancient town bordering Kwara and Kogi states and as far back as the early 20th century, it received foreign missionaries like Reverend Tommy Titcombe (a British-born Canadian missionary) and his wife a missionary with SIM (Sudan Interior Mission; now Serving In Mission) who arrived Egbe in 1908. Both of them later learnt Yoruba and the Yagba dialect with which they preached the gospel of Christ to the people. The popular Titcombe College was named for the reverend and they also set the foundation for the ECWA Hospital, Egbe, one of the biggest Christian hospitals in Kogi State.

Source: http://www.9janewsarena.com/2015/07/throwback-picture-nigerian-women-being.html

this is an insult to these people

it either means they are dirty or they don't know how to wash clothes

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by nedu2000(m): 7:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
scholes0:

LOL...lies
Cotton was grown in Egypt and Sudan thousands of years before any white man even knew what it was...
Silk was discovered in the far east, from Silkworms..... China to be precise.
While linen was discovered in the fertile crescent of the Middle East.

Keep make false claims there.....

who brought it to black sub-saharan africa?thats the question
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Ihuomadinihu: 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2015
nedu2000:
How you go use black and Sub sahara at the same time? Both words are prejudiced. To white people,both words connotes famine,underdevelopment,poverty etc.
As for the question, the important thing is that Africans used the cotton to make native wears,the source of importation is a none factor.
What were the whites wearing prior to the discovery of cotton?
Listen, one man cannot build civilization. It has to borrow from an existing culture. One factor that made Africans look stagnant was their inability to borrow from others and successfully incoporate it into their culture. Probably,the drying of sahara desert cut them off certain ideas.
Yet, Africa was still able to build what we know as African culture amongst our numerous tribes.
But can you prove that Africans had no knowledge of cotton prior European expedition?
Think twice before saying that your ancestors were roaming the world naked.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by UyiIredia(m): 7:43pm On Jul 27, 2015
As if we didn't wash ourselves and our clothes before they came.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by no2fuks(m): 7:44pm On Jul 27, 2015
musicwriter:

Good question!.

This's the type of images that have been used by white people to bombarded the imagination of black people for ages. Probably, also taught in school that whiteman told us how to wash cloth.

There are so many lies like that, including:-

1. That Mongo Park discovered the river Niger, when in reality Gambians and Malian fishermen have been fishing along the river before Mongo Park was born.
2. That Adam and Eve, Abraham, Jesus were whites, when in reality they were blacks.
3. That whiteman was better than us before their arrival, when in reality there were no significant different between Europe and Africa when they made contact with us.
e.t.c..

The goal of this sort of image, which unfortunately, is littered in our school curriculum is to make us look foolish, i.e to think of ourselves as foolish people who didn't even know how to wash cloth, when in reality those ladies have always watched their cloth before they ever saw a whiteman.

This's the same reason someone like the Imo state governor, Rochas Okorocha will have a handshake with Obama in Washington DC and use it as a billboard. I call it elite brainwashing.

What is elite brainwashing?.

Elite brainwashing, the last stage of mental slavery http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html

I wish I have the resources pretty soon to open our eyes.

slow down lets not get ahead of ourselves here
1.) mongo park discovered it doesn't mean africans didnt know about it or weren't using it. mongo park put it on the map, that is what matters most.

2.) adam, eve, abraham, jesus being black its just speculation. it is not a fact. adam and eve might have not even existed and it is just a fable. there is no evidence.

3.) when they colonized africa. africa was not equal to europe. that is a fact! if we we're equal then how on earth we're they able to colonize africa. does that logic make sense to you?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by scholes0(m): 7:46pm On Jul 27, 2015
nedu2000:

It seems you think Sub Saharan Africa is limited to your corner of Nigeria.
For your information, before the first white man ever set foot in Nigeria or Sub Saharan Africa, Hausas, Ethiopians, Fulanis Mandingos, Yorubas, Etc already wore Cotton and Silk made clothing.....
The Europeans themselves imported Silk and Cotton from other places..... Talk about what you know.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by nedu2000(m): 7:52pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

How you go use black and Sub sahara at the same time? Both words are prejudiced. To white people,both words connotes famine,underdevelopment,poverty etc.
As for the question, the important thing is that Africans used the cotton to make native wears,the source of importation is not a non factor.
sorry for the tautology but how are they prejudice?isn't a country like Egypt/morrocco/algeria/tunisia/libya more of Arab than what we define as african? So when one says sub-saharan africa it's the blacks. Foreigners showed use materials for clothing and thus most likely showed us how to make it clean,just as they showed us the crude oil beneath our land and it's uses,now we kill ourselves for it,blacks er....backward

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by dazpa(m): 7:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ungrateful dirty Africans.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by AAinEqGuinea: 7:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Who ever believes the caption of the picture must be silly. Must you tag Africa a backward continent all the time? Do you truly believe those girls were not washing clothes prior colonialization?
I truly believe this was a Home Management class where girls are taught how to do certain chores properly. Girls were taught how to dress a bed,wash clothes and even how to cook. The only difference is that it's coming from a White woman/teacher.
Even native women organizations handled those courses prior the coming of the white men!

Was there much clothes to wash?
[img]http://3.bp..com/-D6rFRKBuEk4/VUn_HL0XWCI/AAAAAAAAF_o/9bSzomNXooM/s1600/yy.jpg[/img]
There's no shame in their game cool until white people showed up and helped show them their shame... even their religion was too much, they thought similar of many African slaves too

The racist component here remains why is it being propagandized if or when washing clothes was a mundane and archaic chore : Mrs. Thomas Titcombe offering "a lesson in how to wash clothes" to Yagba women in northern Nigeria about 1915. She's on their land, she's authoritatively standing above them while they're shown laboring.

I prays that there's no Black person that is waking up idolizing op's photo as a reminder of the great white messiah. I want to have my doubts. Op's pic is just one of many reminders which aims to promote the message that whites help 'civilize' Black people in long run with slavery and colonization. Many of us, African or not, wont ever see it that way.

It's why I love Radio Biafra. I know I'm not alone. cool

"Oh wait! Hold up! Shout out to the slave masters! Without them we'd still be in Africa. We wouldn't be here taught to wash our clothes to get this ice and tattoos." --Soulja boy
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Ihuomadinihu: 8:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
nedu2000:
sorry for the tautology but how are they prejudice?isn't a country like Egypt/morrocco/algeria/tunisia/libya more of Arab than what we define as african? So when one says sub-saharan africa it's the blacks. Foreigners showed use materials for clothing and thus most likely showed us how to make it clean,just as they showed us the crude oil beneath our land and it's uses,now we kill ourselves for it,blacks er....backward
I don't have to believe your preconceived assumptions about Africans.
Anyway,you have the internet at your disposal,you can browse and find out why enlightened people frown at the word Sub saharan. Not saying it's wrong snice it's a geographical term. But the word has been bastardiazed in recent memory. The foreigners you worship largerly derived their knowledge from other civilizations including Africa! Even the alphabet you use is of African origin. Do your research well.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by MarieSucre(f): 8:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
I'm going to tentatively say I'm not sure this fully qualifies as racism.

I mean, if you rule out the perceived condescension behind the teachers act. Such skills actually benefited the Nigerian women who had upgraded from wearing just a loin wrapper to heavier and body shrouding clothes like the European women they came across. Clothes that needed chemical detergent and not repeated striking against a rock. Just saying.

Feel free educate me where I'm wrong.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by bratan(m): 8:02pm On Jul 27, 2015
nedu2000:
but thw whites that discovered linen,silk,cotton for Africans would obviously 'ave taught u how to maintain them now,before the arrival of the whites what do you think our ancestors were wearing?

U must have heard of "Aso Oke"and seen the local capentry built machine for sewing it. Africans werent naked before the whites intruded. Slavery halted our development. But God willing, we'll get there.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Ihuomadinihu: 8:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

Was there much clothes to wash?
[img]http://3.bp..com/-D6rFRKBuEk4/VUn_HL0XWCI/AAAAAAAAF_o/9bSzomNXooM/s1600/yy.jpg[/img]
There's no shame in their game cool until white people showed up and helped show them their shame... even their religion was too much, they thought similar of many African slaves too

The racist component here remains why is it being propagandized if or when washing clothes was a mundane and archaic chore : Mrs. Thomas Titcombe offering "a lesson in how to wash clothes" to Yagba women in northern Nigeria about 1915. She's on their land, she's authoritatively standing above them while they're shown laboring.

I prays that there's no Black person that is waking up idolizing op's photo as a reminder of the great white messiah. I want to have my doubts. Op's pic is just one of many reminders which aims to promote the message that whites help 'civilize' Black people in long run with slavery and colonization. Many of us, African or not, wont ever see it that way.

It's why I love Radio Biafra. I know I'm not alone. cool

"Oh wait! Hold up! Shout out to the slave masters! Without them we'd still be in Africa. We wouldn't be here taught to wash our clothes to get this ice and tattoos." --Soulja boy

Unfortunately, the souls that thrive on worshipping the white man are quite abundant on this thread.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:10pm On Jul 27, 2015
MarieSucre:
I'm going to tentatively say I'm not sure this fully qualifies as racism.

I mean, if you rule out the perceived condescension behind the teachers act. Such skills actually benefited the Nigerian women who had upgraded from wearing just a loin wrapper to heavier and body shrouding clothes like the European women they came across. Clothes that needed chemical detergent and not repeated striking against a rock. Just saying.

Feel free educate me where I'm wrong.

If you take away my washing machine then someone would need to teach me how to wash clothes! lol

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by musicwriter(m): 8:58pm On Jul 27, 2015
no2fuks:

slow down lets not get ahead of ourselves here
1.) mongo park discovered it doesn't mean africans didnt know about it or weren't using it. mongo park put it on the map, that is what matters most.

2.) adam, eve, abraham, jesus being black its just speculation. it is not a fact. adam and eve might have not even existed and it is just a fable. there is no evidence.

3.) when they colonized africa. africa was not equal to europe. that is a fact! if we we're equal then how on earth we're they able to colonize africa. does that logic make sense to you?

This's exactly how they want you to think.

This link have answers to all your misconceptions http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by neocortex: 9:11pm On Jul 27, 2015
HAH:
And there was London underground even in the 1890's yet our people don't know how to wash in 1915, no wonder they call us dark continent.

Honestly if not because of white people african will still be wearing leaves and skin as clothe

SMH at your crass self inflicted ignorance, you should have at least ask your
elders before commenting .
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Angelou(m): 9:32pm On Jul 27, 2015
HAH:

You bastards son of a prostitute, you are obviously a product of leaked condom to say those thrash at me.
the vulgar words you arew spewing out of your mouth is a true indication of your personality - DAFT!
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by no2fuks(m): 9:46pm On Jul 27, 2015
musicwriter:

This's exactly how they want you to think.

This link have answers to all your misconceptions http://www.africason.com/2015/05/elite-brainwashing-last-stage-of-mental.html

nigga plz u d one who is brainwashed by all these afro-centric conspiracy theorists.

I can't take that link seriously talking about bob marley pic smiled at the author lmao. Id rather reference Wikipedia than this africason link with all the spiritual mumbo jumbo. i already know my history.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by tefund(m): 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2015
is this source real?
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by seankay(m): 10:19pm On Jul 27, 2015
qloreal:

its not a must to comment
I just can't phantom why it took the intervention of the whites to get us civilized
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by HAH: 10:50pm On Jul 27, 2015
neocortex:

SMH at your crass self inflicted ignorance, you should have at least ask your
elders before commenting .

Your words clearly shows that it was your ancestors that were being taught how to wash clothes less than 100 years ago, olodo
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by 1miccza: 11:49pm On Jul 27, 2015
INTROVERT:
so they had not been washing clothes since before then

I know?Ask them for me oo
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by easystudy101: 12:03am On Jul 28, 2015
donholy28:
I think its d Nigerian women that's teaching d oyibo woman how to wash clothes... cause d instruments used are Nigerian

Very intelligent response
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by EmekaBlue(m): 1:03am On Jul 28, 2015
HAHA...no b teach..she dey check if dem don wash her clothes finish..choi britico use us sha y we gats dey maga dem now...
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Princess4eva(f): 3:04am On Jul 28, 2015
temitemi1:
Proudly Egbe! Proudly Titcombe College grin grin grin

Seriously? Wow! Are you from Egbe?
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Princess4eva(f): 3:56am On Jul 28, 2015
repogirl:
How can she be offering a lesson when she is standing miles away from them? undecided

Her hands arent wet and her gown doesnt look practical for washing clothes.

My take is those women are her slaves/servants washing for her but you know how oyibos like to take credit for everything even for people washing their clothes for them. angry

I beg to differ. This woman standing and her husband, Rev Tommy Titcombe, with Walter Gowans and Thomas Kent are cult figures as far as Egbe town and ECWA (Evangelical Church Winning All) history is concerned. They are missionaries who gave their all to God's work. They'll never enslave anyone. The ECWA Egbe hospital is still standing and boasts of the latest hospital equipment, the most recent surgical equipment the missionaries shipped in, Jonathan's government wanted to divert to national hospital, Abuja but for vehement protests. I was at the hospital last year, renovation was ongoing and I was awed by what I saw.
Theirs is a complete team, white doctors consulting, whitemen came with everything they needed, even little things as nails or even door hinges are imported. The plumber, bricklayer, Carpenter etc are all white-men and they were all so,so happy doing their mission work. This legacy was left by the husband of that woman standing and the other missionaries. I hear that back then, they fly to Egbe with tonnes of drugs and clothes for locals. My mum is a direct beneficiary, they are responsible for her schooling. I can go on and on cos I don't know where OP got his story from. People won't verify stuff before they dump it on nairalànd.

2 Likes

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Princess4eva(f): 4:00am On Jul 28, 2015
mooyewhy:
That's my. town...proudly Egbe boi
Ookun O, my town boy.

1 Like

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by Superman11(m): 6:54am On Jul 28, 2015
INTROVERT:
so they had not been washing clothes since before then

I tire oo who is posting this rubbish picture sef. White people are using how fore mothers as slaves.
Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by temitemi1(m): 7:16am On Jul 28, 2015
Ookun oooo...
Princess4eva:

Seriously? Wow! Are you from Egbe?

Re: THROWBACK PICTURE: Nigerian Women Being Taught How To Wash Clothes In 1915 by dazzlingd(m): 7:37am On Jul 28, 2015
to op and all those who believed the caption...your senselessness knows no bound..

I knw a bit about this people and Ecwa. The Reverend and his wife were good people. This does nt in anyway has to do with racism or them teaching blacks how to wash

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Video Of Olu Of Warri Playing Basketball / A Thread Dedicated To Orisa Nla (obatala). / 10 Most Bizarre Nigerian Myths (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.