Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,290 members, 7,815,500 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon (815 Views)

Nigeria Is The Most Useless Nation With Useless People / What Is That One Thing You Think You Can Do To Make Nigeria A Better Nation? / Media Chat: Buhari Is Playing Games With Ndigbo – MASSOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by AnamCity: 10:21am On Jul 27, 2015
FORMER Head of State and founder of Nigeria Prays, Gen. Yakubu Gowon (rtd) has said that, “Nigerians are better off with the Igbo.”

He made the assertion in his eulogy at the burial service of the late Chief Mrs. Chinyere Asika, wife of the former Sole Administrator of the defunct East Central State, Ajie Ukpabi Asika at the All Saints Anglican Cathedral, Onitsha Anambra State

Just as Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano described the late Asika as a woman who exemplified the virtue of patience, charity and humility.

Gowon’s view was borne out of a deep appreciation of the commitment and sacrifice of Ukpabi Asika and his wife to the survival of Nigeria as one entity especially during the most difficult times of the nation’s history.

He recalled that when he proposed the position of sole administrator of East Central State, Asika told him, “I prefer to do this for the good of Igbo people.”

“I was struggling to get an administrator for the newly created East Central State when the name of the late Ukpabi Asika came up. He was then a lecturer at Ibadan. When we met, I do not know which one of us was younger. But he exuded strength of character and understanding, and wanted to start work immediately. Though I cautioned him to think about it. I told him, you must consult your brothers, and your wife who was there to know if you would accept, I was convinced that this is the man I needed,” Gowon stated.

“I did not know how to place his wife, Chinyere, but when she arrived from Kenya, she plunged head-on into the idea. She was a courageous woman, caring and humble. I remember her efforts in ‘Otu Olu Obodo’ – a public service initiative which she used as a tool of empowerment for her Igbo kinsmen and women.”

In the same vein, Governor Obiano told Asika’s children and family to imbibe the virtues of patience, charity and humility from the late Mrs. Asika, whilst urging the congregation and Ndi Anambra to remember “her good deeds and pray for the repose of her soul.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/07/nigeria-is-a-better-nation-with-ndigbo-says-gowon/
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by AnamCity: 10:24am On Jul 27, 2015
There is a reason they all fought to keep Igbos in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by Kingspin(m): 10:45am On Jul 27, 2015
Nigerian witches is yet to agree on Gowon viewpoints. They prefer to be down for life than allowing the igbos to explore and unlash their potentials across Nigeria. Anyway, nothing last forever.
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by worthytalk: 11:00am On Jul 27, 2015
Gowon should should shut up that gutter mouth of his. He will die a miserable death for those Biafrans he killed. And in his very eyes Biafra will come.
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by saintikechi(m): 11:08am On Jul 27, 2015
The blood of innocent biafrans shed by gowon and his people shall not go unpunished.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by disumusa: 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2015
AnamCity:
There is a reason they all fought to keep Igbos in Nigeria.
just be taken sugar to make your self happy.
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by disumusa: 12:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
saintikechi:
The blood of innocent biafrans shed by gowon and his people shall not go unpunished.
what about the blood of innocent great nigerian like tafawabalewa, sir amadu bello,fajuti,akintola,sadauna of sokoto that was wasted by ironsi and odimegu ojuku
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by zendy: 1:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ukpabi Asika was just another traitor to his people just like Okorocha.
Re: Nigeria Is A Better Nation With Ndigbo- Gowon by saintikechi(m): 6:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
disumusa:
what about the blood of innocent great nigerian like tafawabalewa, sir amadu bello,fajuti,akintola,sadauna of sokoto that was wasted by ironsi and odimegu ojuku

Na me kill them ? Abi I dey there

(1) (Reply)

The Beginning Of The End Of Saraki Corruption Dynasty / Look At This Powerful Gun- You need to see this / Jonathan’s Aide Seizes $50m Belonging To Ex-first Lady Patience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.