Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,912 members, 7,835,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? (741 Views)

How Successful Agroprenuers Sell Their Products Online In Nigeria / Afdb Unveils Plan To Empower Nigerian Women In Agriculture / Importance Of Agriculture To Nigeria Economy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? by bizay7(m): 11:02am On Jul 27, 2015
Good morning nairalanders,

Lately, I have been thinking about this question - Is the Internet really effective for people like us (in agriculture) to sell our products and services?

I asked a friend of mine. He said his biggest frustration when trying to sell online is "distrust". People don't trust you because they don't know you.

Another person said that there is too much bad-mouthing and lack of respect by people commenting, especially on Nairaland!

A lady said she uses Whatsapp and BBM but she feels limited by the few features. Since she is into catering, she would rather have a portfolio of her works showcased through a small link that people can visit. Obviously, she is not considering setting up a website for herself yet.

I think there are more problems than this; but I want contributions from nairalanders. From your end, what do you not like or have problems with whenever you are trying to market or sell online?
Re: Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? by refreshrate: 11:08am On Jul 27, 2015
bizay7:
Good morning nairalanders,

Lately, I have been thinking about this question - Is the Internet really effective for people like us (in agriculture) to sell our products and services?

I asked a friend of mine. He said his biggest frustration when trying to sell online is "distrust". People don't trust you because they don't know you.

Another person said that there is too much bad-mouthing and lack of respect by people commenting, especially on Nairaland!

A lady said she uses Whatsapp and BBM but she feels limited by the few features. Since she is into catering, she would rather have a portfolio of her works showcased through a small link that people can visit. Obviously, she is not considering setting up a website for herself yet.

I think there are more problems than this; but I want contributions from nairalanders to say what there own frustrations are.

Tell your lady friend the bus has left her behind shes still there claiming theres no bus.

Google ibom soups, caterer who delivers different types of soups to you at home, shes got a web page and doing very well.

That aside the challenge with most people in this category is rather than see bad mouthing as feed back which to me is the most valuable asset a company can get especially at the beginning they cringe and hide waiting for people to come and be rubbing their heads that they are doing a good job.

The same public you intend to serve?

Let me allow that sink in first before we now start to talk about the challenges you mentioned.

Holla when youre ready
Re: Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? by bizay7(m): 11:59am On Jul 27, 2015
@Refreshrate I see your point of view.

Now, let's talk about the other issues.
Re: Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? by refreshrate: 12:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
Agricultural products arent exactly like other products. Case in point for instance you cant get exactly two tubers of yam that are exactly alike. How do we quantify yams in sizes? We have several species of tomatoes, some will say one kind is the hausa type the other is the youruba. Me i only know how to eat, whats my business?

Going further we need to consider the challenge of quantities against costs. For in stance during ramadan the quantity of tomatoes you get for N1,000 would almost make you cry compared to other periods of the year.

If for instance you go to a store in the Uk for example you buy a bag of onions (they have them in theses small bags made of paper and stitched nicely, you get the same weight or quantity all year round for that price weather ramadan or cow don don.

Having a webpage as is the case youre highlighting seem to me like youre jumping the gun. A better edge would be

1. Ensuring product availability all year round (where can i get agbalumo now please?)

2. Product quality, so i know when i see packaging with Bizay7 on it, im certain its fresh and its the quality i want.

3. That if i pay say N300 for onions today id still get the same quantity for N300 in two months time.

Yes i know its a tall order but think of it this way, food is something we cant afford to do without, the alternative well its left for you to imagine

So really how do you want to run a webpage of products when you cant guarantee availability and consistency?

When people say agric business is big business i kid you not, it is but really theres a value chain between the fields to the supermarket shelf or in this case webpage that is missing and till that value chain is organised im afraid were just sitting ducks.
Re: Is The Internet Effective For People In Agriculture To Sell Their Products??? by bizay7(m): 1:14pm On Jul 27, 2015
I'm glad you have given this really deep thought!

That's the peculiarity of our industry. The other issues are problems of perish-ability and underdeveloped transportation system. Developing these value chains will take some time. Already, there is a little traction in some areas.

I expect the Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON) to make this happen (develop standards and classification for agriproduce); but can they? Can a government institution in Nigeria really make a difference, considering the pressure that is on Africa (including Nigeria) to produce better foods for the world?

(1) (Reply)

Help On The Price Of Drip Irrigation / Plantain Farmers,i Need Supply Of Plantain,kindly Contact Me Asap. / Battery Cage Sellers Forum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.