Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Engine Swap. Please Advice - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Engine Swap. Please Advice (1781 Views)

Engine Swap Needed For 2005 Acura MDX / Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / Questions On Toyota Camry 2004 Engine Swap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engine Swap. Please Advice by seriousthing(m): 12:27pm On Jul 28, 2015
please I need your advice on a possible engine swap. I have Toyota Carina e wagon with the following details.

2.0 liter 3s fe injector engine
1993 model
manual transmission

and I wish to swap it with

1.6 liter 4a fe injector engine.

how possible will this be and what other parts need to be change alongside with the engine.

thanks
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by Nobody: 2:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
May I ask why you need to swap motors, and drop 400cc's in the process?

1 Like

Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by seriousthing(m): 4:57am On Jul 29, 2015
Siena:
May I ask why you need to swap motors, and drop 400cc's in the process?
The car is mainly for school runs and I realise that I spend over 15000k on fuelling the car monthly. I thought maybe a smaller engine will achieve less fuel consumption. as I don't have money to buy another car for the same purpose.
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by ogawisdom(m): 6:04am On Jul 29, 2015
seriousthing:

The car is mainly for school runs and I realise that I spend over 15000k on fuelling the car monthly. I thought maybe a smaller engine will achieve less fuel consumption. as I don't have money to buy another car for the same purpose.

Nawa ooo I use carina e 1.6l 4afe auto engine. I use abt 16/18l per 100km in city driving n on highway its 10/12l per 100km with my check engine light which has refused to go after all my efforts on. How many kms do u cover daily on ur car bc with fuel @ 87 it seem impossible to burn 15k fuel wit 2.0l engine on sch run only per month except u face terrible hold up daily or ur car has serious issues.

1. Is ur check engine light on
2. Does ur radiator fan start as soon as u start ur car with ur thermostat removed
3. Do u carryout ur servicing regularly n wen last did u replace ur air filter n spark plugs
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 29, 2015
seriousthing:

A smaller, under-powered engine in a heavy car will achieve worse gas mileage than your current 2.0 motor.

You also leave yourself wide open to be bled dry by your mechanic. Once these "conversions" start, this is the beginning of your problems. All manner of mechanical and electrical gremlins, draining finances etc. If you feel your car is too thirsty, I would advise you sell it, and get something else.

2 Likes

Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by seriousthing(m): 8:37am On Jul 29, 2015
ogawisdom:

Nawa ooo I use carina e 1.6l 4afe auto engine. I use abt 16/18l per 100km in city driving n on highway its 10/12l per 100km with my check engine light which has refused to go after all my efforts on. How many kms do u cover daily on ur car bc with fuel @ 87 it seem impossible to burn 15k fuel wit 2.0l engine on sch run only per month except u face terrible hold up daily or ur car has serious issues.

1. Is ur check engine light on
2. Does ur radiator fan start as soon as u start ur car with ur thermostat removed
3. Do u carryout ur servicing regularly n wen last did u replace ur air filter n spark plugs
the issue of check engine light always on is peculiar with Carina e. mine is always on
the car has thermostat that is fuctional
the current air filter n spark plug were change two months back.
the distance for the sch is about 8km so about 16km to and fro in the morning and the same in the evening. altogether 32 km daily.
also we don't get fuel to at official price. we buy between 105-115 depending on the mood of the sellers.
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by seriousthing(m): 8:42am On Jul 29, 2015
Siena:

A smaller, under-powered engine in a heavy car will achieve worse gas mileage than your current 2.0 motor.

You also leave yourself wide open to be bled dry by your mechanic. Once these "conversions" start, this is the beginning of your problems. All manner of mechanical and electrical gremlins, draining finances etc. If you feel your car is too thirsty, I would advise you sell it, and get something else.
Thanks Siena.
in fact what made me to consider that at first instance is the fact that some European model of this make of car comes with 1.6l engine.
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by ogawisdom(m): 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
seriousthing:

the issue of check engine light always on is peculiar with Carina e. mine is always on
the car has thermostat that is fuctional
the current air filter n spark plug were change two months back.
the distance for the sch is about 8km so about 16km to and fro in the morning and the same in the evening. altogether 32 km daily.
also we don't get fuel to at official price. we buy between 105-115 depending on the mood of the sellers.

Let's break it down
Assuming u cover 40km daily = 40 x 30 = 1200km per month

Assuming u buy fuel at 115 per litre then 15k fuel = 130l

9km per litre
11l per 100km ur fuel economy is nt bad at all except my calculations are wrong somewhere or made too much assumptions tongue

If u r nt convinced then fill up ur fuel tank n drive for 100km then go back n fill up again. Wateva amt of fuel fills it this time is ur fuel economy figure per 100km

1 Like

Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by seriousthing(m): 7:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
thanks Ogawisdom,
the last time I checked, I filled my tank to its capacity wish is 60liter. I drove the car to empty tank and I got only 309 kms.
if 60liters = 309km
them it is about 5.1 km per liter on city driving.
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by ogawisdom(m): 7:24am On Jul 30, 2015
seriousthing:
thanks Ogawisdom,
the last time I checked, I filled my tank to its capacity wish is 60liter. I drove the car to empty tank and I got only 309 kms.
if 60liters = 309km
them it is about 5.1 km per liter on city driving.

Dt means abt 20l per 100km, d CEL dt is on is d cause just lik in mine. Hw long ve u driven with CEL on
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by seriousthing(m): 8:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
ogawisdom:

Dt means abt 20l per 100km, d CEL dt is on is d cause just lik in mine. Hw long ve u driven with CEL on
two years now
Re: Engine Swap. Please Advice by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 27, 2015
seriousthing:

when changing a car engine its advisable to go higher dan lower....going lower will make ur car sluggish and with time.....d engine will prematurely spoil cos u r over working it

(1) (Reply)

Toyota / Car Scratch Remover/vanisher / Urgent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.