Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,879 members, 7,828,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:09 AM

Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters (12300 Views)

Abubakar Audu Is Dead - Sahara Reporters / Diezani Alison-madueke Stricken With Cancer, Her Lawyer Says - Sahara Reporters / Soludo Is Confused, Has Lost Touch With Reality- Fani Kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Mar 16, 2009
MrCrackles:

Osisi would any proof be sufficient to change your mind? cheesy grin

NAH! tongue

Me know say u be staunch Obama persin
! grin

Oh come on @McCrackles, I am not even an Obama person and even I know that bringing the man into this is ridiculous. You and I know that the guy is even as we speak being scrutinized from the left and the right. Do you sincerely think that if he had gotten the money from corrupt sources, he would have made it as president or the world would not know this by now? Another thing is, we all know well that purchasing a house of the kind he has out in Hyde park is not difficult here in America on his salary then as a senator, and definitely now as a president. This is the USA were if you cheat on your taxes, you will be caught someday. Maybe not today but one of those IRS men will come after you, it is only a matter of time. Lol
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by tpia: 8:50pm On Mar 16, 2009
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by RichyBlacK(m): 8:57pm On Mar 16, 2009
tpia:

instead of bursting a blood vessel out in "righteous indignation" over your messiah Obama, better open your eyes and stop taking yourself for a ride.

You've still provided zero evidence of Soludo's wrongdoing.

"Many 419ers are Nigerian" is totally different from "All Nigerians are 419ers".

I'd expect you to know that even when its Obama vs Soludo being discussed.

Obama cannot be compared to any of the scumbags in Nigeria who call themselves politicians. None of those filthy swines in Nigerian politics will survive the level of scrutiny (economic, religious history, tax history, family history, educational history, political views, criminal history, etc.) that Obama has undergone. Those goons in Abuja are mere kleptomanics disguising as politicians - Fela called them "animals in human skin!"

The proof is the report itself!

1. Do you have a counter press report?
2. Do you have proof that Abacha stole any money? Isn't it the reports you read that served as the proof?
3. Do you have any proof that IBB stole any money?
4. Do you have any proof that Obasanjo stole any money?

The press is reporting that Nigerian policemen regularly collect bribes at checkpoints and you're still waiting for "proof". Proof ko puff-puff ni!
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 9:00pm On Mar 16, 2009
who are these people that are licking Obama's behind?
Geeez, give it a rest.

I'd like to see/know if Obama'd go back to his old house/home when he leaves office.
Bush has just moved into his new multi million dollar house
Tony Blair did the same thing weeks after leaving 10 Downing street
The former french President (b4 SArkozy) did exactly the samething.

Where did these people get the money? is it from there £136,000 a month salary?
are they being investigated? when you guys talk of corruption abeg make una shine eyes.

Some postions come with perks and other goodies. make una shine una eyes again abeg
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by OBVIOUS(m): 9:00pm On Mar 16, 2009
I was about to comment but Sahara Reporters  shocked shocked shocked, ahahaha common!
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 9:09pm On Mar 16, 2009
OMO IBO:

who are these people that are licking Obama's behind?
Geeez, give it a rest.
This is not really about Obama but the fact that someone saw fit to accuse him in light of evidence that shows that he is not guilty of what he is being accused of. Simple!! So, stick to the subject if you will.

OMO IBO:

I'd like to see/know if Obama'd go back to his old house/home when he leaves office.
If he wants to go back to it, are you going to stop him?
OMO IBO:

Bush has just moved into his new multi million dollar house
Bush has shares in oil and while he was president made millions on his side through his many businesses. You only need to call up the IRS to get that information here. Are you accusing him of something? If yes, you can investigate him easy by simply requesting his financial statements.
OMO IBO:

Tony Blair did the same thing weeks after leaving 10 Downing street
I hope you are getting the drift here. These people are constantly under scrutiny, something you seem to be against calling for when it comes to Soludo here.
OMO IBO:

The former french President (b4 SArkozy) did exactly the samething.
Again, if you want access to his information for investigation, all you need do is level a claim and provide some questionable detail and you have access to his financial record for your need.

OMO IBO:

Where did this people get the money? is it from there £136,000 a month salary?
are they being investigated? when you guys talk of corruption abeg make una shine eyes. Some postions come with perks and other goodies. make una shine una eyes abeg

Now you are just being ridiculous. How many of those houses are PAID OFF? Have you actually tried investigating any of the above listed and not been given access? Do you know that the data on most all of your public servants are online for you to access freely? Or are you going to lazily sit back and point accusing fingers thinking somehow that buttresses your point?
About positions that comes with perks, that actually applies mostly to Nigerian positions and not necessarily all other countries. We still have senators who sleep in boarding houses in Washington so they can save money to feed their own family back in their states. We have this particular senator who sleeps in his office and showers in the gym, eats snacks and candy for food, all so he can save money for his family. How many of your Nigerian officials can boast of making such a sacrifice? Or wait, their jobs come with so many perks that it is the average Nigerian that has to live that kind of life so they, the public servants, can live extravagant ones?

How many of your so-called leaders can open their books to be scrutinized by the public? How many of them can give you access to data should you question their spending habits? Let me guess, keeping information closed from the public is for their protection, never mind that we continue to have no way of protecting them from embezzling our own money? How many of them are willing to have the EFCC or any decent organization out there to scrutinize every purchase they make, in and outside of Nigeria? No, we wait for foreign agencies to come report them to us, and then we write it all off as being frivolous accusations because some other person does worse, instead of investigating to be sure.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by agabaI23(m): 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2009
I am one person who would want any corrupt officer to be prosecuted. But you cannot prosecute blindly. That 95% ofpolticians are corrupt does not mean every politician is corrupt. Therefore you should ask questions before condemning.

Investigate them including Soludo. If he is found wanting, prosecute him.

But always remember the 5%. He may or may not be one of them
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by RichyBlacK(m): 9:15pm On Mar 16, 2009
tpia:

Obama moved in [size=18pt]2005[/size]. What was his income then, because I dont know why you're quoting his 2007 income in a blatant attempt to pull the wool over people's eyes.

Like I said, this isnt about comparing American and Nigerian corruption. My post was to ask you to sometimes jump with caution when you're discussing political figures.

tpia,

Learn to read a post before responding:
Applying the proceeds of a book deal, the family moved in [size=18pt]2005[/size] from a Hyde Park, Chicago condominium to a $1.6 million house in neighboring Kenwood, Chicago. --Wikipedia.

When it comes to official corruption in Nigeria, I am biased and WILL believe anything ill about Nigerian politicians. I confess it is one issue that I do not give the benefit of the doubt and WILL READILY believe the VERY WORST about those psychotics in Abuja. So, don't tell me about applying caution. I have ZERO confidence in Nigerian politicians as a whole, but respect a select few of them like the governor of Lagos State. Outside the small group of sane-minded politicians in my country Nigeria, the rest are guilty of corruption until proven innocent!
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by asha80(m): 9:19pm On Mar 16, 2009
I wonder how many of us think soludo will go to jail when the likes of ibb,umaru dikko,alams,don etiebet,marwa,ibori,anenih,odili,yerima etc are enjoying life under the sun?
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by mustafar1: 9:20pm On Mar 16, 2009
"Outside the small group of sane-minded politicians in my country Nigeria, the rest are guilty of corruption until proven innocent!"

words to live by. thank you my brother
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by RichyBlacK(m): 9:20pm On Mar 16, 2009
agabaI23:

I am one person who would want any corrupt officer to be prosecuted. But you cannot prosecute blindly. That 95% ofpolticians are corrupt does not mean every politician is corrupt. Therefore you will not ask questions before condemning.

The problem is that investigations in Nigeria are laughable charades!

1. What investigation was done to condemn IBB?
2. Has there been any investigation on OBJ?
3. How is it that Nigerians condemn these people as crooks (including my good friend Abacha) without any investigation?
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Mar 16, 2009
agabaI23:

I am one person who would want any corrupt officer to be prosecuted. But you cannot prosecute blindly. That 95% ofpolticians are corrupt does not mean every politician is corrupt. Therefore you should ask questions before condemning.

You cannot necessarily prosecute if you have no evidence of a crime, however you can choose to investigate to find out if there was a crime committed or not and that to me ought to be normal in Nigeria by now considering the levels of corruption. Investigating people is supposed to be a normal part  of our society by now ( if we are truly serious about changing the status quo) considering our history so far. If you are in the US, try to deposit a $10,000 or more check and see if you will not be investigated, if it is your first time. In fact, the bank will call to verify you and the source before cashing the check or releasing the funds to you. Now imagine a purchase in the amount of $1 million.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by asha80(m): 9:25pm On Mar 16, 2009
3. How is it that Nigerians condemn these people as crooks (including my good friend Abacha) without any investigation

Hmmmm.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by mustafar1: 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2009
Kobo, not everyone knows that u know. when travelling in or out of a country e.g. there is a reason you fill the customs form and the ask u to declare any amount more than $10,000 or there about in your possession.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by RichyBlacK(m): 9:30pm On Mar 16, 2009
asha 80:

I wonder how many of us think soludo will go to jail when the likes of ibb,umaru dikko,alams,don etiebet,marwa,ibori,anenih,odili,yerima etc are enjoying life under the sun?

That's the problem with Nigeria! Ours is s society of schizophrenics! They cry and wail about the poverty, the 419, the no-light, the bad roads, the police-shoot-you-for-twenty-Naira, the extortionist attitudes of officials the Nigerian customs, the unthinkable poverty in the Niger-Delta, the lack of infrastructure, the horrible standards of education, the non-existence of any semblance of health care, the total absence of any form of security for the populace, etc. Yet, they sing praises to politicians who have mastered the arts of political thievery, official corruption, embezzlement, etc. They give the thieves chieftaincy titles and generally defend common criminals in big agbada, especially when the crooks are from their ethnic group or when they perceive attacks on the thieves as "insulting to Nigeria and Nigerians".
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2009
must_a_far:

Kobo, not everyone knows that u know. when travelling in or out of a country e.g. there is a reason you fill the customs form and the ask u to declare any amount more than $10,000 or there about in your possession.

I am not sure if you have seen the new documentary, I believe on ABC, “Homeland security” , a Chinese couple, I think arrested for claiming to have about $35000 on them but turned out they had almost $100,000 taped to their body. It was hilarious!! They were actually searched and even probed. Roflamo!!
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Pataki: 9:37pm On Mar 16, 2009
If truly Soludo is living above his means, he deserves to be investigated and prosecuted. With the way everyone is talking millions and millions of Naira in Nigeria these days, it truly gives me a concern. Our Naira seems to have no value. undecided
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by agabaI23(m): 9:39pm On Mar 16, 2009
must_a_far:

Which customs?

No be this one that wave people across just because you one tells them he has nothing to declare.

Kobojunkie:

You cannot necessarily prosecute if you have no evidence of a crime, however you can choose to investigate to find out if there was a crime committed or not and that to me ought to be normal in Nigeria by now considering the levels of corruption. Investigating people is supposed to be a normal part  of our society by now ( if we are truly serious about changing the status quo) considering our history so far. If you are in the US, try to deposit a $10,000 or more check and see if you will not be investigated, if it is your first time. In fact, the bank will call to verify you and the source before cashing the check or releasing the funds to you. Now imagine a purchase in the amount of $1 million.

I do not contend with what you have said. The only thing I am saying about soludo in particular is that what was published is not out of his reach. He could get all that without soiling his hands.
This is what I said earlier
Soludo has been investigated and was not found wanting. Those who instituted the probe panel wanted to remove him but they found out he was clean. The initial deadline of three weeks was extended to give room for further investigations but still found nothing. That does not mean he is clean though but he is yet to endited.

Howeve, you guys should not forget that he was made before he became a central bank Gov. This is a guy who was working with an international consulting firm before he was called up.

He was a lecturer yes, but he only used to stay in nigeria for not more than 4 weeks. Soludo taught econometrics in the department of economics at UNN.
He would come, deliver his lecturers within 2 weeks and set an exam. That was it for him. he was not the everyday lecturer. Lecturing was a part time job for him.

Has anyone thought of the investment he might have made? Has anyone thought of his wife's job? May be you do not know that someone who fixed 30 million naira at 13% per annum will be getting approx. 4 million out of it. N30 million would have been easy for him to save in the job he was doing. Do not forget he is a season economist.
You guys are telling me that if you earn one million, all you would do is sit down and finish it, there will be no investment?

Having said that, if he is found wanting let him be prosecuted but know that it is very easy for a man of his caliber to afford his lifestyle without soiling his hands.
Not everybody is a thief

I gain nothing from Soludo. . .lol
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 16, 2009
Kobojunkie:

This is not really about Obama but the fact that someone saw fit to accuse him in light of evidence that shows that he is not guilty of what he is being accused of. Simple!! So, stick to the subject if you will.
If he wants to go back to it, are you going to stop him?Bush has shares in oil and while he was president made millions on his side through his many businesses. You only need to call up the IRS to get that information here. Are you accusing him of something? If yes, you can investigate him easy by simply requesting his financial statements. I hope you are getting the drift here. These people are constantly under scrutiny, something you seem to be against calling for when it comes to Soludo here. Again, if you want access to his information for investigation, all you need do is level a claim and provide some questionable detail and you have access to his financial record for your need.

Now you are just being ridiculous. How many of those houses are PAID OFF? Have you actually tried investigating any of the above listed and not been given access? Do you know that the data on most all of your public servants are online for you to access freely? Or are you going to lazily sit back and point accusing fingers thinking somehow that buttresses your point?
About positions that comes with perks, that actually applies mostly to Nigerian positions and not necessarily all other countries. We still have senators who sleep in boarding houses in Washington so they can save money to feed their own family back in their states. We have this particular senator who sleeps in his office and showers in the gym, eats snacks and candy for food, all so he can save money for his family. How many of your Nigerian officials can boast of making such a sacrifice? Or wait, their jobs come with so many perks that it is the average Nigerian that has to live that kind of life so they, the public servants, can live extravagant ones?

How many of your so-called leaders can open their books to be scrutinized by the public? How many of them can give you access to data should you question their spending habits? Let me guess, keeping information closed from the public is for their protection, never mind that we continue to have no way of protecting them from embezzling our own money? How many of them are willing to have the EFCC or any decent organization out there to scrutinize every purchase they make, in and outside of Nigeria? No, we wait for foreign agencies to come report them to us, and then we write it all off as being frivolous accusations because some other person does worse, instead of investigating to be sure.

I'd hate for us to derail this thread. but here are straight answers to your responses.

Obama will almost definitely not going back to his old house.

So Bush and Blair were busy accumulating wealth while comapnies, lives and quality of lives and families were and are still suffering? This sounds like a corrupt and irresponsible act.

Miss, their data and financial records wil not be made available to myself or yourself. we are ordinary inviduals. heard of data protection?
the fact that the houses are not paid off does not mean they can't afford to pay if off. Besides, these are head of states, prime ministers etc etc. Remember they have shares in oil companies eh.

i'll say this again, all corrupt officials should be brought to book but i'd rather have a thieving official that does some work than a thieving official that does nothing and gets away with it.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by agabaI23(m): 9:43pm On Mar 16, 2009
The PDP chairman is living in a N400 million mansion in Abuja and his party is defending him.

What does he do? Vincent ogbulafor
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Kobojunkie: 9:48pm On Mar 16, 2009
OMO IBO:

I'd hate for us to derail this thread. but here are straight answers to your responses.

Obama will almost definitely not going back to his old house.
Proof?

OMO IBO:

So Bush and Blair were busy accumulating wealth while comapnies, lives and quality of lives and families were are still suffering? This sounds like a corrupt and irresponsible act.
DO you have any proof for this being illegal? Provide it please!! Or is it based on just SOUNDS LIKE to you?

OMO IBO:

Miss, their data and financial records wil not be made available to myself or yourself. we are ordinary inviduals. heard of data protection?
I accuse you of now making things up. You mean all the time people were busy comparing Bush’s pay and what not; those were super humans doing that?
OMO IBO:

the fact that the houses are not paid off does not mean they can't afford to pay if off. Besides, these are head of states, prime ministers etc etc. Remember they have shares in oil companies eh.
Do you have any clue how much they make? Or are you just using that Nigerian street mentality to analyze their pay and worth in this case? I mean if I wanted to go argue with a numskull, I will gladly do that on my own time but if you are going to argue in here, at least do so intelligently. How much do you know senators, prime ministers, and what nots; make in America? Do you have any clue, or are you just trying to feed me bull to see if I will swallow it?

OMO IBO:

i'll say this again, all corrupt officials should be brought to book but i'd rather have a thieving official that does some work than a thieving official that does nothing and gets away with it.
This mindset is the reason why Nigeria remains a world known cesspool of corruption. People accepting mediocrity when you can have better, but then you turn around with the audacity to claim things are not going well. Don’t you think in some way the country is exactly as people like you really want it to be? Don’t you see that in order to have the best, you have to demand the utmost best from those you put in leadership?
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by RichyBlacK(m): 9:55pm On Mar 16, 2009
Obama got millions of dollars from book deals! He can and has written books!

Can any of those brainless goons in Abuja write one page of English prose? Half-literate pedophiles (yes, many of them pay to sleep with 16-year-old girls) are running the show in Abuja! Many of them do not even have "basic" education. No wonder Nigeria remains such a backward place. Even those that should be seeking ways to bring down the thieves are gently supporting them. Tomorrow they'll shout "Giant of Africa!".
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by FrankC3: 10:07pm On Mar 16, 2009
Guys, take a look at this. The source is still the same sahara reporters.
Re: Chuwkuma Soludo is living large-234NEXT.com
Sunday, 15 March 2009 19:15 Abami
E-mail Print PDF
What is wrong with the media? Writing nonsense about the only CBN governor, we have ever had in this our "non-nation" called Nigeria. Prof. Chukwuma Soludo - best graduating student in his first degree, master and PhD all from the only University of Nigeria – must believe in good education. Is it not possible that the man has been working towards giving his children good education?

Dr Soludo has been visiting scholar[2] at the International Monetary Fund, the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford and a visiting professor at Swarthmore College (USA). He has also worked as a consultant for a number of international organizations, including The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme.
Soludo is a core professional in the business of macroeconomics. He obtained his three degrees and then professorship at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, Enugu State. He graduated with a First Class Honors degree in 1984, an M.Sc. Economics in 1987, and a Ph.D. in 1989, winning prizes for the best student at all three levels.[1][6][7]

He has been trained and involved in research, teaching and auditing in such disciplines as the multi-country macro econometric modeling, techniques of computable general equilibrium modeling, survey methodology and panel data econometrics, among others. Soludo studied and taught these courses at many Universities, including Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick. He has co-authored, co-edited and authored about ten books on this subject matter.[7]

In 1998 Soludo was appointed to the position of professor of economics at the University of Nigeria; the next year he became a visiting professor at Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, US.[1]

Soludo joined the federal government in 2003. Prior to his May 2004 appointment to the bank chairmanship[8], he held the positions of Chief Economic Adviser to former President Obasanjo and Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission.[1].

Sahara reporters – investigative journalism right? Are all public office holders in Nigeria thieves? Are you sure that Chukwuma’s total earnings including all possible allowance in a year is 12 million? I seriously doubt that. That said, E be like say the man get money before him become CBN governor. For Nsukka that time the man no dee drive small car. Same goes for his suits and watches.

Visiting scholar / visiting professor? What is that? Does one get paid for that? If yes, please tell your readers how much Chukwuma was paid as a visiting scholar / visiting professor at the IMF, Cambridge, Brookings, Warwick, Oxford and Swarthmore.

Consultants nko? Are they paid? How much did he earn consulting for The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme? In your investigation, I am sure you will find other organizations he has consulted for, how much did he earn?

To read dee tire me these days. Nevertheless, E be like say the man get some books. Are they free? If no, how much does he earn as royalties? Even if them dee pirate his books for 9ja, the ones wee them dee sell for where u na dee na original.

Chief Economic Adviser to former President Obasanjo and Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission. No be small thing oo. Even if you forget the salary, the allowance big for that kind positions. The allowance dee legal.

As they say, common sense is not common – if I may add especially with the media. Are you familiar with this – Ex-president George Bush is the cause of the economic crisis in the US.

While he may be liable for some things as regards the economic crisis, the foundation for this crisis started in the time of Bill Clinton. (Hope I will survive the blasts I will get for this statement :-))) However, before you strike, pls do your research, cos I will defend myself.

Basic knowledge of macro/microeconomics will enable us understand that the blame and blackmail targeted at Chukwuma is unfair. What is that self! What did he do?

He lied! He lied to us!!! He said that nothing is happening that the fundamentals of our economy are strong.

So what? What is that nonsense? Did he say it was perfect? Was that not before the crash of oil price? Did he crash oil price? The Oyibo people (Goldman Sachs??) even released a report stating in very clear terms that Nigeria is the safest economy in the world!!!

If he had said - Oh, my fellow Nigerians, all is not well, our economy is crashing? What would have been the outcome? Pls educate me.

Naira is falling!!!

Sometime in the past, that man was advising that we build up our reserves for a time like this. Share that money, we do not have infrastructure and you are building up reserves, he was told. Those in front were shouting Share it in dollars!!! Those at the back were shouting Share it in Naira!!! Share, share share the money. THIS IS THE PDP!!! SHARE THE F…. MONEY!!!

And today we hear and read, that man’s legacy is finished. In fact, sack him immediately and crucify him. What is he doing? Our reserves are down!!! Hey, this same you? 9ja, I salute.

Citizen journalists at our dear Sahara reporters, that man kicked against so many government policies. His cries fell on deaf ears. Please examine that before you crucify him ok? Is there anything like balanced/objective journalism? If no, you can pioneer that. He talked about phase two of consolidation. Shut up he was told. Our dear northern brothers/sisters cried. They went on to say that phase one of the consolidation did not favour the north. Deconsolidation, right? Was that not what some were clamoring for?

From obscurity to world stage. Plucked from obscurity.

Kai! U na sabi insult person. I remember a discussion I had with a friend in the 1990’s. “if you go overseas, the lectures will tell you that Soludo said this …, or that according to Soludo, …….” He continued but if you go to Nsukka, Soludo will be the one telling you what he said. That was actually the first time I heard of Chukwuma Soludo. Pls my friend is well read, vast, travelled and cannot be considered “obscure” by any standard. He is known in the academic as well as business circle here and there.

Chukwuma became an international figure/scholar/consultant/lecturer (add more and all join) years before Sahara reporters was born. It is just that you were not versatile enough to know professionals produced and recognized internationally by the first indigenous and the only University of Nigeria.

Convoys of as many as seven vehicles. What is that? Any day he comes to my area, I will add mine and possibly my wife. So please make it eight or nine. Before I take a break, let me make it clear – I am in no way saying that Chukwuma is a saint or that he has never stolen or abused public office. But please ……, what is all this! He did a good job and is still doing a good job. I am not perfect and so are you.

http://saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1306:re-chuwkuma-soludo-is-living-large-234nextcom&catid=81:external-contrib&Itemid=300
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by agabaI23(m): 10:14pm On Mar 16, 2009
Frank-C:

Guys, take a look at this. The source is still the same sahara reporters.
Re: Chuwkuma Soludo is living large-234NEXT.com
Sunday, 15 March 2009 19:15 Abami
E-mail Print PDF
What is wrong with the media? Writing nonsense about the only CBN governor, we have ever had in this our "non-nation" called Nigeria. Prof. Chukwuma Soludo - best graduating student in his first degree, master and PhD all from the only University of Nigeria – must believe in good education. Is it not possible that the man has been working towards giving his children good education?

Dr Soludo has been visiting scholar[2] at the International Monetary Fund, the University of Cambridge, the Brookings Institution, the University of Warwick and the University of Oxford and a visiting professor at Swarthmore College (USA). He has also worked as a consultant for a number of international organizations, including The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme.
Soludo is a core professional in the business of macroeconomics. He obtained his three degrees and then professorship at the University of Nigeria in Nsukka, Enugu State. He graduated with a First Class Honors degree in 1984, an M.Sc. Economics in 1987, and a Ph.D. in 1989, winning prizes for the best student at all three levels.[1][6][7]

He has been trained and involved in research, teaching and auditing in such disciplines as the multi-country macro econometric modeling, techniques of computable general equilibrium modeling, survey methodology and panel data econometrics, among others. Soludo studied and taught these courses at many Universities, including Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick. He has co-authored, co-edited and authored about ten books on this subject matter.[7]

In 1998 Soludo was appointed to the position of professor of economics at the University of Nigeria; the next year he became a visiting professor at Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, US.[1]

Soludo joined the federal government in 2003. Prior to his May 2004 appointment to the bank chairmanship[8], he held the positions of Chief Economic Adviser to former President Obasanjo and Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission.[1].

Sahara reporters – investigative journalism right? Are all public office holders in Nigeria thieves? Are you sure that Chukwuma’s total earnings including all possible allowance in a year is 12 million? I seriously doubt that. That said, E be like say the man get money before him become CBN governor. For Nsukka that time the man no dee drive small car. Same goes for his suits and watches.

Visiting scholar / visiting professor? What is that? Does one get paid for that? If yes, please tell your readers how much Chukwuma was paid as a visiting scholar / visiting professor at the IMF, Cambridge, Brookings, Warwick, Oxford and Swarthmore.

Consultants nko? Are they paid? How much did he earn consulting for The World Bank, the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, and the United Nations Development Programme? In your investigation, I am sure you will find other organizations he has consulted for, how much did he earn?

To read dee tire me these days. Nevertheless, E be like say the man get some books. Are they free? If no, how much does he earn as royalties? Even if them dee pirate his books for 9ja, the ones wee them dee sell for where u na dee na original.

Chief Economic Adviser to former President Obasanjo and Chief Executive of the National Planning Commission. No be small thing oo. Even if you forget the salary, the allowance big for that kind positions. The allowance dee legal.

As they say, common sense is not common – if I may add especially with the media. Are you familiar with this – Ex-president George Bush is the cause of the economic crisis in the US.

While he may be liable for some things as regards the economic crisis, the foundation for this crisis started in the time of Bill Clinton. (Hope I will survive the blasts I will get for this statement :-))) However, before you strike, pls do your research, cos I will defend myself.

Basic knowledge of macro/microeconomics will enable us understand that the blame and blackmail targeted at Chukwuma is unfair. What is that self! What did he do?

He lied! He lied to us!!! He said that nothing is happening that the fundamentals of our economy are strong.

So what? What is that nonsense? Did he say it was perfect? Was that not before the crash of oil price? Did he crash oil price? The Oyibo people (Goldman Sachs??) even released a report stating in very clear terms that Nigeria is the safest economy in the world!!!

If he had said - Oh, my fellow Nigerians, all is not well, our economy is crashing? What would have been the outcome? Pls educate me.

Naira is falling!!!

Sometime in the past, that man was advising that we build up our reserves for a time like this. Share that money, we do not have infrastructure and you are building up reserves, he was told. Those in front were shouting Share it in dollars!!! Those at the back were shouting Share it in Naira!!! Share, share share the money. THIS IS THE PDP!!! SHARE THE F…. MONEY!!!

And today we hear and read, that man’s legacy is finished. In fact, sack him immediately and crucify him. What is he doing? Our reserves are down!!! Hey, this same you? 9ja, I salute.

Citizen journalists at our dear Sahara reporters, that man kicked against so many government policies. His cries fell on deaf ears. Please examine that before you crucify him ok? Is there anything like balanced/objective journalism? If no, you can pioneer that. He talked about phase two of consolidation. Shut up he was told. Our dear northern brothers/sisters cried. They went on to say that phase one of the consolidation did not favour the north. Deconsolidation, right? Was that not what some were clamoring for?

From obscurity to world stage. Plucked from obscurity.

Kai! U na sabi insult person. I remember a discussion I had with a friend in the 1990’s. “if you go overseas, the lectures will tell you that Soludo said this …, or that according to Soludo, …….” He continued but if you go to Nsukka, Soludo will be the one telling you what he said. That was actually the first time I heard of Chukwuma Soludo. Pls my friend is well read, vast, travelled and cannot be considered “obscure” by any standard. He is known in the academic as well as business circle here and there.

Chukwuma became an international figure/scholar/consultant/lecturer (add more and all join) years before Sahara reporters was born. It is just that you were not versatile enough to know professionals produced and recognized internationally by the first indigenous and the only University of Nigeria.

Convoys of as many as seven vehicles. What is that? Any day he comes to my area, I will add mine and possibly my wife. So please make it eight or nine. Before I take a break, let me make it clear – I am in no way saying that Chukwuma is a saint or that he has never stolen or abused public office. But please ……, what is all this! He did a good job and is still doing a good job. I am not perfect and so are you.

http://saharareporters.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1306:re-chuwkuma-soludo-is-living-large-234nextcom&catid=81:external-contrib&Itemid=300
Exactly what I was saying. Just that this is more detailed.

This guy just elaborated on my opinion. lol. And he ended up saying he is not saying Soludo is a saint.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by adconline(m): 10:15pm On Mar 16, 2009
all these follow follow supporters of Soludo have not given us a contradictory publication in order not to believe  Sahara report. The onus is on Soludo suporters to show us how he's made his money.  How much he made from his consulting jobs outside his teaching job at UNN. The fact of the matter is Soludo loves to be seen and regarded as a normal Naija politician who wields so much power. He  goes around with convoys, meddles into politics, He selected  his own man to represent his  constituency at NASS under PDP platform but he lost to a different candidate.
So show me something that is not produced by Sahara reporters that would back your claim that Soludo is a saint.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 10:22pm On Mar 16, 2009
adconline:

all these follow follow supporters of Soludo have not given us a contradictory publication in order not to believe Sahara report. The onus is on Soludo suporters to show us how he's made his money. How much he made from his consulting jobs outside his teaching job at UNN. The fact of the matter is Soludo loves to be seen and regarded as a normal Naija politician who wields so much power. He goes around with convoys, meddles into politics, He selected his own man to represent his constituency at NASS under PDP platform but he lost to a different candidate.
So show me something that is not produced by Sahara reporters that would back your claim that Soludo is a saint.

e be like say you never the post by Frank C.
abeg, take few minutes read am.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by FrankC3: 10:28pm On Mar 16, 2009
This to my mind is a grand plan being executed by some hawks who will stop at nothing to make sure that Soludo does not get a reappointment. I remember clearly that the FG set up a panel which only came up with a report that about ADB, a project in the CBN plan of action i think is aimed at strenghtening the country's financial system to be for Africa what the US financial system is to the world. This is a brain child of OBJ economic team which i guess we all believe is one of the best this country ever had. The same sahara reporter went on to draw spurious conclusions which from them is from a reliable source and i quote:

'[b][b]Even though the full content of the committee report was not yet made public, Saharareporters gathered from sources at the presidency that the committee recommended that the CBN Governor, Charles Soludo, face further probe and possible prosecution for certain indiscretions that was interpreted as self-enrichment by the committee. The source told us the report had earlier been turned in last week Monday while Yar'adua was visiting the United Kingdom.

It was not clear if the committee made any recommendations regarding three major banks -Oceanic, United Bank for Africa (UBA) and Zenith bank- who were said to be implicated by a key document provided by Soludo to members of the committee after he initially resisted providing documentary evidence to the panel.

The submission of the committee report may not sound an immediate death knell for Soludo, if earlier indications that he finally succeeded in getting a hefty bribe of $4 million to Turai Yar'adua the wife of the president, prove to be true.[/b][/b]'
Source:http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20080723044948zg/nigeriawatch/soludo_probe_panel_submits_report_recovers_18_million

Enough of all this sensationalism. Enough of all this character assassination. Some guys are not happy with this guy. If Soludo is as bad as we may want him to really be, i can assure you that we will be hearing from the government source. After all he is not best of pals with Usman, the present National Planning Minister ( that gave us three budgets for 2009). The guy has appeared before the senate committee several times and they have not really pinned anything on him, including those that saw the consolidation as anti North. The guy knows his economics, and his policies are so far successful, save for the ranting from our 'numerous' arm chair economics. The policies we kill(like the second phase of consolidation and even naira re domination) policy in the name of know it all i guess we will one day desire again.

And i have read that this guy has said that his soul really belong to the academia and on this i think few of us will have no reason to argue.

Enough said!
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by agabaI23(m): 10:42pm On Mar 16, 2009
I read in newsmedia from nigeria that the hawks earmarked 12 billion naira after a meeting in VI.

We are begining to see the outcome of the meeting.

Too bad SR is being used.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by Becomrrich: 10:46pm On Mar 16, 2009
If Soludo is removed nigeria may get its first female central bank governor. see her name , she is the most qualified among all the deputy governors of the central bank.  or it may likely go to the most experience banker among them Tunde lemo. But you know nigeria. Oga yar adua may appoint a northerner and forget about merit. or prof samuel olofin.

Dr. Sarah Alade

Deputy Governor, Economic Policy - Since 3/26/2007

Dr Sarah Omotunde Alade was appointed Deputy Governor (Economic Policy) Central Bank of Nigeria on 26th March 2007.
She attended the University of Ile-Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University) where she obtained a B.Sc (Hons) in Economics in 1976. She also obtained a M.Comm. at the University of Melbourne, Melbourne Australia in 1983 and a PhD Management Science (Operations Research), University of Ilorin in 1991.

Dr Sarah Alade commenced her working career in 1977 with the Ministry of Finance and Economic Development, Ilorin, Kwara State. In 1991, she joined the University of Ilorin as a Lecturer in the Department of Accounting and Finance.
She joined the Central Bank of Nigeria in 1993 as an Assistant Director in the Research Department where she served as Head, State Government Finance Office (1993-1996), Head, Federal Government Finance Office (1996-2000) and Head, Fiscal Analysis Division (2000–2004).

Dr. Alade has served on the teams for the review and analysis of major current economic developments in the economy and the preparation of Central Bank of Nigeria Monetary and Credit Policy Proposals to Government. She was also actively involved in the drafting of the Medium Term Economic Programme (MTP) for Nigeria.

Dr Alade was appointed Director, Banking Operations Department in May 2004. In that capacity, she served as Secretary Board of Directors, Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS) as well as Chairman, National Payments System Committee (NPSC).
Dr Alade, who is a member of the Nigerian Economic Society, has several publications to her credit and is currently carrying out research into Interest Rate Policy and Monetary Policy Implementation in Nigeria. She is married with children
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by agabaI23(m): 10:48pm On Mar 16, 2009
Any maps? grin
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by RichyBlacK(m): 10:49pm On Mar 16, 2009
@Frank-C,

A few questions:

1. Did Soludo publicly declare his assets before taking the position as CBN governor?
2. If he did, do you have any evidence of this?
3. If he didn't, how do you know what he was worth before becoming the CBN governor?

Let me tell you something you may not be aware of. The average professor in the US earned more than Soludo was earning as a professor at UNN, and still cannot afford a 2.1 million pound home in London.
Re: Chukwuma Soludo Is Living Large - Says Sahara Reporters by doyin13(m): 10:53pm On Mar 16, 2009
The story here is the deteriorating economy.

Lots of shady things went on with the Banks under his watch
and the uncertainty over the health of the banks has been one
of the causes of the malaise in the Stock Market.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Releases N72bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Line / Rivers Government Plans To Attack State CID & Pin It On Hon. Farah - Media Aide / Onitsha Is The Only City In Nigeria That Looks Human-created

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.