Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,835 members, 7,817,453 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) (17296 Views)

My Pineapple Plantation In Our Compound / High Yielding Banana And Plantain Suckers Available / Hybrid Plantain suckers / How to set up plantain farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 6:53pm On Jul 28, 2015
Available in large quantity: Highly viable hybrid pineapple suckers (sugarloaf Variety).

Currently selling for N40 per sucker, We deliver nationwide.

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 7:04pm On Jul 28, 2015
Pineapple (Ananas comosus) belongs to the bromeliad family, which contains 50 genera and about 2,500 known species.

It is indigenous to South America and is said to originate from the area between Southern Brazil and Paraguay.

Pineapples have a wide cylindrical shape, a scaly green, brown or yellow skin and a regal crown of spiny, blue-green leaves.

The fibrous flesh of pineapple is yellow in color and has a vibrant tropical flavor that balances the tastes of sweet and tart.

The area closer to the base of the fruit has more sugar content and therefore a sweeter taste and more tender texture

It is has dagger-like leaves (it is a monocotyledon), and it is cultivated as a biennial plant.

The first year it undergo vegetative growth where the plant produces the leaves and the second year a flowering stalk arises from the center.

On this stalk are produced up to 200 flowers, an inflorescence, which latter forms a solid structure, called a multiple fruit.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 7:10pm On Jul 28, 2015
VARIETIES

There are more than a hundred varieties of pineapples that grow in varying sizes; some more common and interesting varieties are given below.

Sugarloaf Pineapple

Red Spanish Pineapple

Queen Pineapple

Smooth Cayenne Pineapple.

Smooth Cayenne' are smooth and it is the most commonly grown worldwide. Scientists have recently developed the new strain MD2 (From Costa Rica) that is sweeter than regular varieties, always grows to a uniform size and ripens evenly.

In short, this strain was developed for a target market looking for extra sweet fruit, uniform in size and ripeness. This has change the market for pineapple in Europe dramatically in the past years.

This new MD2 is also known also as Golden Yellow. Currently the MD2 represents about 70 per cent to 75 per cent of the EU market for pineapple and is priced at about 1.80 Euro to two Euro per kilogram which makes the variety about two times more valuable than the Smooth Cayenne.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 7:11pm On Jul 28, 2015
IMPORTANCE

Prevents Constipation: As with a wide variety of other fruits, pineapple prevents constipation. It may also relieve constipation once you already have it. The main reason is because pineapple does contain fiber which helps with regulation.

Contains Several Nutrients: Apart from fiber, there are many other essential nutrients and vitamins that can be found in pineapple. This includes Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Calcium and Potassium.

Provide relief from cold and cough: Pineapple contains what is called bromelain, which is known to relieve or even stop cold and coughs altogether.

The main reason is because it is anti-inflammatory and ultimately, it is known to help with the loosening of mucus.

It is used in the manufacture of pineapple jam, juice, wine and other processed finished products.

Strengthens Bones: Pineapples are also popular for their ability to build and maintain strong bones. This is because these fruits contain manganese, which is a trace mineral that your body needs to build bones and connective tissues. In fact, if you consume a cup of pineapple, you can already get 73 percent of your total body requirement for manganese
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 7:55pm On Jul 28, 2015
Sugar Loaf pineapples usually grow in West Africa which is home to the second most fertile region of the world called the Lama depression.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by benodihe(m): 8:10pm On Jul 28, 2015
How can I get the MD2 variety?
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2015
benodihe:
How can I get the MD2 variety?

My brother I have been looking for that variety here in Nigeria for almost a year now, I even went to NIHORT Ibadan but they have only sweet Cayenne variety.
I decided to go for the variety that commercial buyers like Chi prefer which is sugarloaf variety.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2015
Sugarloaf Pineapple
Sometimes called 'White Sugarloaf or 'Kona Sugar Loaf'. Leaves are smooth. Fruit weight (2.3-2.7 kg) with a white flesh and edible core; cylindrical in shape.

Pineapple plants grow best in moderately fertile, sandy loam soils of neutral to mildly acid pH.

Plants will grow satisfactorily in sandy and calcareous soils with attention to watering and fertilizer.

Pineapple should be grown in well-drained soils and areas of the landscape that do not flood.

When planting Ananas comosus in the landscape plant at 2' apart. Proper site preparation ensures years of growth and once established they will not require weed control.

Strong growth will Soil Ph should be around 6.0-7.0 light conditions, When making a site selection keep your plant in an area that has medium or full light.

This species of Ananas comosus is considered hardy at zones 9b-11 Ananas comosus, If using drip irrigation allow soil to dry slightly between waterings.

Do not over water. Ananas comosus are tolerant. Produces large prickley flower in the summer followed by fruit. blooms are white red and sometimes pink.

Ananas comosus, this mild feeder loves an organic fertilizer N-P-K ratio or 5-5-5 or lower. Ananas comosus pests and disease, Pests or diseases are few and far between. Pineapple are also refered to as pineapple and ananas, piƱa, nanas, apangdan, yaannat, sapparot and bonat. are generally grown from shoots, seeds and tissue culture.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 8:49pm On Jul 28, 2015
Pineapple plants, like all bromeliads, slowly fade away after flowering.

Before this happens, the plants will produce one or more types of leafy offshoots: crowns, slips, suckers, and ratoons.

Crowns are shoots which grow on the tops of the pineapple fruits.

Slips are shoots which grow on the flowering stalk.

Suckers are shoots which originate from the leaf axil on the stem above ground.

Ratoons are suckers that grow from the stem below soil level.

Crowns should be the first type of propagating material used if you want to establish new plants quickly. But Suckers and ratoons are generally larger, stronger, and bear fruits sooner. Remove suckers with a sharp, serrated knife when they're at least half the size of the mother plant.

Plant suckers the same way as crowns. Slips can be numerous on some pineapple varieties, like as Sugarloaf.

If you want your fruit to be as large as possible remove them before they fully develop. If you want more plants, allow them to grow at least 4 to 6 inches (10 cm to 15 cm ) before removal.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by Neduzze5(m): 9:40pm On Jul 28, 2015
How many months will it take for harvesting to occur?
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 10:05pm On Jul 28, 2015
Neduzze5:
How many months will it take for harvesting to occur?
18 months

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 10:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
Sugar Loaf Pineapples were named after the sugarloaf, the traditional form in which refined sugar was produced and sold until the late 19th century when granulated and cube sugars were introduced.

Description/Taste
The Sugar Loaf pineapple is smaller in size than a Hawaiian or Costa Rican pineapple. They stay green even when ripe and feature a brighter pearl white fruit, with a soft edible core. Ripe Sugar Loaf pineapples will have a brighter tone at the base of the fruit, a firm skin which still gives in under a slight finger pressure, a yellow color in the cracks of the skin eyes, and a light scent.

Sugar Loaf pineapples are most often eaten fresh. They are entirely edible up to their core, which unlike the common yellow pineapple presents no woodiness, and is rather soft and a bit crunchy. Use in cocktails, blended drinks, baked goods or salads. Pair with other tropical fruits such as banana, coconut or papaya, Juice, freeze or grill slices.

The high sugar content lends well to caramelizing and browning. To help conserve moisture content, wrap whole pineapple in plastic; refrigerate. Store cut-up pineapple in an airtight container about one week.

Geography/History
Sugar Loaf pineapples usually grow in West Africa which is home to the second most fertile region of the world called the Lama depression.

The Sugar Loaf pineapples grown on the hillsides of the Allada valley in Benin Republic are very well known for their superior quality in taste and texture.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by anienge001: 2:29am On Jul 29, 2015
Do you have a pineapple plantation or just selling the suckers?

I must confess, you are everywhere in the farm. I like your versatility.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by boluwajokosegun: 9:29am On Jul 29, 2015
Smooth Cayenne Pineapple is what most farmers plant in Oyo state & it fruits earlier than 18 months depending on time of planting , max of 12 months & 8 month fruit. Many fruits companies buy it in Oyo state - 08136650972

I know of a farmer in Oyo state who has made 17m on pineapple of 5 acres in 10 years

Well done World1 you are on d right step
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
anienge001:
Do you have a pineapple plantation or just selling the suckers?

I must confess, you are everywhere in the farm. I like your versatility.

Thanks.
I don't preach what I don't do myself.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 9:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
boluwajokosegun:
Smooth Cayenne Pineapple is what most farmers plant in Oyo state & it fruits earlier than 18 months depending on time of planting , max of 12 months & 8 month fruit. Many fruits companies buy it in Oyo state - 08136650972

I know of a farmer in Oyo state who has made 17m on pineapple of 5 acres in 10 years

Well done World1 you are on d right step

My dear friend, have you ever planted pineapple before? Because I find it highly ridiculous that sweet Cayenne will fruit in 8 months.

Then what do you mean by time of planting? Pineapple can be planted any time of the year provided there is a ready source of water.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by boluwajokosegun: 4:59pm On Jul 30, 2015
Do u know most people depend on rain
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by stockbull(m): 7:09pm On Jul 30, 2015
@world1.i've sent you pm as i wanted to have talk with you.you can send me pm also.

1 Like

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 11:15pm On Jul 31, 2015
stockbull:
@world1.i've sent you pm as i wanted to have talk with you.you can send me pm also.
Sorry i didn't get it you can call me.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by ogb5(m): 12:43am On Aug 01, 2015
World1 you need to highlight the disadvantage of this species so people can make informed decisions. By having slips it will increase your production cost since you will have to pay for the labour to remove the slips. If you don't remove the slips then you will get smaller yields.

Also since the leaves are prickly, it is very inconvenient to work in the farm with leaves pricking you from all sides.

That is why the smooth cayenne has dominated commercial pineapple production. No slips to worry about and no prickly leaves.

And why is the cost of the suckers so high? How much will one sell the pineapple after 18 months labour if I buy it for 40 naira per sucker.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 3:25pm On Aug 01, 2015
Pineapple is highly demanded for, both in Nigeria and Abroad. Pineapple farming is a multi-billion Dollar industry and a money spinner for interested investors.

The current total world production is 14.220 million tons as against the Total world demands which is about 467 million tons per year.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by Neduzze5(m): 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
ogb5:
World1 you need to highlight the disadvantage of this species so people can make informed decisions. By having slips it will increase your production cost since you will have to pay for the labour to remove the slips. If you don't remove the slips then you will get smaller yields.

Also since the leaves are prickly, it is very inconvenient to work in the farm with leaves pricking you from all sides.

That is why the smooth cayenne has dominated commercial pineapple production. No slips to worry about and no prickly leaves.

And why is the cost of the suckers so high? How much will one sell the pineapple after 18 months labour if I buy it for 40 naira per sucker.

What are slips?
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 4:19pm On Aug 01, 2015
Neduzze5:

What are slips?

Slips are the tiny plantlets that grow at the base of the fruit on the fruit stalk.

Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by mrvitalis(m): 7:11am On Aug 04, 2015
Sir please how many suckers can one plant in one hecter of land please
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 7:22am On Aug 04, 2015
mrvitalis:
Sir please how many suckers can one plant in one hecter of land please
Depends on the spacing, it can be densely populated as 25,000.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by mrvitalis(m): 7:34am On Aug 04, 2015
world1:

Depends on the spacing, it can be densely populated as 25,000.
I read 70000/hecter.. . . Just want to know how possible it is.. . They said 25000/acres
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by Agrotradeafrica: 12:37pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hello,

This is the Agrotradeafrica social media team, we would like to invite you to use our new online portal for agricultural trade. All you have to do is to post the details of your desired transaction along with your preferred contact details and get contacted by interested sellers/buyers. Start now at www.agrotradeafrica.com
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by jossytech(m): 1:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
Bro, what is least i can plant on 1acre of land, can you reduce the 40/1 for me and what is period of growth b4 harvesting and what is likely market price for each pipeapple, does the market ready
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 3:00pm On Aug 04, 2015
mrvitalis:

I read 70000/hecter.. . . Just want to know how possible it is.. . They said 25000/acres
I do 10000 per acre
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by world1(m): 3:02pm On Aug 04, 2015
jossytech:
Bro, what is least i can plant on 1acre of land, can you reduce the 40/1 for me and what is period of growth b4 harvesting and what is likely market price for each pipeapple, does the market ready
Kindly go through my post as All you question as been answered.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by Welder(m): 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hi World1

One sucker only yields one fruit right? Please confirm how many fruits one sucker yield upon maturity.
Re: Pineapple Suckers For Sale (sugar-loaf Variety) by mrvitalis(m): 7:00pm On Aug 04, 2015
world1:

I do 10000 per acre
And how much do u sale the fruits at an average

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Problems Of Agriculture In Nigeria And Possible Solution / 10 Leading Farms In Nigeria, Their Owners / 7 Ways To Keep Monkey Away From Your Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.