Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,668 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date (61802 Views)

Nigerian Changes Chewing Gum's Expiry Date / Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food / 3 Differences Between Expiry & Best Before Date Of Food (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
ShobayoEmma:
hbd to me. Pls show me some likes since nairaland admi has refused to list me amongts today's celebrants birthday board list.

indicate ur gender n u will get ur wish... grin . u no say likes costly dis day's cool
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by 2kurupt(m): 2:51pm On Jul 29, 2015
Calebosko:
Most times when we walk into big malls,
boutiques, supermarkets, we never
question their prices. We pay exactly what
we see on the price tags and even hand
out tips to the staff. But the moment we
are out of these shops and want tobuy
banana, our bargaining game gets off to
the roof. . Poor widow with 12 hungry
children at home tells you banana is N100.
She even takes out her time to explain
how difficult it wasfor her to even buy it,
how the economy is so tough. But we
insist that if it's not N50, we are not
paying. Some of us even step back into our
cars and make to drive away. . But because
'half bread is better chin chin', this woman
is forced to call you back and sell to you at
little or no gain. In her heart, she cries,
she's worried about how she'll survive
with her children. She silently reassures
herself that 'It's well. God will definitely
provide.'' While you happily chop the
luscious banana. . Take some seconds out
and think about this, guys. Please don't
bargain hard with small vendors like this.
They do business not to buy designer
bags, Gucci shoes but to LIVE and EAT!
Have a luvly week ahead.

I do understand your emphatic stance, but I disagree with your choice of comparisons. You tend to confuse charity & business(money), no offense.

You probably have no idea the kind of over-head cost required to run these big malls & supermarkets. From power (diesel & generator maintenance) cost, staff remuneration, utility cost, security, rent etc These are all cash intensive ventures that is not helped by the ever present unfavourable business environment faced in the country. These superstores have their own challenges like the popular pidgin English proverbs goes "big man, big wahala". Let's not forget these big stores usually use standardized prices.

Imagine a situation whereby everybody that patronized a gala/go slow snack seller, kiosk owner, market stall seller etc paid without the usual haggling of price then we'll have an inflation crises in our hands that will make that of Zimbabwe look like child's play.

BTW who says you can't tip a road-side seller for impressive service received? At least then the seller is able to distinguish a tip from actual cost of the product.

2 Likes

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by 9jatatafo(m): 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
What of the dates all my Ibo guys dey alter nko?
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by nonyedoris: 2:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
Some items like pure water will say 3 months from production date, yet no date to indicate the production date, yet Nafdac will claim they are working.
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Lolaabokoku(f): 2:56pm On Jul 29, 2015
Educative!
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Teeboy15(m): 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
Op u said manufacturers may choose to write 80 days when the actual Best Before date is 100 days What if I bought a product and b BB date is actually and truly past 100 days, how do I know dis? undecided
I think they at d end of the day Best Before and Expiry dates actually mean d same, jst different statements
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
Lexusgs430:

Can I be the hive for the Eyekandi or Eye Candy?

wink
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by okooloyun1(m): 2:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
I learnt something today
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by solonazzy: 3:07pm On Jul 29, 2015
Calebosko:
Have a luvly week ahead.
Nt to b tribalistic, if I notice d seller is igbo, I'm definitely Goin to price hard.... Cos I kno d price has been doubled if nt tripled
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Dagoma: 3:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
Educative article, good enlightenment!
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Originalsly: 3:18pm On Jul 29, 2015
As for me both mean the same..... not good. I do place close attention to the printed dates....some supermarkets erase the date, rewrap the product and stamp a new date. ...especially with eggs and meat. What does your supermarket do with their expired meats?.....dump it?..or sell it to roadside vendors at very reduced price? When you buy fried or whatever chicken...and you find the bone is not attached to the flesh..then you should know if the chicken you already swallowed came from the shelf or the dumpster. Don't ask me how I know!
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by chidexxy007(m): 3:23pm On Jul 29, 2015
actually gala dy sweet pass after d BB date
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by legendsilver(m): 3:35pm On Jul 29, 2015
DeHero1:
Buhari has reach Best Before date...

After his first 100 days, he has reached expiry date and as d OP said, no longer useful. angry

Bottom line... Make hay while the sun shines. The 'change' we've experienced so far isn't positive at all.
WAILER has come again to WAIL Ooooooooooo.
Just take heart b4 the heart fails u grin
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Nobody: 3:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
JeffreyJamez:
Chai!!... all those Gala I've thrown away cos BB date embarassed
As a seller or consumer?
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by ify84(m): 3:43pm On Jul 29, 2015
For instance, I saw a malt that has BB as may 2015.... So u mean I can drink it as at today July... After 2 months.... Therefore, if this same malt reaches Dec... 8 months after, from ur analysis, I shd still drink it
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Reference(m): 3:44pm On Jul 29, 2015
Originalsly:
As for me both mean the same..... not good. I do place close attention to the printed dates....some supermarkets erase the date, rewrap the product and stamp a new date. ...especially with eggs and meat. What does your supermarket do with their expired meats?.....dump it?..or sell it to roadside vendors at very reduced price? When you buy fried or whatever chicken...and you find the bone is not attached to the flesh..then you should know if the chicken you already swallowed came from the shelf or the dumpster. Don't ask me how I know!

Ewwwuuuh! So gross. The mumified corpse of King Tut may be a better source of protein.
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Walelavender(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2015
barry40:
Some items has just 'manufactured date'. This leaves consumers with not enough information to start guessing what the expiry date will be. A good example is 'tyres'
For tyres,just add four years to the manufactured date. It gives you the year of expiry
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Spydamannn(m): 5:02pm On Jul 29, 2015
2kurupt:

I do understand your emphatic stance, but I disagree with your choice of comparisons. You tend to confuse charity & business(money), no offense.

You probably have no idea the kind of over-head cost required to run these big malls & supermarkets. From power (diesel & generator maintenance) cost, staff remuneration, utility cost, security, rent etc These are all cash intensive ventures that is not helped by the ever present unfavourable business environment faced in the country. These superstores have their own challenges like the popular pidgin English proverbs goes "big man, big wahala". Let's not forget these big stores usually use standardized prices.

Imagine a situation whereby everybody that patronized a gala/go slow snack seller, kiosk owner, market stall seller etc paid without the usual haggling of price then we'll have an inflation crises in our hands that will make that of Zimbabwe look like child's play.

BTW who says you can't tip a road-side seller for impressive service received? At least then the seller is able to distinguish a tip from actual cost of the product.
I love the way you broke it Down
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jul 29, 2015
ahamonyeka:
grin ;DHere in nigeria we eat expired food that has expired over 11years angryHere in nigeria we eat expired food that has expired over 11years

Example is chocola royal

That's a fat lie.. undecided
ahamonyeka:
grin ;DHere in nigeria we eat expired food that has expired over 11years angryHere in nigeria we eat expired food that has expired over 11years

Example is chocola royal

That's a fat lie..

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by madgoat(m): 5:13pm On Jul 29, 2015
Wow... I av a bottle of salad cream i should av thrown away. Its BB date is dec 2014. So happy i can still use it grin
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by ahamonyeka(m): 5:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
AkunneObinna:

That's a fat lie.. undecided
That's a fat lie..
what do you know?
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by DocAdray(f): 5:24pm On Jul 29, 2015
Calebosko:
Have a luvly week ahead.

Awesome!...
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by komek(m): 5:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
Calebosko:
Most times when we walk into big malls, boutiques, supermarkets, we never question their prices. We pay exactly what we see on the price tags and even hand out tips to the staff. But the moment we are out of these shops and want tobuy banana, our bargaining game gets off to the roof. . Poor widow with 12 hungry children at home tells you banana is N100. She even takes out her time to explain how difficult it wasfor her to even buy it, how the economy is so tough. But we insist that if it's not N50, we are not paying. Some of us even step back into our cars and make to drive away. . But because 'half bread is better chin chin', this woman is forced to call you back and sell to you at little or no gain. In her heart, she cries, she's worried about how she'll survive with her children. She silently reassures herself that 'It's well. God will definitely provide.'' While you happily chop the luscious banana. . Take some seconds out and think about this, guys. Please don't bargain hard with small vendors like this. They do business not to buy designer bags, Gucci shoes but to LIVE and EAT! Have a luvly week ahead.
Touching

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by toygod2: 5:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
lol
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
LieDetector:
I swear I'm guilty of taking the two terminologies to mean the same thing. I feel like turning back the hands of time so I can get to recover all the beverages I've been throwing away as a result of this gross ignorance.

But trust me wink. I ain't gonna disclose this to my friends. I'm gonna use this piece of information to my advantage grin. You understand that right? wink
Mugu! LolLol grin
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by BashMe1(m): 6:02pm On Jul 29, 2015
talktofemi:

Totally on point.

Naija where manufacturers pushes forward the BB and expiry dates way beyond the actual.

Better not to consume sef when those dates printed is near.

Thank you for helping to reinstate dat. Else, d person wu consumes Best Before and d person dat consumes Expiry Date will suffer same consequence.
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by CharlieMaria(m): 6:24pm On Jul 29, 2015
Calebosko:
Most times when we walk into big malls, boutiques, supermarkets, we never question their prices. We pay exactly what we see on the price tags and even hand out tips to the staff. But the moment we are out of these shops and want tobuy banana, our bargaining game gets off to the roof. . Poor widow with 12 hungry children at home tells you banana is N100. She even takes out her time to explain how difficult it wasfor her to even buy it, how the economy is so tough. But we insist that if it's not N50, we are not paying. Some of us even step back into our cars and make to drive away. . But because 'half bread is better chin chin', this woman is forced to call you back and sell to you at little or no gain. In her heart, she cries, she's worried about how she'll survive with her children. She silently reassures herself that 'It's well. God will definitely provide.'' While you happily chop the luscious banana. . Take some seconds out and think about this, guys. Please don't bargain hard with small vendors like this. They do business not to buy designer bags, Gucci shoes but to LIVE and EAT! Have a luvly week ahead.
God Bless You
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by kene05(m): 7:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
adonbilivit:
I will rather throw the gala away. best before indicates when the quality of the goods cant be trusted again. so u want to risk your life cos of 50 naira gala? u even did the INTRO on this your own post. INTROvert u did not do the intro, why?
When i was serving in niger state walahi i dey see gala wey expire two months ago and dey still buy it and nothing happens to them, shun dat thin, just because we are enlightened enough it tends to affect our mindset.
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by Missbizy(f): 7:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
Very informative thanks Op
Re: Difference Between Expiry Date And Best Before Date by gesoilo(m): 8:31pm On Jul 29, 2015
DeHero1:
Buhari has reach Best Before date...

After his first 100 days, he has reached expiry date and as d OP said, no longer useful. angry

Bottom line... Make hay while the sun shines. The 'change' we've experienced so far isn't positive at all.
gringringrin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

You Can Only Buy 2 Packs Of Juice - SPAR Supermarket Tells Customers (photo) / Peak Milk And Dano Milk Battle Each Other On Twitter. See What Happened / A Dolphin Caught And Slaughtered In Agge, Bayelsa State (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.