Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,706 members, 7,820,469 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:31 PM

Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim (47743 Views)

Nairaland Artiste Andy Blaze drops Two New Singles " Put Call" And "Pikachu" / Five Nigerian Artiste That Are Struggling To Get Another Hit / Opinion : Top Five Most Featured Nigerian Artiste (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by saasala(m): 8:48pm On Jul 29, 2015
killjoy:
y do posters always end der post with dis " Cc lalasticlala,Ishilove"

Cc lalasticlala,Ishilove

Lalasticlala and Ishilove are some of the Nairaland moderators. If you mention them in a post, they will get a notification about your post, and if its good enough, they will move it to frontpage.
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by dejavski(m): 8:48pm On Jul 29, 2015
Op u forgot to add Dr Albam - it's my life undecided

2 Likes

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by musicwriter(m): 8:49pm On Jul 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
These are Singles that have not only gained Grounds locally but have also reached high International acclaim and recognition worldwide
This List does not include Remixes with american or international artiste but Mainly original songs

1) Nneka HeartBeat - Nneka hearbeat Track is one of the most internationally recognized Nigerian songs . The NEA award winning act released the Song to world wide critical acclaim, It got featured in the Hollywood movie, You got Served and as being Sampled by many artistes including Drake, Rita Ora and Chase&Status as well as a Remix that Featured American Superstar NAS.

2) Tuface African Queen - African Queen is also another original song by Tuface idibia that has Received international acclaim and Fame .The Song Served as the Soundtrack for Hollywood Movie ,Phatz girls and Also brought in many Awards for Tuface including MTV European Award

3) Davido Skelewu - Skelewu Became one of the few Nigerian songs to Attain constant play status on International BBC 1 xtra Playlist. The Track has been Remixed by Various Artistes across Africa like Uhuru and Many celebrities have Embraced the dance style like Adebayor,Samuel Eto ,meek mill.
The Song was playee during an Halftime break when Atletico madrid played Espanyol in Estadio vicente Caldero.Major lazer ,an international act also did a cover of the Song .

4) Dbanj Oliver Twist - This song has been termed perphaps the Greatest Song out of Africa. The Song Reached No 9 on the Top 10 UK singles Chart and No 1 on the Shazam Uk Chart. This Single Got Him a Deal with Kanye West Good Music.He performed at the Afcon Finals and The Song was played at The Russia vs Brazil Olympics Basketball match.
it Featured on The Britain Got Talent show by CEO dancers and has been remixed by Many Foreign Artistes notably Pitbull and Estelle ..

5) Wizkid Ojuelegba - Off The Chart Topping Wizkid Sophomore Album,Joy which the Rollingstone named one of the top 100 albums .Ojuelegba was perphaps the most popular Single off the album and became an instant hit with various Cover being Done by Sarkodie and many other Artistes. Ellie Goulding,Drake and Skepta are some Celebrities that have applauded the song and The Remix ft Drake and Skepta is fast gaining ground.

Please Note that the Likes of Angelique Kidjo, Fela Kuti,Femi kuti and Asa, Psquare are Totally in a League of Their Own !!!

No Nigerian musician have been able to achieve internationally what Majek Fashek and Fela did, unless you're of course talking about new acts.

A friend staying in Australia once came home and I asked him what Nigerian artistes do get airplays over there, and he said Majek and Fela. That was in the early 2000's though.

I also have a track "Satan kingdom is fall" that was among top ten in US "reggae chart" last year. Verify for yourself, if you want.

iTunes, artiste name: Africason

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by hefelove(m): 8:49pm On Jul 29, 2015
what about street credibility by 9ice ft 2face?
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by femi4: 8:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
viktor01:
Besides African queen & Oliver twist, I didn't even knw dat d odas u mentioned existed.
buy Dstv, you no go buy
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by khadaffi(m): 8:50pm On Jul 29, 2015
Where

Majek Fashek- So long

Danfo Drivers - Kpolongo
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by funmijoyb(f): 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
anonimi:

Is Angelique Kidjo a Nigerian?
I thought she is from Benin Republic, not so

She's Sings in hardcore yoruba
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by femi4: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2015
vickydevoka:
De enlisted singles ain't good enough. my list goes lyk this, in no chronological order;

2face african queen(BET)

olu maintain yahoozee

Nice Konga so 9ice Gongo Aso

Iceprince Oleku (BET)

aiye Aye davido (BET)

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by ritux: 8:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
Iamsynord:
These are Singles that have not only gained Grounds locally but have also reached high International acclaim and recognition worldwide
This List does not include Remixes with american or international artiste but Mainly original songs

1) Nneka HeartBeat - Nneka hearbeat Track is one of the most internationally recognized Nigerian songs . The NEA award winning act released the Song to world wide critical acclaim, It got featured in the Hollywood movie, You got Served and as being Sampled by many artistes including Drake, Rita Ora and Chase&Status as well as a Remix that Featured American Superstar NAS.

2) Tuface African Queen - African Queen is also another original song by Tuface idibia that has Received international acclaim and Fame .The Song Served as the Soundtrack for Hollywood Movie ,Phatz girls and Also brought in many Awards for Tuface including MTV European Award

3) Davido Skelewu - Skelewu Became one of the few Nigerian songs to Attain constant play status on International BBC 1 xtra Playlist. The Track has been Remixed by Various Artistes across Africa like Uhuru and Many celebrities have Embraced the dance style like Adebayor,Samuel Eto ,meek mill.
The Song was playee during an Halftime break when Atletico madrid played Espanyol in Estadio vicente Caldero.Major lazer ,an international act also did a cover of the Song .

4) Dbanj Oliver Twist - This song has been termed perphaps the Greatest Song out of Africa. The Song Reached No 9 on the Top 10 UK singles Chart and No 1 on the Shazam Uk Chart. This Single Got Him a Deal with Kanye West Good Music.He performed at the Afcon Finals and The Song was played at The Russia vs Brazil Olympics Basketball match.
it Featured on The Britain Got Talent show by CEO dancers and has been remixed by Many Foreign Artistes notably Pitbull and Estelle ..

5) [s]Wizkid Ojuelegba - Off The Chart Topping Wizkid Sophomore Album,Joy which the Rollingstone named one of the top 100 albums .Ojuelegba was perphaps the most popular Single off the album and became an instant hit with various Cover being Done by Sarkodie and many other Artistes. Ellie Goulding,Drake and Skepta are some Celebrities that have applauded the song and The Remix ft Drake and Skepta is fast gaining ground.[/s]

I will replace that with Psquare's chop my money. That song was popular in the UK and France in 2012.

Please Note that the Likes of Angelique Kidjo, Fela Kuti,Femi kuti and Asa, Psquare are Totally in a League of Their Own !!!

What do you mean by totally in a League of their own?

More like saying the best 4 footballers are Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho

Then saying the likes of Kanu, Drogba, Kaka, Rivaldo and CR7 are in a different league of their own better than Pele, Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.

What an insult.
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by femi4: 8:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
Here is my list:

9ice: Gongo Aso

Olu maintain: Yahooze

Sound Sultan: King of my Country

Ice prince: Oleku

Style plus: Olufunmi

2 Likes

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by lifeofkelvino(m): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
lopgine:
olamide shakiti

If I tear u slap eeh undecided
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by grin88(m): 8:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
afolwalex20:

No b only yori yori

Mtchew

na yimu yimu
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by anonimi: 8:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
funmijoyb:

No! She does not.

Moreover, since when did singing a FEW words of yoruba in any song make the singer a Nigerian
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by WATERLee1: 9:02pm On Jul 29, 2015
lopgine:
olamide shakiti
olamide ko wealth mi don cum ni
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by Sanchez01: 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
funmijoyb:

Not really hardcore. She sings in Yoruba language. Her accent makes her Yoruba difficult to understand. Regardless, Angelina Kidjo is in a class of her own.

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by 400billionman: 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2015
wisefizz:
cool.. Cool

Bro op.. I thank the Lord for you..

He showered u nothing than musical brain... tongue grin

Hahaha. End of story. Songs wey no get rhyme.

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by literatichick: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
Flavour's "Ashawo Remix" was a continental hit in 2011. It also hit the airwaves in the carribbean big time.

The Op also forgot "Sweet Mother" by Nico Mbarga

Each of these songs were WAY bigger than Wiz Kid's Ojuelegba.

3 Likes

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by johncreek: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2015
I respect your last statement OP...
They are actually another set of Leagues

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 29, 2015
musicwriter:

No Nigerian musician have been able to achieve internationally what Majek Fashek and Fela did, unless you're of course talking about new acts.

A friend staying in Australia once came home and I asked him what Nigerian artistes do get airplays over there, and he said Majek and Fela. That was in the early 2000's though.

I also have a track "Satan kingdom is fall" that was among top ten in US "reggae chart" last year. Verify for yourself, if you want.

iTunes, artiste name: Africason

True Sir u are a star

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by Musicminista(m): 9:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
Sorry ooo but.......
1. Asa- Jailer
2.Asa- Fire on the mountain
3. Tu face- African queen
4.D banj - Oliver twist
5.Flavour - Ashawo or Ada ada

These are songs that were appreciated by all not promoted with money. Ppl home and abroad genuinely loved these songs and I thing kukere is up der too
I love Nneka but how many ppl know Nneka in Nigeria? Only those with DSTV! Skelwewu kor skeleton ni Ojuelegba is nice but not up der

Notable mentions shud Aye, gongo aso, Yahooze etc kukere
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by literatichick: 9:23pm On Jul 29, 2015
Dr. Alban has been overlooked time and time again. His dance songs were big in the 1990's especially In Europe:

Alban Uzoma Nwapa (born 26 August 1957), known by his stage name Dr. Alban, is a Nigerian-born Swedish musician and producer with his own record label dr-records.[1] His music can best be described as a Eurodance/hip-hop reggae with a dancehall style.[1] He sold an estimated 16 million records worldwide[2][3][4] and is most famous for his worldwide 1992 hit "It's My Life".[1]

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by Musicminista(m): 9:25pm On Jul 29, 2015
Iamsynord:

True Sir u are a star

I think hes talking about new generation artistes cos fela majek fashek n KSA are in a league of dia own. To be nominated for grammy no b small tin
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by literatichick: 9:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
A nice tribute to Africa from the Dr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYImEf_-km0

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by Musicminista(m): 9:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
literatichick:
Flavour's "Ashawo Remix" was a continental hit in 2011. It also hit the airwaves in the carribbean big time.

The Op also forgot "Sweet Mother" by Nico Mbarga

Each of these songs were WAY bigger than Wiz Kid's Ojuelegba.
u are so on point ashawo was a global hit
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by funmijoyb(f): 9:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
anonimi:

No! She does not.

Moreover, since when did singing a FEW words of yoruba in any song make the singer a Nigerian

Why did u say she does not? do u even knw her songs? can u speak yoruba fluently? her songs are Mostly Yoruba, Fon and french . her yoruba is d hard core ones bcus they r cultural, Melodically, proverbial and everything. she has performed in numerous places in the South west of Nigeria and she was born to a Yoruba Mother and Fon father
Mind you 60% of the Fon people of benin also speak Yoruba.

Here are are d hit songs frm her 80% yoruba. Making her a yoruba Woman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ang%C3%A9lique_Kidjo#In_popular_culture

Pretty (1981)
Ewa Ka Djo (Let's Dance) (1985)
Parakou (1990)
Logozo (1991)
Ayé (1994)
Fifa (1996)
Oremi (1998)
Keep On Moving: The Best Of Angelique Kidjo (2001)
Black Ivory Soul (2002)
Oyaya! (2004)
Djin Djin (2007)
Õÿö (2010)
Spirit Rising (Live) (2012)
Eve (2014)
SINGS with the Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg (2015)

1 Like

Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by ben1daEbiri(m): 9:36pm On Jul 29, 2015
bro4u:
Op you forgot to add Kukere(Iyanya), cos CEO dancers danced to it before switching to Oliver Twist(Dbanj)...I recently heard the wizkid's Ojuelegba remix done with Drake, Drake was off-point on the music...
***Modified***...
I was expecting to see Limpopo(Kcee), Akwa ibom(Mish).
Drake was way off-point,i thought i was the only one who observed it,right from the first time i heard his line (even though it wasn't all cohorent),i no ticed it,how can you rap about love while the song is centred on hardwork and how he (wizkid) suffered before achieving success,at the beginning of the video,the bus wizkid entered depicts his suffering,entering the "danfo" bus for commutation,but now,he travels of ferraris and private jets....drake need sleep!
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by adedam23(m): 9:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
Hysmady:
Nice list but still many more...What about Small Doctor Mosquito killer undecided
...no b only small doctor, na big doctor dey list, chk d list again...#oshofri
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by fizziea(m): 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2015
RichDad1:
Where is
My Car_ Tony Tetuila
Yahoozee_ Olu Maintain
Dorobuchi_ Mavins
Personally_ P Square...infact all P square songs are Continental hits

Ojuelegba ko, Stadium ni angry angry angry
Aiye is more Popular than Skelewu

This last line really save you.... cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

no mind d clueless op joooo
maybe he dey ontop toto dey compile nonsense
psquare dat are born to make international hit. wch African artiste is/are successful as psquare?
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by musicwriter(m): 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2015
Iamsynord:

True Sir u are a star
Thank you!
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by coolzeal(m): 9:45pm On Jul 29, 2015
Flavour.....(Ashawo remix) should be on that list.. Almost everyone on the continent of Africa dance to the tune of that song including some other continents. That song is an African national anthem..

Iyanya.... Kukere..
Re: Opinion : Top Five Nigerian Singles That Attained International Acclaim by anonimi: 9:53pm On Jul 29, 2015
funmijoyb:

Why did u say she does not? do u even knw her songs? can u speak yoruba fluently? her songs are Mostly Yoruba, Fon and french . her yoruba is d hard core ones bcus they r cultural, Melodically, proverbial and everything. she has performed in numerous places in the South west of Nigeria and she was born to a Yoruba Mother and Fon father
Mind you 60% of the Fon people of benin also speak Yoruba.

Here are are d hit songs frm her 80% yoruba. Making her a yoruba Woman
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ang%C3%A9lique_Kidjo#In_popular_culture

Pretty (1981)
Ewa Ka Djo (Let's Dance) (1985)
Parakou (1990)
Logozo (1991)
Ayé (1994)
Fifa (1996)
Oremi (1998)
Keep On Moving: The Best Of Angelique Kidjo (2001)
Black Ivory Soul (2002)
Oyaya! (2004)
Djin Djin (2007)
Õÿö (2010)
Spirit Rising (Live) (2012)
Eve (2014)
SINGS with the Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg (2015)

I said she sings a few yoruba words, not so?

Is the Fon and/or yoruba society MATRILINEAL?

Overall is she a Beninois or Nigerian

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Wizkid Joins Justin Bieber On Stage To Perform Essence: PICS & VIDEO / Ayo Orowale, Broadcaster Is Dead (Photo) / Eedris Abdulkareem Is Battling Kidney Failure Seeks Fans' Prayers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.