Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,054 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. (21979 Views)

7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing / The Hard Truth About Your Salary / When Your NYSC Alawee Is More Than Your Salary (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 31, 2015
OP, thanks for this message. We just cant stop learning.

I shared a similar message weeks back. You wont be disappointed reading it: https://www.nairaland.com/2416887/financial-mistakes-almost-wasted-first

2 Likes

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by tunergy(m): 10:28am On Jul 31, 2015
naijainfogalery:
If you are thinking of saving in Nigeria you are on your own, from experience, something will always come up. So to save

1. Invest 50% of your salary monthly in something you cant convert to cash easily - Buying properties etc
2. Do a direct debit to an account that you cant access, no deposit slip, no cheque , no ATM (dont bother asking for it) then do an automatic transfer of 10% of your salary monthly
3. Also do a savings with an insurance firm that u can only access after one year 10% of your money
4. keep another 10% for small small investment
5. Then blow the rest with all alacrity, trust me with the remaining change you will learnt to spend wisely by force by fire

You analysis is perfect for a single Guy or Babe without dependence.

But for a married man with children?

It is near Impossible.

I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by deadZONE: 10:32am On Jul 31, 2015
mehn... leave talk, is only when u are making more than ur budget that u can save and make plans, for now we are all surviving and not living.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by slap1(m): 10:38am On Jul 31, 2015
I made a similar plan, then my July salary was slashed inexplicably. angry
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 10:58am On Jul 31, 2015
kennygee:
Easy to say

Some people's take home salary doesn't even take them to the bridge before their house talk more of taking them home.

When responsibilities full neck?
That is where the problem lies. The problem is the individual in question. When there is a will there will surely be a way. One of my guiding principle has always being "if you can, you can; if you can't then you can't".
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Chongaiman: 11:01am On Jul 31, 2015
GoldenDr:
I think before the salary comes make the budget. Prior Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance.
Do not depend solely on your salary....have other streams of income.
Success have many foster parents, failure is an orphan.

A gateman built a house with his mearge salary while a low level manager retired with nothing to show for it.

A friend currently in Abuja earning 45k as a contract staff was able to buy and build a house although not the kind he would have wished, the brother is a house owner while those that earn 135k can't even boast of 1.5m savings yearly.

Guy, fear God! A savings of 1.5m would leave a balance of 120k for all other expenses in the same year (or 10k per month). Why live by the Niger and wash your hands with spittle?

5 Likes

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by seangy4konji: 11:13am On Jul 31, 2015
Salary

God help us.
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by naijainfogalery: 11:22am On Jul 31, 2015
you are right sha, women wont understand, i worked for 3 years without savings until i started this approach lol
tunergy:

You analysis is perfect for a single Guy or Babe without dependence.

But for a married man with children?

It is near Impossible.

I stand to be corrected.

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by rattlesnake(m): 11:24am On Jul 31, 2015
Rabbish
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Eneze1(f): 11:38am On Jul 31, 2015
naijainfogalery:
If you are thinking of saving in Nigeria you are on your own, from experience, something will always come up. So to save

1. Invest 50% of your salary monthly in something you cant convert to cash easily - Buying properties etc
2. Do a direct debit to an account that you cant access, no deposit slip, no cheque , no ATM (dont bother asking for it) then do an automatic transfer of 10% of your salary monthly
3. Also do a savings with an insurance firm that u can only access after one year 10% of your money
4. keep another 10% for small small investment
5. Then blow the rest with all alacrity, trust me with the remaining change you will learn to spend wisely by force by fire

No. 2 is applicable to me, no time for stories
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by naijainfogalery: 11:47am On Jul 31, 2015
You are a female now, as a man you have family, friends, relation that all rely on you, and the kind problem some people bring to you, even that money you dont have access you. you will quickly find a way to get it out, but if u dont have the money , my dear there is nothing anyone can do
The direct debit is not a bad idea sha-

i run 4 accounts -
1 for entertainment
2 for saving
3 for investment
4 Friends and family , so immediately i run low on this one, o boy if you like come and cry fire, you will wait till next month except its a matter of life and death lol

Eneze1:

No. 2 is applicable to me, no time for stories

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by CrazyMan(m): 11:53am On Jul 31, 2015
kennygee:
Easy to say

Some people's take home salary doesn't even take them to the bridge before their house talk more of taking them home.

When responsibilities full neck?
Then you cut your coat according to the cloth.

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Eneze1(f): 12:01pm On Jul 31, 2015
naijainfogalery:
You are a female now, as a man you have family, friends, relation that all rely on you, and the kind problem some people bring to you, even that money you dont have access you. you will quickly find a way to get it out, but if u dont have the money , my dear there is nothing anyone can do
The direct debit is not a bad idea sha-

i run 4 accounts -
1 for entertainment
2 for saving
3 for investment
4 Friends and family , so immediately i run low on this one, o boy if you like come and cry fire, you will wait till next month except its a matter of life and death lol

My friend, the mere fact that I'm a lady doesn't mean there are no responsibilty to shoulder. It largely depends on your position in the family, environment and so many other things. Immediately people know you are working, they will keep coming to you to help solve one problem or the other and if you are not careful you find out that more than what you actually spend on yourself has been used for others.

4 Likes

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 31, 2015
Get a separate bank account with no ATM for your savings... less temptation to withdraw.
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by obisunif(m): 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2015
How I wish I could stick to your suggestions but.......nice one sha!
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by fortunejum: 12:45pm On Jul 31, 2015
You sexual spirit, I bide you in the name of Jesus.
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by iyisco2001(m): 1:23pm On Jul 31, 2015
Amethyst1:

Wow! My first day on nairaland and I'm making front page! Wana dedicate this achievement to that toaster of mine who directed me to this site as a way of curing my boredom. I may probably give your proposal a consideration.

I guarantee you, many more proposals are coming from here. grin
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by naijainfogalery: 1:25pm On Jul 31, 2015
as in the way people will come after you ehn, and its still the same people that will ask you what you have been doing with your money, and its amazing how they suddenly think you are earning times 10 of what you actually earn. thats why i never tell how much i earn to any friend or family member except someone i know can handle that kind of money lol
Eneze1:

My friend, the mere fact that I'm a lady doesn't mean there are no responsibilty to shoulder. It largely depends on your position in the family, environment and so many other things. Immediately people know you are working, they will keep coming to you to help solve one problem or the other and if you are not careful you find out that more than what you actually spend on yourself has been used for others.

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by odobe007(m): 1:27pm On Jul 31, 2015
Amethyst1:
The only thing money has taught me is that; 'You think modestly and brilliantly before you get paid, but once you're paid, then, it's a different ball game'

Wow! My first day on nairaland and I'm making front page! Wana dedicate this achievement to that toaster of mine who directed me to this site as a way of curing my boredom. I may probably give your proposal a consideration.

thank you babe ....so u will finally give me ur numba
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by emmansus(f): 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2015
Bro if u dey talk to oyibo pple wetin u teach go wok but as long as u dey teach naija pple,abeg do me a favour se u don educate employers of labour on hw to pay salary first,den com do phisibility studies on hw average naija pple dey feed per day,den fine out if one naija pesin salary na for him alone or na for so many mouth,bro na for only naija pesin dey earn 50k for d pass 8yrs no increment instead na decrement wit bank hiding charges,bro talk many so leave dat tin go teach oyibo pple.I rest my case

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by firfinch(m): 1:49pm On Jul 31, 2015
Amethyst1:
The only thing money has taught me is that; 'You think modestly and brilliantly before you get paid, but once you're paid, then, it's a different ball game'

What a wise decision! Who is not envious of a Nairalander? Never a dull moment. Nairaland has been my one stop site for everything you can think of. I may not visit facebook in 3 months, but nairaland . . . Almost every 30 minutes.
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by uwakmfonabasi(f): 2:07pm On Jul 31, 2015
A Nice one there @op thanks

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Eneze1(f): 2:20pm On Jul 31, 2015
naijainfogalery:
as in the way people will come after you ehn, and its still the same people that will ask you what you have been doing with your money, and its amazing how they suddenly think you are earning times 10 of what you actually earn. thats why i never tell how much i earn to any friend or family member except someone i know can handle that kind of money lol

lol... Is just the society, majority of we Nigerians are wired to depend on others for things we are sopposed to cater for ourselves.
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by naijainfogalery: 2:48pm On Jul 31, 2015
True sha, it can be fun when its done normal , but when people come to ask money just to exploit you all because they think u have excess is annoying
Eneze1:

lol... Is just the society, majority of we Nigerians are wired to depend on others for things we are sopposed to cater for ourselves.
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Amethyst1(f): 3:19pm On Jul 31, 2015
iyisco2001:

I guarantee you, many more proposals are coming from here. grin
And it has! Within a space of 1hour,I've received about 10 emails. Hian!
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Amethyst1(f): 3:20pm On Jul 31, 2015
odobe007:

thank you babe ....so u will finally give me ur numba
You get motor?

1 Like

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Amethyst1(f): 3:21pm On Jul 31, 2015
firfinch:
What a wise decision! Who is not envious of a Nairalander? Never a dull moment. Nairaland has been my one stop site for everything you can think of. I may not visit facebook in 3 months, but nairaland . . . Almost every 30 minutes.
Honestly, this forum is da bomb! Why haven't I discovered it before now? I guess I'm addicted now!
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by bosunjohns(m): 3:24pm On Jul 31, 2015
CrazyMan:
After receiving your salary, it seems money always finds a way out of your wallet or purse, sometimes without consulting you. Your paycheck is hardly enough for expenses within the month not to talk about saving a portion for an investment or project.

With these few hacks, you should be able to keep a few bucks away and still make the very best of your remuneration.

1. Make a budget and stick to it.

Immediately you get notification of payment of your salary, take a few minutes to reflect deeply and write an explicit budget. Write down all expenses, essential and trivial, that you propose to make for that month. Don’t leave excess cash as miscellaneous, even if it is for recreation or outings, always try to tie something to your cash.

2. Reverse your thinking; Pay yourself first

Get this. After you get paid for performing various duties and responsibilities at work, you pay everybody else but yourself. Isn’t that just wrong? Your mechanic, food vendor and many other individuals get a slice of the cake while you get only the icing. Take out a certain percentage monthly (say 15%) and stash it in an account that you don’t access regularly. This will can become the spine for future investments or just extra cash for exigencies.

3. Reduce your expenses

There are some unnecessary activities that you spend excessively on monthly. It is quite important to cut these short while also making the best of expedient purchases. This will include you trying to make the best bargains from your groceries, internet payment and other expenses. Do your research, ask friends where they shop and compare prices. You will be surprised at the great bargains you are currently missing out on.

4. Have a project or reason tied to your saving

When you save, have a particular project that you are saving towards. It might be investing in stocks, buying a car, getting a better apartment, starting a professional course or seed money for a small business. It’s your money so it’s your choice.

If you do not have a goal to your saving, there is huge tendency you will spend the lot on petty activities that you might later regret.

Source.

http://insidify.com/discovery/four-ways-to-get-the-best-of-your-salary?utm_source=Salary+to+Dele+2&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Salary+to+Dele+2
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by CrazyMan(m): 3:35pm On Jul 31, 2015
Eneze1:

Very true. That's why you have to choose those your friends carefully, most especially when you fall in the category of the working class.

Some friends feel that the moment you get employed, its your responsibility to cater for their financial needs as well..."My advise" flee from such lazy friends, and surround yourself with hard-working people.

Secondly, you should limit the way you render financial assistance to your family. If you're still single, then your mum, dad, brothers and sisters are your priority; every other family member should be treated as frivolity. In that way you'll be able to limit the way you spend on family members.

Finally, the economy is so bad, in fact these days employee's are sitting on the edges of their seats, no one know whose going to be kicked out next, so as an intelligent person, you've got to make do with the little you have. So if things go south, you'll always have something to fall back to no matter how small.

3 Likes

Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jul 31, 2015
When you stop chasing the wrong things,you give the right things a chance to catch you....
Chongaiman:

Guy, fear God! A savings of 1.5m would leave a balance of 120k for all other expenses in the same year (or 10k per month). Why live by the Niger and wash your hands with spittle?
Re: Four Ways To Get The Best Of Your Salary. by Gab27: 3:39pm On Jul 31, 2015
Do your research, ask friends where they shop and compare prices. "First grade AKUBEEE" is the ANSWER.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unemployment Fear Grows As More Nigerians Lose Jobs / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? / My Experience Visiting A Bank For Loan As An Entrepreneur

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.