Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,758 members, 7,809,923 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 PM

7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing (25639 Views)

Minimum Wage: How Much Was Added To Your Salary In December 2019? / Your Salary Is Not Enough If You Experience These Signs / Don’t Take Risks Without Knowing These (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by zazawaga(m): 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2017
Saving money in today’s economy can sometimes feel impossible. It’s weird how even when you earn an okay amount, it’s seems as though you don’t have enough at the end of the month? Taking a good look at our spending habits and recognizing how we use our money can go towards re-evaluating and cultivating a life where we only spend what’s necessary.

1. You justify buying the cheap stuff

We think we’re saving money if we opt for the cheaper options but in truth, quality lasts longer. Looking at more expensive options as an investment rather than an unnecessary expense is a better mindset to have but we seldom think like this because in the moment more expensive equals more money.

Spending money on items that last rather than cheap ones that need replacing more often will save you money in the long run.

2. You justify buying items on sale

We’re led to believe that buying stuff on sale is saving money. If you’re in a supermarket and what you intend to buy is on sale, then great. But we can get caught up thinking we’re getting a bargain when really we’d never have bought that item in the first place were it not on sale! So curb unnecessary purchases – don’t get sucked in to the sale items and justify buying them because you believe you’re saving money – you’re not.

3. Your savings account is too easy to access

It’s so easy these days to with internet banking, to have easy access to our savings. While your good intentions are slowly piling up in your savings account, if it’s easy to get to, you can sometimes delve into it if you feel you’re down on your money.

So find savings accounts that aren’t so accessible and can’t be linked to your current account. This will help you think twice about transferring that money if it’s not so easy to do.

4. You don’t wait 30 days before big purchases

This is a good trick if you’re more of an impulse buyer. Impulse buying can drain our money extremely quickly and we can be very good at justifying why we need an item. If it’s a big purchase then do this 30 day rule before going ahead with it. You’ll be surprised at how much your mind can change in this period and often you’ll realize you probably don’t need to buy it or, even better, find a cheaper alternative in the meantime.

5. Don’t write lists of what you need before shopping (and stick to It)

This is similar to the impulse buying but more so when we’re food shopping. When you’re hungry, you will buy around 20% more food than if you went on a full stomach. Being purposefully mindful before you leave the house by making strict lists of what you need, will cut down more spending than you realize. Research recipes in advance and stick to only what you’ve written down. If it’s not on the list, it doesn’t make the cut!

6. You waste time finding cheap deals

The emphasis here is on time. We spend so much of our time researching in order to find the best deals and often in these moments the best deals actually pass us by or sell out. Think of time as money too – overthinking and overanalyzing can waste you money despite thinking that you’re ultimately saving it.

7. You don’t carve out time to declutter your house

Decluttering your living space is one of the best things you can do to save money. Not only because you can sell many of your old items and actually make money, but also it transforms the space in your mind as well. Once you realize that you don’t need so many possessions to make you happy, it will shift your mindset and make you more aware of unnecessary spending in the future.

Cultivating this mindset is what will save you the most money in the long-term and help you to re-evaluate what’s important to you. So adopt the mindfulness of spending your money to create a better way of saving it.

Follow on social media twitter: @insidifyhq Facebook: Insidify.com
for more article go to
https://discovery.insidify.com/8-ways-youre-wasting-your-hard-earned-salary-without-even-knowing-it

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by zazawaga(m): 4:59pm On Jun 05, 2017
Read more Career articles on www.discovery.insidify.com
Thank me later
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by TINALETC3(f): 7:33am On Jun 06, 2017
Op nawaa 4 u oooo, must u b d ftc angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by hotspice29(m): 7:33am On Jun 06, 2017
What happened…..i just woke up and found myself in zis room

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by worlexy(m): 7:34am On Jun 06, 2017
I concur.
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by UgoFly: 7:34am On Jun 06, 2017
8. You stay in a country where there is recession and the price of locally made garri has been affected by dollar.

9. You have more than one girlfriend or you are married and still keep side chick.

10. You go to one of those churches that sells God's blessings. Sorry is your name.

11. You have some ppl always calling you 'chairman '

12. Stay tuned

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by ednut1(m): 7:35am On Jun 06, 2017
Make una dey copy oyinbo posts upandan. Some pple dey use salary dey compete with others who no send dem. just like broke dammy krane wan dey compete with rich man pikin davido cheesy
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Nobody: 7:35am On Jun 06, 2017
hmm
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by FellepHq(m): 7:36am On Jun 06, 2017
Great list.
No saving culture is a big money waster, because you spend your salary before you even earn it
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 06, 2017
A fine topic OP. I found it useful and educative. Keep on bringing these kinds of topics.

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Mutuwa(m): 7:38am On Jun 06, 2017
Buying/taking things in advance before the next payment date (especially women)
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by miketayo(m): 7:38am On Jun 06, 2017
Feeling sleepy
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by bosteps: 7:38am On Jun 06, 2017
This made front page already?!
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by MrAmbition(m): 7:38am On Jun 06, 2017
Buth no matter how I try, NYSC money no de ever reach me one month, 19800 for a whole month! wheuwp! can't even save a cent.

1 Like

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by jericco1(m): 7:40am On Jun 06, 2017
In other words?
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 06, 2017
Jack3771:
To subscribe kindly view the image below for more details about our games call or Whatsapp me on this number below the image u see

OK...but before I do...you must stake N20 million playing by your odds....and post the alert of your winnings...so that we can believe.

You should also convince your father and mother and uncles to subscribe as well.

Or you admit that it is cock and bull things you are promoting, give your life to Jesus...and get a proper job.
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by onoms4luv(m): 7:40am On Jun 06, 2017
@op even though we follow your advice, salary is not still enough to solve all our financial problems... always have alternative source of income, so you can eat what you desire.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by gidi365: 7:41am On Jun 06, 2017

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by smartty68(m): 7:48am On Jun 06, 2017
Nice points though, but salary ain't enough talkless savings, always have a backup plan
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by centboy123456(m): 7:56am On Jun 06, 2017
aaa
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by dorox(m): 7:58am On Jun 06, 2017
You can also save ten percent of your income by not wasting it on tithe.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Youdondeymad: 7:59am On Jun 06, 2017
UgoFly:
8. You stay in a country where there is recession and the price of locally made garri has been affected by dollar.

9. You have more than one girlfriend or you are married and still keep side chick.

10. You go to one of those churches that sells God's blessings. Sorry is your name.

11. You have some ppl always calling you 'chairman '

12. Stay tuned
grin You've said it all,a million likes for this post.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by holyboss: 7:59am On Jun 06, 2017
That no 3 tho. It makes miss the old days where you can tell bae your atm got damaged so no outing this weekend.

Now babe will be like, transfer it to my account right now. I have my ATM here we can use that for withdrawal undecided
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by divinelove(m): 8:02am On Jun 06, 2017
Yawns
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by bodejohn(m): 8:08am On Jun 06, 2017
zazawaga:

7. You don’t carve out time to declutter your house

Decluttering your living space is one of the best things you can do to save money. Not only because you can sell many of your old items and actually make money, but also it transforms the space in your mind as well. Once you realize that you don’t need so many possessions to make you happy, it will shift your mindset and make you more aware of unnecessary spending in the future.

Cultivating this mindset is what will save you the most money in the long-term and help you to re-evaluate what’s important to you. So adopt the mindfulness of spending your money to create a better way of saving it.

This point is precious...I remember clearing out my unneeded stuffs a few months back and the funds i got was more than enough to upgrade my wife's poultry.
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 06, 2017
Good thing you didn't mention drink. I don't know how I would survive.
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Rasheedinho3(m): 9:21am On Jun 06, 2017
Lemme get employed first...

Please who's ready to help an Economics unemployed graduate with a job here?
Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 06, 2017
how can you forget guys that do baba ijebu or abi merry/naija bet. I do pity them. wasting your hard earned money on gambling and someone else is using the cash to solve his family problems. don't you think you can get enough food stocks in your kitchen with those cash? or better still, be saving that money and see how much you can save in a year.

open a new savings account, anytime you feel like to gamble, just go to that account and drop that cash and forget it. I promise you that you will be surprised the kind of amount you will see in that account at the end of the year.

A word is enough for the wise.

4 Likes

Re: 7 Ways You Waste Your Salary Without Knowing by Nobody: 9:30am On Jun 06, 2017
TINALETC3:
Op nawaa 4 u oooo, must u b d ftc angry angry angry

Pls no offense.. Wats very special with the first to comment? I see a lot of people get excited anytime they comment b4 anybody on a post. Am just curious.. No offense pls.. Just want to know if am missing out on any special bonus smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things Bosses Say When They Fire People. / 8 Solid Advantages Of Marrying An Accountant / 9 Things Successful Women Never Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.