Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,442 members, 7,830,210 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

The Story Of Crucifixion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Story Of Crucifixion (511 Views)

Catholics Stage The Crucifixion Of Jesus At Ojo Alaba, Lagos (Photos) / Catholic Church Staging The Crucifixion Of Jesus At The University Of Uyo (Pics) / Truth About Crucifixion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Story Of Crucifixion by mustymatic(m): 11:17pm On Jul 31, 2015
Here we shall discuss some of the contradictions in the crucifixion story between the Gospels. When there is a trial in a court, to accept what the witnesses say, there must be no variation between what they are saying, but if there was a wide variation between what the witnesses say, we reject both narrations since there is no proof to overwhelm a witness over another, these variations between the writers of the Gospels prove that they didn’t witness what happened, these were stories present at their time, and everyone wrote what he heard, and these variations are a proof that the story of crucifixion in the Bible can’t be accepted.

Betrayal by Judas and Seizing Jesus:

Gospel Matthew says:

Mat 26:47 And while he yet spake, lo, Judas, one of the twelve, came, and with him a great multitude with swords and staves, from the chief priest and elders of the people. Mat 26:48 Now he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that is he: take him. Mat 26:49 And straightway he came to Jesus, and said, Hail, Rabbi; and kissed him. Mat 26:50 And Jesus said unto him, Friend, do that for which thou art come. Then they came and laid hands on Jesus, and took him. Mat 26:51 And behold, one of them that were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and smote the servant of the high priest, and struck off his ear.
While Gospel John says:

Joh 18:3 Judas then, having received the band of soldiers, and officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons. Joh 18:4 Jesus therefore, knowing all the things that were coming upon him, went forth, and saith unto them, Whom seek ye? Joh 18:5 They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, who betrayed him, was standing with them. Joh 18:6 When therefore he said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground. Joh 18:7 Again therefore he asked them, Whom seek ye? And they said, Jesus of Nazareth. Joh 18:8 Jesus answered, I told you that I am he; if therefore ye seek me, let these go their way: Joh 18:9 that the word might be fulfilled which he spake, Of those whom thou hast given me I lost not one. Joh 18:10 Simon Peter therefore having a sword drew it, and struck the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear. Now the servant’s name was Malchus. Joh 18:11 Jesus therefore said unto Peter, Put up the sword into the sheath: the cup which the Father hath given me, shall I not drink it? Joh 18:12 So the band and the chief captain, and the officers of the Jews, seized Jesus and bound him,
We can see that there is a large difference between the two stories, in Matthew, it says that once Judas came, he went and kissed Jesus, while in John, it says that Jesus asked them”whom you seek?”, and they answered him: “Jesus”, and when he said ” I am he”, all this happened and Judas was only standing with them, and it couldn’t have happened that kissing him was in between because the script in Matthew is very clear that Judas went straightway to kiss Jesus. And it’s clear in Matthew that the sign to know Jesus was the kiss, while in John, Jesus identified himself, and only what Judas did is that he guided them, and where is the event that they fell when they heard Jesus saying “I am he”? Where did Matthew tell that? Another difference between the two stories is that in Matthew, Peter cut the high priest’s servant’s ear after they seized Jesus, while in John, Peter did that before they seize him.
Re: The Story Of Crucifixion by mustymatic(m): 11:27pm On Jul 31, 2015
Peter Denying him

Mat 26:69 Now Peter was sitting without in the court: and a maid came unto him, saying, Thou also wast with Jesus the Galilaean. Mat 26:70 But he denied before them all, saying, I know not what thou sayest. Mat 26:71 And when he was gone out into the porch, another maid saw him, and saith unto them that were there, This man also was with Jesus of Nazareth. Mat 26:72 And again he denied with an oath, I know not the man. Mat 26:73 And after a little while they that stood by came and said to Peter, Of a truth thou also art one of them; for thy speech maketh thee known. Mat 26:74 Then began he to curse and to swear, I know not the man. And straightway the cock crew. Mat 26:75 And Peter remembered the word which Jesus had said, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

Mar 14:66 And as Peter was beneath in the court, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest; Mar 14:67 and seeing Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and saith, Thou also wast with the Nazarene, even Jesus. Mar 14:68 But he denied, saying, I neither know, nor understand what thou sayest: and he went out into the porch; and the cock crew. Mar 14:69 And the maid saw him, and began again to say to them that stood by, This is one of them. Mar 14:70 But he again denied it. And after a little while again they that stood by said to Peter, of a truth thou art one of them; for thou art a Galilaean. Mar 14:71 But he began to curse, and to swear, I know not this man of whom ye speak. Mar 14:72 And straightway the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word, how that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

We can here see some differences between the 2 Gospels, in Matthew, it tells that Jesus told Peter that he will deny him 3 times after the cock crows, while in Mark, it tells that Jesus told Peter that the cock will crow twice before Peter denies him thrice, and there is no place that Jesus tells both statements since the situation happened quickly (See Matthew 26:31-35, Mark 14:27-31), and in Luke, the statement was much clearer that the cock will not crow before Peter denies him thrice(Luke 22:34 and Matthew 26:34), unlike Mark which tells that the cock crew before he denies him thrice (Mark 14:68). Also in Matthew it says that a maid and then another maid asked him, while in Mark, it says that the same maid asked him twice.

The hour of crucifixion:

Mar 15:25 And it was the third hour, and they crucified him.

Joh 19:14 Now it was the Preparation of the passover: it was about the sixth hour. And he saith unto the Jews, Behold, your King!

So according to Mark, he was crucified at the third hour, while according to John, he was still at the Pilate at the sixth hour, the Christian commentators answer this by telling that what is told in Mark is in Jewish time at 9 am, while in case of John, this was by Roman time at six am, and so crucifixion was also at 9 am, but there are some problems with that conclusion, the first problem is that it is supposed that the writer of John according to Christians is the disciple John, who is Jewish, so it is not logical that he uses the Roman timing, especially that he was talking about the preparation of the Passover, and what is the need that the Holy Spirit reveals to Mark in Hebrew timing and to John in Roman timing? Besides, it is really a difficult possibility, otherwise how could it be that denying of Peter, the trial, then crucifixion happened only in 3 hours?
Re: The Story Of Crucifixion by OsoDupe(f): 11:51pm On Jul 31, 2015
So what exactly is the problem now, is it that Judas didn't betray Jesus or Paul didn't deny Him or Jesus was not crucified at all. Well the summary of all is regardless of the interpretation of each passage Jesus was betrayed by Judas, denied by Peter and was crucifed.

1 Like

Re: The Story Of Crucifixion by jomoh: 11:58pm On Jul 31, 2015
Wrong turn thread again.

But guy hope no problem with all this anti bible thread tonight.

Walking out of thread.
Re: The Story Of Crucifixion by adebayo201: 12:27am On Aug 01, 2015
So what exactly is the problem now, is it that Judas didn't betray Jesus or Peter didn't deny Him or Jesus was not crucified at all. Well the summary of all is regardless of the interpretation of each passage Jesus was betrayed by Judas, denied by Peter and was crucifed.

Thanks for this... they won't listen but we won't stop telling them forget the how but why... forget the where but what...forget the who's but whose is... forget the use of English but the meaning of it

Shalom
Re: The Story Of Crucifixion by shevi4mb(m): 12:45am On Aug 01, 2015
OP, pls stop wasting ur tym enlightening 'em....they will never accept..and it is written, even if the heaven is opened for'em to see, they'l stil nt blieve..so, leave 'em alone, let them wallow in their own hallucination.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Commandments For Single Ladies / This Fake Christians / NL: What's The Importance Of Culture' & 'tradition', To A Modern Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.