Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,213 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. (4110 Views)

Emefiele Proposes A Tax On Phone Calls Longer Than 3 Minutes / What Is The Best Game You've Played On Phone? / Nigeria Signs Currency Pact With China And It's Effect On Phone Imports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by ignis: 7:23am On Aug 03, 2015
Too long
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by UchihaItachi(m): 7:24am On Aug 03, 2015
Caracta:
Who asked you guys what you say first?

The article is just explaining how "hello" came into use. Not what you say to your lovers and friends.

Is reading so difficult?

Moshi moshi...it wasn't posted here for people to read and admire and leave, they're actually supposed to comment...
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by Craven: 7:49am On Aug 03, 2015
ewizard1:
Its the OFFICIAL way to greet someone irrespective of the time of the day.
My guy above that use 'sup'... can you say that to your boss? I guess no!

Okay. This is silly, in a way. Sorry. It's just not that serious the way you put it.

Nothing makes 'hello' official. Nothing.

Would it be 'official' to see your President and greet him 'hello'? Or would you see your boss in person and greet him 'hello'? Would you start an 'official letter' with 'hello'?

The word in itself is not 'official'. It could mean anything in different situations. Starting a phone conversation with 'hello' does not mean you are trying to be official. Saying 'hello' over the phone is pretty much the same as saying 'ouch' when you cut yourself. Saying 'hello' over the phone has become more like an exclamation than a greeting.

There are other words that can be used to address an important person over a phone other than 'hello'. I'll give you an example.

Your boss calls you and the first words you use can be 'Good morning, sir' or 'Good day, sir'. That's even more official than any.

I have called several companies and the first thing I usually hear is 'Good morning. You have reached - How may I help you?' Doesn't this sound official enough?

Stop putting so much importance on something so mundane.
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by ewizard1: 8:52am On Aug 03, 2015
Craven:

Okay. This is silly, in a way. Sorry. It's just not that serious the way you put it.

Nothing makes 'hello' official. Nothing.

Would it be 'official' to see your President and greet him 'hello'? Or would you see your boss in person and greet him 'hello'? Would you start an 'official letter' with 'hello'?

The word in itself is not 'official'. It could mean anything in different situations. Starting a phone conversation with 'hello' does not mean you are trying to be official. Saying 'hello' over the phone is pretty much the same as saying 'ouch' when you cut yourself. Saying 'hello' over the phone has become more like an exclamation than a greeting.

There are other words that can be used to address an important person over a phone other than 'hello'. I'll give you an example.

Your boss calls you and the first words you use can be 'Good morning, sir' or 'Good day, sir'. That's even more official than any.

I have called several companies and the first thing I usually hear is 'Good morning. You have reached - How may I help you?' Doesn't this sound official enough?

Stop putting so much importance on something so mundane.
Oga relax joor...

I can tell anyone Hello. And i repeat, its the official way to greet or present yourself to someone.

Yes & Yes, i can see my Boss in person and tell him hello.

Can you tell your Boss sup? Can you?

Hello is used to get attention which is more like greeting someone.
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by Craven: 9:33am On Aug 03, 2015
ewizard1:

Oga relax joor...

I can tell anyone Hello. And i repeat, its the official way to greet or present yourself to someone.

Yes & Yes, i can see my Boss in person and tell him hello.

Can you tell your Boss sup? Can you?

Hello is used to get attention which is more like greeting someone.

I never said anything about 'sup'. I never even made any reference to it. I don't understand what it even has to do with my post or why you're bringing it up. The aim of my post was to explain the usage of 'hello'. And I did.

"Hello" is not a serious word. I made that clear and I gave examples where other ways of greeting are used in place of it. The word "hello" is sometimes used informally and as an exclamation. And over the phone, it is a "standard" form of beginning a conversation. This does not make it "official". If you check the meaning of "official" you'll see "of or relating to an office" and "verified officially". Therefore, your sentence, "hello is official," is extremely funny.

You can tell anyone "hello", I actually agree. But nothing makes "hello" more important than any other formal form of greeting. It is a common form of greeting, but it's not "official". It is common knowledge that uttering "good morning, sir" or "good day, sir" when you're meeting someone sounds prim and proper. In fact, what sometimes determines the formality of a greeting is not the word used (either hello or good morning or good day), but how you are addressing the person you are greeting. For example, which do you think sounds more formal?

- Hello/good morning Tunde.
- Hello/good morning Mr. Tunde.

That aside, you refused to answer my question. If the word "hello" is so "official", why isn't it used in an official/formal letter?

The topic above had less to do with informal or formal greetings and more to do with saying "hello" over the phone. And since there are more ways to begin a conversation (formal or informal) other than saying "hello", your stance that "hello is official" is hugely wrong. My point, really.
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by blaquemyc: 11:46am On Aug 03, 2015
too long to Read
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by lawrenceunaa: 3:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
I use hello to test communication strenght. since our network provide are not trust worthy:network strenght wise, I can't waste money when the receiver isn't hearing what I'm saying.

Me:hello
U:#silent
Me:hello! Hello!
Me:cut the line
Re: Why "HELLO" Is The First Conversation On Phone. by Pierocash(m): 6:59pm On Aug 03, 2015
d

(1) (2) (Reply)

Some App On My Camon C9 Cannot Connect To Internet / How Transsion Holdings Are Cheating And Lying To Nigerians / Twitter CEO Shades Facebook Over New Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.