Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:28 PM

On The Need For Love And Concern For Nation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On The Need For Love And Concern For Nation (795 Views)

Soludo To APC: Stop Blaming PDP For Nation’s Woes / U.S. Statement Of Concern On Niger Delta Violence / Picture: Igbo Family Show Their Support And Concern On Zakzaky. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On The Need For Love And Concern For Nation by Mogten(m): 7:39pm On Aug 02, 2015
While growing up, I had friends from across divides (not that there ever was a divide then). We prided ourselves how much Nigerian languages one could speak and the places of worship been to, among others. Whoever does these so well is seen as a hero. I have on many occasions been to the mosque and Catholic churches despite being a protestant. As did my friends, then I could speak a little bit of Igbo, Yoruba, idoma, Hausa, Tiv, just to mention a few.

Things were so good we never thought of ourselves as being different from each other. The typical mindset of innocent kids with good intentions. Being Army kids, our believe was that there was no greater good than patriotism, and that there was no greater sacrifice than one done for the good of the Nation.

Fast-forward years after, the perception has changed, as has the reality. We've gone from being a loving nation to a hateful one, from generosity to greed and from selflessness to selfishness. How are my people travelling backwards. My friends and I had imagined better, but then we were just being kids, what did we know? Well, we know love and concern for one another.

Well, I blame it in part on our parents and squarely on our leaders.

Why?

Reason: Tabula rasa is why I blame it on both parties.

We were born with a blank mind, whatever habits or traits we grow to acquire must have been taught us by someone. We don't of our own making, grow to become good or evil. As the first point of civilization, the family, headed by the parents are responsible for interpreting the world to us... as such, our perception of the world is drawn from whatever it is they teach us.

Our leaders' Greed, treacherousness and desire to accumulate wealth only is what has brought us to this pitiful state.

Soldiers used to be gallant and patriotic until their well being and safety were considered secondary by the top ranking officers who feed fat on their allowances and treat them like some piece of shit. Officers used to be the vanguard until connection was required to get into the academy.

Boko Haram weren't heard of until someone served them a fodder.

Biafra wasn't a struggle until jungle justice was done a certain people.

Abdullahi wouldn't be vindictive had he not been wronged.

Today, the MASSOB, AFENIFERE, ACF and a host of other groups are springing up all claiming to be freedom fighters.

Truth is, they are not any different from the government and are bent on preying on the innocence of the unsuspecting masses to fatten their bellies and bank accounts.

Let's not allow these people to use our mouths to eat onions.
They spread hate and lies and don't represent the desires and aspirations of the people they claim to speak for in any way.

It doesn't cost a thing to love each other in love and embrace.

Before you hate on somebody, first remember that whatever the reason you hate the person for, he could be doing so because he wasn't taught otherwise. Bola wouldn't know English if he were taught only Yoruba. We grow to become, no one is born good or bad.

May we all find a reason to love today and see what difference it makes in our lives and nation.

PS:
This may seem haphazard cos I'm typing from a mobile and not a great writer. Thanks for reading the piece.
Re: On The Need For Love And Concern For Nation by sim37(m): 7:41pm On Aug 02, 2015
h
Re: On The Need For Love And Concern For Nation by mikolo80: 3:35am On Aug 03, 2015
Mogten:
While growing up, I had friends from across divides (not that there ever was a divide then). We prided ourselves how much Nigerian languages one could speak and the places of worship been to, among others. Whoever does these so well is seen as a hero. I have on many occasions been to the mosque and Catholic churches despite being a protestant. As did my friends, then I could speak a little bit of Igbo, Yoruba, idoma, Hausa, Tiv, just to mention a few.

Things were so good we never thought of ourselves as being different from each other. The typical mindset of innocent kids with good intentions. Being Army kids, our believe was that there was no greater good than patriotism, and that there was no greater sacrifice than one done for the good of the Nation.

[b]
there still isn't
[\b]
Fast-forward years after, the perception has changed, as has the reality. We've gone from being a loving nation to a hateful one, from generosity to greed and from selflessness to selfishness. How are my people travelling backwards. My friends and I had imagined better, but then we were just being kids, what did we know? Well, we know love and concern for one another.

Well, I blame it in part on our parents and squarely on our leaders.

Why?

Reason: Tabula rasa is why I blame it on both parties.

We were born with a blank mind, whatever habits or traits we grow to acquire must have been taught us by someone. We don't of our own making, grow to become good or evil. As the first point of civilization, the family, headed by the parents are responsible for interpreting the world to us... as such, our perception of the world is drawn from whatever it is they teach us.

Our leaders' Greed, treacherousness and desire to accumulate wealth only is what has brought us to this pitiful state.

Soldiers used to be gallant and patriotic until their well being and safety were considered secondary by the top ranking officers who feed fat on their allowances and treat them like some piece of shit. Officers used to be the vanguard until connection was required to get into the academy.

Boko Haram weren't heard of until someone served them a fodder.

Biafra wasn't a struggle until jungle justice was done a certain people.

Abdullahi wouldn't be vindictive had he not been wronged.

Today, the MASSOB, AFENIFERE, ACF and a host of other groups are springing up all claiming to be freedom fighters.

Truth is, they are not any different from the government and are bent on preying on the innocence of the unsuspecting masses to fatten their bellies and bank accounts.

that's life
survival of the fittest
I know
it sucks

Let's not allow these people to use our mouths to eat onions.
They spread hate and lies and don't represent the desires and aspirations of the people they claim to speak for in any way.

It doesn't cost a thing to love each other in love and embrace.

yes it does
it costs some serious self improvement
nothing is free in life

Before you hate on somebody, first remember that whatever the reason you hate the person for, he could be doing so because he wasn't taught otherwise. Bola wouldn't know English if he were taught only Yoruba. We grow to become, no one is born good or bad.

May we all find a reason to love today and see what difference it makes in our lives and nation.

PS:
This may seem haphazard cos I'm typing from a mobile and not a great writer. Thanks for reading the piece.

(1) (Reply)

NDLEA Nabs Drug Dealer Who Sells Wraps Of Cocaine, Heroin For N100 In Abia / Former Abia State Governor Enters Race For FIFA Presidency / DSS Confirms The Presence Of Boko Haram In Lagos, Enugu And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.