Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

Why Atheists Care About Your Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Atheists Care About Your Religion (1138 Views)

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / Why Atheists Can't Convince Staunch Christians/muslims (real Reason) / The Reason Why Atheists Dont/cant Convince Staunch Christians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by mantraa: 8:48pm On Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1ImMtHrrKo&feature=channel_page

Gotta love this girls passion. This is the new 'Obama generation'. grin
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by manmustwac(m): 11:27am On Mar 19, 2009
mantraa are you an athiest?
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by manmustwac(m): 12:55pm On Mar 19, 2009
''Religion robs children of free thinking it cages thier mind with indoctrination before they can even get a chance'' That was the best statement in the video. All nigerian athiests should watch it wink
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by mantraa: 1:12pm On Mar 19, 2009
"We are all born Atheists.
Some people are unknowingly and forcibly converted to theism.
Later, some of us find the strength to de-convert."

This time last year i used to be a tithe paying Christian. Now thanks to many of the posters on this board such as Huxley, yourself and others I can see things more clearly now. The process of deconverting is a slow and painful one due to the years of brainwashing from a very early age. I started questioning my beliefs a few years ago and can now see the role that religion has played in the evolution of our species over the last 10000 years and it is all starting to make a lot more sense to include all faiths in this phenomenon that is religion.
Millions of people love their God/s more than they love themselves, their own family, or humanity itself. This is mass delusion on enormous scale with each faith living in their own little perfect bubble thinking that if everyone shared their belief the world would be a better place.
If you are honest you will Know this is never going to happen. We all need to wake up and start thinking rationally. This world is a for all people.

Watch this same girls moving story of her de-conversion from out of the Mormon church

A "Deconversion". part1 - Driving guilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QByBuY1Bfns&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=0

A "Deconversion": Part II, The Evolution of Thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fap3y2T1p1E&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=1

A "Deconversion": Part III, Sexism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4SKhHwapFc&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=2

A "Deconversion": Part IV, A Child's Testimony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3Y9qGOHLU&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=3

respects

1 Like

Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by manmustwac(m): 9:42pm On Mar 19, 2009
Thanx i watched all the videos i really like part two where she compares her Mormon teaching to being taught Evolution in her school. In Nigeria no school teaches Evolution because it goes against their Christian beliefs. Some people don't even know what the word evolution means or what a dinosaur is.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by PastorAIO: 9:46pm On Mar 19, 2009
manmustwac:

Thanx i watched all the videos i really like part two where she compares her Mormon teaching to being taught Evolution in her school. In Nigeria no school teaches Evolution because it goes against their Christian beliefs. Some people don't even know what the word evolution means or what a dinosaur is.

For some a dinosaur is a big alsatian dog!!
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by huxley(m): 9:41pm On Mar 20, 2009
mantraa:

"We are all born Atheists.
Some people are unknowingly and forcibly converted to theism.
Later, some of us find the strength to de-convert."

This time last year i used to be a tithe paying Christian. Now thanks to many of the posters on this board such as Huxley, yourself and others I can see things more clearly now. The process of deconverting is a slow and painful one due to the years of brainwashing from a very early age. I started questioning my beliefs a few years ago and can now see the role that religion has played in the evolution of our species over the last 10000 years and it is all starting to make a lot more sense to include all faiths in this phenomenon that is religion.
Millions of people love their God/s more than they love themselves, their own family, or humanity itself. This is mass delusion on enormous scale with each faith living in their own little perfect bubble thinking that if everyone shared their belief the world would be a better place.
If you are honest you will Know this is never going to happen. We all need to wake up and start thinking rationally. This world is a for all people.

Watch this same girls moving story of her de-conversion from out of the Mormon church

A "Deconversion". part1 - Driving guilt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QByBuY1Bfns&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=0

A "Deconversion": Part II, The Evolution of Thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fap3y2T1p1E&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=1

A "Deconversion": Part III, Sexism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4SKhHwapFc&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=2

A "Deconversion": Part IV, A Child's Testimony

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw3Y9qGOHLU&feature=PlayList&p=DE52DFBD1992B2A9&index=3

respects

Many thankx for this. Those videos were very instructive. Am also really touched to learn that my post have help you "see the light". That makes all my effort all the more worthwhile. Many thankz
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by Nobody: 9:54pm On Mar 20, 2009
mantraa:

Millions of people love their God/s more than they love themselves, their own family, or humanity itself. This is mass delusion on enormous scale

that is essentially the strongest message in christianity . . . loving God and others MORE than yourself. Secularism is the opposite - loving yourself MORE than others. That is the problem with the world today . . . the rich care only for themselves. Seflessness isnt mass delusion, it has been humanity's strongest virtue for millions of yrs. I'm not sure you really understand what you are saying.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by bawomolo(m): 11:17pm On Mar 20, 2009
Atheists don't exactly care, we are just forced as minorities to be on the defensive.

manmustwac:

In an era of the internet, self-education has become a reality. seek and find. Of course such information isn't readily available to many Nigeria.

davidlyan - what makes you think secular people can't be altruistic?
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by JeSoul(f): 11:40pm On Mar 20, 2009
bawomolo:

Atheists don't exactly care, we are just forced as minorities to be on the defensive.
    Honesty. It is a beautiful thing. Now I hope the 'others' can stop deluding themselves that they actually 'care'.

I don't think he meant they all can't be. I have met some wonderfully kind hearted but unfortunately non-believing people.
   However I'm willing to bet that majority of those strutting around on NL spewing hate towards all things religion on vicious junk threads are only exercising self-worship and self-deception, they have conned themselves into thinking they actually "care"
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by toneyb: 11:47pm On Mar 20, 2009
davidylan:

that is essentially the strongest message in christianity . . . loving God and others MORE than yourself. Secularism is the opposite - loving yourself MORE than others. That is the problem with the world today . . . the rich care only for themselves. Seflessness isnt mass delusion, it has been humanity's strongest virtue for millions of yrs. I'm not sure you really understand what you are saying.

Are you really sure that is what christianity teaches? Is slavery part of loving others more than you love yourself? The bible endorses slavery.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 21, 2009
toneyb:

Are you really sure that is what christianity teaches? Is slavery part of loving others more than you love yourself? The bible endorses slavery.

Isnt this where you people thrive best? Cant answer a single question on the science you worship, you'd rather buy space on bible-bashing threads.
Yes that is what christianity teaches . . . that is what Christ's death on the cross teaches, that is what Jesus wants each and everyone of us to be. The bible doesnt endorse slavery, it simply acknowledged the propensity for man to enslave his fellow man. The bible goes to great lengths to regulate how you may treat your slave:

1. A hebrew servant may only serve you for 6 yrs maximum - Ex 21:2
2. A man shall be punished if he inadvertently kills his servant - Ex 21:20
3. If a man wounds his servant, the servant shall go free - Ex 21:26-27

bawomolo:

I never said so. I merely said that the guiding principles of secularism typified by capitalist nations is every man for himself.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by manmustwac(m): 2:23pm On Mar 22, 2009
JeSoul:

Honesty. It is a beautiful thing. Now I hope the 'others' can stop deluding themselves that they actually 'care'.
   I don't think he meant they all can't be. I have met some wonderfully kind hearted but unfortunately non-believing people.
   However I'm willing to bet that majority of those strutting around on NL spewing hate towards all things religion on vicious junk threads are only exercising self-worship and self-deception, they have conned themselves into thinking they actually "care"

I never really used to bother my self about replying messages in the religious section until u came out with your topic called The problem with the atheist. Your topic made me realise the problem that religion was having in Nigeria {my country of origin} If your thinking that i don't care about religion your wrong because i do care. I care [/b]because Nigeria is probably the most religious country in the world and at the same time the most corrupt. [b]I care because because over a 100 million people go to church {or any other religious institution} every week they give 10% of their hard earned salary as tithes and in return all they get from thier pastors is false hope. I care because i always get phone calls from back home form my religious relatives and friends begging me to send them money for one thing or another. When i send them the doh they'll be thanking God for using me {the athiest} as an avenue to help them. I care because i also get calls from friends and relatives stressing me coz they want me to help them to leave that religious country and come to {England} this athiest country because nothing dey happen for that religious country. So my dear JeSoul religion affects me financially so just like the girl in the video I care
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by JeSoul(f): 2:57am On Mar 23, 2009
manmustwac:

I never really used to bother my self about replying messages in the religious section until u came out with your topic called The problem with the atheist. Your topic made me realise the problem that religion was having in Nigeria {my country of origin} If your thinking that i don't care about religion your wrong because i do care. I care [/b]because Nigeria is probably the most religious country in the world and at the same time the most corrupt. [b]I care because because over a 100 million people go to church {or any other religious institution} every week they give 10% of their hard earned salary as tithes and in return all they get from thier pastors is false hope. I care because i always get phone calls from back home form my religious relatives and friends begging me to send them money for one thing or another. When i send them the doh they'll be thanking God for using me {the athiest} as an avenue to help them. I care because i also get calls from friends and relatives stressing me coz they want me to help them to leave that religious country and come to {England} this athiest country because nothing dey happen for that religious country. So my dear JeSoul religion affects me financially so just like the girl in the video I care

My brotha you may be suprised to know that a lot of biblical christians share a lot of the sentiments you expressed above. We do care along with you that 'religion' in Naija is for the most part negatively affecting the nation. We do care just as much as you do.

The thing is most atheists throw a blanket and condemn all things christian. So much good, so much work and charity is done by true christians practicing true religion all around the world. But most atheists turn a blind eye to that and instead focus solely on the famous pastors aka wolves in sheeps clothing saying "this is what christianity is". This to me is an intellectually dishonest position, they are obviously mostly emotionally driven and it immediately takes away any credibility from the atheist.

These atheists chanting "death to religion", how many people have they themselves clothed? fed? helped? housed? for these people they supposedly 'care' so much about? I'm not saying they shouldn't condemn wrongdoing when they see it, but the way most of them go about it here on these boards shows their motive is not anything close to compassion or care, but moreso a public show of their unhealthy obsession and hatred for religion.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by huxley(m): 2:03pm On Mar 23, 2009
JeSoul:

My brotha you may be suprised to know that a lot of biblical christians share a lot of the sentiments you expressed above. We do care along with you that 'religion' in Naija is for the most part negatively affecting the nation. We do care just as much as you do.

The thing is most atheists throw a blanket and condemn all things christian. So much good, so much work and charity is done by true christians practicing true religion all around the world. But most atheists turn a blind eye to that and instead focus solely on the famous pastors aka wolves in sheeps clothing saying "this is what christianity is". This to me is an intellectually dishonest position, they are obviously mostly emotionally driven and it immediately takes away any credibility from the atheist.

These atheists chanting "death to religion", how many people have they themselves clothed? fed? helped? housed? for these people they supposedly 'care' so much about? I'm not saying they shouldn't condemn wrongdoing when they see it, but the way most of them go about it here on these boards shows their motive is not anything close to compassion or care, but moreso a public show of their unhealthy obsession and hatred for religion.

For your information, atheists care first and foremost,  about the majors claims of religion such as;

1)  the existence of a supernatural realm and a god that inhabits that realm

2)  The nature of God and his attributes (otherwise known as the ontology of god)

This is essentially what atheism is suppose to adjudicate on - nothing else.   

Now, if you are making a claim fo the existence of an entity, the burden of proof is on you to provide evidence for that entity.  Atheists have no burden of proof on this subject.  Take the following little thought experiment as an example.

Do you believe in the existence of Sussicorn ?  By the way, you have every right to ask me about the ontology of Sussicorn.

If you don't, why don't you?   Think of all the other gods that humans have venerated in the past- Zues, Wotan, Appolo, Sango, Thor, etc, etc.  Why don't you believe in any of these gods today?  If you understand why you don't believe in these gods, you would understand why atheist don't believe in your god.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by PastorAIO: 2:25pm On Mar 23, 2009
huxley:

For your information, atheists care first and foremost,  about the majors claims of religion such as;

2)  The nature of God and his attributes (otherwise known as the ontology of god)

Now, if you are making a claim fo the existence of an entity, the burden of proof is on you to provide evidence for that entity.  Atheists have no burden of proof on this subject.  Take the following little thought experiment as an example.

Did you see this post, Huxley
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-247892.0.html#msg3607980
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by huxley(m): 2:28pm On Mar 23, 2009
Pastor AIO:

Did you see this post, Huxley
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-247892.0.html#msg3607980

Yes, I did. I was very bz at the time and could not respond then. But with the passage of time I soon forgot to respond. I shall do so today.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by JeSoul(f): 2:44pm On Mar 23, 2009
huxley:

Do you believe in the existence of Sussicorn ? By the way, you have every right to ask me about the ontology of Sussicorn.

If you don't, why don't you?   Think of all the other gods that humans have venerated in the past- Zues, Wotan, Appolo, Sango, Thor, etc, etc.  Why don't you believe in any of these gods today?  If you understand why you don't believe in these gods, you would understand why atheist don't believe in your god.
  *did not waste my time reading ^^*

Huxley I have 'known' you since the first day you started posting on NL and the only thing you've shown you care about is ridiculing, slandering, jeering, scoffing and mocking christians and christianity.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by huxley(m): 2:53pm On Mar 23, 2009
JeSoul:

*did not waste my time reading ^^*

Huxley I have 'known' you since the first day you started posting on NL and the only thing you've shown you care about is ridiculing, slandering, jeering, scoffing and mocking christians and christianity.

Why did you not address the issues I raise above? These are the issues at the heart of our (atheist) refusal to believe the claims of the religionists. You would gain more credibility of you had attempted to address these issues, but instead you decided to play the persecution-complex card. And then you cry foul when we despise and hold your belief in contempt!

To paraphrase the bible - it would have been better if you had kept your mouth (fingers) shut (unfolded).
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by JeSoul(f): 3:06pm On Mar 23, 2009
huxley:

Why did you not address the issues I raise above? These are the issues at the heart of our (atheist) refusal to believe the claims of the religionists. You would gain more credibility of you had attempted to address these issues, but instead you decided to play the persecution-complex card. And then you cry foul when we despise and hold your belief in contempt!

lol . . . persecution card? I will assume that to be an attempt at a joke. I will not 'address' those questions becos you raised them. I'm not worried about therationa tpaine Huxley and what he thinks of my 'credibility'.

If Bawo, Chris, Manmustwac or Mazaje open a thread and raise those questions and invite opinions from christians, I will be the first to jump on board. Becos I know you're not really intrested in discussion as your history here has shown . . . small wonder no one but AIO replies your threads. I've already said that the only thing you've shown you care about is ridiculing, slandering, jeering, scoffing and mocking christians and christianity.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by manmustwac(m): 10:17pm On Mar 24, 2009
JeSoul:

Jesoul you do not have to be religious to help the needy. A lot of people help raise money for charity not because the bible say this or the bible says that but because they genuinely want to help them. Unlike that very religious country called Nigeria where a pastor will buy $24:8 million on a plane while his congregation are struggling. And as far as am concerned religion is the main problem with Nigeria. The masses should forget about all these big prayer conventions at Easter time, gather together and march to Aso Rock cause a riot and demand change. I believe that would they would see a better result than if they just decided to pray.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by bawomolo(m): 12:32am On Mar 25, 2009

The problem with this quote there are many religion who make no references to a supreme God or the nature of this God.  Lots of religions are just basically a worship of ancestors or inanimate objects.  For instance, there is no God in Buddhism or in animists religions.  Some religions are basically deist in that the God is just a lazy mofo who did nothing but create the earth.  God isn't needed for religions to exist, Rituals and the group mentality is what makes religions possible.

the judeo-christian religions are a special case of course.
Re: Why Atheists Care About Your Religion by JeSoul(f): 2:14pm On Mar 25, 2009
manmustwac:

Jesoul you do not have to be religious to help the needy. A lot of people help raise money for charity not because the bible say this or the bible says that but because they genuinely want to help them.
   I agree 100% with the above.

And I will also add that a lot of people help raise money for charity not because the bible say this or the bible says that but because the love of God inside them drives them to express that love by helping others. I know that's what drives me.

Unlike that very religious country called Nigeria where a pastor will buy $24:8 million on a plane while his congregation are struggling. And as far as am concerned religion is the main problem with Nigeria.
   I share your disdain for those pastors, I wished they could all be wiped off the planet for good. Where I part ways with you is when you blanketize the problems in Nigeria as the fault of religion. Nigeria's problems are much more deeper and complex than just false prophets and blind followers.

The masses should forget about all these big prayer conventions at Easter time, gather together and march to Aso Rock cause a riot and demand change. I believe that would they would see a better result than if they just decided to pray.
  If I were in Nigeria I would be first in line for this demonstration  smiley.

I think I once said to you that the bible does not advocate prayer divorced from action - actually just the opposite! I pray to God to give me a good life and good health but I also go out and work hard and take care of my body. That attitude and approach is what the bible teaches . . . not the millions of zombies who stay home and in church praying from morning till night and folding their arms doing nothing to change the country or their situation.

(1) (Reply)

Is The Roman Catholic Church Polytheistic? / How Do You Know If Your Boss/friend/sibling Is An Occultic Person? / "Holy Spirit Led Me To Start This Church"- G.O Of Nigerian Gay Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.