Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic (8080 Views)

10 Things I Learnt About Cross River State During My Service Year / 24 Things I Learnt While In Nigeria / 10 Things I Learnt While Travelling Across America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 03, 2015
I have schooled and worked in Benin Republic for 5 years now so I have a ample knowledge of this country.

1)JADAMARINE- this is the french word for the army in Benin Republic.throughout your stay here you should not encounter this people as they can easily distinguish a nigerian from a beninou from 10 000 miles away.once you encounter such agents in army uniform make sure you have a international passport and id card.but I'll advise when you see them coming take another route but boldly.once.be warned they are fitted and trained. I took a street short cut and saw their vehicle and ran back the way I came from but they had seen me and chased me with their vehicle.but me don sabi corner corner well.i just passed routes they will be unable to take.

2)POLICE-they are also another element that can site a nigerian from 8 000 miles sha.well trained and between their early twenties and late twenties.they will collect all your money if you dont provide the necessary documents you are asked.the least amount a average beninou police man will obtain from you is 10 000cfa about 3500 naira.anything less you will see your self in their hilux jeep and off to central police station.several times I have been to the prison and saw so many igbo nigerians especially traders wasting there . Lord have mercy

3)ELECTRICITY- Benin republic can boast of constant light compared to their counter parts NIGERIA.its only at pekadix (a nigerian populated area in Benin Republic and festing with JADAMARINE)you can pause a movie and sleep overnight and wake up you will still meet your movie waiting to be played.i have paused my play station for four days (Wednesday till Saturday)

4)ELECTRICITY AND WATER BILLS-unlike nigerian where by we don't pay for water bills.here we pay heavily for every drop of water used.presently my landlady has cut my light because I asked for a personal light meter for we are sharing the light bills . conclusion is if you don't pay for light and water you can't use it.

5)ZAMGBETO this is a masquerade that goes round in the country mostly on Fridays . every body whether you are a indigene or foreigner should be indoors expecially the female folks.i once heard that if you peep to look at them as they pass in the dead of the night they have a diabolical means of knowing and immediately they will invoke their juju to your exact direction.once i peeped and them no even see me.but am not saying or suggesting you should try it.

6)FRIENDS-MIND the way you make friends with the indigenes as most are thieves and child of grand child of a powerful Oracle.its mostly the educated ones that are cool to hang with.i have so many many of them as friends but none knows my crib.

7)BORDERS-hello people you must have been hearing of borders.and I can confidently say that idiroko border (which is towards ogun state)is safe and and a bit okay than seme border which is so rough and full of pick pockets and hungry looking officials.on several occasions my friends fees has been stolen by immigrations officials

coolMONEY CHANGERS-THESE are nigerians in diaspora nightmares but also they serve as a link between Benin Republic and the outside world.they can also use diabolic means to take your hard earned money and give you fake currency

if you have lived in Benin Republic feel free and add yours

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by archangel101(m): 9:45am On Aug 03, 2015
Hw kum references are made to Nigeria
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by eluquenson(m): 9:45am On Aug 03, 2015
Lovely experience compared to our dear Nigeria.
I have never been to Benin Republic before
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 03, 2015
archangel101:
Hw kum references are made to Nigeria

because our darling president said Nigerians are better off in Benin Republic
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by kagari: 9:56am On Aug 03, 2015
hbpeze:
I have schooled and worked in Benin Republic for 5 years now so I have a ample knowledge of this country.

1)JADAMARINE- this is the french word for the army in Benin Republic.throughout your stay here you should not encounter this people as they can easily distinguish a nigerian from a beninou from 10 000 miles away.once you encounter such agents in army uniform make sure you have a international passport and id card.but I'll advise when you see them coming take another route but boldly.once.be warned they are fitted and trained. I took a street short cut and saw their vehicle and ran back the way I came from but they had seen me and chased me with their vehicle.but me don sabi corner corner well.i just passed routes they will be unable to take.

2)POLICE-they are also another element that can site a nigerian from 8 000 miles sha.well trained and between their early twenties and late twenties.they will collect all your money if you dont provide the necessary documents you are asked.the least amount a average beninou police man will obtain from you is 10 000cfa about 3500 naira.anything less you will see your self in their hilux jeep and off to central police station.several times I have been to the prison and saw so many igbo nigerians especially traders wasting there . Lord have mercy

3)ELECTRICITY- Benin republic can boast of constant light compared to their counter parts NIGERIA.its only at pekadix (a nigerian populated area in Benin Republic and festing with JADAMARINE)you can pause a movie and sleep overnight and wake up you will still meet your movie waiting to be played.i have paused my play station for four days (Wednesday till Saturday)

4)ELECTRICITY AND WATER BILLS-unlike nigerian where by we don't pay for water bills.here we pay heavily for every drop of water used.presently my landlady has cut my light because I asked for a personal light meter for we are sharing the light bills . conclusion is if you don't pay for light and water you can't use it.

5)ZAMGBETO this is a masquerade that goes round in the country mostly on Fridays . every body whether you are a indigene or foreigner should be indoors expecially the female folks.i once heard that if you peep to look at them as they pass in the dead of the night they have a diabolical means of knowing and immediately they will invoke their juju to your exact direction.once i peeped and them no even see me.but am not saying or suggesting you should try it.

6)FRIENDS-MIND the way you make friends with the indigenes as most are thieves and child of grand child of a powerful Oracle.its mostly the educated ones that are cool to hang with.i have so many many of them as friends but none knows my crib.

7)BORDERS-hello people you must have been hearing of borders.and I can confidently say that idiroko border (which is towards ogun state)is safe and and a bit okay than seme border which is so rough and full of pick pockets and hungry looking officials.on several occasions my friends fees has been stolen by immigrations officials

coolMONEY CHANGERS-THESE are nigerians in diaspora nightmares but also they serve as a link between Benin Republic and the outside world.they can also use diabolic means to take your hard earned money and give you fake currency

If you go to their clothe market, i have forgoten the name, just speak an igbo word, and you would think you are in onicha main market cause everyone would start speakin igbo to you

2 Likes

Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Teeboy22(m): 9:57am On Aug 03, 2015
wetn consign me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 03, 2015
kagari:

If you go to their clothe market, i have forgoten the name, just speak an igbo word, and you would think you are in onicha main market cause everyone would start speakin igbo to you

you are speaking of misebo market that is where traders get their clothes to sell in Nigeria and the market women go to topa market for their perishables
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:07am On Aug 03, 2015
Why would you run from Gerdame when you've don nothing wrong... I never had any problems with them.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by archangel101(m): 10:08am On Aug 03, 2015
hbpeze:

because our darling president said Nigerians are better off in Benin Republic

Really that's f'ed uo
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by jairusben(m): 10:20am On Aug 03, 2015
Mine coming soon... 10 things i learnt in mushin
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by mutumina75: 11:38am On Aug 03, 2015
hbpeze:

am sure u schooled in hnaub
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by dulaman: 12:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
Na there you get all those girls you were......
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by cutieme(m): 2:19pm On Aug 03, 2015
@hbpeze,u have spoken well but there is one area u didn't touch,yes,their ladies!How are they compared to their Naija counterparts?
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Nobody: 2:26pm On Aug 03, 2015
dulaman:
Na there you get all those girls you were......

don't complete it o
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Nobody: 2:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
coolWOMEN-They love nigerian men soo much for nigerian guys spend alot and can take care of women like. And it is often said a average beninou woman earns more than a man working in a air conditioned office.there was an occasion I took a babe to Obama beach and she was like thank you thank you I love you and all that long. ordinary beach

9)MUSIC-they may not have a popular artiste rocking the world presently but they are a avid lover of pasuma,saheed osupa and olamide.they have the best dancers and stunters in West Africa.they dance like what I don't know lol

10)BUSINESS- the business invoke are cafeterias(where you sit down and order for noodles,tea,or oats),kekeno (okada men as the yorubas call it)and house rentals.this are the ways one can get a steady income in the country lest I forget hotels included.

1 Like

Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
cutieme:
@hbpeze,u have spoken well but there is one area u didn't touch,yes,their ladies!How are they compared to their Naija counterparts?

done
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by CzarRex: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
Wat of their ladies? U didn't talk about that,are they better than nigerian women?

1 Like

Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by cutieme(m): 4:47pm On Aug 03, 2015
Does it mean that the girls them understand English or what,this one u said a particular one was telling u "thank u,thank u"
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by cutieme(m): 4:49pm On Aug 03, 2015
Does it mean that the girls them understand English or what,this one u said a particular one was telling u "thank u,thank u"Again do u mean to say that the police there will just arrest u on sighting that u are a nigerian?
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Vesuvius(m): 11:18pm On Aug 03, 2015
Will comment later. Je vien....attend la ba!
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by ichakaobos(m): 2:44am On Aug 04, 2015
So where would you advice a family to stay (hotel and which area) while visiting cotonou and places to visit.
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Rprosper: 4:09pm On Oct 26, 2018
Pls am a new comer here pls I want to relocate to benin republic hustle there am car auto electrician can I get a company to work for as car electrician pls advice and again where I can stay that I will pay little money for accomadation pls my mature pple her enlightened me pls
Re: 8 Lessons I Learnt In Benin Republic by Sportwin(m): 2:39pm On Feb 04, 2019
Op has deactiveated now
I gat questions oooo
Who would like to answer them?

(1) (Reply)

Issues Arising From Green Card Through Marriage / COVID-19: Nigeria Bars Travellers From Brazil, S’Africa, Turkey / Dana Air Commences Flights To Kaduna…promises On-time Performance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.