Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,013 members, 7,849,086 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 02:27 PM

Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews (788 Views)

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews by bakingsoda: 4:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
As a job seeker, you must have read several articles on how to excel at interviews, or let's water it down, how to land a job. Your research must have seen you perusing several CV layouts, how to answer interview questions, how to dress to interviews and even how to speak.

In recent times, the myth of having a particular type of CV has been debunked by several career experts. All that matters is the content and presentation. Likewise, the dreaded interview session is gradually being simplified and shifted away from the sober and serious session it had to be.

The job seeker always sees interviews as an opportunity to display how serious minded, hardly distracted and business ready he is to his prospective employer. But, one thing job seekers fail to realise is that the business environment has really changed in recent times and employers are also searching outside the box for an individual that can get the job done and not just an overqualifed, moderately qualified, qualified or under qualified robot. What sells is no longer the content of your CV, but your person, as vast numbers of more qualified candidates are there. If your CV says your are qualified, you get invited for an interview. The essence of the interview is to match your person to the content of your CV, or better, to give your CV a voice.

This is also where using humor during an interview comes in. When asked to talk about yourself don't just recite the content of your CV or expel some memorised lines. What your employer expects of you is to communicate in a relaxed manner with vivid scenarios of how you as a person can move their organisation forward.

Your behaviour, language, facial expression and gestures tell the prospective employer more than what you are actually saying. You don't have to sit and talk in a serious tone before you show your interviewer that you are qualified, you might even pass a wrong message with this posture; you might indirectly be telling your employer that you are a frustrated job seeker that would say anything to be employed.

What I am saying in essence is that for your next job interview be yourself, be lively and relaxed.

Do you have an interview session coming up in the next couple of days, contact us for a free mock interview session. To your success, cheers!!

http://www.excellaid.com.ng/blog/2015/8/1/using-humor-during-interviews

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews by obaataaokpaewu: 6:14pm On Aug 03, 2015
I went to an interview in another state and when it got to my turn, we started like this:

1st Person : you are from PH, oil city, what happened to all the oil jobs there

Me: I am not from PH, I base there

2nd person: its still the same thing

Me: well, if by oil you mean Palm Oil, cos that's the only oil I come in contact when eating roasted yam and fish

3 of them laughed, and the tension reduced cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews by bakingsoda: 7:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
Yes, that's the spirit
Re: Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews by Godskidmidas(m): 10:18pm On Aug 03, 2015
obaataaokpaewu:
I went to an interview in another state and when it got to my turn, we started like this:

1st Person : you are from PH, oil city, what happened to all the oil jobs there

Me: I am not from PH, I base there

2nd person: its still the same thing

Me: well, if by oil you mean Palm Oil, cos that's the only oil I come in contact when eating roasted yam and fish

3 of them laughed, and the tension reduced cheesy
Did you get the job?
Re: Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews by obaataaokpaewu: 11:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
Godskidmidas:
Did you get the job?
will get to know by thursday

(1) (Reply)

Apply For The Coca-cola Hellenic Management Trainee Programme / Probation / Accountant Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.