Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (76726 Views)

Five Things I Would Learn To Do If I Was Jobless / Why You Should Use Good Humor During Interviews / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:25am On Dec 26, 2015
I have been fighting two battles prior to opening this thread. One is if to open it at all, another is the form it's going to take. I almost decided not to open it again but my conscience never let me be. I just have to give back to the forum that immensely helped me.

Without being an ingrate, I'll like to start by thanking some very special nairalanders for their help and support at various times during the blue days.

To eipreel, words cannot describe how much I appreciate you. Your constant support while hunting is highly appreciated. You're the best I've ever met in my life. I love you kiss. Congrats on your "new job" with..... bank wink

To these great guys I say thank you. Thank you for being there at one point or the other. MacMaster01, ednut1, Highmey, mikedimeji, MarshallMathers, therealadonye, adeaks, Valentinooo, Tbliz, taiwolusol, nitrogen and several others I can't mention now.

To MissIndependent, kiss kiss thank you.

This thread is specially dedicated to every other job seeker out there especially those having problems nailing interviews.

I'll be sharing real life interview experiences and things I learnt.

I'll be right back.

25 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by adeememman(m): 11:26am On Dec 26, 2015
Okay, following
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by LaurelP(m): 11:30am On Dec 26, 2015
Oga this your thanksgiving should have come last Nah.
how do you now want us to take you seriously?

Ok come and continue

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:38am On Dec 26, 2015
I am surely following this thread.

Hmmmmm. E,ipreel is a wonderful person truly.
But she didnt tell me about the new job. angry Madam how and where are we 'washing' it? cheesy
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 11:44am On Dec 26, 2015
I was here...
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 26, 2015
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR COURSE OF STUDY.

I was just a raw job seeker, still serving, when I saw this job ad posted by MissIndependent. Fresh Corp members are needed at a firm in Ikoyi. Company was Montego Holdings.

Fast forward to the day of the interview, I was dressed in my favourite black shirt and black trouser with red tie looking like a ghost. grin

Full of confidence, I walked into the interview room to see a guy and a lady. In no time, the interview started.

So Mr rationalmind, you studied computer engineering? Yes, I answered.

So please tell us, what is computer engineering all about?

Right there in my mind I was like, what!!!, I spent the whole night reading about your company and common interview questions and all you're asking me is what computer engineering is all about?

I answered their question but I was so ashamed of myself. I struggled to explain a course I had spent six years studying (2 years in poly, 4 in uni).

After I finished, the guy looked at me and said, assuming my computer brings out a blue screen, what could be the likely cause?

I had no fucking idea. All I was taught in school were digital signal processing, artificial intelligence and a whole lot of courses that couldn't help me at that moment.

He then asked me another question which I got but it no longer mattered. They had seen all they wanted to see.

Right there, I learnt my first ever lesson. Which is to know everything there is to know about my course.

And of course, I was never called back grin

112 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 11:52am On Dec 26, 2015
Lolsss... I can't laugh... Well a lesson to some peeps sha....
Hope Mrsrationalmind is not reading this....

2 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:58am On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

I am surely following this thread.

Hmmmmm. Eipreel is a wonderful person truly.
But she didnt tell me about the new job. angry Madam how and where are 'washing' it? cheesy

I thought outings aren't really your thing cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:
Lolsss... I can't laugh... Well a lesson to some peeps sha....
Hope Mrsrationalmind is not reading this....

grin

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 12:01pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:

grin

Oh I see... With this your laugh, seems tis a couple thing... She does laugh like this too.... tongue
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 12:02pm On Dec 26, 2015
Rationalmind do this fast now.... Anxiously waiting for where I will pick my own lesson.....
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by fulfillbill(m): 12:04pm On Dec 26, 2015
I know this rational mind guy from that batch b corps thread...

You only stated having a wide knowledge of ur course what of additional certification.
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:

I thought outings aren't really your thing cheesy

Well..... they aren't, but this one will be a private outing. I can do private outings. wink
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 12:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

Well..... they aren't, but this one will be a private outing. I can do private outings. wink

Private outing... Will that be a pro Bono
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:16pm On Dec 26, 2015
fulfillbill:
I know this rational mind guy from that batch b corps thread...

You only stated having a wide knowledge of ur course what of additional certification.

I believe he is still getting there but it is not all about additional certifications bro.

I did a partner interview in one of the big four audit firms. The first question he asked me was; "how do you think your course of study can fit in or help us in this department . Of course I had already learnt all I could about the department before coming to the interview but now I had to talk about my course and relate it specifically to the work being done in that department.

When I was done answering the question, the next thing the partner said was; "do you have a relative working here, because you seem to know all about what we do".

With that statement I knew I was relatively home and dry.

My point is; just like the story rational mind related, if you can't defend or understand your course and especially marry it to the work being done in the company, then they might not even get to the stage of asking about your additional qualifications.

Sometimes, one wrongly answered question at the start of an interview can signal the end of that interview.

48 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by MissIndependent(f): 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:
KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR COURSE OF STUDY.

I was just a raw job seeker, still serving, when I saw this job ad posted by MissIndependent. Fresh Corp members are needed at a firm in Ikoyi. Company was Montego Holdings.

Fast forward to the day of the interview, I was dressed in my favourite black shirt and black trouser with red tie looking like a ghost. grin

Full of confidence, I walked into the interview room to see a guy and a lady. In no time, the interview started.

So Mr rationalmind, you studied computer engineering? Yes, I answered.

So please tell us, what is computer engineering all about?

Right there in my mind I was like, what!!!, I spent the whole night reading about your company and common interview questions and all you're asking me is what computer engineering is all about?

I answered their question but I was so ashamed of myself. I struggled to explain a course I had spent six years studying (2 years in poly, 4 in uni).

After I finished, the guy looked at me and said, assuming my computer brings out a blue screen, what could be the likely cause?

I had no fucking idea. All I was taught in school were digital signal processing, artificial intelligence and a whole lot of courses that couldn't help me at that moment.

He then asked me another question which I got but it no longer mattered. They had seen all they wanted to see.

Right there, I learnt my first ever lesson. Which is to know everything there is to know about my course.

And of course, I was never called back grin
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
ksstroud:

Private outing... Will that be a pro Bono

Most definitely. I only do pro bono for beautiful ladies and she surely qualifies. wink

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 12:27pm On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

Most definitely. I only do pro bono for beautiful ladies and she surely qualifies. wink

Ok, I will refer clients to you... Any ad to give
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Following keenly

1 Like

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 26, 2015
AN INTERVIEW IS NOT A DO OR DIE AFFAIR. TREATING IT AS ONE AFFECTS ONES CONFIDENCE

Few weeks to completing NYSC, airtel graduate trainee came out. Like every other applicant, I applied, did the online test and was invited for interview alongside 39 other candidates.

This time around, I had bought a white shirt which latter turned out to be my official interview attire. cheesy

Prior to the interview, I told myself I have to get the job and there's no room for failure. I thought by so doing, I'll push myself to my limits and prepare so hard. Unfortunately, that mindset was the exact reason I got a regret mail.

When my name was called as the next person to be interviewed, I can't remember how exactly I walked to the interview room. I was so tensed and so scared of failure that when asked to introduce myself, my voice was shaking. I tried so hard to stabilise my voice but I couldn't help it.

One of the interviewers noticed and tried to calm me down. She explained to me we are just having a chat and it's nothing serious. When she noticed it wasn't working, She asked where I served. Edo state, I answered.

Wow, so you served in the same state my mum comes from? I didn't say a word. Where in Edo state did u serve? She asked. Auchi, I answered. Wow, rationalmind, can you believe my mum stays in Auchi?

At that moment, in my mind, I was like, madam, leave all these ones, just ask me wetin u wan ask make I commot for here abeg grin

When she noticed I wasn't interested in the chit chat, she went ahead to interview me but of course, the interview was a disaster. I wasn't thinking.

I was asked what I'll do when I have several things to do with same deadline, nothing came to my head, I went blank. I could have simply told them I'll prioritise.

When I left the venue, I knew I had blown it up. When people told me I might be called, I just laughed cos I knew I'll never be called. My desperation to land the job took the better of me and that was my second lesson: Never to treat an interview like it's a do or die affair.

126 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 12:34pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nice one

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by VampireeM(f): 12:47pm On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

I believe he is still getting there but it is not all about additional certifications bro.

I did a partner interview in one of the big four audit firms. The first question he asked me was; "how do you think your course of study can fit in or help us in this department . Of course I had already learnt all I could about the department before coming to the interview but now I had to talk about my course and relate it specifically to the work being done in that department.

When I was done answering the question, the next thing the partner said was; "do you have a relative working here, because you seem to know all about what we do".

With that statement I knew I was relatively home and dry.

My point is; just like the story rational mind related, if you can't defend or understand your course and especially marry it to the work being done in the company, then they might not even get to the stage of asking about your additional qualifications.

Sometimes, one wrongly answered question at the start of an interview can signal the end of that interview.

So what if my course of study does not in any way relate to the job am applying for.. What do I do or say??

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2015
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT LIES, IT MAY RUIN EVERY GOOD THING YOUVE SAID DURING THE INTERVIEW

I picked myself up after the airtel disappointment, downloaded numerous videos on how to overcome fear and how to build confidence.

So when I got KPMG assessment centre invite, confidence was the least of my worries. I was well prepared, digested my course to a satisfactory level and was already looking forward to working with them cos I knew I was destroying the interview which of course I did.

The interview started in no time and everything was fine, I answered all questions extremely well until one tall, slim dark guy asked this question I'll never forget.

So rationalmind, how come you're having all C's in your neco result? He asked

I responded by saying it's even miraculous I passed the neco as it was waec I really prepared for and just wrote neco for the sake of writing since I was sure I'll pass waec.

When the result came out, as I had predicted, my waec result was very fine but unfortunately, I had a D7 in chemistry and that rendered my waec result useless. Since then, I've been forced to use my neco result.

How many A's did you have in your waec? he asked.

I could have told the truth but I lied, I told him I had two A's when I had none. All I had were B's. I felt since I had given them my neco result and the result satisfies their requirement, it doesn't matter.

The interview ended in no time, I thanked them and left.

The following day, I got a call from them. "Rationalmind, you told us you have a waec result with two A's yesterday" the caller at the other end said.

Yes, I answered.

Can you please send a scanned copy of the result to us now? grin

I paused and said I wasn't at home but will do that once I get home. I needed time to plan my next line of action.

I sent my waec result like that and explained it was a mix up bla bla bla

The result was a regret mail grin

170 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by monlawal(m): 1:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
Rationalmind.... This is really an eye opener. Please do justice to this and help us all. You have officially become my job guide

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
VampireeM:

So what if my course of study does not in any way relate to the job am applying for.. What do I do or say??

Hmmmm... Well some peeps can disagree ooooo
But there's no course of study ever, that doesn't have flexibility of being related to all life dealings....
It is all a matter of preparation and digging deep on what to deliver... Being a graduate, the ideal is you are a potential manager...
I can be a fishery graduate and reflect my knowledge in oil and gas.. A fine artist, relating his course in auditing.. And so on

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ksstroud: 1:08pm On Dec 26, 2015
rationalmind:
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT LIES, IT MAY RUIN EVERY GOOD THING YOUVE SAID DURING THE INTERVIEW

I picked myself up after the airtel disappointment, downloaded numerous videos on how to overcome fear and how to build confidence.

So when I got KPMG assessment centre invite, confidence was the least of my worries. I was well prepared, digested my course to a satisfactory level and was already looking forward to working with them cos I knew I was destroying the interview which of course I did.

The interview started in no time and everything was fine, I answered all questions extremely well until one tall, slim dark guy asked this question I'll never forget.

So rationalmind, how come you're having all C's in your neco result? He asked

I responded by saying it's even miraculous I passed the neco as it was waec I really prepared for and just wrote neco for the sake of writing since I was sure I'll pass waec.

When the result came out, as I had predicted, my waec result was very fine but unfortunately, I had a D7 in chemistry and that rendered my waec result useless. Since then, I've been forced to use my neco result.

How many A's did you have in your waec? he asked.

I could have told the truth but I lied, I told him I had two A's when I had none. All I had were B's. I felt since I had given them my neco result and the result satisfies their requirement, it doesn't matter.

The interview ended in no time, I thanked them and left.

The following day, I got a call from them. "Rationalmind, you told us you have a waec result with two A's yesterday" the caller at the other end said.

Yes, I answered.

Can you please send a scanned copy of the result to us now? grin

I paused and said I wasn't at home but will do that once I get home. I needed time to plan my next line of action.

I sent my waec result like that and explained it was a mix up bla bla bla

The result was a regret mail grin

Seriously you made me grin.... Maka why

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Dec 26, 2015
VampireeM:

There is always something about your course that can relate....you only have to think deep and be inventive. You have to first realize that the people who invited you for the interviews were aware of your course before inviting you. If they didn't consider you employable with the course you read, they wouldnt have invited you at all. So by asking you that question they only want to see how far you can reason.

There is a senior colleague in my workplace, who read food and nutrition.(or something related) Now imagine what a food nutritionist is doing in an audit firm.

You can always ask yourself that how did she scale through the interview processes but as an example, if I am in her shoes, I can tell the interviewers that "a food nutritionist is trained to be very meticulous and observant, as a little too much of one ingredient can spoil a whole meal or maybe even render it harmful. These are traits that are also necessary for any auditor. An auditor has to have a good eye for details and also be patient and meticulous when going over the books of clients....."

You just have to link some of your skills to the job. It doesn't have to be the technical skills alone.

113 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by VampireeM(f): 1:16pm On Dec 26, 2015
adeaks:

There is always something about your course that can relate....you only have to think deep and be inventive. You have to first realize that the people who invited you for the interviews were aware of your course before inviting you. If they didn't consider you employable with the course you read, they wouldnt have invited you at all. So by asking you that question they only want to see how far you can reason.
There is a senior colleague in my workplace, who read food and nutrition.(or something related) Now imagine what a food nutritionist is doing in an audit firm.
You can always ask yourself that how did she scale through the interview processes but as an example, if I am in her shoes, I can tell the interviewers that "a food nutritionist is trained to be very meticulous and observant, as a little too much of one ingredient can spoil a whole meal or maybe even render it harmful. These are traits that are also necessary for any auditor. An auditor has to have a good eye for details and also be patient and meticulous when going over the books of clients....."
You just have to link some of your skills to the job. It doesn't have to be the technical skills alone.

Thanks for the explanation and to ksstroud too.. I ve understood it just has to do with skills.. cause I was thinking I ve to start describe what my course of study had to do with the position.. lol.. well am glad ve never been asked that in an interview cool

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by miqos02(m): 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
ok
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by sotall(m): 1:19pm On Dec 26, 2015
k
Re: Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. by ambassadorgozie(m): 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
Chaii, I lov this thread!

Gona learn alot.

OP keep dem coming

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Service Applicants 2018 Thread / This Man Wants A Job At The Mortuary But He Failed His First Test (photos) / N-Power Teacher Corps: FG Begins Recruitment Of 500k Unemployed Graduates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.