Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,035 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing (29168 Views)

Anambra Corper, Jenyo Ojo, Dies A Month To Passing Out - Pictures / Anambra Corper Gets Marriage Proposal On Her Passing Out Day (Photo) / NYSC:8 Things You Must Do Before Passing Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
If you missed the thread put up by Goldenheart on 8 things you must do before passing out from NYSC, you can read it HERE.

This thread is to highlight the skills you must learn, whether male or female, before you pass out from NYSC. Learning at least 2 of them will equip you for the hard life most ex-corpers are facing outside. Learn more than 5 of them and you won't think of searching for a job.

1. Computer/Internet
I just can't overemphasize this one. We are in 2015 not 1990. If you can't use a computer by now and you pass out from NYSC without learning the skill you are on a long thing. For your information, most companies are going digital and CVs are no longer written by hand. To build an online profile or even open an email, you need to know how to use a computer and the internet. Imagine some corpers will know how to chat on whatsapp but can't download the app through the internet. Some know how to use BBM, 2GO, WHATSAPP just name it but they don't know how use OPERAMINI to browse, search for information or carry out other important internet based activities that will enhance the career. Well, a word is enough for the wise.

2. Agriculture
Just choose any specific area whether rearing of animals or planting of crops and learn the in and out of it. You will have ample time to practice on a small scale especially if you are serving in a rural area. Who knows, agriculture may give you your first 1 million naira/dollar instead of one fairytale white coller job. The wise ones will understand. If you need ideas please run to Agriculture section of Nairaland. You will never regret doing so.

3. Driving
Many job opportunities have passed me by because I don't know how to drive. I wish I knew earlier, I would have learnt while I was serving. Now wey things don hard for me, how I go take learn am come be problem cos I can't afford a driving school. Thats my story, do you want your story to be a similar one? Make the right choice now. Learn to drive. Save something out of that tiny allowance and use it to learn. You won't regret doing so.

4. Barbing
Having this skill can fetch you some income while you await that big job that will change your story so please don't let it go.

5. Make Up
Ladies you suppose know na. Trust me, you can buy a hummer jeep if you learn this skill very well. Who no dey make up for Naija? Even Baba Buhari still dey make up. Imagine the money that lady is making. Go buy make up kit begin practice sharp sharp. Before one year you go don turn expert.

6. Shoe/Bag/Bead Making
Thank God we are no longer in the days of Baba Jonathan when people wore no shoes. As long as people wear shoes, carry bags and adorn themselves with beads, your services will always be needed. Do I need to expantiate more?

7. Cooking/Baking/Frying
This is the best opportunity to sharpen your curlinary skills. Go online and find out how to prepare any meal. Prepare small dishes that your alawee can carry and improve on yourself. Do you think people will start using moulded Eba to celebrate social events like marriages, birthdays, etc? Cakes! Cakes! Cakes! = Naira! Naira! Naira!

8. Public Speaking
Well if you have all these skill and you don't know how to sell it, thats a big problem on its own. I therefore encourage you to learn to interact well with people so as to sell or market yourself.

I hope you will utilize this information to your advantage. Experience is a good teacher, just pray not to be on the wrong side of the learning curve. Thanks.

Source: Martins301

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 03, 2015
Nice
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 03, 2015
Nice
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Nobody: 8:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
I will appreciate any good samaritan that can teach me how to drive. Help a brother please. I will be in Benin City from the day after tomorrow

Martins301

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Ademat7(m): 9:18pm On Aug 04, 2015
Job well done!
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Nobody: 4:53am On Aug 05, 2015
Op,elaborate more in that driving stuff,how does it help as regards to when you serving as a corper,am a prospective Batch B for this october 2015.Is it that the place you may apply for work will demand that you know how to move a car?
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 05, 2015
Doxie69:
Op,elaborate more in that driving stuff,how does it help as regards to when you serving as a corper,am a prospective Batch B for this october 2015.Is it that the place you may apply for work will demand that you know how to move a car?

knowing how to Drive or having a drivers license may be a requirement for getting job nowadays. For example, check the ongoing guiness recruitment. It is an essential skill so I encourage u to learn it.

3 Likes

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Ultimated: 11:20am On Aug 05, 2015
Ok
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by godwinbatho(m): 11:23am On Aug 05, 2015
shocked shocked cheesy grin
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by aboyaji(m): 11:23am On Aug 05, 2015
Toilet key keeping

If you find yourself where there are too many persons closely living together, you can volunteer to be the toilet key keeper. Permission will be taken from you before anyone heads into the toilet for anything. And if it's a place where people pay to defecate, hmmm!!! You don hammer be that.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by xreal: 11:25am On Aug 05, 2015
I agree with all you listed, especially number 4, added to that is sewing.

My tailor makes hell of money than me, hanging around him during leisure time has made me meet 'people'.

Tailor oooo!

1 Like

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by gameboy727(m): 11:26am On Aug 05, 2015
Useful tips.
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Richie0974: 11:26am On Aug 05, 2015
I'll take note of that....I know a few already..
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Funbii(m): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2015
Op thanks for the info

Since you highlighted barbing,, hair-dresser nko?
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Ephemmm: 11:27am On Aug 05, 2015
Doxie69:

Driving is part of the skills every youths must have: only God knows what the next one or two years of graduation will be: get ready for anything.

That was how a man wanted to help a friend of mine to get a well paid driving job in a corporate organization where graduate who can communicate efficiently is needed: the job is just to drive the Chairman of the Board of Full Time basis with promotion and allowances for working late. He could have secured the job without a valid application because the man really likes his integrity and his well polished physical appearance, but loose the job because he cannot drive.

Sometimes things do not work the way we think it ought to especially in Nigeria. One has to be dynamic and be multi-tasking. I have seen a PA's job where driving skill is one of the requirements.

4 Likes

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by ITSAWRAPP: 11:27am On Aug 05, 2015
Interpersonal and research skills are also of great importance.

Research skill assists will carrying out feasibility study, which is essential for intending Entrepreneurs.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by kulobyno: 11:29am On Aug 05, 2015
Learnt none. Nobody to teach
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Femistico(m): 11:30am On Aug 05, 2015
thats good

1 Like

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by Princejebs(m): 11:31am On Aug 05, 2015
Lastly learn how to become a father an mother....you are on your own....Marriage is the movement

1 Like

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by ultrazone2(m): 11:31am On Aug 05, 2015
sfffsac
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by prosper21(m): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2015
Tnks
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by DrObum(m): 11:32am On Aug 05, 2015
Cool cool
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by therealdeal10: 11:39am On Aug 05, 2015
Awesome tips, 9ija na survival of d fittest
Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by PilotOz(m): 11:42am On Aug 05, 2015
Martins301:
I will appreciate any good samaritan that can teach me how to drive. Help a brother please. I will be in Benin City from next tomorrow

Martins301
I live in benin too, and i've been looking for someone who'll teach me... But i haven't found one yet.. Anyways i downloaded many videos on driving tutorials from youtube, and think u should do the same... Its very gud... atleast u will knw d theory aspect before u find a way to practicalise it.

4 Likes

Re: NYSC: 8 Skills You Must Learn Before Passing by FYB(m): 11:43am On Aug 05, 2015
true

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwara State '16 Batch A, Lets Meet Here / NYSC Batch A: Everything You Need To Know / Corps Members To Receive Their Allowance In A Couple Of Days – NYSC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.