Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,149 members, 7,815,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews (23296 Views)

Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. / 10 Mistakes Job Seekers Make … And How to Avoid Them / Intelligent Questions Every Interviewee Should Ask During Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Situation001(m): 11:01am On Aug 04, 2015
ok
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Seye25(m): 11:06am On Aug 04, 2015
Nice one there..

Especially the last point.

I went for a bank interview and the same evening of that interview, i saw a very beautiful car parked infront of me while i was walking home from my bus stop. To my surprise, the occupant wind down and He turned out to be my interviewer. Then he said hello to me and he zoomed off.

My lessons which i learnt were

1. Never lie during an interview. i was actually asked where i do stay and who do i stay with

2. Your appearance matters a lot. I finished my interview around 11 am and we met at my busstop at 6pm, yet i was still dressed as if i am just going for the interview I guess that's what gave him the courage to stop and say hi to me.

Two days later, I got a success mail and i'm about to resume their training school..

4 Likes

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by 247notire(m): 11:20am On Aug 04, 2015
Situation001:
ok
Your siggy though. Coool

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by spartoo: 11:22am On Aug 04, 2015
danyel09:
gone are the days when good jobs are already waiting for you from your final year in the university. Now no jobs sef talk less of "good".
The educational system is wack and to make matters worse, the Nigerian educational system is dilapidated. Fresh graduates are required to have at least ten years experience angry . You need long legs for virtually everything, from gaining admission to getting employed.
God save our Nation

thanks a million for discouraging and instilling hopelessness into future job seekers. there might be no job for u but sincerely there is good job for me.

cheers

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by 247notire(m): 11:28am On Aug 04, 2015
Nice one op. Being an HR person myself, these are very true. then we hv those that lie on their CVs and incorporate all sorts into their CVs. Funny but evry little word on ur CV matters a lot at d graduate employee level. Be prepared to answer any questn that arises from it! For example, I hv writing as a hobby on my CV and behold the interviewer asked me stuff I've written about... If I hv any books to my name or in the works or any links, I gladly gave of course. I guess due to my vry strong communication skills, i was specifically requested for by one HR person in the coy cos dats whr I ended up. Be prepared! in one sentence.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by DharmyYinks: 11:38am On Aug 04, 2015
In addition to what the op said

Don't divert ur attention to ur phone while waiting for ur turn in an interview. U wil ve all d time u need to press ur fone but don't do it b4 an interview cos dey may just tag u as unserious. Preferably, switch it off during d interview. U dnt want ur fone ringing while answering an important or while u re bein talked to.

Also, its better for u to relax ur mind while waiting for ur turn. Dont act/look anxious,stop changing ur sitting posture evrytime,don't go to d toilet evry minute. Just sit straight and look cool. U may probably tink of a api memory to calm ur nerves.

Finally, always smile during d interview but don't let it be too much. Wen u smile its maks u seem friendly,open,not anxious,relaxed buh wen u do it too much u look weird/awkward and if u don't do it at all u look too serious,strange,ur face doesn't look inviting to customers,u may probably scare dem away.

Dats wat d interviewer is goin to think.
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by bummyla(m): 11:48am On Aug 04, 2015
Thanks For the Information! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by elprokez(m): 12:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
Nice Post OP... wink
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Fundango: 12:59pm On Aug 04, 2015
Honestly am guity of No.3
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by jaysay(m): 2:06pm On Aug 04, 2015
NO 1 Mistake people make, I think is, go to the interview, thinking that they are about to be done a favour by the employer to be. No way. I go with the perception that we are about to help each other--give me the job, I will work and you will gain and you will pay me.

This helps me relax during interviews I have done in the past.

2 Likes

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Pastev1(m): 2:49pm On Aug 04, 2015
So lovely, they said "experience is the best teacher" it's an experience words. I wish people will take it serious for their own good. Composure matters a lot when it comes to career, don’t over serious nor been slack. Cheers All!
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by segxy2015: 3:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
Hmmmmm, Noted
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Princephelar(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
https://instagram.com/p/54WLSCJcwy/

Pls like dis video on my instagram page and tag your friends to like it too
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by tosyne2much(m): 6:18pm On Aug 04, 2015
UnknownT:
I'm guilty of no. 3 not only in interviews. The last interview and proposal I attended, imeediately I was done, I just folded my jacket into my back pack, removed the tie, folded my long sleeves and finally "un-tucked" my shirt. Suit and tie no be for me oh. Also after dressing at home, I don't get to wear the jacket till I get to the venue.
Hahaha cheesy

I don't know why I found your comment so funny cheesy
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by tosyne2much(m): 6:24pm On Aug 04, 2015
sucess001:
If that job is yours..you ll get it regardless of all these lists...

Lemme share my experience with yall...

I was a lawyer working in a lawfirm...and the position was for legal....in a Bank...

We were about 100 for the Job...98% of the others had banking experience...i didn't...and about 80% were existing staff of the bank.

I wasn't so keen about the job so i was basically chatting, bantering and having fun with the panel of about 15 people...

i remember that at a point we were almost arguing about football... and one of them said arsenal was better than Barca...(He was the Company Secretary of the Bank)

I smiled and told him 'Sir, i agree...only for the sake of this interview...i agree with you...but outside this interview room...i will disagree with you totally'...all of them laughed...

To cut the story short sha...i got the job...

My boss later told me i got it because of my research inclinations...i was a columnist in all the top newspapers then and that was what they needed at that point...he also said after my jokes, most of the panel took a liking to me...

And to think i didn't even think they were looking at the research part of my cv...

And guess what?...2 weeks before then i was also bantering with another bank (a smaller bank)'s panel and they were like i was too 'confident' and 'trying to be funny'..after that stage(3rd)...they didn't call me again...

Which brings me back to my initial statement...if its yours...you will be favored for something u didn't even aver your mind to...

All the best!

I love this

God bless you bro cool

1 Like

Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by blaze2cool(m): 12:08am On Aug 05, 2015
Because we all need good jobs, we have forgotten the part of being an entreprenuer......
since your dream job is not coming why not learn a new skill and try look for a way of changing or contributing to the economical growth of this grate nation.
as for me i am in my finals in sch but already have my own business i run, i believe you to can do the same all u need is idea and plans then impliment your plans and also we nigerians should be creative and by doing this we'll help ourselves and people around us.... even contibute to the economical growth ofthis conuntry.....

am jus saying though......
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by 1miccza: 6:10am On Aug 05, 2015
ITSAWRAPP:
nice info

Let's dress you for your dream job

Fellow Nairalanders, please check out our incredible offer below

How much does your suit and trouser alone go for?
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by ITSAWRAPP: 8:21am On Aug 05, 2015
1miccza:

How much does your suit and trouser alone go for?

Dear 1miccza,

Kindly contact us on Whatsapp for more information. Contact information available in our profile and signature below.

Thank you
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 05, 2015
spartoo:

thanks a million for discouraging and instilling hopelessness into future job seekers. there might be no job for u but sincerely there is good job for me.

cheers
brother, you may be an intelligent person in some areas but with your comment here, am sorry but I can only see that you're a shallow minded person
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by spartoo: 3:28pm On Aug 05, 2015
danyel09:
brother, you are an intelligent person in some areas but with your comment here, am sorry but I can only think that you're a shallow minded person

tnx for sharin ur thought

smiley
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 06, 2015
Don't mind them,dats how they'll be writing diff tips. I read 1 dat u shouldn't be too early to an interview,bearing this in mind,I arrived at d venue by 8:15am 4 an interview scheduled 4 10am,so I decided to go 2 shopryt which was close to it to chill till d tym. When I eventually arrived I was d last person 2 be interviewed,d HR asked me y nd I told him,nd he said its nt true,that a girl even came so early she participated in their morning devotion,guess when she arrived? 8:29,I arrived b4 her but she got 2 be in his good books nd was even told 2 wait behind
Re: Some Hidden Mistakes Job-seekers Make During Interviews by MightyFortress: 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2015
Preparing hard.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Get A Federal Job Or Move To Canada / Five Must Avoid Words To Use During Any Job Interview / 2016 And 2017 Graduates How Have You Been Coping?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.