Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,614 members, 7,813,011 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:03 AM

How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? (5703 Views)

10 Amazing Things We’ve Learned About The Solar System In 2016 / What Will The Sky Look Like If Planets Were As Close To Us As The Moon? / The Solar System And Its Waters And Oceans (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by johnydon22(m): 10:35am On Aug 04, 2015
[b]We all grew up learning that we have 9planets in our solar system and surely many people up till now still hold this to be true.

But SCIENCE is ever improving with more discoveries and every scientific postulations are all still very open to scrutiny, more studies, research and more discoveries, this makes science (A systematic way for carefully and thoroughly OBSERVING nature and using consistent logic to evaluate the results) a very reliable method of obtaining knowledge because it is open to more facts and improvement thereby improving the quality of truth it holds.

[size=16]Having said that, let us move on to the topic at hand.

We have as of now 8 Known Main planets in the solar system of which consist of all the planets you use to know except pluto... They are:
1)Mercury
2)Venus
3)Earth
4)Mars
5Jupiter
6)Saturn
7)Uranus
8.)Neptune

It is common to ask "what about Pluto" for people who haven't heard about this before.

Don't worry pluto is still a planet but with the modernized planetary characteristics stipulated, pluto falls under the category of DWARF PLANET and also a TNO (trans neptunian object).

Trans Neptunian Objects are celestial objects that transcends Neptune, and this comprise of asteroids, planets (dwarf), moons and many other celestial bodies.

There are 5 trans neptunian Objects that are recognized as Dwarf planets by the INTERNATIONAL ASTRONOMICAL UNION, and they are:

1)Pluto (Our famous Pluto)

2)Ceres (The only of the Dwarf planet that is not trans neptunian lies between Mars and Jupiter in the asteroid belt)

3)Haumea

4)Makemake

5)Eris.
[img]http://4.bp..com/-jLn3tiYTckU/UB3g0bC33BI/AAAAAAAAKjw/jE3s7ZGyerE/s1600/3-5-dwarfplanets.017.png[/img]

(And there are also possibilities of having hundreds more of these dwarf planets in our planetary system.
Other trans neptunian objects like Sedna and 2007FY9 are yet to be recognized as dwarf planets by the IAU)

So going with this we have as of now 13 Confirmed planets in our solar system,

8 main planets and 5 dwarf planets. . . . And we are still optimistic that with time, with more discoveries being made, this fact is going to improve.

Cc. RobinHez Queed Temmpakguy Lalasticlala
[/b][/size]

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by RobinHez(m): 1:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
Nice one Johnny...

Information received from New Horizon is making some astronomers have a rethink abt pluto...

Let's wait for their meeting to know what the verdict is!
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by hahn(m): 2:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
Nice. Have they discovered where "heaven" is yet?

1 Like

Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 04, 2015
This is a wonderful one from johnydon . . .

As RobinHez has said, pluto is being reevaluated, also, ceres is an asteroid as well.

I am indeed very sure that we will find more of these little planets. I heard the majority of them are littered with mineral resources.
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 04, 2015
hahn:
lol ... grin

several unconfirmed sources claim that heaven is in fact the only planet in the habitable zone of the polaris star.
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by johnydon22(m): 3:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
Teempakguy:

As RobinHez has said, pluto is being reevaluated, also, ceres is an asteroid as well.

I am indeed very sure that we will find more of these little planets. I heard the majority of them are littered with mineral resources.
Lets wait for their verdict. smiley

Ceres exhibited characteristics of a planet thats why its been counted as a dwarf planet instead of being classified an asteroid. . .Maybe with new studies being carried out on it, we will get to know which is it really!!!
[img]http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages/images/mediumsize/PIA19064_ip.jpg[/img]

they should freaking make up their mind and tell us if its a dwarf planet or asteriod for crying out loud angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by hahn(m): 3:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
Teempakguy:
lol ... grin

several unconfirmed sources claim that heaven is in fact the only planet in the habitable zone of the polaris star.

Yeah. I passed it on my way to earth grin
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Slimzjoe(m): 3:51pm On Aug 04, 2015
So Pluto is 'Not' a Planet Because its a Trans Neputian?? Cos I still don't get it grin

CC: Teempakguy Robinhez Johnny
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2015
Slimzjoe:
So Pluto is 'Not' a Planet Because its a Trans Neputian?? Cos I still don't get it grin

CC: Teempakguy Robinh ez Johnny
it's not because. Pluto is not a planet because it is simply not big enough. grin
it being a trans neptunian is merely a coincidence.
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Slimzjoe(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
Teempakguy:
it's not because. Pluto is not a planet because it is simply not big enough. grin
it being a trans neptunian is merely a coincidence.

Now I get it! Tnx Man....So that Means, Size is one of the Characteristics of a Planet
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by sinaj(f): 5:40pm On Aug 04, 2015
Gud one bro smiley

downloading.........
downloading in brain complete cool
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by dabosuker(m): 8:39pm On Aug 05, 2015
hahn:

Heaven is actually the Sky or anything above the Earth,....In order words Heaven is "Space"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by dabosuker(m): 8:55pm On Aug 05, 2015
Teempakguy:

that is very possible, imagine a planet composed mainly of Carbon, we would be finding in it a whole lot of Diamonds , diamonds even as large as a salon car cannot be ruled out , or a planet with as atmosphere of Hydrocarbon, we could have liquid methane as rain , the possibilities are limitless
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by hahn(m): 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2015
dabosuker:

Heaven is actually the Sky or anything above the Earth,....In order words Heaven is "Space"

I'm referring to the one with god and the angels in it
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by wiegraf: 10:09pm On Aug 05, 2015
dabosuker:

that is very possible, imagine a planet composed mainly of Carbon, we would be finding in it a whole lot of Diamonds , diamonds even as large as a salon car cannot be ruled out , or a planet with as atmosphere of Hydrocarbon, we could have liquid methane as rain , the possibilities are limitless

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_planet

Volcanoes that rain diamonds
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Feraz(m): 10:37pm On Aug 05, 2015
You know eh, when I found out about Pluto not being a planet, I recall being in conflict with some children I was teaching if I should make them know Pluto is not one anymore or continue with what their textbooks say because most curriculum haven't been updated to reflect that.

Then again, I keep wondering why Eris wasn't found before Pluto cos if I remember correctly, it was after Eris was discovered that they decided to rule out Pluto.
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by samwayne154(m): 5:31pm On Aug 06, 2015
Sooo in conclusion.........pluto is no more a planet nd eris is nw a planet or what?....can sumone pls list d planets we have?
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Feraz(m): 8:38pm On Aug 06, 2015
samwayne154:
Sooo in conclusion.........pluto is no more a planet nd eris is nw a planet or what?....can sumone pls list d planets we have?
Yeah. . . Pluto is considered a dwarf planet, same with Eris; so therefore, there are 8 main planets FOR NOW and 5 dwarf planets.

Johnydon22, just checked your profile. You play basketball? Interesting.
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by kemiola89(f): 8:47pm On Aug 06, 2015
What really constitutes a planet?
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by johnydon22(m): 6:51am On Aug 07, 2015
Feraz:
Yeah. . . Pluto is considered a dwarf planet, same with Eris; so therefore, there are 8 main planets FOR NOW and 5 dwarf planets.

LOL....smiley

1 Like

Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by samwayne154(m): 9:10am On Aug 07, 2015
Feraz:

if u don't mind can u name d 5 dwarf planets?
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by johnydon22(m): 9:17am On Aug 07, 2015
samwayne154:
The five dwarf planets are right there on the OP. . .read it bro

Pluto, ceres, eris, haumean, makemake

2 Likes

Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by HiggsBoson(m): 12:51pm On Aug 07, 2015
i love threads like this. lets keep it up brothers, we need to know more about the outer space
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by HiggsBoson(m): 12:52pm On Aug 07, 2015
i love threads like this. lets keep it up brothers, we need to know more about the outer space. there are actually more than 5 dwarf planets, we have many of them. but i think pluto will be re-instated into a planet again soonest.
Re: How Many Planets Are There In The Solar System? by Feraz(m): 7:23am On Aug 11, 2015
samwayne154:
It's all written in the original post.

(1) (Reply)

Unidentified Flying Objects And Alien Intelligence. The USS Nimitz Incident / 14 Planets In Our Solar System That You Have Never Heard Of / Lion Trampled To Death By Buffalo Stampede(picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.