Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,380 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] (74583 Views)

RCCG Member Proposes To A Sister In Church, In Front Of Congregation (Video) / Reno Omokri Visits Laodicean Church In Turkey, The One Jesus Wanted To Spit Out / The Apostolic Church, Nigeria Gets New Leaders. (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by Napoleone(m): 9:47pm On Aug 06, 2015
Ikaosunwon:
The one wey dey Badagry nko?
The Missionaries, Thomas Birch Freeman and Henry Townsend, just had Eucharist at Badagry on the 25th of December, 1842 and they moved to Abeokuta because the people of Badagry were not so receptive.
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by Napoleone(m): 9:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
LOC1:
But, CMS Badagry should be the oldest. It was built in 1841
Abeg, na lie ooo...Thomas Birch Freeman was the first Missionary to be sent(by the Methodist/Wesleyan) and he arrived Badagry in 1842. Henry Townsend was later sent by the CMS and both of them had joint Christmas Eucharist on the 25th of December, 1842. The people of Badagry do contest with Ake because of this service.

1 Like

Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by gebest: 9:58pm On Aug 06, 2015
Napoleone:
Anglican
ok thanx

1 Like

Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by Napoleone(m): 9:59pm On Aug 06, 2015
funkybully:
Oldest church Yet most of the people attending the church indulge in juju and ritualism as ogun presently prove.

When did they tour round Nigeria to know Which church was built first? And what makes a church? Gathering of people or mighty structure?

Mtcheeeeeew!
Beefers!!! We sight ya! grin

3 Likes

Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by Napoleone(m): 10:03pm On Aug 06, 2015
Berrypie:
I think the name should have that title. As for the structure, I doubt it is as old. I have seen the building severally, I don't think it is what was there in the beginning.
Yes, that's true. According to Historians, it was initially made with thatched roof.
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by Napoleone(m): 10:06pm On Aug 06, 2015
funkybully:
[s][/s]

Does that structure look like a structure built in 1800s?
The point is this, it was initially made with thatched roof and you can't expect the church to still be using thatched roof in this period of modernization. It's ever recorded that there was a time the church was burnt because of political upheaval and turbulence.
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by chigoizie7(m): 10:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
If that church building and materials for building it is not up to 120yrs then, that is certainly not the oldest church , because the one in my village s above 120yrs, with proof, pictures and facts.

And it has maintained that follow come roofs,the architectural designs,the spike(very very tall). The only new thing in the church, is the new tiles inside the church, the interlocks outside the building and the constant repainting of the building.

So, OP, give us the date it was built, then we can take it from there.

And the date that very structure was also built,( I don't mean the one that was demolished to build this one ooh).
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by chigoizie7(m): 10:56pm On Aug 06, 2015
Napoleone:
Yes, that's true. According to Historians, it was initially made with thatched roof.

If it was initially made with thatched roofs and now with zinc, then, it is certainly not the oldest.
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by Napoleone(m): 11:49pm On Aug 06, 2015
chigoizie7:

If it was initially made with thatched roofs and now with zinc, then, it is certainly not the oldest.
The title gets the award, hun? It's called juristic person. Don't forget that if you're the first to swallow a lion alive, the fact that you're now grown up doesn't take that record away from you wink

1 Like

Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by buzquet(m): 6:57am On Aug 07, 2015
Dubem13:
you guys are stupid,I hate yorubas with passion.
welcome to Biafra
in your dreams. biafrans way unable no gt anything to depend on, way una dey fight 4 independent? I pity una.
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by ontalenu1(m): 1:33pm On Aug 07, 2015
So proud to be a member by birth though its not the first building built for church then
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by shonupe(f): 11:28pm On Aug 08, 2015
achinaboy:
you are calling this the oldest church in Nigeria,because nobody told them about the one in my village
achinaboy:
you are calling this the oldest church in Nigeria,because nobody told them about the one in my village
. Lols
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by EreluY(f): 5:36pm On May 19, 2016
mecuzee:
Interesting. Sad thing is certified on earth doesn't necessarily mean certified in HEAVEN!

Your logic is warped. Go and enrol on Philosophy 101. Some free online courses are offered these days even by Yale and Harvard to enable people like you get education (not necessarily certificates which like most Nigerians you probably have but arguably lacking in in depth critical thinking).

The OP is talking about something which can be verifiably proven; you're yapping about unverifiable truth-claim. Can you see your folly?
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by mecuzee(m): 12:17pm On May 30, 2016
EreluY:

Your logic is warped. Go and enrol on Philosophy 101. Some free online courses are offered these days even by Yale and Harvard to enable people like you get education (not necessarily certificates which like most Nigerians you probably have but arguably lacking in in depth critical thinking).

The OP is talking about something which can be verifiably proven; you're yapping about unverifiable truth-claim. Can you see your folly?

Don't take it personal sweetheart! It's true!
Re: The First And Oldest Church In Nigeria Gets Record Certificate[pics] by xaviernaija: 11:26am On Sep 05, 2016
God bless His Church and people, Amen.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Biodun Fatoyinbo Was Rusticated At UNILORIN Over Cultism - Aliu Bolakale / Dwarf RCCG Pastor Dele Taiwo's Wedding Photos / Oro Traditionalists Perform Pastor Ajanaku 's Burial Rites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.