Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,062 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) (3033 Views)

Is Gtbank Opened On Saturday / Is Gtbank Having Network Issues? / Is Gtbank Anti-business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 1:00pm On Aug 04, 2015
In year 2005, I have to open a domiciliary account. I approached few banks around me including the bank I was using then. The bank claiming to be the first in Nigeria). Their terms and conditions were not too good for a starter. But after much contemplation, analysis and discernment, I chose the one that favored me most even though I have hidden ill feelings about their terms and conditions. I ran the account for a few months. Then, event happened and I was introduced to Gtbank. I approached them for enquiry, and I was ok with their terms and conditions. I was totally blown away with the speed, good customer service and other banking conditions they have. I felt so good, proud and excited that I used GTB.
Fast forward to 2010, things began to fall apart. I began to observe lapses, negligence, unprofessionalism, charlatan attitudes and others on the part of my best bank in Nigeria. I thought of it within me, and I said to myself, we are all human been and we are liable to mistakes and inconsistency. But presently, the problem with GTB is not inconsistency but degrade in value and services. I asked myself, what happened to my bank? Is it because Tayo is dead?
Recently, I needed to open a corporate account for my new business. I approached the best two (2) banks on my own assessment. Gtbank one of them because so many people use the bank as I want a bank that most of my clients use.
The process started. You will need a valid Id document… bla bla like that. I say no problem. I presented the first document which I spent N16, 000 instead of the normal N6, 500 so that things can get faster. My orange bank say no to the document and I told myself, this bank has a policy and there is nothing bad about that. I have to go to Ikoyi the second day to arrange for another document (you should know the document now) and I paid another N28, 000 cash. I wanted things to be done as soon as possible otherwise, I will lose the enthusiasm.
I submitted the document plus other ones and the supposed account officer inspected everything. In her words: You can now go to the down floor and make a payment of five thousand naira. This will be for the Cheque book and CAC process.
A month later, I went to our orange bank. Ask about the status of the account, then the lady directed me to another lady for the collection of the cheque book. There, I was told that the account was not ready because they have not confirmed the CAC document. What does that mean? With a light disappointment, I left.
I gave her (the account officer) the feedback and she apologized. And promised me 2 weeks’ time. I added another 2 week which made it a months and the same thing happened exactly the way it happened last time.
So I left again but this time feeling so bad. I retuned in a month later but the account officer not available. I went to the cheque book collection center, presented my account number but was told the account was not ready. I asked why and I was told the CAC had not been verified. I made up my mind to stop opening the account. But I have to take action this time. I demanded to see the branch manager who after my explanation told me the account was ready. I was already boiling inside me but I was controlling myself to be civil. I really tried because I resisted every attempt to use foul language even though I feel that was the best way to talk sense to them.
I told the Manager, ok since the account was ready, then let me have the cheque book. The man went through his computer and said, well the cheque book was ready but we can’t give it to you. I asked why and he said CAC verification.
Can you imagine, 3 months yet verification. I was more furious because the branch Manager was repeatedly telling me the account was ready. And each time I will ask him if I should go ahead and begin to operate the account but he would never answered.
After some time, the man came up with another fib. Trying to cover their laxity. Yes we have tried to verify the CAC document but there was an error on the name. Yet the manager could not explain very well because I asked him so many reasonable question to show to him that his white lie could not rescue him.

Shortly after I left the bank that day, I got alert of service charge deduction which was an indication that they just worked on that account.
I decided not to go to the bank again since I was sure the manager was telling lies that my name had issues at the CAC office. The same name that I used and the same paper and document that another bank used to open an account for me for the same purpose.
Though I was already aware of their quality of services was no more the same under Tayo, but this account make GTBANK loose so much respect from me.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 1:07pm On Aug 04, 2015
Recently, I have been receiving messages to come and pick my cheaqebook[b] (the same name they told me was having issues with CAC, and I needed to go there to visit is now suddenly correct without me visiting the CAC)[/b].
Each time I got to this branch, I ended up turning back immediately because of crowd. I cant imagine me spending 3 hours in the bank because I want to collect a cheaqubook. I always pity their workers at all times because there is no time for fun even for a minute.

This is Abule Egba branch banking hall yesterday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 1:11pm On Aug 04, 2015
This is their orange box for pink copy by 3pm yesterday.

When the box were overfull, people began to drop their pink copy on the table as you can see in the image

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2015
I also interview some sobbing customers indirectly and recorded their voices without them knowing. They all complained and you can imagine someone who wanted to change just a number and he had been in the bank since 930 am and was still there as at 3:20pm
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by madgoat(m): 1:14pm On Aug 04, 2015
Wow... Now i feel discouraged about opening a business account with them.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 4:31pm On Aug 05, 2015
madgoat:
Wow... Now i feel discouraged about opening a business account with them.
And the people working with them will be like, Oh God!
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by Shakitibobo: 7:04am On Aug 06, 2015
Hi Green, mennn I feel your pain and I once had similar experience though with another bank. In my case, I decided to go to CAC to enquire what was delaying my documents as claimed by the Bank. What I encountered at CAC made me realize that most of the blames we heap on Banks are often not fair. Early this year, CAC had a fire incident that damaged a lot of their Data and ever since, verifying the documents sent in by Banks on their Database has been very difficult, so Banks are often handicapped. In the event they release your cheque book without receiving verification from CAC that the documents you presented are confirmed, they will be sanctioned. I am not defending them, hell they have their own issues but sometimes, the picture gets clearer when you see both sides.

1 Like

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by solid3(m): 7:15am On Aug 06, 2015
Mehn, workers in this bank must have a lodge upstairs where they sleep.

I was quick to say OP took the pix during BVN but when I saw the pink copy box I pity the workers in that bank.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by ismart: 8:38am On Aug 06, 2015
Shakitibobo:
Hi Green, mennn I feel your pain and I once had similar experience though with another bank. In my case, I decided to go to CAC to enquire what was delaying my documents as claimed by the Bank. What I encountered at CAC made me realize that most of the blames we heap on Banks are often not fair. Early this year, CAC had a fire incident that damaged a lot of their Data and ever since, verifying the documents sent in by Banks on their Database has been very difficult, so Banks are often handicapped. In the event they release your cheque book without receiving verification from CAC that the documents you presented are confirmed, they will be sanctioned. I am not defending them, hell they have their own issues but sometimes, the picture gets clearer when you see both sides.
the should have cloud storage backup... Kai. And no one is proffering solution.

1 Like

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 12:33pm On Aug 06, 2015
Shakitibobo:

I know they were not saying the true as per the CAC stuff. I was also opening another account in another bank and I submitted the same documents. That was just 4 days after submission at gtbank. The other bank never complain of the document as regards CAC. How come the case is different on gtbank?
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 12:41pm On Aug 06, 2015
solid3:

I was quick to say OP took the pix during BVN but when I saw the pink copy box I pity the workers in that bank.

Honestly, this picture was taking Monday this week. Tell any of your relations that is close to. Abule egba to check anytime during the banking hours and report back to you
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 12:42pm On Aug 06, 2015
solid3:

Honestly, this picture was taking Monday this week. Tell any of your relations that is close to. Abule egba to check anytime during the banking hours and report back to you.
I only took this picture because I was frustrated. That is the norm at that branch
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by Nobody: 2:21pm On Aug 06, 2015
greens , i am so sorry you experienced such with GTBank. But Regarding your CAC, CAC Verification(Called Legal Search) takes only 5 days! As at that time, CAC did not have an online means of verification for public entities like banks and so on... They manually fax or mail the Nearest CAC office and that nearest CAC will call the CAC office you registered in and they will do manual Paper Document Filing Cabinet Searching(10th Century search) so it will take a while..

As of 2015! With the new and improved CAC, once your company or business is incorporated or registered by a genuine consultant who syncs it online, trust me, its just 5 days or even less. A friend of my who recently registered a company, opened an account with GTB and both Referee and CAC were confirmed in 3 days.. Account was ready in 4 days! He was depositing and withdrawing!

So you see... GTB has really improved! Your story s 2005 we are in 2015 smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 3:59pm On Aug 06, 2015
coolsix:
greens , i am so sorry you experienced such with GTBank. But Regarding your CAC, CAC Verification(Called Legal Search) takes only 5 days! As at that time, CAC did not have an online means of verification for public entities like banks and so on... They manually fax or mail the Nearest CAC office and that nearest CAC will call the CAC office you registered in and they will do manual Paper Document Filing Cabinet Searching(10th Century search) so it will take a while..

As of 2015! With the new and improved CAC, once your company or business is incorporated or registered by a genuine consultant who syncs it online, trust me, its just 5 days or even less. A friend of my who recently registered a company, opened an account with GTB and both Referee and CAC were confirmed in 3 days.. Account was ready in 4 days! He was depositing and withdrawing!

So you see... GTB has really improved! Your story s 2005 we are in 2015 smiley

It appears you didn't read the whole story. Because I mentioned it that this happened recently
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by ferhyntorlah(f): 6:54pm On Aug 06, 2015
Mr Greens, mehn I feel your pain.

Bank branches around Iju road and Abule Egba usually have high customer turn out unlike what is obtained at Ogba.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 7:25pm On Aug 06, 2015
ferhyntorlah:
Mr Greens, mehn I feel your pain.

Bank branches around Iju road and Abule Egba usually have high customer turn out unlike what is obtained at Ogba.
The reality is that their customer base is ever growing. Yet they have not been doing anything serious to address that
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by Addme: 7:53pm On Aug 06, 2015
solid3:

GTB really need to step up their games.The crowd you saw here is nothing compared to Sango Ota branch.If you don't have up to 4hrs to spare,don't visit that branch.

1 Like

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 12:07am On Aug 07, 2015
Addme:
GTB really need to step up their games.The crowd you saw here is nothing compared to Sango Ota branch.If you don't have up to 4hrs to spare,don't visit that branch.
Yes. They are becoming a time waster. That is bad
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by hazyfm1: 6:20pm On Aug 10, 2015
shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by wordcat(m): 9:28pm On Aug 10, 2015
When you visit GTB Trinity Branch along Oshodi-Apapa Express, you will regret ever banking with them
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 9:36pm On Aug 10, 2015
wordcat:
When you visit GTB Trinity Branch along Oshodi-Apapa Express, you will regret ever banking with them
Abule Egba branch can frustrate you
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by williams20(m): 10:00pm On Aug 10, 2015
I think everyone needs to understand this point that the cause of the crowd isn't the banks inadequacies per se but our inability as customers to use other channels for transactions
If 50% of those who use the banking hall daily use other channels, they would not have to be in the bank before transactions can be effected .
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by kolokolobi(m): 10:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
I had the opportunity to learn a thing or two about what some banks are going through. I'd concentrate in gtb since that's the one in focus.
Gtb and a few banks had set out with a strategy to focus their business on high networth individuals and corporate bodies. This strategy, differentiated, is meant to deliver high end timely quality experience to this customer band. So you'd notice they had small buildings, tiny banking halls compared to some others like Union, first etc. This was for few high networth customers. Unfortunately the Sanusi cbn Era quashed what you may call discriminatory account opening criteria which some banks had defined to attract only that market segment. So with 5k anyone, absolutely any one could open an account with any bank. This could not happen with some banks which included gtb.
So it is a case of all banks now chasing same types of customers unlike before and thus their strategic outlay was disrupted, quality of service tainted and they currently don't have an answer for it yet.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 6:41am On Aug 11, 2015
Well, in my own opinion, the present MD is not as effective as the former one. From Ikeja along to Sango UBA has 3 branches. First Bank has about 3 or more. Access has about 3 or more, Zenith has about 5.
But the orange bank has just one branch. Yet they have more customers more than all the banks mentioned above

1 Like

Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by kolokolobi(m): 11:08am On Aug 11, 2015
That's part of what I'm saying. Gtb was not meant to have such wide branch network. However the cbn rule that made account opening requirements a flat bed across all banks attracted a customer base gtb would not have considered. However people got drawn to gtb cos of an expected excellent customer experience which had filled the air. Now they can't cope with the crowd.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2015
kolokolobi:
That's part of what I'm saying. Gtb was not meant to have such wide branch network. However the cbn rule that made account opening requirements a flat bed across all banks attracted a customer base gtb would not have considered. However people got drawn to gtb cos of an expected excellent customer experience which had filled the air. Now they can't cope with the crowd.
So true
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by Addme: 5:35pm On Aug 11, 2015
kolokolobi:
greens:

So true
kolokolobi:
Again,their zero balance policies also attracted people to their bank especially the low income earners.
Re: Is Gtbank not loosing it? (photos) by greens(m): 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
Addme:
Again,their zero balance policies also attracted people to their bank especially the low income earners.

TRUE!

(1) (Reply)

Procedure For Getting UBA Mastercard / Consumer Protection Agency / Borehole Drilling Backed With Professional Expertise In Abuja!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.