Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,425 members, 7,819,548 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again (30222 Views)

Unbelievable!!! Naira Falls To N485/$1, N600/£1 / Naira Falls To N370 Per Dollar / Naira Falls To 325 On Dollar Shortage -punch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by ocelot2006(m): 8:57am On Aug 05, 2015
omowolewa:
Still experimenting, we must win the naira-battle. It shouldn't be a political affair.
Its not enough to criticize, recommend as you do.
CBN needs to take proactive steps. The era of invisible hands is gone, insider dealings and speculators' activity has made the theory less effective.

I think Barcanista proffered a number of possible solutions including setting limit caps on transactions in dollars like China.

2 Likes

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by islandmoon: 8:59am On Aug 05, 2015
you are playing economy game with the American? Naira VS USD? Nigerian Economist are learners.... I laugh in Swahili!! cheesy cheesy

you think this is corruption game or PS3 Game?

mind you! USD is Global currency that is universally accepted , its not naira and as long and Ghanian and people from other countries are still rushing in to buy the cheap USD in Nigeria as reported yesterday ,the decision of the CBN to restrict it will have no effect, if that must work , then you must be able to effectively secure your border against money laundery.
Nigeria border is the most porous border
!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Firefire(m): 9:00am On Aug 05, 2015
jaybee3:

The official rate is still N197 to the dollar so why are you wailing?

What doom has the volatility in parallel market rates done to the economy in real terms?

Why are you people celebrating the fall of dollar in the parallel market ?

Must you guys celebrate every thing aimlessly including the irrelevants ?
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Rexyl(m): 9:00am On Aug 05, 2015
The federal government has not been able to move in the right direction to strengthen Naira. Certain policies in the recent times are meant to catch attention and receive praises from people on impulse. If care is not taken serious economic crisis might be ahead. The government should stop kidding us on its economic policies.
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Pidggin(f): 9:02am On Aug 05, 2015
jaybee3:

When exactly did he make the promise

Provide a direct quote of him making that statement and receive N100K from moi

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/ (send my 100K through western union).

1 Like

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by repogirl(f): 9:03am On Aug 05, 2015
Kayendy:
I don't hv anyone to blame.... pple should stop panic buying and d dollar will fall well... dis is not a govt fault but sha Buhari promised us 1naira equals to 1dollar... still patiently waiting
and whose fault is it? Pls tell.

Nigerians are hopeless optimists.... praying and praying instead of doing the work hoping by some magic, things will easily fall into place.

How in the world is the Naira supposed to appreciate when the country's economy is currently down? Mtchewww!

1 Like

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by jaybee3(m): 9:06am On Aug 05, 2015
Pidggin:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/ (send my 100K through western union).

I asked for a direct quote not a misinterpretation of his words by the PDP propaganda machinery during the election campaign

According to the link you provided, this was the quote attributed to him:

It is sad that the value of the naira has dropped to more than N230 to one dollar; this does not speak well for the nation’s economy,’’ - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/#sthash.2bNFXcXy.dpuf

The offer is still on !

2 Likes

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AbdulHaram(m): 9:06am On Aug 05, 2015
Who is Barcanista? Come here and explain what happened to our naira before I send you bomb! angry angry angry
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by najoke: 9:08am On Aug 05, 2015
Pidggin:

Madam, I dont mean to be rude but u disappoint me......here is what he said....from the link you provided o!

“It is sad that the value of the naira has dropped to more than N230 to one dollar; this does not speak well for the nation’s economy,’

I will give another chance.....I am waiting for you Wailers to provide a link
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by jaybee3(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2015
Firefire:

Why are you people celebrating the fall of dollar in the parallel market ?

Must you guys celebrate every thing aimlessly including the irrelevants ?

Who are the you people?

I can understand why some of the APC supporters will celebrate the so called irrelevant that PDP supporters like yourself have continuously used to propagate PMB has a failure in his less than 100 days in office
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Ymodulus: 9:10am On Aug 05, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AbdulHaram(m): 9:12am On Aug 05, 2015
jaybee3:

When exactly did he make the promise

Provide a direct quote of him making that statement and receive N100K from moi

I sweeeear to Allah! Na when you no send me the money you go know my true name! angry angry angry angry angry angry

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by shinaf: 9:14am On Aug 05, 2015
grin
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AbdulHaram(m): 9:14am On Aug 05, 2015
najoke:

500k if any of the wailers can provide evidence of PMB making such statement

Bros, i get hot temper o! angry angry angry

You are here : Home » News » I’ll make Naira equal in value to dollar, says Buhari
I’ll make Naira equal in value to dollar, says Buhari

on March 23, 2015 / in News 8:31 pm / Comments

Owerri – The All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, on Monday said he would ensure that the Naira was equal to the dollar in value, if voted into office.

Buhari stated this during the South-East presidential rally of the party at Dan Anyima Stadium, Owerri.buhari-Naira

“It is sad that the value of the naira has dropped to more than N230 to one dollar; this does not speak well for the nation’s economy,’’ he said.

He urged the people to vote for APC, noting that he would ensure that corruption was tackled headlong if elected.

Earlier, Gov Rochas Okorocha had urged APC supporters to vote for the party’s candidates at all levels, noting that a vote for Buhari without support to others at the state would amount to nothing.

Okorocha said Buhari would address the problem of electricity, bring back the kidnapped Chibok girls and promote industrial growth.

He said that Buhari was loved by the people in the region and urged them to elect him and other APC candidates during the March 28 and April 11 general elections.

Former governor of Anambra, Mr Chinwoke Mbadinuju and former Minister of Education, Chinwe Obaji, were formally welcomed to the APC at the rally.
- See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/#sthash.ia2qMzDj.dpuf

2 Likes

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by VNOS(m): 9:14am On Aug 05, 2015
INTROVERT:
Barcanista must be a prophet. grin grin grin

I pray naira comes back to 160 170 sha coz my business is being affected.
grin wink

Without being too specific, what kinda business are u into? If i may ask just out of curiosity
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AbdulHaram(m): 9:15am On Aug 05, 2015
Where's that yeye boy called Barcanista? Come and explain now! angry
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by April4th(m): 9:15am On Aug 05, 2015
INTROVERT:
Barcanista must be a prophet. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I pray tomorrow we will wake up and it's 170 again

U took d words right out of my mouth maam,I remember several people castigating him and calling him a wailer when he tried to enlighten them of the problems that will arise from the CBN/banks rejecting FCY deposits. He's been vindicated barely 24hrs after that write up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by jamesharryson(m): 9:16am On Aug 05, 2015
When I talked on this issue about the CBN's policy, almost all APC media lords wanted to skin me alive. Now can you see what am saw (in Zebrudaya's voice) I laugh in swahili. Good morning to the giant of Africa with dwarf leaders)

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AZeD1(m): 9:16am On Aug 05, 2015
ocelot2006:

I think Barcanista proffered a number of possible solutions including setting limit caps on transactions in dollars like China.
A country that imports like Nigeria should copy an exporting country like China?
By the way, the Chinese government actually manipulates its currency to keep it low.

1 Like

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by major466(m): 9:16am On Aug 05, 2015
arsetalks:
Some saying Barcanista must be a prophet, prophet of what? Prophet of doom? If you know use your brains you will know the sudden decline and appreciation are all artificial. It is created the mallams for their own gain.

Curiously Barcanista and co have refused to debate why the naira fell from 154 at the beginning of the last quarter of 2014 to 200+ the retardeen left it.
Fall in world oil prices is the major cause of Naira's depreciation.

2 Likes

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Ymodulus: 9:16am On Aug 05, 2015
soe:

Hello...can we please be reasonable here.

The United States is not running a stagnant economy...their currency value would definitely rise and fall at some points...the influence of a capitalist economy cannot be over-ruled.

On the other hand, what we are doing is to have a nation that is less dependent on the US economy, Mynd44 had asked a very salient question yesterday for which no one could answer.

he asked, Why did the Naira fall so badly from 160 to 200 in 2014/2015 ? If you can answer that, then we can reason with your cock and bull theory

The answer is so simple. A number of factors contribute to the rise or fall of a country's currency; We have the stock market/foreign investments, tourism and international trade. But basically, and speaking in lay man terms, if you have more people replacing their currencies with your currency, then your currency will rise in value. If you have more people dealing in your currency than their currency, then your value will rise. Sadly as the reverse implies, if you have more people dumping your own currency for the other currency, your value will nose dive.

If you look at the above relation, you will notice that it all falls back to a demand/supply chain rule, but not explicitly.

The only back door approach to a rise/fall currency value is the so called "de-valuation or denomination" of the currency which has to do with the Central Bank physically reducing the supply of your own currency so as to make it seem as though it is scarce again.

So what do you think happened in 2014/2015, Corrupt polithiefians knew it was the season of campaign and stealing and stashing and looting. It was the season to keep monies at home. They all withdrew in USDollars and replaced our Naira with Dollars. So, the dollar became increasingly more sought in our local market, almost competing with the Naira. Hence the crash of the Naira in the local (black) market.

What CBN is doing now, as part of the change program, is to force the polithiefians to return to the need and use of Naira and dispose their ill gotten USDollars stashed in their personal and underground vaults. The moment USDollars is not acceptable to our local banks. That will reverse the 2014/2015 trend and restore the Naira value to 160.

But as I said...the US Govt. has an economy to run also, and until we successfully reduce the dependency of our economy on theirs, our Naira value will also rise and fall intermittently....the good news however is that the USDollars is no longer competing with the NAIRA in our loal market...we are shifting the battle back to the International FOREX MARKET

Mynd44 raised salient questions which were ignored by barcanista, I was waiting for barca to reply and he avoided such.

Am surprised many are saying barca predicted. He never did. He gave solutions and analysis some of which I disagreed and I agreed to his final conclusion
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Laredojohn(m): 9:18am On Aug 05, 2015
It was anticipated, all d so called cbn policies are not done in d right manner to stabilize the naira....they should just try to make things ok with d currency it's seriously affecting business...
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by jaybee3(m): 9:20am On Aug 05, 2015
AbdulHaram:

I sweeeear to Allah! Na when you no send me the money you go know my true name! angry angry angry angry angry angry

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/

jaybee3:

I asked for a direct quote not a misinterpretation of his words by the PDP propaganda machinery during the election campaign

According to the link you provided, this was the quote attributed to him:

It is sad that the value of the naira has dropped to more than N230 to one dollar; this does not speak well for the nation’s economy,’’ - See more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/03/ill-make-naira-equal-in-value-to-dollar-says-buhari/#sthash.2bNFXcXy.dpuf

The offer is still on !

Leave Allah out of this

I asked for a direct quote!

1 Like

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AbdulHaram(m): 9:21am On Aug 05, 2015
jaybee3:

Leave Allah out of this

I asked for a direct quote!
Mtcheew! You don't have the money! So Vanguard and ThisDay are liars? angry angry
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by crystalzoe: 9:21am On Aug 05, 2015
MizMyColi:
[size=14pt]*faints*[/size]

*sprinkles holy water on her*
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Firefire(m): 9:22am On Aug 05, 2015
jaybee3:

Who are the you people?

I can understand why some of the APC supporters will celebrate the so called irrelevant that PDP supporters like yourself have continuously used to propagate PMB has a failure in his less than 100 days in office

If you people (APC brainless supporters) continue like this, I fear for the 1001 Buhari campaign promises.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by MizMyColi(f): 9:22am On Aug 05, 2015
grin
crystalzoe:

*sprinkles holy water on her*
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by mickey45: 9:24am On Aug 05, 2015
INTROVERT:
Barcanista must be a prophet. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I pray tomorrow we will wake up and it's 170 again

I'm forced to agree with his former conclusions too but not necessarily with all of his analysis.

But I'm inclined to think even this upswing you're seeing will be short-lived.

What's still at play here are mainly people's emotions cum sentiments. Not necessarily pure economics.

If CBN keeps to this for considerable time, speculation will become less attractive and significant need based dollar demand shd make the dollar have to bottom again although gently this time around.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by jaybee3(m): 9:27am On Aug 05, 2015
Firefire:

If you people (APC brainless supporters) continue like this, I fear for the 1001 Buhari campaign promises.

Some of his campaign promises are election gimmicks and he will certainly be held to them but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be measured with an aggregated coefficient score of economic and quality of life indices within appropriate time periods

You can't be shouting murder when he has barely started.

It's plain ridiculous!
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by AbdulHaram(m): 9:27am On Aug 05, 2015
Firefire:

1001 - 21 = ?
angry
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by Ahmeduana(m): 9:28am On Aug 05, 2015
RichDad1:
He's just a prophet of doom that will be shamed very soon.
ENU LO WA YEN!
Re: In Dramatic Reversal , Naira Falls To N235/$1 Again by cashreport: 9:28am On Aug 05, 2015
[size=20pt] Barcanista is spending time doing research and should be given an ADMIN or MODERATOR position here on nairaland [/size]

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Raises Import Duties On Luxury Goods, Food Items That Have Local Alternatives / Forbes: Dangote’s Wealth Dips By $2b, Adenuga‘s Up By $3.9b / Payday: Nigerian Favour Ori Breaks Record In Rwanda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.