Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities (4784 Views)

Middle Belt, Northern Minorities Seek 12 Regions, 54 States / The Unknown Victims Ethnic Minorities 1967-1970. / OPINION: Why Ethnic Minorities May Suffer If Biafran Republic Is Achieved. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by phyllosilicate(m): 12:19pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

Stop Foaming in the moth.
The Edos in this context, refers to the Binis and not the state as a whole, while the Etsakos are the Auchi, Agenebode, people.
You are calling my region brown roof, What does the capital of Edo state look like, if not poo....
that guy is an Igbo boy, check his profile. By the way I demand a apology for insulting my ancient city.

3 Likes

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:22pm On Aug 05, 2015
cheruv:

That's true oo shocked thanks for pointing that out smiley
Bia scholes,the name Edo consist of
1]Bini.. as the largest
2]Urhobo or Sobo as we Igbos call them
3]Esan/Ishan
4]Isoko
5]Afenmai which include the etsako,akokoedo and others in the northern fringes of Edo state.

According to your map,when did Jekiri & Galla turn into yoloba
Moreover Jekiri was formed through interaction from the Ijoid,Edoid & Yoruboid peoples with the Ijoids having the greatest share yet your people wants to claim them.. undecided
Some parts of igala have been igbonized..so I'd not suggest you coopt them into your "Yorubosphere" tongue
Seriously scholes I thought you were learned..based on our arguments the other side but it seems you're one of those brown roof goons loitering about cheesy

I understand, but that is a map of language groups not ethnicities.
As you can see, nupe is written in Ebira spot because the language is in the nupe family
And Urhobos, Esans, Etsako etc are all labelled 'Edo"

2 Likes

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2015
phyllosilicate:
that guy is an Igbo boy, check his profile. By the way I demand a apology for insulting my ancient city.

Apology tendered.
now, here is a real Edo man talking....

2 Likes

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by phyllosilicate(m): 12:23pm On Aug 05, 2015
cheruv:

That's true oo shocked thanks for pointing that out smiley
Bia scholes,the name Edo consist of
1]Bini.. as the largest
2]Urhobo or Sobo as we Igbos call them
3]Esan/Ishan
4]Isoko
5]Afenmai which include the etsako,akokoedo and others in the northern fringes of Edo state.

According to your map,when did Jekiri & Galla turn into yoloba
Moreover Jekiri was formed through interaction from the Ijoid,Edoid & Yoruboid peoples with the Ijoids having the greatest share yet your people wants to claim them.. undecided
Some parts of igala have been igbonized..so I'd not suggest you coopt them into your "Yorubosphere" tongue
Seriously scholes I thought you were learned..based on our arguments the other side but it seems you're one of those brown roof goons loitering about cheesy
what are you saying, Edo refers to the Benis mainly. It sometimes used to refer to all the people of Edo state.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

"The Afemai are also known as the Afenmai, Etsako, Estakor, Iyekhee,[1] or Yekhee people....
Quoted from the Afemai Wiki page.
On the other hand, there are no peoples regarded as Yekhee or Etsako in the other non-Etsako LGAs of Edo North, that Afemai people are said to occupy. Such as owan East and Owan West.....
Anyways try and answer the questions if you can, and stop loosing your temper over nothing.
to prove both you and wiki wrong, do you know that Iyekhee is in Auchi? A sub group in auchi.
According to legends, the Iyekhee people migrated from Ibie.

Once again Etsako is not a Tribe.
It's a geographica epression, just like Enugu and Anambra.
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by YonkijiSappo: 12:24pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:

Shebi u know say most of those landmass in north are Deserts Inhabitable ?

No, most of the landmass in the north is not desert. It is savannah.
Have you even been there?

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:28pm On Aug 05, 2015
phyllosilicate:
what are you saying, Edo refers to the Benis mainly. It sometimes used to refer to all the people of Edo state.

Exactly what I was trying to tell him
the Edos and Binis are used interchangeably
It is also the name of the State. but there are other subgroups there within, such as the Etsakos/Yekhees, Esans, Unemes, Owans Etc.. All fall under the 'Edoid" family of languages...

2 Likes

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:28pm On Aug 05, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

No, most of the landmass in the north is not desert. It is savannah. Have you even been there?
Yeah Thanks for the correction
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by phyllosilicate(m): 12:31pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

It is also the name of the State. but there are other subgroups there within, such as the Etsakos/Yekhees, Esans, Unemes, Owans Etc.. All fall under the 'Edoid" family of languages...
how come you know all those?
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:31pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

It is also the name of the State. but there are other subgroups there within, such as the [s]Etsakos/Yekhees, Esans, Unemes, Owans Etc[/s].. All fall under the 'Edoid" family of languages...
you know nothing about anything in Edo tbh.

www.etsakoprogressive.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=64

The Name of the tribe is Afemai and not Etsako
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by cheruv: 12:32pm On Aug 05, 2015
phyllosilicate:
Is it ewuare or eweka I can't remember the particular one that renamed igodomigodo to Edo.. The golden state. It reminds me of those Chinese dynasty stuff cheesy
But on the flip side,they're all Edoids! angry

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:33pm On Aug 05, 2015
phyllosilicate:
he knows prolly nothing about what he is writing about.
Btw which part of Edo are from?
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:33pm On Aug 05, 2015
phyllosilicate:

From Academic and personal experiences.
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:36pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:

www.etsakoprogressive.org/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=64

Tell that to the ETSAKO progressive union.
The ETSAKO PEOPLE are a part of the group of people, collectively known as the AFEMAIS..... the Afenmai as a whole also includes other ethnic groups that are mostly found in the Edo North Senatorial Zone.

The people of Etsako were said to have moved out of Benin in the 15th Century A.D. Their departure from Benin was said to have been precipitated by the hash and draconian rule of Oba of Benin at the time
I know you are surprised that you are being schooled about issues concerning your own state, but I take no glory for the knowledge I have impacted on you this breezy afternoon.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by phyllosilicate(m): 12:39pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:

He is right, I am from Owan.

4 Likes

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:41pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

Tell that to the ETSAKO progressive union.
The ETSAKO PEOPLE are a part of the group of people, collectively known as the AFEMAIS..... the Afenmai as a whole also includes other ethnic groups that are mostly found in the Edo North Senatorial Zone.
I know you are surprised that you are being schooled about issues concerning your own state, but I take no glory for the knowledge I have impacted on you this breezy afternoon.
1st of all, stop twisting what they documented to you sactisfaction.
Afemai is a tribe, they even got divided and some of them are in akoko edo and not in the Etasako LGA (which is the largest concentration of the afemai people), you also ignored the fact that The Afemai nationality is
comprised of the Akoko Edo’s, the Owan’s and the Etsako people. These people occupies the northern part of Edo State, hence they are commonly called “Edo North”.

Next time dig deep before you post trash
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by YonkijiSappo: 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:

Yeah
Thanks for the correction

You are welcome. At least you heeded correction.
Anyways, I would have loved to answer the questions of this thread.... But I don't belong to an ethnic minority....so....
I will just keep observing all the ruckus. ...

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:
1st of all afemai is the tribe, they even got divided and some of them are in akoko edo and not in the Etasako LGA (which is the largest concentration of the afemai people), you also ignored the fact that The Afemai nationality is
comprised of the Akoko Edo’s, the Owan’s and the Etsako people. These people occupies the northern part of Edo State, hence they are commonly called “Edo North”.

Next time dig deep before you post trash

Etsako is an Ethnic group gazetted in the list of Nigerian ethnic groups.
Afemai is NOT.

if Afemai is an Ethnic group, Oya tell me the language that the Afemai ethnic group speaks.... Tha is understood from Igarra to Agenebode and Afuze.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2015
YonkijiSappo:

You are welcome. At least you heeded correction.
Anyways, I would have loved to answer the questions of this thread.... But I don't belong to an ethnic minority....so....
I will just keep observing all the ruckus. ...
I ain't from there either but i share their blood tho.
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2015
cheruv:

Is it ewuare or eweka I can't remember the particular one that renamed igodomigodo to Edo.. The golden state. It reminds me of those Chinese dynasty stuff cheesy
But on the flip side,they're all Edoids! angry

The funny part is that I don't even really understand the point he is trying to pass accross or iron out.
Maybe i should just agree that he is right, so that he can sleep well this night.

2 Likes

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by IsraeliAIRFORCE: 12:56pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

Afemai is NOT.

if Afemai is an Ethnic group, Oya tell me the language that the Afemai ethnic group speaks.... Tha is understood from Igarra to Agenebode and Afuze.

Ethnic group is conglomerate of tribes.

Ethnic group may consist of different languages or better called dialects.

A tribe is not called ethnic group
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

Afemai is NOT.

they speak yekhee and agbelo.
Btw what is spoken in afuze is barely understandable by the people in okpella.

The village afuze means, Village of Axe, but it means something else in akoko edo and okpella
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 1:01pm On Aug 05, 2015
IsraeliAIRFORCE:

Ethnic group is conglomerate of tribes.

Ethnic group may consist of different languages or better called dialects.

A tribe is not called ethnic group

depends on how you want to look at it.
I can also consider what you just said, and group everybody in the state into 1 single ethnic group, the EDO ethnic group. Speaking EDOID languages.
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 1:04pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

depends on how you want to look at it.
I can also consider what you just said, and group everybody in the state into 1 single ethnic group, the EDO ethnic group. Speaking EDOID languages.
Before you group them as one, you should ask yourself if they had same Ancestor.

Ppl in Bini believe in Ogun (God of Iron) and ppl in Auchi believes in Olle (God of water)
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 1:05pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:
they speak yekhee and agbelo.
Btw what is spoken in afuze is barely understandable by the people in okpella.

The village afuze means, Village of Axe, but it means something else in akoko edo and okpella

loool that is two languages already.
Mind you, no one in Uzebba or Sobe, or Ibillo even speaks those languages.
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 1:08pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

loool that is two languages already.
Mind you, no one in Uzebba or Sobe, or Ibillo even speaks those languages.
those are the two languages that is spoken in afemia land that is not influenced with other ethnic group's language
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 1:11pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:
Before you group them as one, you should ask yourself if they had same Ancestor.

Ppl in Bini believe in Ogun (God of Iron) and ppl in Auchi believes in Olle (God of water)

Bro, we are saying the same thing.
The definition of ethnic group is fluid, but depending on how tight you want the defining circle to be, the ethnic group can get larger or smaller. The Illajes believe in Ayilala, The Ekitis have never even heard of what that is..... but they are all Yoruba, by virtue or language.
All people in Edo state speak Edoid languages, and share a large set of common values and beliefs.... I believe Benin also ties all of them together in history...... hence they can be grouped together.
that was why I said definitions can vary, depending on the factors being considered.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 1:16pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

Bro, we are saying the same thing.
The definition of ethnic group is fluid, but depending on how tight you want the defining circle to be, the ethnic group can get larger or smaller. The Illajes believe in Ayilala, The Ekitis have never even heard of what that is..... but they are all Yoruba, by virtue or language.
All people in Edo state speak Edoid languages, and share a large set of common values and beliefs.... I believe Benin also ties all of them together in history...... hence they can be grouped together.
that was why I said definitions can vary, depending on the factors being considered.
You claimed ETSAKO is a tribe which is not true.
Etsako is just Local Government Area and not a tribe.
The group of people that habitate that local goverment area are Afemai.

It's just like saying Igbo starts and End in SE
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by martineverest(m): 1:17pm On Aug 05, 2015
Mullatoclaro 2,epa i domo u
spanishkid:
I rep Oriohimwon LGA of Edo state. Pure Bini with a mixture of Spanish blood.
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by scholes0(m): 1:18pm On Aug 05, 2015
Vicotex:
You claimed ETSAKO is a tribe which is not true.
Etsako is jus Local Government Area not a tribe.
The group of people that habitate that local goverment area are Afemai.

Ok then, Afemais of Etsako....
Happy now? cheesy

Oya, Answer the questions o..... You can't have talked this much, and not answer the original questions of the thread.

1 Like

Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by Vicotex(m): 1:23pm On Aug 05, 2015
scholes0:

Ok then, Afemais of Etsako....
Happy now? cheesy

Oya, Answer the questions o..... You can't have talked this much, and not answer the original questions of the thread.
lol
Am an Igboman (my dad if from Ebonyi nd mom from Edo), so i can't speak for the lesser groups (minorities).
Was just here to read people opinion when i spoted the Etasko line
Re: The Thread For Nigerian Ethnic Minorities by melzabull(f): 1:29pm On Aug 05, 2015
AbuMaryam1:
What we have in Nigeria of today is block of tribes, the Hausa Yoruba and middle belt has form an ally, against Igbo and South - south. Soon their will be rebellion from Deltans after the appointment of their son as head of Nnpc considering bashing from Igbo nation. interest can be change at any time, Igbos feel oppressed and marginalised now, in the future if the clock goes anti clockwise another tribe will be crying fowl. Learn politics it won't hurts you when you are at the receiving end. Igbo kwenu.
where did you get that from? pls show us. This lie that you people are trying to impress on gullible people wont work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Senators Kick Against Saraki’s Removal, Rebuff Oshiomhole / Shocking State IGR Reports Contrary To Popular Belief. / Lekki Massacre:: Listen To Tinubu Absolve Himself From The Massacre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.