Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari (549 Views)

Hate Speech, Fake News And National Unity – Lai Mohammed / Southern Leaders Meet In Lagos Over National Unity / Nigeria's Unity: Buhari Is Dividing Nigeria More Than IPOB And NDA (2) (3) (4)

We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by metroparrot: 7:44pm On Aug 05, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari has pledged that his administration will take all necessary actions to maintain and improve the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme as functional vehicle for the promotion of national unity and integration.

Buhari gave the assurance after receiving briefing from officials of the Federal Ministry of Youth Development, led by the Permanent Secretary, Mrs Rabi Jimeta.

The President affirmed his confidence and trust in the scheme, saying that the objective for which the scheme was established in 1973 was still very relevant for national development.

He said: “I firmly believe in NYSC and I think it should remain a national programme to promote integration.

“Whenever I go home to Daura, I look out for corps members from Lagos, Aba and other parts of the country.

“I am always thrilled to learn that except for the NYSC, some of them have never left their states of origin to visit other cities in the country,.”

Jimeta had informed the President that the increasing number of NYSC members was a challenge to the scheme due to dwindling revenue from the national budget to cater for their needs.

She also told the President that the annual enrolement of corps participants had increased from 2,364 at inception in 1974 to 229,016 in 2014.

She added that “Given the increasing number of tertiary institutions, our projection is that the number of participants may rise to
300,000 by year 2020.”

The Director-General of NYSC, Brig.-Gen. Johnson Olawumi, also told the President that there were plans to make the scheme voluntary so as to reduce the corps population and sustain it. (NAN)

www.metronaija.com/2015/08/we-will-maintain-nysc-for-national.html

cc: lalasticlala ishilove
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by metroparrot: 7:44pm On Aug 05, 2015
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Abugab(m): 7:45pm On Aug 05, 2015
Should be maintained as my experience with NYSC still helpful till date.
Strong tool for national unity but safety and welfare must be given priority attentions.
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Nobody: 7:45pm On Aug 05, 2015
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by not4sure(m): 7:46pm On Aug 05, 2015
Yes but the scheme needs reform
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by freecocoahubby(m): 7:47pm On Aug 05, 2015
[deleted]
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by kossyablaze(m): 7:48pm On Aug 05, 2015
Great!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Omotayor123(f): 7:50pm On Aug 05, 2015
Good to hear..
Make me sef follow serve Abeg grin
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Uncleodi(m): 7:56pm On Aug 05, 2015
Why is the April 2015 Nigerian law school examination results not out?

They keep postponing the release of the results keeping a lot of students in morbid tension.

We want change, not delay. Haba!!

Pls the relevant authorities should look into this as a matter of urgency.
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Trailblazer1(m): 7:57pm On Aug 05, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by bamidele029: 7:59pm On Aug 05, 2015
Smart idea to make it voluntary
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Nobody: 8:00pm On Aug 05, 2015
Please increase the allowance for national unity too.smiley
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by illmatic101(m): 8:04pm On Aug 05, 2015
PMB should apologize publicly first to Nigerians and the parents of those corp members that his supporters (wanking Zombies) butchered during the 2011 electoral violence before mentioning N.....Y.....S.....C

Remember, APC supporters, butchering, and Zombies(the wanking type) have something in common
Re: We Will Maintain NYSC For National Unity – Buhari by Young03(m): 8:17pm On Aug 05, 2015
hmm..old man talk

If Telling Buhari The Truth Makes Someone A Wailer I AM ONE / Former DIA Chief Says Rise Of Islamic State Was A Willful Decision / Boko Haram 3 Months Deadline: New NSA, Service Chiefs Storm Borno