Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:01 AM

Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch (1098 Views)

2019 Presidency: North Rules Out Blanket Support For Buhari.. / Melaye Calls For The Scrapping Of "State Of Origin" As A Political Requirement / Drama Trails Scrapping Of First Lady Titles, Offices In States-Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by ishowdotgmail(m): 4:48am On Aug 06, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday ruled out the possibility of scrapping the National Youth Service Corps as being suggested in some quarters.

This was just as the NYSC management was considering the option of making the scheme voluntary in order to reduce the intake of corps members.

There had been calls for the scrapping of the scheme since the outbreak of insurgency in parts of the country.

Insurgency had claimed the lives of some corps members in the northern parts of the country.

Proponents of the scrapping of the scheme had been arguing that the NYSC had outlived its usefulness.

But a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, quoted Buhari as pledging that his administration would take all necessary actions to maintain and improve the scheme as a functional vehicle for the promotion of national unity and integration.

Adesina said the President gave the assurance after receiving a briefing from officials of the Ministry of Youth Development led by the Permanent Secretary of the ministry, Mrs. Rabi Jimeta.

The President was said to have affirmed his confidence and trust in the programme, saying that the objective for which the scheme was established in 1973 was still very relevant for national development.

“I firmly believe in the NYSC and I think it should remain a national programme to promote integration.

“Whenever I go home to Daura, I look out for corps members from Lagos, Aba and other parts of the country.

“I am always thrilled to learn that except for the NYSC, some of them have never left their states of origin to visit other cities in the country,” the President told the ministry’s officials.

Jimeta told the President that the increasing number of NYSC participants posed a challenge to the scheme due to the dwindling revenue from the national budget to cater for their needs.

She told the President that the annual enrolment of participants in the scheme had increased from 2,364 at inception in 1974 to 229,016 in 2014.

“Given the increasing number of tertiary institutions, our projection is that the number of corps participants may rise to 300,000 by year 2020,’’ she said.

Adesina also quoted the Director General of the NYSC, Brig.-Gen. Johnson Olawumi, as telling the President that there were plans to make the scheme voluntary.

This, he said, Adewunmi explained was meant to reduce the corps population in order to make the programme more sustainable

http://www.punchng.com/news/buhari-rules-out-scrapping-of-nysc-scheme-2/

Cc:Lalasticlala
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Generalkorex(m): 4:53am On Aug 06, 2015
Ok
buhari should nt scrap it o.
They can make it a voluntary service

kindly check my thread
https://www.nairaland.com/2483122/how-join-red-cross-society
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Demmocrats(m): 4:56am On Aug 06, 2015
Nysc should end

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Nobody: 5:01am On Aug 06, 2015
Generalkorex:
Ok
buhari should nt scrap it o.
They can make it involuntary service
à
kindly check my thread
https://www.nairaland.com/2483122/how-join-red-cross-society

Voluntary you mean ?
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Generalkorex(m): 5:06am On Aug 06, 2015
Yungwizzzy:

Voluntary you mean ?

chai remove d in
na sleep still dey my faceface
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Nobody: 5:06am On Aug 06, 2015
Mallams always love central control of everyone's existence. Na poverty go end am. $40 a barrel oil coming up.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Dominionhost(m): 5:06am On Aug 06, 2015
The needful should be done
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by TheUmmah: 5:07am On Aug 06, 2015
They should scrap this trash that just breeds corruption, laziness and prostitution! It has outlived its usefulness and the job placements are of no benefit to the corps members except connected ones! Its better we send our youths on some sort of year long military service so that they can form the bedrock of an alternative type of army and so that they can gain new skills and discipline! This program is dead!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by prof17(m): 5:08am On Aug 06, 2015
Had it been nigerians leaders mean well for their youths, this scheme would have been an avenue to empower people and also reduce unemployment

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Mustack: 5:16am On Aug 06, 2015
Demmocrats:
Nysc should end
after you don collect your own alawee (national cake). soo you no want ppl like we to collect our own abi.
bad bele ppl.

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Demmocrats(m): 5:20am On Aug 06, 2015
Mustack:

after you don collect your own alawee (national cake). soo you no want ppl like we to collect our own abi.
bad bele ppl.

Lol bro nysc is not easy when you get there you will understand

1 Like

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 06, 2015
Generalkorex:

chai remove d in na sleep still dey my faceface
I noticed
Good morning bro
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Generalkorex(m): 5:33am On Aug 06, 2015
Yungwizzzy:

I noticed

Good morning bro
morning bro
how was ur night?
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Kingkamal(m): 5:54am On Aug 06, 2015
Noted, is a good idea to scrap it, nowadays most of the corps are even staying at home and arrange with there L.I if allowee comes there share it. And those L.I are really corrupt.

We say NO to NYSC for the next generation.

Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by babyfaceafrica: 6:15am On Aug 06, 2015
Nysc should not be scrapped,it fosters national unity,there are places I won't hve been to if not for service and some languages I wouldn't comprehend,but I think it needs serious reforms..and I know PMB can do that
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by thegoodone2(m): 6:18am On Aug 06, 2015
They should reform it. 1. let them b training how to use gun and after the training they should give them license to enable them to buy gun. 2. They should b given them some reasonable amount after the programme. 3. The civil service may reduce the service year of workers to 50 years to give other chance. 4. If you dont go for NYSC it mean no government work for such peaple.,
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by muhyeenisce(m): 6:22am On Aug 06, 2015
NYSC must continue oooooo because me2 wan chop alawee by 2018 alawee go don carry weight that kind 48000 osho baba still de beg make dem increase minimum wage..so tell me why. I go want make dem no kontinu
Re: Buhari Rules Out Scrapping Of NYSC Scheme-punch by Critiqual(m): 9:22pm On Jun 04, 2016
Only an undergraduate wont want it to stop. NYSC is a waste of time. It has not helped any form of unity. Nah nah.

(1) (Reply)

Plateau State Government Secures 9.5billion Naira Loan To Pay Salaries / It Is Time For Abubaka Abdulsalami To Stay Home And Allow Our Preside Do His Job / See What Owelle Rochas Okorocha Did, That Youths Have Been Talking About

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.