Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,700 members, 7,809,651 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth (21963 Views)

Viper Snake Killed Near Corpers' Lodge In Anambra (Photos) / My Near Death Experience / See The Grammatical Blunder Of The Nigerian Police Force (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by naturalwaves: 10:12pm On Aug 29, 2015
OP finished from Funaab. I really detest the Nigerian Police Force. In 2008 or thereabout,there was a day I got stopped by two policemen in front of a police station, they asked for my phone, I was searched and one of them brought out my mobile phone and started scrolling through my directories obviously looking for a foreign number so he could tag me as a "yahoo boy", he found none. By this time I was already getting furious at the stupidity of our police force cos I couldn't imagine how having a foreign number stored on one's phone automatically translates to being a fraudster. They paused for a while and asked....who you be? Identify yourself? Wey your I'd card? Thank God my mum insisted I take my I'd along before I left the house so, I had something to show them otherwise,probably I would have been tagged an armed robber and dragged into the station. Now, the moment they saw it was a student identity card, they came up with another infuriating remark. One of them said..."So, na you kill lecturer?" (Before that week, there had been a trending issue about a murdered lecturer). At that moment, I was about insulting him before I remembered how we have been warned at home never to argue with a man with a gun so, I chilled. He then said again "no be you kill lecturer?". I gently replied "No be me kill lecturer" and then I was given my card and my phone back and the other one said "just dey go", oya, dey go". Anytime I remember that incident, I feel so bad about the way a force that's supposed to protect us fabricates so much lies on innocent people. My friend's experience with SARS is worse (will share later); the kondo he got on his head from that encounter is yet to disappear after almost a year.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by KMVBO(m): 10:45pm On Aug 29, 2015
We're waiting o.
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by Nobody: 10:56pm On Aug 29, 2015
Omotayor123:
Sorry OP...

Na wah for we Naija Police ooo.

See as your breastt sharp like yam tuber,go sweet suck die
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by damiloladuke: 11:03pm On Aug 29, 2015
mykemiley:
Op so wetin cum happen again na after u c d human stool?

did u read at all?
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by poseidon12: 12:22am On Aug 30, 2015
It's disheartening to hear about some terrible things our police do to innocent people. But I wonder why people do not try to put in complaints to appropriate quarters.
If I experience this type of atrocity, as soon as I am free and I am able to recognize the culprits or their police station, I will go straight to the Area Commander, or to the Commissioner's office. Usually, the higher up the officer, the more reasonable they are.
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by mykemiley(f): 2:24am On Aug 30, 2015
damiloladuke:
did u read at all?
I read alllllllllll, I no c part 4
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by Originalsly: 5:18am On Aug 30, 2015
@OP.....I am not easily impressed...and my comments made many conclude that I have bad mouth. You may not realize it..... but you are a very good story teller.... you have a knack ...a natural talent for writing... the talent that makes authors popular and famous. A thousand persons can go experience the same at the hands of the police ...write about it..but would never make it so interesting, so entertaining and yet not lose sight of the injustice you went through. I am more than impressed....work on developing and marketing your talent.
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by abiolag(m): 9:57am On Aug 30, 2015
Hmhmhm
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by rose4flower(f): 2:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
meforyou1:
this is a horrible story. Sorry o. Don't even know what to say. So angry
Thanks Jare me4you it was really horrible anyway we are married now & we use to joke it abt frm Dat day my hubby hate policemen he said if he has d chance to no d house if d police Dat slapped him he will go & look 4 him & teach him a lesson he wil neva forget he said it's only when dey are on uniform & wit gun dey use to prove dey are commando

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by lekjons(m): 11:47pm On Aug 30, 2015
[quote author=damiloladuke post=36679289][/quote]nice story, holla at me when u get some more.
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by SmartMugu: 11:49pm On Aug 30, 2015
naturalwaves:
OP finished from Funaab. I really detest the Nigerian Police Force. In 2008 or thereabout,there was a day I got stopped by two policemen in front of a police station, they asked for my phone, I was searched and one of them brought out my mobile phone and started scrolling through my directories obviously looking for a foreign number so he could tag me as a "yahoo boy", he found none. By this time I was already getting furious at the stupidity of our police force cos I couldn't imagine how having a foreign number stored on one's phone automatically translates to being a fraudster. They paused for a while and asked....who you be? Identify yourself? Wey your I'd card? Thank God my mum insisted I take my I'd along before I left the house so, I had something to show them otherwise,probably I would have been tagged an armed robber and dragged into the station. Now, the moment they saw it was a student identity card, they came up with another infuriating remark. One of them said..."So, na you kill lecturer?" (Before that week, there had been a trending issue about a murdered lecturer). At that moment, I was about insulting him before I remembered how we have been warned at home never to argue with a man with a gun so, I chilled. He then said again "no be you kill lecturer?". I gently replied "No be me kill lecturer" and then I was given my card and my phone back and the other one said "just dey go", oya, dey go". Anytime I remember that incident, I feel so bad about the way a force that's supposed to protect us fabricates so much lies on innocent people. My friend's experience with SARS is worse (will share later); the kondo he got on his head from that encounter is yet to disappear after almost a year.

I had a similar experience. I had three laptops in the trunk of a car I was in. My friend was driving and we got pulled over. They asked us to pop the trunk so they could search. Obviously, they found the laptops. Next, they were asking for the receipts for each laptop. I didn't have any receipts, I've had those laptops for some time and they were actually intended to be gifts when I visited Naija.

Next, officer would be like " A bank in this area was robbed a few days ago, two people were killed and a few items,including 3 laptops were stolen. The description of the laptops are same as the ones they just found in the car, and that I looked like one of their most wanted suspects. I was thinking "does this man have the entire police database in his head, or how does he know the specs of the laptops stolen from the bank or if he was lying. I knew he was lying.
I had experienced similar stories with them before, I had nothing to do with whatever he was talking about.

Fortunately, earlier that day I was at a bar somewhere in Festac. About 10 police officers came in there and we were all drinking together. I had ended up buying some of them drinks and they had exchanged numbers with me and told me to call them whenever I had any issues with police. So, I called one of them right at the spot. He asked to talk to the officer. I had no idea what they talked about, but the officer's tone changed afterwards. "So, you're just going to leave with all these exhibits without leaving something for the boys".
I knew that was his problem. My friend ended up giving him some change and we were free.

1 Like

Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by naturalwaves: 4:27pm On Sep 20, 2015
SmartMugu:

I had a similar experience. I had three laptops in the trunk of a car I was in. My friend was driving and we got pulled over. They asked us to pop the trunk so they could search. Obviously, they found the laptops. Next, they were asking for the receipts for each laptop. I didn't have any receipts, I've had those laptops for some time and they were actually intended to be gifts when I visited Naija.

Next, officer would be like " A bank in this area was robbed a few days ago, two people were killed and a few items,including 3 laptops were stolen. The description of the laptops are same as the ones they just found in the car, and that I looked like one of their most wanted suspects. I was thinking "does this man have the entire police database in his head, or how does he know the specs of the laptops stolen from the bank or if he was lying. I knew he was lying.
I had experienced similar stories with them before, I had nothing to do with whatever he was talking about.

Fortunately, earlier that day I was at a bar somewhere in Festac. About 10 police officers came in there and we were all drinking together. I had ended up buying some of them drinks and they had exchanged numbers with me and told me to call them whenever I had any issues with police. So, I called one of them right at the spot. He asked to talk to the officer. I had no idea what they talked about, but the officer's tone changed afterwards. "So, you're just going to leave with all these exhibits without leaving something for the boys".
I knew that was his problem. My friend ended up giving him some change and we were free.
I seriously don't know the way forward for NPF,it is so sad. Maybe it will get better ehen the police force strictly takes in only graduates and not some illiterates.
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by SmartMugu: 4:39pm On Sep 20, 2015
naturalwaves:

I seriously don't know the way forward for NPF,it is so sad. Maybe it will get better ehen the police force strictly takes in only graduates and not some illiterates.
I hope that will work. My understanding is that some Ogas at the top expect some daily quotas from what junior officers make from the public. So, I'm bent to believe even graduate police officers will be required to still part with daily deliveries to their bosses...
May be reshuffling the police force to different regions away from their comfort zone under no-nonsense bosses would help.
Re: My Near Death Experience With The Nigerian Police - DIARY Of A Jobless Youth by naturalwaves: 4:57pm On Sep 20, 2015
SmartMugu:

I hope that will work. My understanding is that some Ogas at the top expect some daily quotas from what junior officers make from the public. So, I'm bent to believe even graduate police officers will be required to still part with daily deliveries to their bosses...
May be reshuffling the police force to different regions away from their comfort zone under no-nonsense bosses would help.
Hmm, I think that reshuffling will be better like they do to SARS officials. When my friend was arrested by SARS, he told me how arrested armed robbers get bailed out with fees ranging from 150k to 300k or more and then innocent persons are rounded up as a replacement.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Concerning The Controversial "New" Rules Of Nairaland / How Can I Stop Being Soft Hearted As A Guy / Brain Teaser: Guess The Country Names From The Pictures Below

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.