Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,484 members, 7,861,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 11:32 AM

Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. (899 Views)

FG Introduces Automated Payment Of Salaries, Allowances / FG To Slash Federal Lawmakers’ Salaries / Senate Inaugurates Committee To Review Lawmakers’ Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by zinachidi(m): 7:44am On Aug 07, 2015
The Senate has disclosed that the
salaries and allowances of lawmakers
will be reduced in line with the existing
economic realities facing the country. The chairman, Senate adhoc committee
on information, Senator Dino Melaye,
who made this disclosure yesterday
when addressing newsmen, said the
committee saddled with the
responsibility of reviewing the salaries of lawmakers had submitted its report. According him, there was the need to
reduce the allowances of lawmakers in
response to the directives of the Senate
president, Bukola Saraki, who had set
up a finance committee to review the
allowance of Senators.

He said the senators had made a
progressive reduction in their salaries as
the Senate president had insisted they
must all make sacrifices for the nation. “The Senate president said we must
sacrifice, as we cannot carry out proper
oversight of the MDAs (ministries,
departments and agencies) if we have
not made proper sacrifice,” he said,
asserting that the 8th Senate would be a responsible one. Senator Melaye also stated that the era of
government and its agencies not
adhering to the resolutions of the Senate
was over as the upper house will set up
a re-evaluation and monitoring
committee to monitor and track the progress of resolutions made by the
Senate to ensure there is strict
compliance and apply sanctions
accordingly when appropriate.

He further explained that there is no
controversy over the Senate chief whip
as the South West caucus of the APC was
yet to submit the name of its candidate,
adding that the Senate is now focused
on developmental issues. He added that the committee saddled
with the responsibility of rolling out the
legislative agenda of the 8th Senate
would soon submit its report and that
the report would pilot the affairs of the
8th Senate “The objective of this Senate is to fight
and curb corruption, and the Senate
president has sounded a note of
warning that the anti-corruption
crusade will be carried out in all the
committees and any Senator found wanting will be made to face the full
wrath of the law,” Melaye said.

leadership.ng/news/452377/well-reduce-lawmakers-salaries-allowances-senate

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by DEXTROVERT: 7:44am On Aug 07, 2015
I don't bliv it until I see their alert...

I hope they won't slash civil servants salaries too.
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by SouthernBreeze(m): 7:45am On Aug 07, 2015
Good News
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by Ddonoflife(m): 7:45am On Aug 07, 2015
Seconded
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by Ddonoflife(m): 7:45am On Aug 07, 2015
DEXTROVERT:
V
for vulture
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by Nobody: 7:47am On Aug 07, 2015
Me, take Dino seriously? No way!
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by wachakuta(m): 7:47am On Aug 07, 2015
Thirded
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by kossyablaze(m): 7:48am On Aug 07, 2015
Smh

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by olaboy33(m): 7:49am On Aug 07, 2015
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by blackmartial(m): 7:49am On Aug 07, 2015
Until then, we are watching.
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by Young03(m): 7:52am On Aug 07, 2015
good
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by Infomizer(m): 8:00am On Aug 07, 2015
I still want to understand why these guys can't be placed on minimum wage. Make person clear me nao..It would make sense o.. Gaskiya

1 Like

Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by Demmocrats(m): 8:04am On Aug 07, 2015
Op first work on your link

Back to the thread, reducing salary means nothing the salary is not the issue but the huge allowances they get that suppose to be scrapped fully not the salary.

They should keep deceiving the people they can deceive not me
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by IanDiamonds: 8:05am On Aug 07, 2015
This would be nice....Assuming its implemented... I'm really optimistic about this..
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by double0seven(m): 8:25am On Aug 07, 2015
why should they be the one to review their salaries; there is a government body for that very purpose : National Salaries, Income And Wages
Commission.
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by omowolewa: 8:45am On Aug 07, 2015
Nice one if itz true.
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by change49ja: 9:07am On Aug 07, 2015
"
The Senate president said we must
sacrifice - Dino Melaye
"angry angry angry

Sounds like they're been forced
Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by TheUmmah: 9:11am On Aug 07, 2015
undecided SCAM! Or maybe dem go fit reduce 5k each come call am reduction! Nonsense

1 Like

Re: Senate To Reduce Lawmakers Salaries; Allowances. by change49ja: 9:12am On Aug 07, 2015
TheUmmah:
undecided SCAM! Or maybe dem go fit reduce 5k each come call am reduction! Nonsense

grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

APC Says Jonathan's Government Looted N11tn, PDP Kicks / Tinubu And Fasola Fighting Dirty (picture) / Former Bayelsa Governor Rubbishes Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.