Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,973 members, 7,817,865 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed (49145 Views)

Poultry Farm With Fish Pond For Rent / Photos: My Catfish Pond / Mysterious Bat With A Horse-like Face Found In Fish Pond (PHOTOS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Nicepoker(m): 10:12am On Aug 09, 2015
uzygirl:
Nice one. More amd ore youths are turning to agriculture. I wish those in the Niger Delta would copy this. Agbero, Area boys and Omonile no be work oh
u deserve an e slap. U think all the youths in ND care about the crude?
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by fm7070: 10:38am On Aug 09, 2015
Rearing catfish is good, but its not worth sitting down with if you're not raising up to 5,000 fishes to table size and this involves a lot of capital.
Government and banks should encourage youth who are willing to go into agriculture.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by sirfarouk(m): 12:22pm On Aug 09, 2015
@BELEXYFARMS How much does fingerlings cost and what size of collapsible tank can cater for about 300 fishes?
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Princedanny: 3:11pm On Aug 09, 2015
Concrete pond is cool but their are easy ways to have ur pond and make ur fish to well.. Collapsible pond, easy to maintain, movable and durable.. 10ft by 10ft by 4ft. Which take 700 adult fish.. For more details plz call 08165447777

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Boyooosa(m): 5:09pm On Aug 09, 2015
atoleybaba:
it is stressful not that dy are making it look like it...the job is not for lazy and carefree person
i did not mention that the job is for a lazy man or care free person, but i am of the opinion that research has made pond business more sophisticated and advanced than what u re doing, actually i do not know what u re doing inside the pond (chatting with the natures or something), but i believe that even if you want to clean the pond, u can do dat without intruding the pond and u will still get good result.....
check out the post on top of mine.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Adesiji77: 6:03pm On Aug 09, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Thats a massive number of fishes. The amount of feed consumed daily or weekly will change as they grow. It will cost abt 15 million naira to feed 50,000 fishes for 6 months. I am assuming you are using earthen ponds for this right?

Thanks for your response. The project is not mine but belongs to a colleague's client. The client is looking at 8 earthen ponds for the 50,000 juveniles.

Please can you break the "N15m for 6 months" down for me to say, how much kg of feeds they will consume weekly/monthly at Month 1, Month 2, etc and the associated monthly costs (kg times cost per unit) to enable prepare a reasonable cashflow projection.

Cc: daclemx, opeaceo, FarmTech
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Tbagwell1(m): 7:00pm On Aug 09, 2015
Adesiji77:

Thanks for your response. The project is not mine but belongs to a colleague's client. The client is looking at 8 earthen ponds for the 50,000 juveniles.

Please can you break the "N15m for 6 months" down for me to say, how much kg of feeds they will consume weekly/monthly at Month 1, Month 2, etc and the associated monthly costs (kg times cost per unit) to enable prepare a reasonable cashflow projection.

Budget between 250-300 per fish for the next 6 month.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by igbakigba2t15: 7:04pm On Aug 09, 2015
CONGRATULATIONS....I use to be in this fish bizz until the fat bottomed Lagos women fish sellers cartel prized me out as if to say I stole the fishes not even minding the exorbitant fish feeds. Good luck to you as this PMB Govt regime might provide the right environment for the bizz to thrive.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 7:25pm On Aug 09, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:

Oga belexyfarms abeg no mind that guy, kpako dey come form ajebutter for here. Comot for road jor.
Oga belexy, how much do they buy millange now? How much does it cost to raise them to millange level? And is the sales of millange still good?

Melange is between N370 to N400 per kilo now. It all depends on your bargaining power and your location. It will cost you about N150 per fish to raise to melange level at 3months; could be way less than this if you get a good breed of fish and if your farm practices are on point. Yes, melange farming is good but try to rear a lot at once. Your profit comes from the turnover rate.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 7:30pm On Aug 09, 2015
sirfarouk:
@BELEXYFARMS How much does fingerlings cost and what size of collapsible tank can cater for about 300 fishes?

It can cost between N10 to 15. It all depends on the seller. In Lagos, its usually N10 though.
A 12ft × 8ft × 3ft depth pond will comfortably take about 350 fishes.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 7:38pm On Aug 09, 2015
Adesiji77:

I'm sorry, i cant really say how much they will consume daily, weekly or monthly. Maybe others can help. I usually feed my fishes to satiation at each meal and I have never used the feeding per body weight method to feed my fishes which would have enabled me to answer your question. In my own case, the feed quantity varies depending on the water quality at the time of feeding, time of the day and batch of fish stocked. But you will need about 60 tonnes of feed to feed the number of fishes you are talking about.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Adesiji77: 8:37pm On Aug 09, 2015
Tbagwell1:

Budget between 250-300 per fish for the next 6 month.

Thanks, I really appreciate

Cc: Belexyfarms

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by atoleybaba(m): 10:27pm On Aug 09, 2015
Boyooosa:

i did not mention that the job is for a lazy man or care free person, but i am of the opinion that research has made pond business more sophisticated and advanced than what u re doing, actually i do not know what u re doing inside the pond (chatting with the natures or something), but i believe that even if you want to clean the pond, u can do dat without intruding the pond and u will still get good result.....
check out the post on top of mine.
no comment....Buh in Nigeria, that is d well known way of rearing catfish. The same way Lagos state govt rear catfish too
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Boyooosa(m): 12:27am On Aug 10, 2015
atoleybaba:
no comment....Buh in Nigeria, that is d well known way of rearing catfish. The same way Lagos state govt rear catfish too
Even with your Pond's style, u can still be creative (forget about Lagos State, that is what they know), You can create a kind of artificial demarcation in your pond and allowing 2 water outlets for both sides, u try to lure/persuade your natures to one side while u clean and flush d other with a foam (having a long pole attached to it) dat can clean, mop and drain the dirty water. Change their position to the other side and apply the same method. If you follow these steps cautiously, you will be willing to meet me one on one. Best of luck! wink
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by natureabc(m): 8:58am On Aug 10, 2015
who get fingerlings 4 sale? I dey east. 2000 fingerlings wanted with competitive price urgently please. 08130542546
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by blacq2009(m): 9:14am On Aug 10, 2015
More grease to your elbow bro. Wanna start one too. Could you tell me a bit about constructing the pond?
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Nobody: 10:37am On Aug 10, 2015
I love this.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by ajokbem: 12:06am On Aug 11, 2015
Old layers for sale
Call or watsapp 08138633994
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by atoleybaba(m): 8:06am On Aug 11, 2015
Boyooosa:

Even with your Pond's style, u can still be creative (forget about Lagos State, that is what they know), You can create a kind of artificial demarcation in your pond and allowing 2 water outlets for both sides, u try to lure/persuade your natures to one side while u clean and flush d other with a foam (having a long pole attached to it) dat can clean, mop and drain the dirty water. Change their position to the other side and apply the same method. If you follow these steps cautiously, you will be willing to meet me one on one. Best of luck! wink
lmao easier said than done....anyways it is cause u are not in d business.nice suggestion anyways. Hoping u start d biz very soon and apply that method let us see how it works

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Boyooosa(m): 8:44am On Aug 11, 2015
atoleybaba:
lmao easier said than done....anyways it is cause u are not in d business.nice suggestion anyways. Hoping u start d biz very soon and apply that method let us see how it works
my neighbour does and i help him through the process, its fun! we gist all the way!
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by WhoBeThisMan: 9:59am On Aug 11, 2015
Boyooosa:

my neighbour does and i help him through the process, its fun! we gist all the way!
Pinsure or Adonbilivit

1 Like

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Boyooosa(m): 1:46pm On Aug 11, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:

Pinsure or Adonbilivit
Adonwantutobilivit, iwantutotryit! Set ur mind for creativity! Computers existed before Bill Gate became the CEO of Microsoft Corporation. cool
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by paulmarkino: 9:35am On Aug 12, 2015
Adesiji77:

Well done OP, your entrepreneurial drive is encouraging. May God bless your efforts.

@Agricbusiness, Farmafric, BelexyFarms, Chi4iku, sweatlana, opeaceo, Pdozie, Redsun, ValueAddin, Bily,Yetown, gabinogem, supaslim, Lesgupnigeria, leosnr, docchuks, JuveFarms, ab1x, Mayany, busayoomo, FarmTech

Please, how much will it cost to feed 50,000 juveniles for 6 months?
What is the average consumption like daily/weekly/monthly? What other costs should be factored in for a project of this size? I want to work on a cashflow projection for a proposed fish farm and your input would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

If you can produce food for them, then 300k will do. Also you need to have well or borehole so as not to be buying water
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by WhoBeThisMan: 10:42am On Aug 12, 2015
paulmarkino:

If you can produce food for them, then 300k will do. Also you need to have well or borehole so as not to be buying water
he said 50,000 fishes
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by paulmarkino: 10:47am On Aug 12, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:
he said 50,000 fishes
You don't kick off fishing with such number.
You start with lower numbers maybe 200 to 500
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 11:34am On Aug 12, 2015
paulmarkino:

Bro, did you check the number of fishes he spoke about? 300K cannot even feed 5000 fishes, not to talk of 50,000 fishes.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by paulmarkino: 9:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
BELEXYFARMS:

Bro, did you check the number of fishes he spoke about? 300K cannot even feed 5000 fishes, not to talk of 50,000 fishes.
You don't kick off fishing with such a large number of fishes.
Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by BELEXYFARMS(m): 6:54am On Aug 13, 2015
paulmarkino:

You don't kick off fishing with such a large number of fishes.

I get your point. I also dont encourage newbies to start wt a lot of fishes as 'backyard' farmers. Especially those who have only heard the good side of fish farming on the internet and who now decide to invest all their life savings into setting it up because they dream of the so-called 'millions' they will reap. But this person is doing it on an industrial scale. Not backyard farming and not 'experimenting' . I also want to presume that he has certified trusted consultants on site and farm managers handling the project and the info he is getting from nairaland is just to compare notes and for his own personal knowledge and not the info he wants to use to start it on his own. In addition to that, i believe that his consultants have given him the pros and cons of the business and he has chosen to forge ahead.

2 Likes

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by Hamij: 1:20pm On Aug 16, 2015
We have quality catfish fingerlings for sale at Hamij Farms , port harcourt . They are 5 to 6 weeks old from a good parent stock . They are fast growing specie and reach table size at 3 to 5 months depending on the farmers management . Contact us on 07061066317 if you are interested

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by benuwatts: 7:16pm On May 25, 2016
Hello guys, we are making this response for those who may be interested in constructing reliable fish pond that can take about up to 500, 850, 1000, 1500, 2000 adult catfish (or any custom size).

Beside the following description for this particular product, you can view product price, more products and contact details by visiting BENUWATTS WEBSITE at http://benuwatts.com

Reinforced Tarpaulin For Mobile Pond That Will Contain 1000 Adult Catfish: Product Description

Reinforced Tarpaulin (RT) from Benuwatts (visit http://benuwatts.com) is a high quality, affordable and reliable alternative for fish farming for both rural and urban dwellers.

With this product, there is no need to put up with high cost and all the inconveniences that come with concrete and plastic ponds.

You can easily use wood or galvanized iron to create a suitable frame in order to have a brand new fish pond, just anywhere you desire.

Colour: can come in a variety (black, white, yellow, blue, red, etc.) sometimes.

Dimensions:
Length: 10ft
Width: 12ft
Height: 4ft

Volume:
Gallon: 3,590
Liters: 13,592

Stocking Capacity (Estimate):
Up to 2000 for Juvenile catfish (as an example)
≤ 1000 for Catfish of about six months

Suitability:
Shrimps, prawns and all tropical fishes, including Clarias gariepinus, Heterobranchus longifillis, Hetero-clarias and other Catfish species; Tilapia and other Chichlid species, etc.

Type/Quality: Ship grade (grade used in ship building that withstand enormous tidal waves at sea)

Padding:
Reinforced, Single

Advantages of Benuwatts Reinforced Tarpaulin (RT) Ponds:

- Tough and light weight with high tensile strength; can withstand wear and tear without puncture

- Non-toxic and non-corrosive to water and fishes

- Durable and long lasting, with virtually no maintenance cost (unlike concrete ponds)

- Less expensive compared to concrete ponds or plastic tanks

- Benuwatts RTs, unlike plastic tanks, offer larger surface area for oxygen exchange and fish mobility which greatly enhances fish growth

- Benuwatts RT ponds can easily be removed and carried to another location, thereby making it ideal for tenants

- Suitable for small scale fish farming in areas like compound, backyard, garage, garden, etc.

- Ideal for large scale fish farming investments/projects in open fields

- High degree of customization to suit a variety of farming projects

- RTs from Benuwatts are UV-stabilized, and can therefore withstand extreme weather events occasioned by climate change.

- Low height gives you easy access to watch the fishes

- Light colours do not only make it easier to see the fishes, but also beautify your farm

Re: A Nairalander Managing His Little Fish Pond- Self-employed by ricki: 11:43am On May 29, 2016
how much ??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Automated Coscharis Rice Mill, Igbariam, Anambra State (Photos) / The Lizard We Killed Trying To Eat Our Eggs / Feeding Questions On Broiler Production..Lets Share Knowledge(pictures incl..)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.