Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,707 members, 7,827,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? (1381 Views)

President Buhari Prays With Osinbajo, Okorocha And Others (Photo) / Okorocha And Aisha Buhari At Get Involved In Abuja / Okorocha And Wife Seated On The Roof Of Their Car During The Campaign Period (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by drnoel: 6:01pm On Aug 07, 2015
Commentry by Niran Adedokun

Sometimes when in my own company, I wonder what leaders of other countries think about Nigerian leaders. One of those occasions came up last week when pictures of billboards erected in celebration of the "good fortunes" of Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State to have met and shaken hands with the United States' President, Barack Obama, went viral.

Without holding Okorocha in grudge for "celebrating" the rare opportunity of meeting the world's most important leader, I asked myself how disgusted Obama and his people would feel if this exhibition of self-importance came to their knowledge.

But Okorocha was not alone in this display of vainglory. The Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, took his gorgeous brand new wife with him. And she lit up every photo opportunity that the spouse had with her bright countenance. The governor must have been proud of himself for affording the entourage the privilege of the radiance of the presence of his helpmeet.

But it calls to mind the question of what these state governors learnt from the opportunity to travel with the president. Until now, none but Oshiomhole who has information about how much a particular minister stole from Nigeria under the immediate past administration, has told us what their state stands to gain from that trip in which they were on the President's advance party. They only came back to act like excited schoolchildren who got their first opportunity for an excursion.

In the course of the week, I pondered on what could be behind the decision of the President to travel with these governors, all of whom are incidentally from his All Progressives Party. Is it the protocol for heads of government to travel with governors? How many governors were on the entourage of Obama during his recent tour of Africa for example? Why did Buhari have such number of governors embark on this trip which is likely to have cost each of them tens of millions of naira in spite of the economic crunch that states currently face?

I then remembered the following words from Buhari's inaugural speech: "...relations between Abuja and the States have to be clarified if we are to serve the country better. Constitutionally, there are limits to the powers of each of the three tiers of government but that should not mean the Federal Government should fold its arms and close its eyes to what is going on in the states and local governments. As far as the constitution allows me, I will try to ensure that there is responsible and accountable governance at all levels of government in the country..."

Although I always wondered how the President hoped to achieve the level of monitoring that would guarantee the success that he anticipated in this speech, I was happy that he acknowledged the importance of states in the development of the country from the outset. The invitation of these five governors therefore appeared to me like an orientation on how the administration of our states would improve.

To clarify, I hold the position that states are the weakest links to effective governance in Nigeria. Although I accept arguments that the current revenue allocation formula in which the Federal Government receive 52 per cent of revenue accruing to the country detracts from the prospect of development in the rural areas, I am still unable to come to terms with the level of stunted growth in our states.

If we take the argument that the allocation formula is responsible for the situation of our states for example, anyone familiar with the clout of our governors will agree that effecting a review in the allocation sharing formula should not be so herculean.

For starters, most commissioners on the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission which is empowered by Paragraph 32 (b) Part I of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) to review the revenue allocation formula from time to time would have been nominated by the governors. In essence, any chance that governors of the 36 states subscribe to the review of this formula, would see the RMAFC initiate the process

to read more follow punch newspapaers on
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by kossyablaze(m): 6:05pm On Aug 07, 2015
None

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by Firefire(m): 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2015
Dead brain. Nothing!

1 Like

Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by Brightology2(m): 6:11pm On Aug 07, 2015
Hw 2 snap pishure

2 Likes

Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by ahaz: 6:14pm On Aug 07, 2015
Brightology2:
Hw 2 snap pishure
and shaking of Obama.
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by Brightology2(m): 6:18pm On Aug 07, 2015
Apc is a scam
ahaz:
and shaking of Obama.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by anwe: 6:25pm On Aug 07, 2015
Good question, how many American governors abandoned their duties, behave like school boys and followed president Obama on tour of African countries. Naija we have a long way to go......everyone playing to the gallery

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 6:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
drnoel:
Commentry by Niran Adedokun

Sometimes when in my own company, I wonder what leaders of other countries think about Nigerian leaders. One of those occasions came up last week when pictures of billboards erected in celebration of the "good fortunes" of Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State to have met and shaken hands with the United States' President, Barack Obama, went viral.

Without holding Okorocha in grudge for "celebrating" the rare opportunity of meeting the world's most important leader, I asked myself how disgusted Obama and his people would feel if this exhibition of self-importance came to their knowledge.

But Okorocha was not alone in this display of vainglory. The Edo State Governor, Adams Oshiomhole, took his gorgeous brand new wife with him. And she lit up every photo opportunity that the spouse had with her bright countenance. The governor must have been proud of himself for affording the entourage the privilege of the radiance of the presence of his helpmeet.

But it calls to mind the question of what these state governors learnt from the opportunity to travel with the president. Until now, none but Oshiomhole who has information about how much a particular minister stole from Nigeria under the immediate past administration, has told us what their state stands to gain from that trip in which they were on the President's advance party. They only came back to act like excited schoolchildren who got their first opportunity for an excursion.

In the course of the week, I pondered on what could be behind the decision of the President to travel with these governors, all of whom are incidentally from his All Progressives Party. Is it the protocol for heads of government to travel with governors? How many governors were on the entourage of Obama during his recent tour of Africa for example? Why did Buhari have such number of governors embark on this trip which is likely to have cost each of them tens of millions of naira in spite of the economic crunch that states currently face?

I then remembered the following words from Buhari's inaugural speech: "...relations between Abuja and the States have to be clarified if we are to serve the country better. Constitutionally, there are limits to the powers of each of the three tiers of government but that should not mean the Federal Government should fold its arms and close its eyes to what is going on in the states and local governments. As far as the constitution allows me, I will try to ensure that there is responsible and accountable governance at all levels of government in the country..."

Although I always wondered how the President hoped to achieve the level of monitoring that would guarantee the success that he anticipated in this speech, I was happy that he acknowledged the importance of states in the development of the country from the outset. The invitation of these five governors therefore appeared to me like an orientation on how the administration of our states would improve.

To clarify, I hold the position that states are the weakest links to effective governance in Nigeria. Although I accept arguments that the current revenue allocation formula in which the Federal Government receive 52 per cent of revenue accruing to the country detracts from the prospect of development in the rural areas, I am still unable to come to terms with the level of stunted growth in our states.

If we take the argument that the allocation formula is responsible for the situation of our states for example, anyone familiar with the clout of our governors will agree that effecting a review in the allocation sharing formula should not be so herculean.

For starters, most commissioners on the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission which is empowered by Paragraph 32 (b) Part I of the Third Schedule to the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) to review the revenue allocation formula from time to time would have been nominated by the governors. In essence, any chance that governors of the 36 states subscribe to the review of this formula, would see the RMAFC initiate the process

to read more follow punch newspapaers on
dat you should shut up and mind your bizness.
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by CharliParker: 7:23pm On Aug 07, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
Let him go and shake Obama let us see, since he is in the same class with Rochas,
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by kazmanbanjoko(m): 8:32pm On Aug 07, 2015
CharliParker:
Let him go and shake Obama let us see, since he is in the same class with Rochas,
no mind am.
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by shachris02: 8:46pm On Aug 07, 2015
op what did you learn in school?
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by drnoel: 3:31am On Aug 26, 2015
shachris02:
op what did you learn in school?

More than what u obviously did
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by drnoel: 3:33am On Aug 26, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:

Hope that was not for the OP cos if it was then.....
Anyway read between the lines. I reposted someone's write up and sited where I got the post
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by drnoel: 3:34am On Aug 26, 2015
CharliParker:

Ignorance is really a disease
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by drnoel: 3:34am On Aug 26, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
no mind am.

Tst Tst Tst
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by biafranqueen: 4:04am On Aug 26, 2015
kazmanbanjoko:
So they spent millions of dollars and we should not know what we got out of it? Question doing a survey which state are you from?
Re: What Lessons Did Okorocha And Others Learn In America? by drnoel: 6:41am On Oct 09, 2015
biafranqueen:
So they spent millions of dollars and we should not know what we got out of it? Question doing a survey which state are you from?

Pls ask them?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

How The Name Palestine Came About. / Bring Back Our Girls! APC must Bring back our girls. / “Older Men Declare War, But It Is The Youth That Must Fight And Die.” Add Yours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.