Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,582 members, 7,816,433 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff (6415 Views)

Menstrual Disturbances, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment! / DEPRESSION Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment By Joseph M. Carver, Ph.d. / Lassa Fever: Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment By WHO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by foxgiovani(m): 5:05pm On Aug 08, 2015
The Facts on Dandruff

Dandruff is a harmless, chronic condition that occurs when the scalp becomes dry or greasy and produces white flakes of dead skin that appear in the hair or on the shoulders. People most often think of dandruff as anything that produces a flaky scalp.

Although it is harmless, dandruff can be embarrassing for those who have it. Dandruff usually starts between the ages of 10 and 20 and affects up to 40% of people over the age of 30.

source: http://tradot.com/blog/post?BrightMekaBlog_Causes-symptoms-Prevention-and-treatment-of-dandruff-489e
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Ewuro4: 5:09pm On Aug 08, 2015
Original coconut oil application on your scalp every day. Unpleasant odour but Works like magic.
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by NaijaChild: 5:20pm On Aug 08, 2015
Causes of Dandruff

Skin cells are formed continuously on the scalp, so the shedding of dead skin cells is a normal process. With dandruff, however, skin cells are shed at a faster rate than normal. Oil from the scalp causes the skin cellsto clump together and appear as whiteflakes.Dandruff can be caused by a numberof things, including dry skin; sensitivity to hair products; and skin conditions such as psoriasis, seborrheic dermatitis, or eczema.The overgrowth of yeast can also causedandruff. This overgrowth can be caused by stress, hormones, too much oil on the scalp, or problems with the immune system.

Symptoms and Complications of Dandruff
The symptoms of dandruff include white flakes of dead skin in the hair and on the shoulders, as well as anitchy, red, or scaly scalp. Common dandruff flakes are usually scattered throughout the scalp.If seborrheic dermatitisis the cause of dandruff, the symptomsusually appear gradually. The scalp becomes dry or greasy and feels itchy. As skin cells die, they turn to yellowish scales. A bad case of seborrheic dermatitis can also cause symptoms in other parts of the body.Yellowish or reddish scaling can appear on the hairline, in and around the ears, or on the nose and chest. Affected newborn babies may get a thick and crusty rash on the scalp, called cradle cap.

Treating and PreventingDandruff
Dandruff can often be a chronic
condition, but itcan be controlled with the proper treatment. First, try shampooing with a non-medicated shampoo, massaging the scalp firmly, and then rinsing well. Frequent shampooing removes flakes, reduces oiliness, and prevents dead skin cell buildup. If this fails to help, special antidandruff shampoos are usually helpful. Instructions for use depend on the specific shampoo used. Some are used on a daily basis, while other are used only once or twiceweekly.When selecting an over-the-counter shampoo, look for antidandruff ingredients such as ketoconazole*, selenium sulfide, salicylic acid, sulfur, coal tar, or zinc pyrithione. You may need to try a few products before you find the one that works for you. Shampoos that contain ketoconazole appear to be more effective in the treatment of seborrheicdermatitis and dandruffwhen compared with other non-prescription medicated shampoos. Salicylic acid preparations are mostlyused for dandruff caused by psoriasis, while sulfur and coal tar preparations are generally used for dandruff caused by seborrheic dermatitis.If non-prescription preparations are not successful after 2 weeks, or if the condition worsens, you should consider seeing a doctor. A doctor may prescribe a corticosteroid lotion to be applied to the scalp. Never use corticosteroids for a long period of time without advice from a doctor. They can thin out the skin and cause other side effects.For an infant with cradle cap, apply a small amount of mineral oil to the dry areas of the scalp to soften the scales and then shampoo it out. Then remove the scalesby gentle brushing. You can then wash the infant's hair with mild baby shampoo. If these measures do not help, try applying a small amount of warmed mineral oil at bedtime and then shampooing itout in the morning. If this isn't effective, talk to your child's doctor about next steps.In general, corticosteroid shampoos and lotions are not used on infants,as infants absorb them much more easily through the skin than adults do. The good news is that cradle cap usually disappears eventually without any treatment within the first year of a baby's life.To help keep dandruff under control, shampoo frequently, reduc e your stress levels, try reducing youruse of hair products (e.g., gels and sprays), and eat a healthy diet.
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by corisande: 5:59pm On Aug 08, 2015
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by foxgiovani(m): 11:21pm On Aug 08, 2015
corisande:

I wish coconut oil works magic for mine
it doesn't!
I've tried many products,none works! but I've learnt to MANAGE it by washing my hair every week with sulphur8 shampoo.
you can just still give the coconut oil a trial
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 08, 2015
try washing it yourself every week with warm water. shampoo and condition. also change your relaxer to a good brand. after washing line your hair and apply your treatment into the line. you can get cocnut oil and herbs.
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by corisande: 9:09am On Aug 09, 2015
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by foxgiovani(m): 2:52pm On Aug 09, 2015
sexybaby22:
try washing it yourself every week with warm water. shampoo and condition. also change your relaxer to a good brand. after washing line your hair and apply your treatment into the line. you can get cocnut oil and herbs.
Nice one
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by foxgiovani(m): 6:09am On Aug 10, 2015
sad
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by SAMBARRY: 7:01am On Aug 10, 2015
Ewuro4:
Original coconut oil application on your scalp every day. Unpleasant odour but Works like magic.
I notice that when my hair is due that's when I see dandruff. Asides that I think dandruff is nature's way of ejecting dirts out of the scalp or remind you that your hair is dirty and needs to be washed
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Ayofaks(f): 2:53pm On Aug 10, 2015
SELSUN shampoo works for dandruffs also...it's quite good.
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Ewuro4: 5:13pm On Aug 10, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I notice that when my hair is due that's when I see dandruff. Asides that I think dandruff is nature's way of ejecting dirts out of the scalp or remind you that your hair is dirty and needs to be washed

Yes. In short it's the best.

How's Wura? kiss
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Ewuro4: 5:15pm On Aug 10, 2015
Ayofaks:
SELSUN shampoo works for dandruffs also...it's quite good.

I got that stuff from African stuff and used it, omg the thing dey pepper eye oh angry same as Heads& shoulders fraud. undecided
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by SAMBARRY: 5:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
Ewuro4:

Yes. In short it's the best.

How's Wura? kiss
she's good o.always excited to go to school cheesy

sing Barney , mayi has a yitu yamb, tis is the way ha bosh ma teeth, dance ,eat and sleep grin
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Ewuro4: 5:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
SAMBARRY:
she's good o.always excited to go to school cheesy

sing Barney , mayi has a yitu yamb, tis is the way ha bosh ma teeth, dance ,eat and sleep grin

Hehehe awww , owo mummy ko jona cheesy girls are cute eh? grin

God bless them All.

1 Like

Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Ayofaks(f): 6:14pm On Aug 10, 2015
Ewuro4:

I got that stuff from African stuff and used it, omg the thing dey pepper eye oh angry same as Heads& shoulders fraud. undecided
Madam it really worked for me....I had very itchy, dry and flaky scalp...I used it just once and everything cleared fiam!!! like that smiley
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by SAMBARRY: 6:39pm On Aug 10, 2015
Ewuro4:

Hehehe awww , owo mummy ko jona cheesy girls are cute eh? grin

God bless them All.

momoh come and listen to what awa aunty taught us.oya I'm listening cheesy

are you in the los amy.say yes sa na momoh. Ok yes sa

ha we nefa tell lies to momoh, tell lies to dadah, sti for ma younger ones.i will always yid ma babu because I'm in the los army . me too I will close it with yes sir grin

momoh where's ma food. I want to yit.what do you want. Bwed and bota.and what again? Wota. And what again. Food na grin

yes ma grin

1 Like

Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by foxgiovani(m): 7:04am On Aug 14, 2015
SAMBARRY:
momoh come and listen to what awa aunty taught us.oya I'm listening cheesy

are you in the los amy.say yes sa na momoh. Ok yes sa

ha we nefa tell lies to momoh, tell lies to dadah, sti for ma younger ones.i will always yid ma babu because I'm in the los army . me too I will close it with yes sir grin

momoh where's ma food. I want to yit.what do you want. Bwed and bota.and what again? Wota. And what again. Food na grin

yes ma grin
Lol
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 14, 2015
Have Ben battling with dandruff since my SS3. try so many ointments, shampoos and hair cream all to no avail. when I gained admission , my hairdresser told me to grind camphor and mix it with kerosine and apply it on my scalp. leave it for some minutes, before washing with native soap. I did as she said, it was painful, but it worked. since then till now, I no see dandruff again. i had to quit using shampoo to wash my hair. I use native soap.

2 Likes

Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by otokx(m): 7:40pm On Aug 14, 2015
Adaobi12:
Have Ben battling with dandruff since my SS3. try so many ointments, shampoos and hair cream all to no avail. when I gained admission , my hairdresser told me to grind camphor and mix it with kerosine and apply it on my scalp. leave it for some minutes, before washing with native soap. I did as she said, it was painful, but it worked. since then till now, I no see dandruff again. i had to quit using shampoo to wash my hair. I use native soap.

We learn everyday
Re: Causes, Symptoms, Prevention And Treatment Of Dandruff by Gigihealth: 7:08pm On Jul 27, 2016
Seborrheic dermatitis treatment can include medicated shampoos, creams, and lotions which are effective in moisturizing the skin and scalp. In most cases, there is usually no cure for seborrhea and the reason why a person gets this common rash has not been understood. Click on the link below to read more.
http://www.gigihealth.com/seborrheic-dermatitis-treatment-what-is-seborrheic-dermatitis/

(1) (Reply)

Coping With A Pushy Neighbour / Jealousy: See How These Kids Welcome Their Newborn Siblings To The Family(Pics) / How To Catch A Cheating Wife, Husband, Girlfriend, Boyfriend, Etc (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.