Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,290 members, 7,822,435 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:12 AM

How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo (14459 Views)

It’s Risky For Buhari To Be Treated In Nigeria —omole / RUMBLINGS FROM THE Creek...and Gentle Whispers Of True Leaders By Ena Ofugara / Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Stolen: 10:00pm On Aug 09, 2015
zeestunner:
Ena ofugara should stop being a hypocrite. The northerners have a right to determine how they want there region run. Its their land its their government. We should remember that at that time we had regional governments resources then belong to the regions not like now. Nobody would want to be dorminated by another in his territory. Where there northerners in the eastern civil service? Nobody should use education as an excuse. ahmadu bello was rite if u give them an inch they would want to claim everyting lagos is an example. Its only fair everybody protect his or her interest.

We are not one people then? We have no business claiming one Nigeria? All northerners that own oil well in Niger Delta should not be allowed that priviledge becos it is not their region.

U have no right to bring war to the east and cause Ojukwu to defend the east, becos the igbos had left your region and are in their own region and country.

We are not one country and have no business as one country.

2 Likes

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
All these to erase your mediocrity?? I don't have time to start googling up igbo achievements....of course there are truckloads of them...but clap for yourselves
You would be surprised that when you can get just only half of that, I would praise you but add another lengthy Yoruba achievements...it was when you began to beat your hollow chests that we the young ones kukuma show you and would continue to show you that the Yorubas,I am sorry, are light years above the Igbos...

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by damosthottest: 10:16pm On Aug 09, 2015
Ritchiee:
You would be surprised that when you can get just only half of that, I would praise you but add another lengthy Yoruba achievements...it was when you began to beat your hollow chests that we the young ones kukuma show you and would continue to show you that the Yorubas,I am sorry, are light years above the Igbos...

How can people sruggling to learn challenge natural gifted Igbo Biafrans?
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 10:33pm On Aug 09, 2015
damosthottest:

How can people sruggling to learn challenge natural gifted Igbo Biafrans?
I have given you a few evidences,bring yours if you have the balls...unfortunately you don't' have 1/5 of those achievements and you have resorted to the rat saying it has more flesh than the elephant...lol https://www.nairaland.com/2486801/check-out-these-achievements-u... very delusional indeed...
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 10:46pm On Aug 09, 2015
backtosender:
expel your landlords will bring a catastrophe in lagos be ready for war in lagos before we go we cannot aloow lazy yorooba ritualist and parasites stealing our properties we will destroy it level it well well before we go..so that u can develop lagos just like your are doing in Osun state useless bunch
Delusional goats...even the poverty in your Anambra surpasses that of Osun that you are giving no respect... https://www.nairaland.com/2418994/ranking-nigerian-states-poverty-rates
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 10:55pm On Aug 09, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
All these to erase your mediocrity?? I don't have time to start googling up igbo achievements....of course there are truckloads of them...but clap for yourselves
There are not even up to a tin load...not with this your poverty according to UNO arm- https://www.nairaland.com/2418994/ranking-nigerian-states-poverty-rates UNDP...
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Duru1(m): 10:57pm On Aug 09, 2015
Yet few dumbass dingbats in Nigeria will argue that the coup plotters of January 15, 1966 would have included innocent people in their death list. Some folks should remember that great number of soldiers involved with the coupe grew up in northern region. When these moronic ninnies in northern region of Nigeria were twisted out of human form because of the presence of Ndigbo, a Fulani from Sokoto has been the first Mayor of Enugu and there was no time either Zik or Okpara or members of eastern regional house of assembly made statements of such crass responsibilities as did Bello or Akintola. I have never had any desire to share a country with imbecilic goons from northern and southwestern regions of Nigeria.
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Nobody: 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2015
damosthottest:
THIS WILL SHOCK MANY, A MASTERPIECE WRITTEN BY A NIGER DELTAN FROM URHOBO:

Thank God this is coming from a Deltan, which will also shock many who thinks that Igbos and Niger Deltans are not United, as they have tried to Divide us by State and Geo-political zones - Chike Michael.

Ena Ofugara from Urhobo wrote:

More On How A People Have Thrived in Adversity.
Four years into independence, three years before civil war, see how Nigeria was treating IGBOS
Now for you who may not understand why Igbos tried to leave the union, listen to parliamentarians.... Law makers in 1964 and tell me if it is your tribe you will not be like Ojukwu. Why would you want to be in a country where people treat you like this? Read for yourselves.
"Northern House Of Assembly Proceedings, February-March 1964
Below is an extract from the proceedings of the Northern Region House of Assembly between February and March 1964, less than four years after Nigeria’s independence from the British. I have nothing to add.

Read and judge for yourself:
Mallam Muhammadu Mustapha Mande Gyan:
On the allocation of plots to Ibos or allocation of stalls, I would like to advise the Minister that these people know how to make money, and we do not know the way and manner of getting about this business. We do not want Ibos to be allocated with plots. I do not want them to be given plots...

Mallam Bashari Umaru:
I would like (you), as a Minister of Land and Survey, to revoke forthwith all Certificates of Occupancy from the hands of the Ibos resident in the Region... (Applause).

Mr. A. A. Agogede:
I’m very glad that we are in a Moslem country, and the government of Northern Nigeria allowed some few Christians in the region to enjoy themselves according to the belief of their religion, but building of hotels should be taken away from the Igbos, and even if we find some Christians who are interested in building hotels and do not have money to do so, the government should aid them, instead of allowing Ibos to continue with their hotels.

Dr. Iya Abubakar (Special Member, Lecturer, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria):
I am one of the strong believers in Nigerian unity, and I have hoped for our having a united Nigeria, but certainly if the present state of affairs continues, I hope the government will investigate first the desirability and secondly the possibility of extending Northernisation policy to the petty traders. (Applause).

Mallam Mukhtar Bello:
I would like to say something very important, that the Minister should take my appeal to the Federal Government about the Igbos in the post office. I wish the numbers of these Igbos be reduced…. There are too many of them in the North. They are like sardines and 1 think they are just too dangerous to the Region.

Mallam Ibrahim Musa:
Mr. Chairman, Sir. Well first and foremost, what I have to say before this Hon. House is that we should send a delegation to meet our Hon. Premier to move a motion in this very Budget Session that all the Ibos working in the Civil Service of Northern Nigeria, including the native authorities, whether they are contractors or not, should be repatriated at once...

Mallam Bashari Umaru:
There should be no contracts either from the government, native authorities, or private enterprises given to Ibo contractors (Government Bench: Good talk and shouts of “Fire the Southerners”). Again, Mr. Chairman, the foreign firms too should be given time limit to replace all Ibo in their firms by some other people.

The Premier (Alhaji the Hon. Sir Ahmadu Bello, K.B.E., Sardauna of Sokoto):
It is my most earnest desire that every post in the region, however small it is, be filled by a Northerner (Applause)

Alhaji Usman Liman:
What brought the Ibos into this region? They were here since the colonial days. Had it not been for the colonial rule, there would hardly have been any Ibo in this region. Now that there is no colonial rule, the Ibos should go back to their region. There should be no hesitation about the matter.
Mr. Chairman, North is for Northerners, East for Easterners, West for Westerners, and the Federation is for us all. (Applause)

The Minister of Land and Survey (Alhaji the Hon. Ibrahim Musa Cashash, O.B.E.):
Mr. Chairman. Sir, I do not like to take up much of the time of this House in making explanations, but I would like to assure members that having heard their demands about Ibos holding land in Northern Nigeria, my ministry will do all it can to see that the demands of members are met. How to do this, when to do it, al1 these should not be disclosed. In due course, you will all see what will happen. (Applause).
Culled from M. O. Onyenakeya, Igbos in Nigerian Politics, pp.30-32

https://m./426888550813216?view=permalink&id=466671230168281
Welcome TO "ONE NIGERIA".

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by aishababa(f): 11:16pm On Aug 09, 2015
This man lives in the past trying to stir up old and stale regional hatred.

Why don't you also publish record of proceedings in the then Eastern Region house of Assembly and we can compare like with like?

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Nobody: 11:24pm On Aug 09, 2015
Icon4s:
This is jst a tip of d iceberge compared to what happened in 1966. My dad lost all his property in Kaduna where he worked then. The genocide was so intense that he trecked from Kaduna to Nsukka hiding in bushes during d day and walking at night.

I personelly believe the north is reaping from what dey sowed in d form of Boko Haram. I have no pitty for them at all.

And to those Igbos calling for Biafra in this 2015 u can see that there is no justifiable reason as at now for any government to grant us Biafra. We are nt under any form of torment or attack compared to what happened 1964-67.
Our fathers and grandfathers had paid d price for our survival as an Igbo race.Let them not observe from d great beyond how their children and grand children will suffer what dey suffered. They paid d expensive price so lets live in peace with our Nigerian neighbours
At first, I thought you're making sense but after reading your comment, I now realize how foolish and dumb you are. So, you don't know that history has a way of repeating itself? You are among the gullible igbos that wants to rot in this damnation there's no doubt about that. rubbish!!
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by backtosender: 12:30am On Aug 10, 2015
Ritchiee:
There are not even up to a tin load...not with this your poverty according to UNO arm- https://www.nairaland.com/2418994/ranking-nigerian-states-poverty-rates UNDP...
Look at this chimp...how can you use a yorooba formulated article just to make a point?i have told you several times to days of yoroooba propaganda is over and buried your Yoruba poverty index is fake just like ODUDUWA kingdom tell me how a poor state a poverty ridden state like Osun is 2nd in least poverty states hahahah you guys are jokers Mennh....yoroooba can make up different series about ODUDUWA therefore poor yoroooba kids will swallow those tales by moon light and start feeling funky oh yeaah we are trying to civilize you baboons it is our job to do so.......it is our assignment that must be accomplished
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by theDEVILisHERE: 6:17am On Aug 10, 2015
The younger generation could have solved this problem
But it seems they want to continue with the wrong doings of their fathers
Nature has a way of correcting wrong doings
This correction is inevitable
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 9:14am On Aug 10, 2015
backtosender:
Look at this chimp...how can you use a yorooba formulated article just to make a point?i have told you several times to days of yoroooba propaganda is over and buried your Yoruba poverty index is fake just like ODUDUWA kingdom tell me how a poor state a poverty ridden state like Osun is 2nd in least poverty states hahahah you guys are jokers Mennh....yoroooba can make up different series about ODUDUWA therefore poor yoroooba kids will swallow those tales by moon light and start feeling funky oh yeaah we are trying to civilize you baboons it is our job to do so.......it is our assignment that must be accomplished
You are really deluded.Are UNDP and Oxford University Yoruba establishments?
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by coolzeal(m): 10:46am On Aug 10, 2015
aishababa:
This man lives in the past trying to stir up old and stale regional hatred.

Why don't you also publish record of proceedings in the then Eastern Region house of Assembly and we can compare like with like?
I blame the profound Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe for the misfortune bequeathed unpon the Igbo's. Zik was the only true core nationalist in Nigeria in his day; and let me remind you that a Fulani from Sokoto has been the first Mayor of Enugu.

The land of the rising sun shall rise again. The hope is stronger than you can imagine.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Nobody: 11:06am On Aug 10, 2015
Ritchiee:
either you are a blind dunce or ignorant chump....maybe both.Anambra is 3rd on the list you knobhead.
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 2:46pm On Aug 10, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
either you are a blind dunce or ignorant chump....maybe both.Anambra is 3rd on the list you knobhead.
What I am trying to put into that your flat head is that Anambra 11.2% poverty rate is higher than Osun's10.9% poverty rate...Anambra state is poverty stricken to the extent that everyone of you is running to the South West... lol.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by backtosender: 8:53am On Aug 19, 2015
Ritchiee:
What I am trying to put into that your flat head is that Anambra 11.2% poverty rate is higher than Osun's10.9% poverty rate...Anambra state is poverty stricken to the extent that everyone of you is running to the South West... lol.
running to south west u mean lagos the most backward & dirtiest city in the world? CNN said it not me....even though is the former capital of the ZOO for so many years of course should have different tribes developing it
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Ritchiee: 9:40am On Aug 19, 2015
backtosender:
running to south west u mean lagos the most backward & dirtiest city in the world? CNN said it not me....even though is the former capital of the ZOO for so many years of course should have different tribes developing it
No,I mean South West...you are all over like bees swarming over a beehive and you came to South West with your dirtiness...yuk.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by aishababa(f): 8:56pm On Sep 02, 2015
coolzeal:
I blame the profound Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe for the misfortune bequeathed unpon the Igbo's. Zik was the only true core nationalist in Nigeria in his day; and let me remind you that a Fulani from Sokoto has been the first Mayor of Enugu.

The land of the rising sun shall rise again. The hope is stronger than you can imagine.

Unfettered bigotry! Sorry for your blindness!
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by kernel501: 10:10pm On Sep 02, 2015
spanishkid:
Ofugara or whatever he is called is a bastard child of a thousand fathers. Stop deceiving yourself ofugara cos an average urhobo man hates an igbo man. Stop trying to be relevant you idiot. Relate with them at your own peril. It was the relationship Gej had with them that made him lose to Buhari. Igbos can never trusted. They've shown us over the years that they are treacherous and won't waste time in annexing your land and calling it no man's land.

Are you scared that your tribe is turning 18 of age, and will never be spoon fed by the Igbos sooner or later.
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by kernel501: 10:18pm On Sep 02, 2015
lygn19:

Dat war cud have been avoided.
If Ojukwu had let down his guard and submitted to the federal govt, he had a bloated ego and he used the gullible igbos as pawns. He knew all odds were against him instead of him to stand down he went on with the war.
I ve watched dozens of Biafran documentary, there was even a time that the Biafran southeastern region of Cross Rivers were been attacked by the Nigeria forces by water and air bombardment by I think Adekunle, after they defeated them the Biafrans retreated inwards, they reached a point that they were expecting backup. The backup never came because the people that were suppose to come to defend dem had given there weapons to the battalion battling one force at Onitsha, imagine d rubbish.
D general in charge sent ojukwu a letter dat him and his army were going to take d supreme sacrifice and they all did.
Ojukwu knew he wasn't prepared, y waste d lives of the innocent to proove a senseless point.

Ojukwu fought for his believe and people, while Awolowo committed suicide without a fight... Who is the Hero?
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by kernel501: 10:22pm On Sep 02, 2015
lygn19:

Dat war cud have been avoided.
If Ojukwu had let down his guard and submitted to the federal govt, he had a bloated ego and he used the gullible igbos as pawns. He knew all odds were against him instead of him to stand down he went on with the war.
I ve watched dozens of Biafran documentary, there was even a time that the Biafran southeastern region of Cross Rivers were been attacked by the Nigeria forces by water and air bombardment by I think Adekunle, after they defeated them the Biafrans retreated inwards, they reached a point that they were expecting backup. The backup never came because the people that were suppose to come to defend dem had given there weapons to the battalion battling one force at Onitsha, imagine d rubbish.
D general in charge sent ojukwu a letter dat him and his army were going to take d supreme sacrifice and they all did.
Ojukwu knew he wasn't prepared, y waste d lives of the innocent to proove a senseless point.

Ojukwu fought for his believe and people, while Awolowo committed suicide without a fight... Who is the Hero?
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 02, 2015
Icon4s:
This is jst a tip of d iceberge compared to what happened in 1966. My dad lost all his property in Kaduna where he worked then. The genocide was so intense that he trecked from Kaduna to Nsukka hiding in bushes during d day and walking at night.

I personelly believe the north is reaping from what dey sowed in d form of Boko Haram. I have no pitty for them at all.

And to those Igbos calling for Biafra in this 2015 u can see that there is no justifiable reason as at now for any government to grant us Biafra. We are nt under any form of torment or attack compared to what happened 1964-67.
Our fathers and grandfathers had paid d price for our survival as an Igbo race.Let them not observe from d great beyond how their children and grand children will suffer what dey suffered. They paid d expensive price so lets live in peace with our Nigerian neighbours
one wise igbo in a long while. Others r jst bombastic, noisy and empty.

1 Like

Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by ugomma2000: 11:05pm On Sep 02, 2015
zeestunner:
Ena ofugara should stop being a hypocrite. The northerners have a right to determine how they want there region run. Its their land its their government. We should remember that at that time we had regional governments resources then belong to the regions not like now. Nobody would want to be dorminated by another in his territory. Where there northerners in the eastern civil service? Nobody should use education as an excuse. ahmadu bello was rite if u give them an inch they would want to claim everyting lagos is an example. Its only fair everybody protect his or her interest.

you are a big fool. The oil wells in the Niger delta, who run them, are they not the notherners.
When i say Nigerians has no brain, it is with exception of the ibos. Nigerians
especially hausa and yoruba dont have brains.

Look at your stupid talk.

you are afrai8d of ibos, yet you dont want to seceed, why? you arte afraid of them succeeding as a country.

zoo and zoologists. when a mallam is a president, things fall apart.
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by investnow2013: 11:59pm On Sep 02, 2015
damosthottest:
THIS WILL SHOCK MANY, A MASTERPIECE WRITTEN BY A NIGER DELTAN FROM URHOBO:

Thank God this is coming from a Deltan, which will also shock many who thinks that Igbos and Niger Deltans are not United, as they have tried to Divide us by State and Geo-political zones - Chike Michael.

Ena Ofugara from Urhobo wrote:

More On How A People Have Thrived in Adversity.
Four years into independence, three years before civil war, see how Nigeria was treating IGBOS
Now for you who may not understand why Igbos tried to leave the union, listen to parliamentarians.... Law makers in 1964 and tell me if it is your tribe you will not be like Ojukwu. Why would you want to be in a country where people treat you like this? Read for yourselves.
"Northern House Of Assembly Proceedings, February-March 1964
Below is an extract from the proceedings of the Northern Region House of Assembly between February and March 1964, less than four years after Nigeria’s independence from the British. I have nothing to add.

Read and judge for yourself:
Mallam Muhammadu Mustapha Mande Gyan:
On the allocation of plots to Ibos or allocation of stalls, I would like to advise the Minister that these people know how to make money, and we do not know the way and manner of getting about this business. We do not want Ibos to be allocated with plots. I do not want them to be given plots...

Mallam Bashari Umaru:
I would like (you), as a Minister of Land and Survey, to revoke forthwith all Certificates of Occupancy from the hands of the Ibos resident in the Region... (Applause).

Mr. A. A. Agogede:
I’m very glad that we are in a Moslem country, and the government of Northern Nigeria allowed some few Christians in the region to enjoy themselves according to the belief of their religion, but building of hotels should be taken away from the Igbos, and even if we find some Christians who are interested in building hotels and do not have money to do so, the government should aid them, instead of allowing Ibos to continue with their hotels.

Dr. Iya Abubakar (Special Member, Lecturer, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria):
I am one of the strong believers in Nigerian unity, and I have hoped for our having a united Nigeria, but certainly if the present state of affairs continues, I hope the government will investigate first the desirability and secondly the possibility of extending Northernisation policy to the petty traders. (Applause).

Mallam Mukhtar Bello:
I would like to say something very important, that the Minister should take my appeal to the Federal Government about the Igbos in the post office. I wish the numbers of these Igbos be reduced…. There are too many of them in the North. They are like sardines and 1 think they are just too dangerous to the Region.

Mallam Ibrahim Musa:
Mr. Chairman, Sir. Well first and foremost, what I have to say before this Hon. House is that we should send a delegation to meet our Hon. Premier to move a motion in this very Budget Session that all the Ibos working in the Civil Service of Northern Nigeria, including the native authorities, whether they are contractors or not, should be repatriated at once...

Mallam Bashari Umaru:
There should be no contracts either from the government, native authorities, or private enterprises given to Ibo contractors (Government Bench: Good talk and shouts of “Fire the Southerners”). Again, Mr. Chairman, the foreign firms too should be given time limit to replace all Ibo in their firms by some other people.

The Premier (Alhaji the Hon. Sir Ahmadu Bello, K.B.E., Sardauna of Sokoto):
It is my most earnest desire that every post in the region, however small it is, be filled by a Northerner (Applause)

Alhaji Usman Liman:
What brought the Ibos into this region? They were here since the colonial days. Had it not been for the colonial rule, there would hardly have been any Ibo in this region. Now that there is no colonial rule, the Ibos should go back to their region. There should be no hesitation about the matter.
Mr. Chairman, North is for Northerners, East for Easterners, West for Westerners, and the Federation is for us all. (Applause)

The Minister of Land and Survey (Alhaji the Hon. Ibrahim Musa Cashash, O.B.E.):
Mr. Chairman. Sir, I do not like to take up much of the time of this House in making explanations, but I would like to assure members that having heard their demands about Ibos holding land in Northern Nigeria, my ministry will do all it can to see that the demands of members are met. How to do this, when to do it, al1 these should not be disclosed. In due course, you will all see what will happen. (Applause).
Culled from M. O. Onyenakeya, Igbos in Nigerian Politics, pp.30-32

https://m./426888550813216?view=permalink&id=466671230168281
Re: How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo by OPCNAIRALAND: 2:42am On Sep 03, 2015
What is Ibo business in the North

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eastern Nigeria Development Ideas / Kado Yahaya Dies At Zamfara Collation Centre / Kogi: Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Faleke, Wada's Appeal Dismissal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.