Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". (3603 Views)

NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   / "I Haven't Watched Television Since 1990 " Says Pope Francis(photos) / The Origin Of AIDS: OPERATION MK-NAOMI (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 21, 2009
The Pope today reignited the controversy over the Catholic church's stance on condom use as he made his first trip to Africa.

The pontiff said condoms were not the answer to the continent's fight against HIV and Aids and could make the problem worse.

Benedict XVI made his comments as he flew to Cameroon for the first leg of a six-day trip that will also see him travelling to Angola.

The timing of his remarks outraged health agencies trying to halt the spread of HIV and Aids in sub-Saharan Africa, where an estimated 22 million people are infected.

The Roman Catholic church encourages sexual abstinence and fidelity to prevent the disease from spreading, but it is a policy that has divided some clergy working with Aids patients.

The pontiff, speaking to journalists on his flight, said the condition was "a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which even aggravates the problems".

Rebecca Hodes, of the Treatment Action Campaign in South Africa, said that if the Pope was serious about preventing new HIV infections he would focus on promoting wider access to condoms and spreading information about how best to use them.

Hodes, the director of policy, communication and research for the campaign group, added: "Instead, his opposition to condoms conveys that religious dogma is more important to him than the lives of Africans."

It is not the first time the Pope has made public remarks on the HIV/Aids outbreak ravaging the continent.

Shortly after becoming pontiff in 2005, he told senior Catholic clergy from Africa that, while the disease was a "cruel epidemic", it could not be cured through using condoms.

Addressing bishops from South Africa, Botswana, Swaziland, Namibia and Lesotho who had travelled to the Vatican for papal audience, he said: "The traditional teaching of the church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids."

He also warned them that African life was under threat from a number of factors, including condoms.

"It is of great concern that the fabric of African life, its very source of hope and stability, is threatened by divorce, abortion, prostitution, human trafficking and a contraception mentality," he added.

More than two-thirds – 67% – of the global total of 32.9 million people with HIV live in sub-Saharan Africa.

Three-quarters of all Aids deaths in 2007 happened there.

Africa is the fastest-growing region for the Roman Catholic church, which competes with Islam and evangelical churches.

The Pope also said today that he intended to make an appeal for "international solidarity" for Africa in the face of the global economic downturn.

He said that, while the church did not propose specific economic solutions, it could give "spiritual and moral" suggestions.

Describing the current crisis as the consequence of "a deficit of ethics in economic structures", he added: "It is here that the church can make a contribution."

Benedict dismissed claims that he was facing increasing opposition and isolation within the church, particularly after an outreach to ultra-conservatives led to him lifting the excommunication of a Holocaust-denying bishop.

"The myth of my solitude makes me laugh," he said, adding that he could count on the network of friends and aides he saw every day.

In a letter to Catholic bishops, released last week, he made an unusual public acknowledgment of Vatican mistakes over the rehabilitation of Bishop Richard Williamson.

While acknowledging that errors had been made in handling the affair, Benedict said he was saddened that he was criticised "with open hostility" even by those who "should have known better".

OMG!!! Can someone please tell this folks that comic books are not real and that they are based on someone's Fantasy. Pope saying condom helps spread aids? And he's coming to Africa to say this? Knowing the sheeps that we are in Africa, many will believe God sent him to say that and in turn stop using condoms.

Read the article.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/17/pope-africa-condoms-aids
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by MrCrackles(m): 9:55pm On Mar 21, 2009
Pope na you know oo! cheesy
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Nobody: 2:50pm On Mar 22, 2009
Arrant nonsense. Tell the pope to go and sit down or shut the Bleep up.
People are dying from HIV and someone is misyarning about condoms.
Instead of him to ship free condoms from europe to africa. anofia
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by texazzpete(m): 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2009
I guess you three apes are too stupid to comprehend what the Pope was getting at.
His point of view is that the aggressive focus on condom usage is spreading the message that using a condom removes any burden or obstacle to having indiscriminate sex. His point of view is that abstinence is the best solution for HIV prevention.

While this point of view may be somewhat naive as humans are usually too weak to resist their sexual urges, it doesn't make him a monster or make him deluded as you retards are quick to proclaim. Ultimately he would rather see a world in which people remained chaste until marriage as a solution to HIV than a world in which condom usage is made the 'solution' to HIV spread.

And no, even as a Catholic i do not agree with his opinion with regards condom use in marriages etc. But i have a healthy respect for his opinion.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Nobody: 6:59pm On Mar 22, 2009
texazzpete:

I guess you three apes are too stupid to comprehend what the Pope was getting at.
His point of view is that the aggressive focus on condom usage is spreading the message that using a condom removes any burden or obstacle to having indiscriminate sex. His point of view is that abstinence is the best solution for HIV prevention.

While this point of view may be somewhat naive as humans are usually too weak to resist their sexual urges, it doesn't make him a monster or make him deluded as you retards are quick to proclaim. Ultimately he would rather see a world in which people remained chaste until marriage as a solution to HIV than a world in which condom usage is made the 'solution' to HIV spread.

And no, even as a Catholic i do not agree with his opinion with regards condom use in marriages etc. But i have a healthy respect for his opinion.

You and the pope can go Bleep yourselves. If i choose to use a Love Machine in my marriage, it is between myself and my spouse. It is no ones business.
We need to stop all these stupid archaic beliefs. AIDS is bleeping killing our people. Preaching Abstinence is a waste of time. Man and Woman will continue to Bleep for as long as both sexes exist. Since we know peeps won't listen to the abstinence preach, don't u think its better to provide a solution that is at least 97% preventive. U and the Pope are bleeping retards. Until someone can tell me anywhere it is stated by GOD that we shouldn't use condoms, i say go Bleep urself.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by debosky(m): 7:05pm On Mar 22, 2009
texazzpete:

Ultimately he would rather see a world in which people remained chaste until marriage as a solution to HIV than a world in which condom usage is made the 'solution' to HIV spread.

I disagree texazzpete - it's like saying because we would rather everyone behaved, didn't steal and didn't rob, we should remove the police and prisons, and try to use moral suasion to get people to do the right thing 

I have no problems with the Pope promoting abstinence (as he should) but condemning condoms is not only wrong, it is inhuman. You cannot save someone  who is dead or convert them to Christianity. The first thing is to SAVE LIFE, that should be ABOVE ALL, not simply adherence to an idealistic at best world view.

Even in the bible, God knew man sinned and realised their unclothedness, but he made clothing to protect them.

The Pope is VERY wrong in condemning condoms and saying they help spread AIDS when it is clear that unprotected sex is the number 1 cause of spreading HIV, something that condoms would reduce by 97%. This is why I have an issue with 'religious' figures having so much influence - they tend to distort things and warp people's perceptions.

Condoms cannot increase the risk of AIDS over a current situation where people are having unprotected sex - that is not only untrue, it is a dangerous assertion that may cause more infections.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by texazzpete(m): 8:54pm On Mar 22, 2009
debosky:

I disagree texazzpete - it's like saying because we would rather everyone behaved, didn't steal and didn't rob, we should remove the police and prisons, and try to use moral suasion to get people to do the right thing 

I have no problems with the Pope promoting abstinence (as he should) but condemning condoms is not only wrong, it is inhuman. You cannot save someone  who is dead or convert them to Christianity. The first thing is to SAVE LIFE, that should be ABOVE ALL, not simply adherence to an idealistic at best world view.

Even in the bible, God knew man sinned and realised their unclothedness, but he made clothing to protect them.

The Pope is VERY wrong in condemning condoms and saying they help spread AIDS when it is clear that unprotected sex is the number 1 cause of spreading HIV, something that condoms would reduce by 97%. This is why I have an issue with 'religious' figures having so much influence - they tend to distort things and warp people's perceptions.

Condoms cannot increase the risk of AIDS over a current situation where people are having unprotected sex - that is not only untrue, it is a dangerous assertion that may cause more infections.

I never said i shared the same view as the Pope in this matter. I use condoms and i fully believe i alone have the right to determine what family planning method i use in my family (when i eventually marry). At least any method short of abortion grin
However, unlike what the deluded trio of A-town et al are spewing, he never came out to say it 'increases the risk of AIDS'. He said it 'aggravates the problem'. Is it so far fetched for a religious leader to opine that wide-scale condom promotion could encourage immorality?

He's speaking what he's expected to say as a religious leader, promoting abstinence, which is the preferred option for religious leaders. I'm not going to condemn him for that.
debosky:

There's a link to what the Pope actually said in the first post. Doesn't it make more sense to base your replies on what you deduce from his comments, rather than the somewhat misleading title of this post?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by MaiSuya(m): 9:24pm On Mar 22, 2009
texazzpete:

I never said i shared the same view as the Pope in this matter. I use condoms and i fully believe i alone have the right to determine what family planning method i use in my family (when i eventually marry). At least any method short of abortion  grin
However, unlike what the deluded trio of A-town et al are spewing, he never came out to say it 'increases the risk of AIDS'. He said it 'aggravates the problem'. Is it so far fetched for a religious leader to opine that wide-scale condom promotion could encourage immorality?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by spikedcylinder: 9:34pm On Mar 22, 2009
Why did the pope have to say anything about condoms at all?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Pataki: 9:41pm On Mar 22, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Just the right topic you do be found in. Isn't it? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by iReport: 10:03pm On Mar 22, 2009

Good point. People know how to misinterpret stuff. It's like the way they claimed that Rush big daddy Limbaugh prays Obama will fail.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 22, 2009
Pataki:

NL stalkerpolice, how did you find her here? grin
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 12:12am On Mar 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Pick up a Bible and maybe you will understand why people like the pope have an opinion on sexual promiscuity and possible consequences. grin
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Mar 23, 2009
A-town:

You and the pope can go Bleep yourselves. If i choose to use a Love Machine in my marriage, it is between myself and my spouse. It is no ones business.
We need to stop all these stupid archaic beliefs. AIDS is bleeping killing our people. Preaching Abstinence is a waste of time. Man and Woman will continue to Bleep for as long as both sexes exist. Since we know peeps won't listen to the abstinence preach, don't u think its better to provide a solution that is at least 97% preventive. U and the Pope are bleeping retards. Until someone can tell me anywhere it is stated by GOD that we shouldn't use condoms, i say go Bleep urself.

Any hopes you had of making any sense went right out the door the minute you posted the above. Learn to calm down, read, and analysis statements, before you jump to post responses.
First and foremost, you are wrong about the abstinence preaching. That preaching has been around from the beginning of and will likely continue even after AIDS seizes to be a source of fear. Secondly, since sexual intercourse remains a CHOICE and not a sentence, offering abstinence as an option, according to HIS RELIGIOUS belief, is not out of the question for a man like the pope. Both sexes can exist does not mean both sexes MUST have sex. Condoms are not answers; they are used for prevention and have never been touted as being 100%. The man is a religious man, whose religion teaches him that abstinence is the best answer and true to it, people who practice abstinence rarely worry about such things as sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS, unless for the occasional blood transfusions, or needle sharing which could be a problem. You may not agree with him; and may not even believe it is possible for a human being with blood in his veins to be abstinent, does not mean he is wrong in his declarations above. roflmao!!!
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Nobody: 4:07am On Mar 23, 2009
@Texazzpete, pls tell em'
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Nobody: 6:49am On Mar 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Any hopes you had of making any sense went right out the door the minute you posted the above. Learn to calm down, read, and analysis statements, before you jump to post responses.
First and foremost, you are wrong about the abstinence preaching. That preaching has been around from the beginning of and will likely continue even after AIDS seizes to be a source of fear. Secondly, since sexual intercourse remains a CHOICE and not a sentence, offering abstinence as an option, according to HIS RELIGIOUS belief, is not out of the question for a man like the pope. Both sexes can exist does not mean both sexes MUST have sex. Condoms are not answers; they are used for prevention and have never been touted as being 100%. The man is a religious man, whose religion teaches him that abstinence is the best answer and true to it, people who practice abstinence rarely worry about such things as sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS, unless for the occasional blood transfusions, or needle sharing which could be a problem. You may not agree with him; and may not even believe it is possible for a human being with blood in his veins to be abstinent, does not mean he is wrong in his declarations above. roflmao!!!

Ok this is forum and i don't give a flying Bleep about what you think. I have no need to create that sense of "Mr always saying the right/intellectual thing"
I say what i want to say when and how i want to say it. The fact that i curse does not mean i am aggravated or anything. I use those words cause i fucking want to
My issue is this. Stop being bleeping pussies. Abstinence works in the ideal situation. There are 25 yr old grandmothers and grandfathers living amongst us.
Face the facts, abstinence battle is almost lost. I am not saying a condom is the solution. All i am saying is why the heck will someone tell me that it is wrong to sue a condom in my own goddamn marriage. Whether we like it or not, condoms save lives and prevents the spread of HIV by 97%.
A recent research showed that normal women are more likely to contract HIV than prostitutes because most prostitutes insist on using condoms.

@texazpette
where did i state that the pope said condoms increase "the rist of aids"
You are the real retard.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by spikedcylinder: 7:59am On Mar 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Pick up a Bible and maybe you will understand why people like the pope have an opinion on sexual promiscuity and possible consequences.  grin

Madam, I don't need to pick up a bible before I know that a Pope is a very influential figure in the lives of millions of people and whatever he says usually informs the decisions of these people.

The man came to Africa (the bedrock of HIV Aids) to say that condoms increase the risk of HIV AIDS and you think he was doing his "religious duty"?  . He may have meant it figuratively but this is Africa and people hardly think outside the box. They assume: "The pope says using condoms will give me more diseases, why should I bother to use it"?

Fine, he's a religious leader and his religious beliefs state that contraceptives are a big no-no but is that a realistic thing to preach in present day Africa? Think about it.

Whether you like it or not, the Pope is about to be responsible for more deaths in Africa. undecided

Oh I almost forgot - " grin grin grin".
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by AloyEmeka9: 8:03am On Mar 23, 2009
na wah for this catholic hatred among Nigerians. Oyibos are not this biased about religion. pope stand up dem complain. he sits down, dem complain. where is onu ukpaka/karamamod to help nail his coffin?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by spikedcylinder: 8:09am On Mar 23, 2009
I doubt if I care about catholics enough to hate them.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by spikedcylinder: 8:10am On Mar 23, 2009
Pataki:

Same to you darling. kiss tongue
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by texazzpete(m): 10:59am On Mar 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Madam, I don't need to pick up a bible before I know that a Pope is a very influential figure in the lives of millions of people and whatever he says usually informs the decisions of these people.

The man came to Africa (the bedrock of HIV Aids) to say that condoms increase the risk of HIV AIDS and you think he was doing his "religious duty"? . He may have meant it figuratively but this is Africa and people hardly think outside the box. They assume: "The pope says using condoms will give me more diseases, why should I bother to use it"?

Fine, he's a religious leader and his religious beliefs state that contraceptives are a big no-no but is that a realistic thing to preach in present day Africa? Think about it.

Whether you like it or not, the Pope is about to be responsible for more deaths in Africa. undecided

Where exactly did the Pope say those words.

The irony of the situation is that you do not realise your words contradict themselves. So on one hand, the Pope is so influential that his words will make people stop using condoms. On the other hand he lacks influence so his call for abstinence will not make people stop indiscriminate sex, right?

spikedcylinder:

I doubt if I care about catholics enough to hate them.

There's something really wrong with this statement. treat human beings for what they are worth, and not based on their religious denomination. If Catholics cared nothing for Pentecostals, Anglicans treated Latter Day peeps with disdain and Jehovah Witnesses couldn't give a fig about Baptists, where would we be today?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by spikedcylinder: 12:16pm On Mar 23, 2009
texazzpete:

Where exactly did the Pope say those words.

The irony of the situation is that you do not realise your words contradict themselves. So on one hand, the Pope is so influential that his words will make people stop using condoms. On the other hand he lacks influence so his call for abstinence will not make people stop indiscriminate sex, right?

You said it yourself (or was that Kobo? ), humans are weak and can hardly subdue sexual urges. In respect to that, even though Africans are "highly religious", they cannot follow everything written in the bible through.
I don't think the pope should have said anything about condoms or whatever. Promote abstinence as you must but don't say condoms increase HIV risks. I'm basing this on the article posted in the link on this thread. smiley

There's something really wrong with this statement. treat human beings for what they are worth, and not based on their religious denomination. If Catholics cared nothing for Pentecostals, Anglicans treated Latter Day peeps with disdain and Jehovah Witnesses couldn't give a fig about Baptists, where would we be today?

My statement was referring to Aloy Emeka who assumed I hate Catholics because of my post.
However, for the purpose of learning and clarification, please point out the disdain in any of my posts here. Thank you. smiley
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by texazzpete(m): 12:46pm On Mar 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

You said it yourself (or was that Kobo? ), humans are weak and can hardly subdue sexual urges. In respect to that, even though Africans are "highly religious", they cannot follow everything written in the bible through.
I don't think the pope should have said anything about condoms or whatever. Promote abstinence as you must but don't say condoms increase HIV risks. I'm basing this on the article posted in the link on this thread. smiley

What the article said was that the Pope used the words 'aggravates the problem'. What i infer from this is that he's referring to the vigorous condom campaign, and his concern that such blanket guarantees of safety from condom usage may spur youths to be more sexually aggressive, thus leaving them more susceptible to HIV.

I can share a personal experience to buttress my point; a colleague and I were working in Bonny and he started talking about going out to find a woman to sleep with. When i reminded him that Bonny has one of the highest population of HIV carriers in Nigeria, all he said was that he would use condom! In such a high risk area, why tempt fate even with condom usage?

I don't subscribe to his point of view on condom usage, but that doesn't mean i can see no good intentions in his stand.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 2:59pm On Mar 23, 2009
A-town:

Ok this is forum and i don't give a flying Bleep about what you think. I have no need to create that sense of "Mr always saying the right/intellectual thing"
Hmmm. . . . na low self-esteem be this?? Lol

A-town:

I say what i want to say when and how i want to say it. The fact that i curse does not mean i am aggravated or anything. I use those words cause i fucking want to
There is a time for everything. I still do not understand the need for the F word on this thread especially when the article is CLEAR on what was said.
A-town:

My issue is this. Stop being bleeping pussies. Abstinence works in the ideal situation. There are 25 yr old grandmothers and grandfathers living amongst us.
Because there are 25 year old grandmothers amongst us, should we re-define morality? Should we move the bars to accommodate them or something? Should we maybe move around our laws to accommodate these people or should we press on for higher standards as we have in the past regardless?
A-town:

Face the facts, abstinence battle is almost lost. I am not saying a condom is the solution. All i am saying is why the heck will someone tell me that it is wrong to sue a condom in my own goddamn marriage. Whether we like it or not, condoms save lives and prevents the spread of HIV by 97%.

First, there is and has never been an abstinence battle. If you actually considered the preaching a BATTLE then maybe there is your problem; that you see this as a competition of some sort. The man is head over the catholic religion and it is according to his belief that it is wrong. By the way, people in marriages are not really the ones he is preaching abstinence to. Please learn to read already. Nowhere does he say that condoms don’t help. He states that they are not cures and that abstinence still remains the ultimate solution, which is correct. Why do you have a hard time understanding that?
A-town:

A recent research showed that normal women are more likely to contract HIV than prostitutes because most prostitutes insist on using condoms.
Normal women are more likely to contract HIV than prostitutes? You mean normal women who do not have sex? Isn’t the main issue having sex or not here? What the heck does the above even mean?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 3:12pm On Mar 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Hhhmm. . . . I meant pick up the bible to understand why the pope would speak up against sexual promiscuity in our society today. But then again, if you really believed that his words informed the decisions made by people, then why do we still have a large number in the catholic society struggling with the same?
spikedcylinder:

The man came to Africa (the bedrock of HIV Aids) to say that condoms increase the risk of HIV AIDS and you think he was doing his "religious duty"?
YEP! He was. He was simply calling for more people to make a decision for abstinence. Those who choose abstinence would not need to worry about contracting AIDS through sexual intercourse, or would they?
spikedcylinder:

He may have meant it figuratively but this is Africa and people hardly think outside the box. They assume: "The pope says using condoms will give me more diseases, why should I bother to use it"?
But the pope did not say that. The Pope said Abstinence is still better than using condoms, which if you think about is remains true to date. So if a person says to self that the pope says using condoms will lead to more diseases but does not choose abstinence, do we blame the pope for the person’s ignorant choices still? Come one!!

spikedcylinder:

Actually it is realistic. I am African, I am not even catholic, I subscribe to that belief and do not need to worry much about AIDS. Just because we have ignorant idiots all over the place in Africa does not mean the message is the problem. That’s sort of like saying do not preach against POLIO in the north because some ignorant buffoons up there think that vaccinations are evil and what not, and so it is not practical to preach such up there.
There are Catholics everywhere else on the planet who hear the same words. How come they are not all dying of AIDS in much the same way?
spikedcylinder:

I don’t think he is responsible for the death of those who not to head his message but ignorantly pick out bits to appease their lust, just as the gun manufacturers are not responsible for the thousands killed by the many ignorant Africans who go around shooting their neighbors armed with one stupid tribal excuse or the other.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 3:22pm On Mar 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

[color=#000099]You said it yourself (or was that Kobo? ), humans are weak and can hardly subdue sexual urges. In respect to that, even though Africans are "highly religious", they cannot follow everything written in the bible through.
Lol . . . I am sorry, you have the wrong Kobo. I would NEVER EVER say such a thing. Humans are weak but we still have ability to control ourselves no matter what. So, I don’ believe people cannot subdue their sexual urges. I think that reasoning is not in line with reality considering that we continue to date to subdue those urges in public, unlike animals. Please, try to speak for self and not for all of Africa. It is possible that you personally do not believe you can follow all that is written in the Bible but that is not true for all other people. There are still millions there in Africa who follow what is written in the bible as is, though they are not as loud as those who do not. So you cannot conclude that no one can when that is not the case. IT still remains a choice here. You choose to follow or you choose not to follow. Some pick and choose; while others choose to follow 100% and the rest ignore 100%. This has absolutely nothing to do with the pope or the message.

spikedcylinder:

Read what he said again please.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by JustGood(m): 4:19pm On Mar 23, 2009
I'm not a fan of the pope but he did not say anywhere there that condoms increase HIV risk.

He's encouraging people to try and practice abstinence (which is the best way to curb the spread of the virus). It's better than encouraging people to have sex and relying on condoms.

I have always said that the educated and the internet savvy people are the ones dragging the world into an abyss of doom. What's wrong with the pope expressing a preference for a better option?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by DaPhoenix(f): 9:11pm On Mar 23, 2009
Jjavascript:void(0);ustGood:

I'm not a fan of the pope but he did not say anywhere there that condoms increase HIV risk.

The pontiff said condoms were not the answer to the continent's fight against HIV and Aids and could make the problem worse.

@topic, I'm not against preaching abstinence, but his power, especially in Africa, where millions of people are Catholic and hold the Pope's words as complete truth hold the potential for unforeseeable amounts of death. (Being dramatic, but honestly though). Condoms, as we all already know combined with other preventative measures are our only hopes for stopping the spread of HIV/AIDS right now in Africa. And until there is a cure, we can't be ignorant about the power of a rubber. It's not fair that our country should be treated as ignorant, he's feeding material (religion) without logic and it's a deadly combination. (No puns intended wink ).
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 9:18pm On Mar 23, 2009
DaPhoenix:

@topic, I'm not against preaching abstinence, but his power, especially in Africa, where millions of people are Catholic and hold the Pope's words as complete truth hold the potential for unforeseeable amounts of death.

If it were really the case that people actually listened to him as much as you claimed, then do we have much to worry about since he is basically telling them abstinence is still the best option. Condoms are not 100% but an abstinent person has zero chances of contracting a SEXUALLY transmitted disease. What in the world is hard to understand in that.  I don’t know why anyone would worry if another chooses abstinence as way to prevent AIDS and all? Why would someone who is ABSTINENT have to worry about DEATH? Why?

DaPhoenix:

(Being dramatic, but honestly though). Condoms, as we all already know combined with other preventative measures are our only hopes for stopping the spread of HIV/AIDS right now in Africa.
Bull. . . . Not our only hope. Abstinence is also a choice on that list. Not sure why people get so infuriated when it is mentioned, even in the way that the pope does, in this case.
DaPhoenix:

And until there is a cure, we can't be ignorant about the power of a rubber. It's not fair that our country should be treated as ignorant, he's feeding material (religion) without logic and it's a deadly combination. (No puns intended wink ).
Material without logic? What the heck does that even mean? He is simply saying abstinence is still the best option and you are saying there is no logic behind that? Are you for real? You mean it is IMPOSSIBLE for a person who chooses not to have sex to not die of AIDS?
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by DaPhoenix(f): 9:41pm On Mar 23, 2009
Kobojunkie:

If it were really the case that people actually listened to him as much as you claimed, then do we have much to worry about since he is basically telling them abstinence is still the best option. Condoms are not 100% but an abstinent person has zero chances of contracting a SEXUALLY transmitted disease. What in the world is hard to understand in that.  I don’t know why anyone would worry if another chooses abstinence as way to prevent AIDS and all? Why would someone who is ABSTINENT have to worry about DEATH? Why?

He's been giving that abstinence message for a while now and some of them have adopted it and have purity rings and what not but many due to their high sex drive find that hard to follow. Plus, we are talking about a place where one of the tests of manhood is how many women you can have, so abstinence is not really an option and the HIV rate is at an all time high. Now, if a relatively new method let's call it, safer sex practices, comes up and it seems to be working and it is seen that the rate is decreasing, why shoot it down? I wouldn't have complained if he didn't say that condoms made it worse.

Kobojunkie:

Material without logic? What the heck does that even mean? He is simply saying abstinence is still the best option and you are saying there is no logic behind that? Are you for real? You mean it is IMPOSSIBLE for a person who chooses not to have sex to not die of AIDS?

You don't go to a continent swamped with HIV meaning they have a huge sex life and tell them "Oh you have to stop having sex" like it's that easy. Like I said before I would have preferred if he said nothing about the condoms and just went on preaching about abstinence.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by Kobojunkie: 10:04pm On Mar 23, 2009
DaPhoenix:

He's been giving that abstinence message for a while now and some of them have adopted it and have purity rings and what not but many due to their high sex drive find that hard to follow.
When you adopt the abstinence message preached by the pope, you don’t worry about STDS, but the minute you decide the pope’s message is no longer for you, do we still conclude that you are still listening to the pope? I am not exactly sure why you want to tie those two together in the way you seem to want to here.
If you find it hard to follow, then you no longer adopt the pope’s message and you find a message that suits your NEW choice, and it is not the pope’s problem what you choose next. That is up to you as an individual.
DaPhoenix:

Plus, we are talking about a place where one of the tests of manhood is how many women you can have, so abstinence is not really an option and the HIV rate is at an all time high.
You are kidding me, right? Please tell me you are joking. There is a difference between ego issues and reality. There are many men down there who live abstinent till the day they wed, and even after remain with the same woman. Please, let us stop making ridiculous excuses for the situation we find ourselves in today. In the African sense of things, Abstinence has never really a foreign concept, so I am not sure what the world you are claiming is the case above.
DaPhoenix:

Now, if a relatively new method let's call it, safer sex practices, comes up and it seems to be working and it is seen that the rate is decreasing, why shoot it down? I wouldn't have complained if he didn't say that condoms made it worse.
Well, did you read what he said or did you just loose it when you read on the line on condoms making it worse?
DaPhoenix:

You don't go to a continent swamped with HIV meaning they have a huge sex life and tell them "Oh you have to stop having sex" like it's that easy.
The problem is he never said that. He simply preached that abstinence is the best option and based on his being a religious leader, not sure why that to you is unacceptable. Plus, the catholic religion has mostly been against sexual promiscuity from the beginning and it is not now going to change its stance on the issue just because some find it hard to accept these days. If it is not for you, then don’t worry about it.
DaPhoenix:

Like I said before I would have preferred if he said nothing about the condoms and just went on preaching about abstinence.
I think what he said is clear. Condoms are not 100% but we know that people assume they are even when there remains the 3% or there about chance that the condom will not work for you. You may have a problem with him preaching for abstinence and pointing out the truth about condoms but he does have a point and I am glad he made it.
Re: Condoms Increases Risk Of Aids: Says "pope". by mustafar1: 10:14pm On Mar 23, 2009
people make so much noise about sex and HIV. yet the whole village goes to the same barber who uses the same clipper to cut and shape up every tunji, danjuma and ugo's hair.

if you abstain or decide to use gloves yet go ahead and get a haircut from a barber that uses the village clipper then u might as well cut the bullmanure and inject urself wit hit already.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ibb For President: An Exercise In Futility / Abuja Killings: Ig Withdraws Riot Policemen From Fct Banks ! / As A Citizen Of Nigeria, What Have You Benefit From GEJ Adminstration.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.