Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,630 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:36 PM

Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect (23683 Views)

8 Types Of Nigerians That Will Leave You Frustrated When You Meet Them / Nigerians And Their Respective Way Of Thinking / Nigerians And Kenyans Attack One Another On Twitter (hilarious!) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by kennyman2000(m): 4:55pm On Aug 10, 2015
Hmmmm... Very touchy..
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by longayink: 4:55pm On Aug 10, 2015
More than 69% of Nigerians, including those you believe that are middle-class suffer from abject poverty.
Legacy of poor education system and infrastructure laid by military dictatorship worsened the poverty problems.

Most of Nigeria's population is barely educated. Because even most of those that passed through Nigeria's universities are barely educated.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by henrysam(m): 4:56pm On Aug 10, 2015
Bros, the bible says the poor shall not be finished in the land.
But me and my family will not be part of them

1 Like

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by gabe15(m): 4:57pm On Aug 10, 2015
nice article. and yet some people will still kill der self cuz of dia selfish greedy and wicked politician
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by tritt(m): 4:59pm On Aug 10, 2015
Its ok....
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by MrCounselor: 4:59pm On Aug 10, 2015
You just bled someone's heart.

1 Like

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 10, 2015
My people perish because they lack knowledge.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by longayink: 5:02pm On Aug 10, 2015
Worse is that today, Nigeria still remains with the leadership of pretenders to education - led by a president accused of not possessing O'Level certificate.

4 Likes

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by flowjoe: 5:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
Hard truth

1 Like

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by Abdul4success(m): 5:06pm On Aug 10, 2015
Tell them cuz many are still blindfolded in this country

1 Like

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by Sanchez01: 5:08pm On Aug 10, 2015
Unemployed youths and other low income earners are not exempted as they would do anything to spread a false gospel of a thieving politician as long as they are compensated with data bundles and little cash to feed for the moment. It was just two weeks ago one of the popular internet warriors confessed to me that during the period of the election, he was given 5GB weekly and N20,000 each month he participated in responding to messages that will affect the credibility of his
candidate.
Unfortunately, a lot of them are here on Nairaland. This article is coming rather late. The writer should rebrand the article, keep it and wait for another general election so as to awaken and open the eyes of jobless youths who would readily die to defend corruption.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by engrMikemd(m): 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2015
nice one
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by atlwireles: 5:10pm On Aug 10, 2015
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.

You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.

You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.

And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

William J. H. Boetcker

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by MNDY(m): 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2015
Its bearing on corruption? When asked by my lecturer recently why he couldn't get good groundnuts without the bad ones forming a vast percentage! I told him that on this side of the map, the next man exhibits corrupt tendencies as engendered by corruption!
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by longayink: 5:11pm On Aug 10, 2015
Prosperity of any nation in today's world depends on the country having a well-educated leadership which can fashion policies that bring prosperity. It is not by leadership that promised to fight corruption. Corruption exists in nearly every country.
When most of Nigeria's electorate made their choice of leadership last presidential election, one needed no oracle to tell that Nigeria's population are most ill-informed and ill- educated. They chose more poverty.
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by basille(m): 5:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
The mentality and mindset needs to be changed first. Sometimes i feel most Nigerians are programmed to think like slaves.

3 Likes

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by mascori(m): 5:23pm On Aug 10, 2015
I just hope the average nigerian changes their mentallity

1 Like

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by front247: 5:27pm On Aug 10, 2015
That is y i say u people should not fight over dos apc and pdp thieves tell dem to fulfill thier campaign promises.
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by Nigel1: 5:28pm On Aug 10, 2015
Towards a better NIGERIA, Towards a better WORLD...

The FEDP Forum is an initiative that envisions the collaboration of engineers (Oil, Gas, Power, Systems) around the world for the sole purpose of sharing industry/field-based challenges and problems as well as innovative ideas and solutions to both our NATIONAL and GLOBAL PROBLEMS.

Side attractions include weekly quizzes that aim to sharpen the knowledge and skills of all forum members. First correct set of answers received weekly is rewarded with the cash prize of the week as advertised on the Forum's home page.

A platform for healthy and productive debates on topics that cut across all spheres is also provided.

For more information, please visit the FEDP Forum - http://fedpforum.epcmengineers.com.

TWITTER: FEDPForum
FACEBOOK: FEDP Forum

Regards,
Nigel K.

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by longayink: 5:32pm On Aug 10, 2015
atlwireles:
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.

You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.

You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.

And you cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

William J. H. Boetcker

Very sound quotes.

Bring that home to our Nigeria -
The weak cannot lead the strong and expect good results.
The barely-educated cannot lead the educated ones and expect good results.

From 1966 Nigeria up to the about 7 years interruption by late Yar'Adua and Jonathan, the weak had led the strong till today. Note: even if the weak leader employs the strong to help to govern, the bulk still stops on the table of the weak leader.

Nigerians are deceived now with stories of fight against corruption. As if corruption is not in America, Britain, Japan, Switzerland, and other countries with high citizens well-being.

In a good country, it is the police that fights corruption, not the president or prime minister of the country. President or Prime minister is preoccupied with fashioning prosperity programs.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by cccxxiii: 5:38pm On Aug 10, 2015
mmsen:
What does the government have to do with people born into poverty who then have several children, also born into poverty? That is the greatest cause of poverty and an overwhelming security risk.

Is that a government responsibility or is that personal responsibility?

I would venture to add that without polygamy and the subsequent poverty as a result, there would be no Boko Haram.

What of the ignorant religious leaders who advise their flock to go forth and multiply knowing that many in their congregation struggle to take care of themselves?

Good point Sir but I think the government can regulate the number of children. The very essence of a government is for the overall wellbeing and welfare of the masses. A developing country like China for example has laws prohibiting more than one offspring. That maybe because of their booming population but it also has economic implication.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by Bibidear(f): 5:38pm On Aug 10, 2015
Nice write up
Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by mankand(m): 5:40pm On Aug 10, 2015
Your writeup is a masterpiece. I'm very honoured to have come across your thread. It is high time Nigerians wake up, the responsibility is left for me and you and not expecting the government, jesus or allah to solve our problems.

First step by getting the right educational resources to read, you can't expect the oppressors to give you the right education that will empower you to go after their heads.

This is a game changer for Nigeria and the youths are to take the front seat. We need revolution of the mind first before the physical revolution can take place. It will enable us identify whom our oppressors are, it will enable us identify the sellouts among us

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by mmsen: 5:42pm On Aug 10, 2015
cccxxiii:

Good point Sir but I think the government can regulate the number of children. The very essence of a government is for the overall wellbeing and welfare of the masses. A developing country like China for example has laws prohibiting more than one offspring. That maybe because of their booming population but it also has economic implication.

China is the exception, not the norm. They have an entirely different system of government.

The Chinese realized that the majority would not be able to feel the benefit of any reforms without a slowdown in population growth. For whatever reason people at the bottom of the social pyramid seem to have a peculiar need to have more children than they can cater for, this is a universal trait and the reason why large swathes of India's population are not feeling the benefit of their increasing national fortune.

Most nations (democracies especially) leave the issue of childbirth to the individual, or at least pretend to (Sweden used to forcibly sterilize its own citizens until the mid 1970s).

I would have no issue with a one child policy but you can imagine how the religious bodies and and their sheep would kick against it. Sadly their influence in Nigeria is very real and almost completely negative.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by GodMode: 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2015
chronique:
True. Nigeria is a very rich nation but we're ranked amongst the world's poorest nations. The way that we live,reason and behave got me feeling and believing that we're living in a "psychiatric nation". So long as our leaders keep playing God in our lives and we keep giving them the opportunity to do so,we'd continually live as slaves to them.

There's also a silent epidemic ravaging Nigeria today,which most people haven't taken note of. There seems to be an upsurge in the number of silly and gullible Nigerians being developed daily. Nairaland and the last elections,has afforded me the opportunity of knowing that for a fact. The way some people vehemently defend some politicians and political parties with all their being even when they are sounding very stupid,could be quite amazing. The two things that I personally see as destroying the psyche of most Nigerians,are "poverty of the mind" and "stupidity and the constant act of being gullible".

The OP answer the bold part... They are paid to defend politicians... There are many paid illiterate on NL their job is to say praise politicians...

Just read any thread where the topic has a politician's name in the heading..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by shidof(m): 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2015
anonimi:
[img]https://www.nairaland.com/avatars/ngpqy14me9hk5qty8uc53ap8iowc4elq1111115[/img]

The above may help alleviate the poverty MENTALITY amongst us.
Thanks shidof smiley
Dn't mention bro

1 Like

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by mikolo80: 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2015
It is true that when a man stays in the dark for too long, he begins to see clearly and this is the case with most Nigerians living in poverty. It is no news that 69 percent of Nigeria’s population leave in abject poverty but painfully a lot have accepted it as a way of life to the extent that they regard wealth as the prerogative of a selected few.

called ignorance

It is true that when a man stays in the dark for too long, he begins to see clearly and this is the case with most Nigerians living in poverty. It is no news that 69 percent of Nigeria’s population leave in abject poverty but painfully a lot have accepted it as a way of life to the extent that they regard wealth as the prerogative of a selected few.
Take a look at the last election; I found it ludicrous seeing Nigerians struggle for face caps and T-shirts. Some political contestants shared tin-tomatoes, rice and other items but I must admit that these petty items successfully bought the conscience of some electorates. It is in this country politicians claim heroic status by customizing sachet toothpaste and with guts throw biscuits to people on the streets while they wave two fingers in the air from their open roof stretched cars and in excitement people fall over each other to pick biscuits from the floor. In appreciation, the people chant songs in local dialects to celebrate a man who has virtually done nothing for them but has temporarily solved their hunger problem.

see, you're displaying your ignorance,it's not only Nigeria that practices clientelIsm, google it

Unemployed youths and other low income earners are not exempted as they would do anything to spread a false gospel of a thieving politician as long as they are compensated with data bundles and little cash to feed for the moment. It was just two weeks ago one of the popular internet warriors confessed to me that during the period of the election, he was given 5GB weekly and N20,000 each month he participated in responding to messages that will affect the credibility of his candidate.

Esau also sold his birthright due to hunger so don't blame them

Poverty is like a plague and its endless manifestation on our people gets so scary that one is forced to believe that the present economic reality is a deliberate attempt by the ruling class to sustain the gap between the poor and the rich for selfish motives.

man made plague that you're Just getting

How do you describe the Kaduna State Beggars Association who recently threatened to pull down the government of Gov. El-Rufai? It indeed goes a long way to show you the danger of poverty especially when a human being finds dignity in begging.

is all about packaging, think NGOs (aka corporate begging)

How do you describe the large crowd that come out in protest when the EFCC arrest public officers? How do you describe the shameless display by the women who came out Unclad to protest the arrest of a former governor of Delta State in 2010 despite poverty ravaging the land? How do you describe the protest by some Igbo youths in Enugu to prevent the sack of Stella Oduah despite the miracle she performed with the huge amount spent on purchasing bullet proof vehicles or even the shameless Bayelsa youths warning the EFCC against prosecuting Sylva? In all of these, politicians enjoy the loot alone but when called for interrogation, they are quick to give as little as N500 each to the poor who carry placards with warnings in attempts to stop the EFCC from doing its job. The people are mentally imprisoned and the politicians capitalize on this fact by depriving them of basic necessities. if e pain you why you no share 1 milliom to dem come see if them go collect 500 from the next politician

Last week there were fears over cholera outbreak in Udu Local Government of Delta State and with special thanks to God, our fears were allayed when the Delta state government debunked the claims but the reality on ground is the fact that despite the huge allocation received by Delta State, many communities do not have portable water.

when well river and strong backs full ground

Residents of Udu Local Government fetch water to drink from the well while some go to the stream to get water to drink but these are the same people who come out to sing praises of their representatives and stage massive protests at any mention of probe.

why should they fight for you,they are comfortable, you're the one drinking another man's headache panadol

A probe is simply a thorough investigation into a matter and even though former Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan is an itsekiri man like me, I’ll be most delighted to see him probed.

then you better go and join efcc or code of conduct or become a legislator
instead of the blowing grammars online

I have not accused him of anything but Nigerians must stop ethnic bigotry and demand for good governance.

why do you think you can fight nature with grammar

As Nigerians we must ask ourselves, how has the government impacted on the common man on the street?

wetin concine you, the common man complain?

Has the government made life easy for me by providing basic amenities like portable water, accessible roads and hospitals among others? Do I have value for the taxes I pay?

how that one take concine us

If your answer to any of these questions is negative, your governor can be considered a failure.

not if he wins a second term and installs the next generation of looters he's not

You will agree with me that it certainly calls for deliverance when youths lacking access to these basic amenities spit fire over social media in defense of the same governors or representatives who have stolen from common patrimony.

nope, just for ppl like you to stfu and become politicians and /educate the masses by showing them (what good governance looks like) instead of speaking big big English online or in newspaper or TV or radio or barber shop or taxi etc

Let me use this opportunity to remind the bigots and the poor men used as touts during elections that these political thieves they defend fall sick and are flown abroad for immediate treatment. Let me also remind these bigots and poor men used as touts that the children of our public office holders attend Foreign Universities where the academic calendar is uninterrupted but the poor men can only see pictures of these foreign universities on blogs. Let me also remind them that the life in developed countries and life in Nigeria can be described as day and night. It is deliberate wickedness on the part of our leaders who tour developed countries and find it difficult to replicate what is seen abroad in Nigeria.
not really, mainly ignorance on their part as well. they don't know any better way of tackling such humongous problems

It is time to demand that children of public office holders school in Nigeria maybe then Nigerian Universities will get the needed attention from the government. It is also time to demand that public office holders receive treatment in Nigeria maybe then the government will focus on building a state of the art facility that will measure up with foreign standards and issues of striking medical workers will become history.
who exactly Will leave his job to demand what he doesn't know is possible

We must remind ourselves that the effect of bad leadership is not necessarily felt by the leader but the citizens and this explains the rising insecurity. Painfully that poor policeman who cannot fend for his family is given arms to protect the overfed politician. Painfully that poor policeman who resides in the barracks with dilapidated structures is made to beat up poor men in the name of protecting his Oga. We must remember that people who died in the last elections were all children of the poor.
who said they should not be rich

You must remember that the peanut received from politicians will take care of a meal for a short period but the gains of good governance are everlasting and this explains why politicians will bid you farewell after the expiration of their tenure to relax in countries that are properly planned by sincere leaders.
what use is forever if voter dies of hunger today

As I open your eyes to the truth, kindly pray that the Former Petroleum Minister recovers fully and God should give her strength so that she can hurriedly come back home to account for her years in the Petroleum Ministry.

I hope she withers and dies a slow miserable death and we get updates about it and ppl dance and celebrate in the streets each time it gdtptwmppd and she watches and is made an example of coz we all know Nigeria ain't getting shitt back from that witch
God bless Nigeria he already has, the land is green, lots of minerals and some hard working (read desperate) citizens. only leadership is lacking at all levels
Buwa Meldrick Memeh
Political Analyst and Social Commentator aka big English and grammar speaker /do nothinger
Twitter: @buwamemeh
http://leadership.ng/editor-pi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect by GodMode: 5:47pm On Aug 10, 2015
Creamz:
Our leaders always want to keep the masses poor so that during electioneering period, 200 Naira or 1 tin tomatoes can easy buy them 3 votes lol....the sad thing about it is that those who takes these monies or tin tomatoes feel that's their own national cake.

Some people don't think they can be richer than their leaders...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

if These 3 Monikers Leave Romance Section Today Thousands Will Follow Them!!!! / Who Is Sholaye Jeremi? | Biography| Profile|history Of Linda Ikeji's Baby Father / How To Get Mtn Customer Care Direct With This Short Code

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.