Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,984 members, 7,828,485 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Still On Intercontinental Bank - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Still On Intercontinental Bank (726 Views)

Access Bank To Pay N53.47 Billion For 75% Of Intercontinental Bank / Intercontinental Bank And Access Bank Merge? / Extortion By Intercontinental Bank PLC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Still On Intercontinental Bank by maxxy: 1:12pm On Mar 22, 2009
First, let me say that I am proudly INTERCONTINENTAL. That rare breed of professionals committed to making our customers happy.
I think that those that are peddling rumours about Banks (Intercontinental) especially, don't really know the gravity of what they are doing. They think that killing one bank will mean more business for the others. This is never so, as the crash of a Bank such as Intercontinental will cause a panic that will have adverse effects on the industry and the economy as a whole. Therefore, people should make constructive statements based on available facts, and not declarations like everybody should go and withdraw their money from the Bank.

Firstly, I must say that these rumours began due to the bad belle of competitors who are unable to match the strength of Intercontinental Bank. They have resorted to the Nigerian practice of PHD (Pull Him Down). This is otherwise called demarketing. However, the facts are there for everyone to see and appreciate.

Intercontinental Bank was established in 1989 as a Merchant Bank. It became a commercial bank in 1999, unarguably making it the youngest commercial bank in the country. It is therefore surprising to many that the Bank has risen up to be one of the leading banks in the country today by any standard. In 2007, according to Financial Times London, it was the 355th Bank in the world, and the only Nigerian Bank in the first 500. In 2008, It became the second most rated Bank in Nigeria, after First Bank, with Zenith, UBA, Oceanic trailing far behind. It also won the Bank of the Year award for 2008 (award by Financial Times, London), African Bank of the Year 2008 (awarded by the World Bank and IMF). These are facts that are incontestable and the awards are the most treasured in the banking industry.

Again, Standard & Poor, and Fitch International are the two foremost rating companies in the world. They rate countries and companies, and based on these ratings, international investors know where to channel their money. The rating of Intercontinental Bank by these two rating companies are the highest in the Nigerian Banking industry, rating the bank as a low risk financial institution. Little wonder therefore that foreign investors are continually queuing to grant the bank confirming lines.

The success of the Bank is attributable to its core values: Trust in God, Integrity, Excellence, Helpfulness, Resilience. It is only God that has lifted up the Bank, and no man can pull it down.

Intercontinental Bank has consistently increased its market share in both the retail and corporate sector. The aggressiveness of the bank has surely not won it many friends as it has taken over grounds hitherto covered by other banks.

You will agree with me that our use of savings account in Nigeria has gone beyond that of a means of saving money. Somebody deposits money in an account in Lagos and withdraws it in Benin the same day, or money is paid into an account in Kano and account holder is in Lagos to withdraw it immediately. The Bank charges nothing for this service and gains nothing from the transaction, whereas no one ever went into business with charity on his mind. Recently, the Bank decided to increase its minimum deposits on savings account to N10,000. Though the move has been suspended, it was contemplated to streamline the customer base of the Bank for better effectiveness. It was in my opinion, a well-thought out strategy, but executed at the wrong time. Knowing this, the Bank has reversed itself.

Therefore, to all those that are happy customers of the bank, continue in your choice of banking with one of the most focused banks in world. To all those that wish the bank ill, you will not achieve your designs. The God of Intercontinental Bank will continue to uphold it.[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Still On Intercontinental Bank by OVIABOY: 5:52pm On Mar 22, 2009
hi maxxy,

I actually agree with you 100%!!

It is always better for poeple to speak from an informed position.
Re: Still On Intercontinental Bank by MAITEMA(m): 8:07am On Mar 23, 2009
Very well articulated by a staff of Intercontinental bank I presume.

However the aim and purpose of your article has been defeated by your statement "with Zenith, UBA, Oceanic trailing far behind" In order words you insinuate your bank is stronger than those banks. Isn’t this De-Marketing? You are simply hypocritical; it is just unfortunate for you that it is your bank that is in the line of fire right now. That said, I wish your bank well and do not hope for any bank in Nigeria to fail.

Meanwhile, I gather your bank officially sent a threatening message to a blogger for airing his view. If true, why employ such Gestapo tactics to such a sensitive matter?
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-250760.0.html
Re: Still On Intercontinental Bank by deb(m): 5:20pm On Mar 24, 2009
INTERCONTINENTAL IS IN SERIOUS TROUBLE NOW. TRUST ME NAIRALANDERS ARE MORE INFLUENTIAL THAN YOU THINK
AND THEY SO HAPPENED TO HAVE ENTERED THE MEMBER'S BAD BOOK

(1) (Reply)

The Book I Read On Stocks That Improve My Skills / Is There Any Fashion Designing School In Ondo State / Ppl Ask 4 Biz Ideas &wen U Mail Dem, Dey Dnt Reply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.