Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,328 members, 7,836,394 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

Being A Celebrity Has Made Me More Cautious - Aramide - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Being A Celebrity Has Made Me More Cautious - Aramide (743 Views)

Ebiye Blasts Aramide: You Probably Had Sex For The Headies Award / Aramide: "I Lost My Respect For Onyeka Onwenu After She Shunned Me At An Event" / Which Naija Celebrity Has The Biggest Ass (curves) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Being A Celebrity Has Made Me More Cautious - Aramide by busyflexz(m): 7:00pm On Aug 09, 2015
Aramide Sarumoh-Alli, a Nigerian Afro-Soul/Jazz artiste signed to Baseline Music, discovered her love for singing and writing as a teenager. After secondary school, she learnt to play the saxophone and guitar, two instruments she is quite passionate about.
During her days as a student of Political Science at the University of Jos, Aramide participated in the Star Quest talent hunt show, making her part of a band that finished Third Runners-up. Her solo career which took off shortly after graduation has been growing since then. The themes of her songs range from love, betrayal, friendship and trust. In a chat with Daily Trust on Sunday, she spoke about her passion for music, her musical influences including India Arie, Miriam Makeba, Asa and her nomination in the Nigerian Entertainment Awards (NEA)2015  as Female Artiste 2015 alongside other great female acts.  Some of her songs which have topped charts include: ‘Iwo Nikan’, ‘It’s Over’, ‘Feeling this feeling’ and ‘Odun tuntun’. Recently, she released another single titled, ‘I don’t care’ which has been well received by her fans.
What inspired you to start singing?
Singing has always been something I’ve been very passionate about from a very young age. I started as a song writer and later started playing the guitar. I grew up listening to a lot of soul and jazz music and that has helped me define my sound so far. Also the environment I grew up in had a great impact in my life. For me music on its own has always been a big inspiration in my life.

Your songs are a blend of Afro-pop/Soul/RnB. Why did you choose this genre of music?
Actually, my music is called Afro-soul. It’s a blend of African sound and language with soul music. I grew up listening to soul music so it defined the path I eventually chose.

You got married recently. How have you been able to joggle your career and marriage?
It’s been quite easy and I would say beautiful. The fact that there has always been understanding and love makes it easy to juggle. For me, it’s like having to do my job and getting a lot of support doing it.

What challenges do you face in your career?
Alternative music in Nigeria is still growing unlike the pop music and afrobeat sound. It is quite challenging trying to push and make my kind of music more acceptable, competing for more airplays, but one thing that stands out for me is that, great music sells and is always evergreen. My music will always remain fresh in people’s minds and last forever.

As a graduate of Political science, why did you choose to go into music?
Yes I studied political science and it was an interesting course but like I said, music has always been my passion so I went with what makes me happy.

Who are your role models in the industry?
I have a lot of role models both internationally and around Africa and Nigeria. They are India Arie, Corinne Bailey Rae, Lauryn Hill, Asa, Miriam Makeba, Jill Scott, Ray Charles, and John Legend to mention a few.

The music industry seems to be dominated by men. How do you cope with this?
Well that was before. We have a lot of female artistes that are excellent in their craft and have even paved the way for other female artistes. The female artistes are competition for the male artistes. It’s balanced to a large extent. For me I focus on getting better and consistent in churning out music and building my fan base.

What made you decide to participate in Star Quest?
I wanted to showcase my talent, and see if people were going to value it. I needed an assurance in my talent both as an instrumentalist and vocalist.

What experience stood out for you from your participation in Star Quest?
I went into Star Quest as a saxophonist and I realized I was also as good a singer compared to others that came into the competition. With my group finishing 3rd runners-up, I felt encouraged to pursue my dream.

You have also done some collaboration as well as shared the stage with some big names in the industry. How do you feel about that?
Doing collaborations with an already established artiste is one thing I’m really grateful for. Because I see it as a way the already big artistes supports the upcoming ones and it’s a good thing, especially the fact that collaborations bring artistes together to fuse their different styles of music together into one sound. And as for sharing the stage with great artiste is humbling and challenges me as a person to work harder to become one of the greatest.

Is there an album and what we should be expecting from you?
Yes there is an album I am working on and I am recording a lot and hopefully by next year. There would be lots of surprises and great songs on the album.

You were nominated in the upcoming Nigerian Entertainment Awards (NEA) Female Artiste of the Year 2015 Award alongside Yemi Alade, Seyi Shay, Cynthia Morgan, Di’ja and EVA. How do you feel about it?
Everyone in that category is a great and extremely talented artiste. They are all very hardworking and successful. I feel honoured and grateful to be nominated alongside them. I was shocked, excited and overwhelmed. It made me feel that I was recognized for works considering the other artistes I was nominated along with.

Since becoming a celebrity, what aspect of your former life do you miss most?
I would say I’m pretty much still myself and nothing much has changed. But I miss being able to do a few random things. I’m always watchful and very careful.

What advice do you have for upcoming artistes, especially to the females?
My advice to young female artistes is to pray, be determined and work hard. Nothing good comes easy and there will be challenges. And also be patient. Work on yourself and be humble.
Would you ever give up your career for a white collar job if the opportunity comes?
Never because I love what I do. I chose it and it chose me for a reason.

http://dailytrust.com.ng/sunday/index.php/the-arts/21540-being-a-celebrity-has-made-me-more-cautious-aramide

https://northern9ja./2015/08/09/being-a-celebrity-has-made-me-more-cautious-aramide/

Re: Being A Celebrity Has Made Me More Cautious - Aramide by ladyF(f): 7:01pm On Aug 09, 2015
undecided
Re: Being A Celebrity Has Made Me More Cautious - Aramide by SimpleVili: 12:28am On Aug 10, 2015
Good for you

Place your orders for long-lasting solar power banks. See my signature.

(1) (Reply)

Rukky Sanda Releases Stunning Birthday Pictures / Justin Bieber's New Hair Is The Craziest Ever / 55 Year Old Pastor Rapes 15 Year Old Teenager In Ondo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.