Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:23 AM

My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste (4215 Views)

How To Reprint JAMB Mock Slip 2018 - Step-by-step Guide / How To Register For JAMB 2018 (Step By Step) / Step By Step Guide On How To Reprint Your 2017 JAMB Exam Slip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:25pm On Aug 09, 2015
hat is Biogas...?

For those who are not familiar with the term Biogas :

Microorganisms who thrive in the absence of air digests the organic material and releases a mixture of gases. The gases thus produced contains mostly methane along with other gases like Carbon dioxide, Nitrogen and Hydrogen Sulphide in small quantities. This process is known as anaerobic digestion.

Methane is a colorless and odorless gas and is highly flammable. (It is Hydrogen Sulphide that smells bad) Methane is not poisonous.

Methane along with other gases occurs naturally in swamps, waste dumps and even in home toilets in the septic tank. Due to its highly flammable quality, it can be used as fuel. But capturing the methane from the atmosphere is very difficult as it is lighter than air. The Biogas Digester or Biogas Plant we see here is a device which helps us in collecting this gas and use it as fuel.

Biogas Plant

The Biogas plant consists of a digester tank, where the organic material is stored and the microorganisms work on them and release gas.
The gas thus produced is collected in a tank known as gas collector. In a floating type model, this tank is floating in the slurry and moves up-and-down based on the amount of gas stored in it
A guide pipe helps the gas collector tank to move up-and-down inside the digester tank.
Waste is fed through feed pipe inside the digester tank.
The fully digested slurry drains out through the outlet pipe. This can be collected, diluted and used as fertilizer for plants.
A gas pipe line from the Gas collector tank helps in utilizing the gas for cooking and lighting

Now let's get down to business and construct a medium sized Biogas plant for home use

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:27pm On Aug 09, 2015
for my tank i used a 300litre tank for my gas coolector.
i had it cut from the shop where i bought it

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by Movesz(m): 8:27pm On Aug 09, 2015
Pics;->
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:29pm On Aug 09, 2015
And a 500 liter tank for the digester tank
also had it cut
but the size of the cut must match the size f the 300 litre tank so i can drop the smaller tank into the bigger tank freely

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by madmadu(m): 8:35pm On Aug 09, 2015
following....
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:38pm On Aug 09, 2015
other items needed are:
ball valve for gas outlet
one length of 1 inch pipe for my support
elbow joints to fit on the 1 inch pipe
4 inch pipe for intake of organic waste

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:42pm On Aug 09, 2015
one and half in socket
2 inch pipe and socket
araldite gum
hack saw and access bend

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:51pm On Aug 09, 2015
i start by cutting a 4 inch hole on the 500 litre tank to fit my access bend
attach the access bend and glue the edges with the gum to avoide leakage as shown in the picture

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:53pm On Aug 09, 2015
next i cut a 2 inch hole for the 2 inch pipe and apply the gum as well as shown in the diagram

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 8:59pm On Aug 09, 2015
Then i cut out the side of the drum as shown in the picture and used epoxy resin gum to hold the 1 inch pipe to the body of the drum.
i got disappointed when the pipe kept falling off so i used riveting pins instead

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by nke001: 9:10pm On Aug 09, 2015
Watching...
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by bigtt76(f): 9:26pm On Aug 09, 2015
Waiting ....
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 10:07pm On Aug 09, 2015
I used inflammable PVC gum to burn a hole on the bottom of the 300litre tank.You can use knife or any suitable object to cut the hole but be careful not to make it too big in order to avoid gas leakage
then i sealed it with the epoxy resin to avoid leakage

1 Like

Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by impeccablephili: 10:48pm On Aug 09, 2015
Keep it coming bro
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by prof2015(m): 5:56am On Aug 10, 2015
will post more of the pics and instructions this morning didnt sleep well last night did a lot of reading for post utme things.
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by jaelz(m): 7:29am On Sep 24, 2015
Due to the distance involved and people complaining we have decided to put the whole biogas process into a very comprehensive production package that goes for #6000 naira, it contains step by step well explained guide on how to produce your own biogas plant, how to purify it, generate electricity from it, how to package it and sell and turn in huge amount of profit in no time. If your interested please let know early.
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by ugofwesh: 12:44pm On May 22, 2016
Hello waste to energy engineer, am promise by name and i have a possible contract work to assign to you on this splendid project.
please drop your number as soon as possible.
Re: My Step By Step Guide On How To Build A Biogas plant That uses food waste by dominusgai(m): 11:54pm On Oct 13, 2016
hello, please, how much will building a biogas plant cost?

(1) (Reply)

Facts Science Cannot Explain / Download Jamb Registration Form Template PDF Format And Fill It / Africa's Youngest PhD Holder Is From Ekiti, in Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.