Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,059 members, 7,956,952 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:53 PM

12 Weeks After Wedding Found Out Hubby Was A "Paedo" - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 12 Weeks After Wedding Found Out Hubby Was A "Paedo" (838 Views)

Baby Abandoned In The Bush 2 Weeks After Birth Now Named Oluwapelumi / Real Reasons Women Add Weight After Wedding / Woman Delivers Quadruplets Four Years After Wedding (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

12 Weeks After Wedding Found Out Hubby Was A "Paedo" by Recognise: 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2009
Bride had to turn tech without Sarah's Law
By Jane Atkinson, 22/03/2009

A DEVASTATED bride is calling for a change in the law after discovering her new husband was a CONVICTED PAEDOPHILE a few weeks after they wed.

Mariella Grove only found out about his sick past when she caught him leering at a neighbour’s two young daughters.

She is now calling for Sarah’s Law to be brought in across the whole of Britain—so other women do not have to suffer the anguish she has been through.

Tearful Mariella, who has a 15-month-old grandson, said: “If this had been in place where I live I would have known who I was marrying and who I was allowing to come into contact with the children in my family and in my area.

“Everybody has a right to know if a convicted paedophile is coming into their lives.

“I am not a parent of a young child but I allowed a paedophile into my home, my life and the lives of those around me.”

The News of the World has been campaigning for Sarah’s Law—named after tragic Sarah Payne, who was just eight when she was slaughtered by monster Roy Whiting—since July 2000.

It would mean the public would have controlled access to the sex offenders’ register, and so far we have achieved 14 pieces of new legislation to protect children.

At least ten children have been saved from potential sex attacks, thanks to trial schemes. These are to be extended further across the country, and will be evaluated later this year to see if they should be enforced across Britain.

But any new laws will come too late for Mariella, 52, who approached the News of the World with her story.

We have changed her and her husband’s names for legal reasons.

The mum of two grown-up children married Bruno Grove last summer but had no idea her new love had been convicted of indecent assault on two 12-year-old girls in 1993.

Since then Grove, 43, had changed his name by deed poll—and none of his family or friends had revealed his shocking secret to Mariella during their whirlwind six- month romance.

The couple first met when Mariella was caring for Grove’s mum who lived near her in Milton Keynes, Bucks.

Mariella said her friends adored him—and her grown-up son and daughter, in their 20s, thought he was a caring companion for their mum.

She recalled: “When we met he was loving and attentive. We were like teenagers in love. Bruno wanted us to adopt a baby, and I thought he would make a wonderful father. I feel so stupid about that now.”

But after their wedding last summer, Mariella said Bruno changed. She explained: “He had told me he’d changed his name by deed poll because he’d had financial problems before he met me.

“I accepted that until after we married and he turned into a Jekyll and Hyde character. A nasty streak came out and he was very possessive.

"He wouldn’t let me speak to his family on my own, which now I realise was for fear I’d find out something.

“In the back of my mind I knew something was wrong.”

But it was only when Grove refused to stop peering into Mariella’s neighbours’ garden, where two young girls were playing, that she decided to turn detective.

She said: “I would regularly catch him looking out our bedroom window. He was leering at the girls as they bounced up and down on their trampoline. They were nine and 14. He became obsessed with watching them.

“He said he was just looking at the flowers in the garden so I told him to go downstairs to do that but he wouldn’t.

“I became really concerned and thought I would check him out—find out if there was anything in his past that he was hiding.”

She went to a library and searched through local newspaper archives for Bruno’s previous name. When she could not find anything she contacted the local crown court and asked for help.

Then, 12 weeks after her wedding day, she was shown files that revealed Grove’s previous conviction.

He had been sentenced to a community service for 100 hours and was under a probation order for 18 months, with a condition to attend a sex offenders group. He also had to pay £100 costs.

[center]Sick [/center]
Mariella recalled: “I was physically sick— I’d married a monster. I confronted him and said I knew the truth, he was a paedophile.

“He tried to deny it and claimed it was all lies but I had the documentation. I immediately asked him to leave. I’m pushing through the divorce as fast as I can.”

Bruno has moved in with his mother and Mariella is pushing for Sarah’s Law to be enforced throughout Britain.

She said: “Our laws don’t do enough. People can change their name by deed poll and hide from things like this.

“Changing your name and hiding the fact you were a sex offender is terrifying.

“I’m just glad that I found out what I did. Others might not be so lucky.”

SOURCE: Click here
Re: 12 Weeks After Wedding Found Out Hubby Was A "Paedo" by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 22, 2009
So far, the law does more to protect sex beast's, rather than the general public.

I support the call for the law to be changed - you should know who your neighbour's are.

(1) (Reply)

Infidelity Recovery: What Is It With Men? / Nairalanders What Keeps You Motivated? / An Advice For A Sucidal Person

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.