Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,853 members, 7,866,299 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 02:39 PM

My Faith In Nigeria Unshaken, Says Iwu - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Faith In Nigeria Unshaken, Says Iwu (668 Views)

My Take On Dasukigate And Pmb's Unshaken Determination. / 2011 Polls: Result’ll Be Released Electronically, Says Iwu / Nan Says Iwu Is Man-of-the-year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Faith In Nigeria Unshaken, Says Iwu by nwosas(m): 5:46pm On Mar 22, 2009
Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Maurice Iwu yesterday said he has strong faith in Nigeria's democratic process, stressing that he will not be distracted by campaign of calumny from those who do not want the progress of the nation.
He also called on Nigerians to come up with constructive criticisms and suggestion on how to improve the electoral system in the country as a means towards entrenching democratic values in the polity.
Speaking to newsmen during an interview in Sokoto yesterday, Iwu said the nation is on course on its pilgrimage to democracy, adding that he will not be deterred by smear campaigns from certain individuals who are bent on undermining the democratic process for selfish purposes.
"As far as I am concerned, Nigeria has a very serious national programme on democratisation and I don't want to trivialise issues. The recent smear campaigns are just mere distractions and we are not perturbed by such acts. So, if somebody wants to run his personal vendetta, it is up to him, it does not add anything to the nation's democratic process.
"In fact, it is very tempting for some people to undermine the system because of parochial interests but collectively it behoves on us to work collectively for the progress of the country by living it better that what we met on ground," he said. According to him, Nigeria's electoral system has been adjudged one of the best in the world by observers and independent assessors, lamenting that poor mindset has been the bane of elections in the country.
Iwu noted that the issues of gender equality, disproportionate use of money in politics and fear of violence are some of the problems the nation is grappling with and stressed the need for Nigerians to have a change of mindset towards election for the benefit of all.
The INEC chairman expressed confidence in the ability of the country to weather the storm despite myriads of problems bedeviling it in the last ten years of continous democratic process, saying that the dream of the nation's founding fathers for an egalitarian society should not be allowed to waste because of personal interest.
"I have absolute faith in Nigeria and I believe we will triumph in the end.We have a situation whereby our founding fathers dreamt of an egalitarian society where justice prevails and it behoves on us to fulfill that dream. It will indeed be a shame, if we abandon that dream because of personal pursuit", Iwu averred.

(1) (Reply)

A New Africa - Ngozi Okonjo-iweala / Re: Chime Spends N2b On Cars For Monarchs / Allegation Of Corruption Against Banks.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.