Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,720 members, 7,813,371 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:26 AM

Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria (4593 Views)

South East Are The Ones Who really Contribute More to The FG Purse / If Nairaland Was Nigeria,which Regions Contribute More? / I Won’t Contribute To School Feeding Programme, Fayose Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by sweetgala(m): 1:56pm On Aug 10, 2015
ak47mann:
[b]human and mineral resources igbos are the highest contribution till date.In 1964 the World Bank named Eastern Nigeria the fastest growing regional econ­omy on earth. At the time of this assessment, Eastern Nigeria was made up of the present five states of the South East, plus four out of the present six states of the South South. Reason for the assessment was that in 1964, Nigeria was the world’s largest producer and exporter of palm oil and palm kernel. Above 90 per cent of the palm oil and palm kernel came from Eastern Nigeria. Nigeria was the world’s largest producer of cassava. Above 60 per cent of Nigeria’s cassava was produced in Eastern Nigeria. By 1964, garri, yam and palm oil from Eastern Nigeria were sold in South Africa, Great Britain and the United States. Coal mining had reached commercial production and Eastern Nige­ria had started making money from Nige­ria’s coal export. By 1964 the Eastern Ni­geria Development Corporation (ENDC) was Eastern Nigeria’s next highest employer of labor after the regional govern­ment itself; producing high quality garri, rice, vegetable oil, fresh eggs, frozen fish, frozen chicken, frozen beef, frozen pork and pork sausages, for domestic distribution and export. [/b]cool

What happens next ?

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 10, 2015
Ok
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by sweetgala(m): 2:06pm On Aug 10, 2015
The OP must have been hearing too much tales by moonlight. The Igbo like any Nigerian are an intricate part of Nigerian economy, a relevant portion of SME are operated by Igbo, However what of the industrious members of the Nigerian being. Any assertion that the Igbo a singularly responsible for the Nigerian economy is stupid and false. If the Igbo leave Nigeria en mass they'll lose a great deal in their interactions with other tribes

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by ezeagu(m): 2:07pm On Aug 10, 2015
Nigeria is a fucking disaster, it's not an accomplishment being a little bit less of a disaster. You guys need to stop.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by FKO81(m): 2:47pm On Aug 10, 2015
Igbo businesses
Oil sector
Seplat
Chrome energy
Nestoil
Althlas oronto
NIPCO oil
TECNO Oil
Oil serve
AZ oil
CAPITAL Oil
SPG
Armak group
Britannia
Tonimax
Dizzy oil
Master energy etc
Intergrated energy
Banking sector
Zineth bank
Diamond bank
UBA
FIDELITY bank

Health sector
Neimith
Emzor
May & baker
Orange drugs
Nero pharmaceutical
Juhel pharmaceutical etc

FOOD and beverages
Tummy tummy noodle
Chi vita
Fan
Unilever Nigeria
may & baker
Genesis group
Tetrazine
Crunches

Motor business
Cosharies
GLOBAL motors etc.

Telecommunications
MTN Nigeria
Zinox
Anabel
Smile network
Visa phone etc

Air transportation
Air peace
Slok air

Road transportation
Chisco
ABC
God is good
Young shall grow
Ekene dili Chukwu
Ifex
GUO
PEACE
CN Okoli
Ifeanyichukwu trans

Shopping malls
Ebeano Shopping mall lakki and chevron drive
Next mall Abj
Media
Sun newspaper
Union newspaper
Thisday newspaper
MBI
Daily champion etc.
Iroko TV
Linda Ikeji
Bella Niaja etc

Building materials
Ibeto cement
Cutix cable etc.

Entertainment
Igbos control nollywood
*Real estate Igbo control great percentage of real estate in major cities in Nigeria and beyond.

trade, trade igbo control 90% trade in Nigeria same with haulage business, their market power are force not to be rackoned with, Nigeria dosn't start in Lagos and end in Ogun,

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by JingoOAU(m): 3:22pm On Aug 10, 2015
Pls we should all agree once and for all that the Igbos own everything in this country....let just give it to them...they own everything, including the fresh air we breathe in.....at least with this, let stop this I pass you mentality

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by bokohalal(m): 3:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
FKO81:
Igbo businesses
Oil sector
Seplat
Chrome energy
Nestoil
Althlas oronto
NIPCO oil
TECNO Oil
Oil serve
AZ oil
CAPITAL Oil
SPG
Armak group
Britannia
Tonimax
Dizzy oil
Master energy etc
Intergrated energy
Banking sector
Zineth bank
Diamond bank
UBA
FIDELITY bank

Health sector
Neimith
Emzor
May & baker
Orange drugs
Nero pharmaceutical
Juhel pharmaceutical etc

FOOD and beverages
Tummy tummy noodle
Chi vita
Fan
Unilever Nigeria
may & baker
Genesis group
Tetrazine
Crunches

Motor business
Cosharies
GLOBAL motors etc.

Telecommunications
MTN Nigeria
Zinox
Anabel
Smile network
Visa phone etc

Air transportation
Air peace
Slok air

Road transportation
Chisco
ABC
God is good
Young shall grow
Ekene dili Chukwu
Ifex
GUO
PEACE
CN Okoli
Ifeanyichukwu trans

Shopping malls
Next mall Abj
Media
Sun newspaper
Union newspaper
Thisday newspaper
MBI
Daily champion etc.
Iroko TV
Linda Ikeji
Bella Niaja etc

Building materials
Ibeto cement
Cutix cable etc.

Entertainment
Igbos control nollywood
*Real estate Igbo control great percentage of real estate in major cities in Nigeria and beyond.

trade, trade igbo control 90% trade in Nigeria same with haulage business, their market power are force not to be rackoned with, Nigeria dosn't start in Lagos and end in Ogun,
From the above, it is true what somebody said earlier that Igbos need Nigeria more than Nigeria need Igbos.
Only one or two businesses up there will thrive in a Biafra only environment.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Mckennedy: 4:19pm On Aug 10, 2015
azzima:
Here we go!!

Lol,,,Truly this pix reminds me of our past presido face ...

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by omoelesa(m): 5:09pm On Aug 10, 2015
Op, u dont need insultation u dont victimasation,what u need is education and prayer to your to problems. May u op receive sense in Jesus,may u op be delivered from spirit of mumuism and imbesility in jesus name.Thank u jesus for your anticipated answers to our prayer.Amen
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:17pm On Aug 10, 2015
tartar9:
since when did owning a 4*4 foot retailer shop(that even sells fake products) equates owning the economy.
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:30pm On Aug 10, 2015
To me I think some Nigerian tribes are intimidated by d presence of d igbo's.
My 2cents.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 10, 2015
superstar1:
Another lie.

Our biggest human capacity export is the Nigerian music. 90% of all the songs have yoruba lines. Systematically popularising our language all over the world, after entrenching same in West Indies and Latin America.

Nollywood comprises all films being produced in Nigeria whether English Ibibio Igbo Hassan and Yoruba. English is our lingua franca without anyone having a monopoly of it. You can only claim the films solely produced in your language. How come Igbo films were the last to have a station on DSTV, after dancing your public shameful cry of marginalisation as usual?

Majority of whose shoes and clothes? What are the Chinese Vietnamese Cambodians and Myanmars doing? Majority of clothes are from Dubai and those are the countries that produce them.

everybody contributed to sports in Nigeria, it is not an exclusive filed of anybody. The fact actually shows that Igbos have brought more disgrace to Nigeria in the sport arena than any other group, by cheating through drug abuse. Classical example is the disgraced Chioma Ajunwa.

You have not been able to achieve your Biafra despite all your noise making. Why can't you start from developing your region and let us see a glimpse of the Biafra in it.

Bunch of jokers

[b]Baba i tire ooo .Its important for us to know that there are two versions of Nollywood. the Kunle Afolayan type and the aki and paw-paw type. the aki and paw-paw type is the one they dominate Even the best producers in the so-called Nollywood are yorubas. tade ogidan,tunde kelani,kunle afolayan,biyi bandele and femi odugbemi .They make the best movies and they are the most decorated film producers as they keep winning all the awards. prior to kunle afolayan's figurine. maaahn these mo-fos were just making all kinds of junk. it was so messed up it seemed like a junk competition. Its even safe to say that we helped rebrand it, taught them how to do it properly and made it what it is. Those aki na ukwa movies would never have given nollywood any recognition

30 Days in Atlanta by AY is the highest grossing movie in Nigeria’s history and no Igbo in the cast

October 1 by kunle afolayan is the second highest grossing movie in Nigeria's history

I tell them there's difference between this two [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by seunny4lif(m): 5:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
U wicked grin grin Na dem develop Germany too and Senegal.....
Aareonakakanfo:

[b]Baba i tire ooo .Its important for us to know that there are two versions of Nollywood. the Kunle Afolayan type and the aki and paw-paw type. the aki and paw-paw type is the one they dominate Even the best producers in the so-called Nollywood are yorubas ,tade ogidan,tunde kelani,kunle afolayan,biyi bandele femi odugbemi .They make the best movies and they are the most decorated film producers as they keep winning all the awards. prior to kunle afolayan's figurine. maaahn these mo-fos were just making all kinds of junk. it was so messed up it seemed like a junk competition. Its even safe to say that we helped rebrand it, taught them how to do it properly and made it what it is. Those aki na ukwa movies would never have given nollywood any recognition

30 Days in Atlanta by AY is the highest grossing movie in Nigeria’s history and no Igbo in the cast

October 1 by kunle afolayan is the second highest grossing movie in Nigeria's history

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 5:51pm On Aug 10, 2015
chuna1985:

ur filled with jealousy n hatred

Oooooh sssharap jealous of people beneath us. stop trying to boost your low self esteem. whenever we put you on check with your Made in Alaigbo lies. you start talking about jealousy. how can one be jealous of spear parts sellers/ petty traders aaaaargh. How can one be jealous of this?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by tuffgongjo(m): 5:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
Facts or Rants,I can't decipher which is which.
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by FKO81(m): 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

[b]Baba i tire ooo .Its important for us to know that there are two versions of Nollywood. the Kunle Afolayan type and the aki and paw-paw type. the aki and paw-paw type is the one they dominate Even the best producers in the so-called Nollywood are yorubas ,tade ogidan,tunde kelani,kunle afolayan,biyi bandele femi odugbemi .They make the best movies and they are the most decorated film producers as they keep winning all the awards. prior to kunle afolayan's figurine. maaahn these mo-fos were just making all kinds of junk. it was so messed up it seemed like a junk competition. Its even safe to say that we helped rebrand it, taught them how to do it properly and made it what it is. Those aki na ukwa movies would never have given nollywood any recognition

Go and solve the poverty ravaging your region, Igbos control nollywood both production and marketing stop your propaganda
South wast states are sinking you are here chasing shadow
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

[b]There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.[/b]

Progressive and sophisticated governors from southwest really need to think progressive not retrogressive,that's my own you can report me to mod, I have said my own, the first step is to identify problem and second best way to solve it, not hiding my post or illegally prohibit me

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by coolitempa(f): 5:59pm On Aug 10, 2015
FKO81:
Igbo businesses
Oil sector
Seplat
Chrome energy
Nestoil
Althlas oronto
NIPCO oil
TECNO Oil
Oil serve
AZ oil
CAPITAL Oil
SPG
Armak group
Britannia
Tonimax
Dizzy oil
Master energy etc
Intergrated energy
Banking sector
Zineth bank
Diamond bank
UBA
FIDELITY bank

Health sector
Neimith
Emzor
May & baker
Orange drugs
Nero pharmaceutical
Juhel pharmaceutical etc

FOOD and beverages
Tummy tummy noodle
Chi vita
Fan
Unilever Nigeria
may & baker
Genesis group
Tetrazine
Crunches

Motor business
Cosharies
GLOBAL motors etc.

Telecommunications
MTN Nigeria
Zinox
Anabel
Smile network
Visa phone etc

Air transportation
Air peace
Slok air

Road transportation
Chisco
ABC
God is good
Young shall grow
Ekene dili Chukwu
Ifex
GUO
PEACE
CN Okoli
Ifeanyichukwu trans

Shopping malls
Next mall Abj
Media
Sun newspaper
Union newspaper
Thisday newspaper
MBI
Daily champion etc.
Iroko TV
Linda Ikeji
Bella Niaja etc

Building materials
Ibeto cement
Cutix cable etc.

Entertainment
Igbos control nollywood

Can you just stop posting lies as facts All these Abakaliki manufactured stories will not change the facts.... cheesy.....to achieve change... u need to stop criminality....eg...fake spare parts...drug peddling...armed robbery...excetera... angry

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by tuffgongjo(m): 6:01pm On Aug 10, 2015
chuna1985:

ur filled with jealousy n hatred
I dis-concur because like the OP he is entitled to his own Opinions also.
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by FKO81(m): 6:04pm On Aug 10, 2015
crises in Yoruba land
[b]Ulli Beier: There was a short time in Nigerian history — between Independence and the first military coup — in which we lived through a period of great optimism. Financially the people of Nigeria were relatively well off, and they assumed that with independence, things were going to improve steadily. In the West, people believed in the benefits of universal free primary education. They were proud of being the “First in Africa” to have set up a television station. The University of Ibadan was functioning and had a good reputation. Night life was boisterous; people could afford to go out, drink beer and listen to really good bands. Even in Osogbo, which then had 120,000 inhabitants, one could hear three or four bands at weekends. The Yoruba Travelling Theatre was booming. A decade after independence, Biodun Jeyifo counted about a hundred Yoruba theatre companies —all managing to survive somehow off their performances. People actually preferred the theatre to the movies. But then, those were the days of Ogunde, Ogunmola, Duro Ladipo and the Orisun players. Where in the world could you find a comparable constellation?
Wole Soyinka: There was ferment!

Ulli Beier: There was no official planning; little government interference. It was a natural growth. If you now think back to this period, how do you view it with hindsight? Why does it appear to us now as a “golden age” rather than a mere beginning? (From Ulli Beier in conversation.)
Hmmm. Really. Why would a period that was supposed to be our beginning appear to us as actually the golden age? If the take-off of an aeroplane is the only memorable moment of the flight, then that journey is not just a farce, it is a tragedy. When a people have nowhere else to turn to with pride but the past, then they do not need to be reminded that generations after that “golden era” have all failed. And I am not talking about Nigeria now. I am talking about the old Western Nigeria from Ikeja through Benin to Sapele. Nothing can be more devastating for a pupil whose reputation of being the constant first in class is shredded by a distant competitor.

Ex-governor Peter Obi of Anambra State got me thinking. Two weeks ago, he was giving an account of his eight years stewardship and he announced some figures: N75 billion as credit balance in the state’s accounts and no debt over-hang. That figure, he said, included balance in savings and in investment. Then the big one: Anambra State under him invested in bonds issued by other state governments. Since he made that statement, I have not heard anyone say he lied. It was a combination of these that actually got me thinking —Anambra State that was not paying salaries post 1999, pre-2003; Anambra State of war and lawlessness in Chris Ngige era; the same Anambra that was home of violence and inexplicable crimes. Obi said the state he was leaving behind was not owing anybody a dime; rather, the state invested in bonds issued by other states! Then, I remembered that out of the six states in the South-West, only one has not gone to the Capital Market to take money through bond issuance. What has that told me? It means that my South-West is indebted to South East’s Anambra State — and that is serious. I know some partisan fellows will say ‘and so what?’ They can say so because for such fellows, the only reference they make to the past is using it to cover up the eczema of today. None of the founding fathers of Western Nigeria would ever imagine that a day would come when Yorubaland would owe Iboland.

Some international financial experts have warned that the current craze for bonds by African countries, including PDP’s Nigeria, will soon lead to what they call “Eurobond curse” just as the continent is wracked by “resource curse.” Some queer commentators would say the warning was directed at national governments. At the state level, the alarm bell should really sound louder. A recent report quoted Joseph Stightz, a Nobel prize-winning economist, as warning that “the financial sector loves to find people to prey on and their most recent prey are governments in developing countries.” The same is happening at the domestic level. Cash-strapped state governments should know that there are no friendly financial institutions. They are in business to make money and it does not matter how.

I do not know what economics is behind the current craze for bonds. Some are even saying bonds are no loans. What are they? Gifts? Won’t they pay back? And at what interest rate? They would even pay costs of the transaction — they call it ‘issue costs?’ Are there consultants packaging these bonds? If there are, who are they? What are their fees?

Yorubaland currently suffers unprecedented, unfortunate and insulting, venal shut-out in the affairs of the PDP Federal Government. The alternative regimes in the states ought to give reasons for hope, not debt over-hang. Nothing should be done by anyone to bond the race to a future of criminal servitude. Governments have to provide amenities, yes. But have we forgotten what our ancestors said about he that eats benefits derivable from a child even before that child is born? Exactly what Niyi Osundare described as “eating tomorrow’s yam today ”! [/b]
http://www.tribune.com.ng/columns/inside/monday-lines/item/1849-the-crisis-of-yoruba-s-future/1849-the-crisis-of-yoruba-s-future

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by totit: 6:06pm On Aug 10, 2015
cry cry cry cry Spamming= crying

Eyah undecided

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by zuchyblink(m): 6:09pm On Aug 10, 2015
only Aba shoe industry defeats most of the shit they do in the waste.igbos are the biggest exporter of footwear in Africa.the 5 biggest int'l markets in Nigeria are owned by the Igbos.we control markets in china,hong kong,south africa,gabon,cameroon,civ,the gambia,benin,ghana and togo.
We are found in every nook and cranny of the world and contribute up to 80 percent of abroad remitances to Nigeria.no body is talking about innoson car/motorcycle manufacturing company and car and motor spare parts manufacturing in Nnewi
which place is known as ''the japan of africa''?

*beating my chest*
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2015
FKO81:

Go and solve the poverty ravaging your region, Igbos control nollywood both production and marketing stop your propaganda
South wast states are sinking you are here chasing shadow
Emerging trend of social almajiri in Yorubaland
By Hakeem Jamiu

[b]There is a social malaise which is gradually creeping into the lexicon of Yorubaland and this is the ugly spectre of hungry children begging for food and alms at social events. Older women are equally not left out in this ugly but strange practice in Yorubaland. It is strange in Yorubaland because the concept of almajiri which simply means street urchin is common in the Northern part of the country. Yorubas use to refer derisively to anybody soliciting for arms in Yorubaland in the olden days as almajiri. The almajiri of the North are usually children between the age bracket of 7 and 20 in most cases. Almajiris are so desperate for food that any unsuspecting visitor to the Northern part of the country who goes to a restaurant to eat but mistakenly left his food to wash his hands is likely to lose such to waiting almajiris before he comes back for the food.

I first noticed this ugly trend at a ceremony I attended a few months ago at Ayetoro Ekiti. Elderly and middle aged able bodied women from Kwara, Osun and Oyo states invaded the burial ceremony uninvited and were embarrassing guests who refused to give them money. Also noticeable were children with their begging bowls who thronged the venue of the ceremony soliciting for left over food and alms. The children were a pitiable sight. Poverty was clearly written on their faces. I have attended many social functions after that and the same trend was noticeable. But I became worried a few days ago, when I attended the burial ceremony of a friend's father in Ilesha , Osun State . They came in various groups and employ different methods in soliciting for alms. There were the elderly women who were busy harassing guests in the name of praise singing and would not leave until you part with money, there were the men with their public address system which they use in praise singing but which is disturbance and yet, there were Yoruba children in the mould of almajiris with their begging bowls scrambling for left-over and at the same time soliciting for alms.

Fellow guests on my table at the event who were also journalists expressed their concern in unison about the growing trend of almajiri of various categories in Yorubaland. They all agreed that it has become a social problem. We started discussing and realised that the culture of begging in the mould of almajiris is alien to Yoruba culture. In those days before the advent of the British, the Yorubas are a proud people known for their hard work and industry. They practiced hoe agriculture and were well known as traders and for their crafts. Yoruba artists have produced masterpieces of woodcarving and bronze casting, some of which date from as early as the 13th century. Many of Nigeria 's best-known artists and writers are Yoruba. Other occupation of the Yorubas at that time were drumming and masquerading which would now be called showbiz. They engage in all the foregoing occupation but a Yoruba man or woman (able bodied) would not beg for alms as it is considered shameful and something akin to a curse. The Yorubas cherish their oriki (folklore) which is a poetic version of eulogizing the exploits of their progenitors which is an incentive for them to excel and even surpass their progenitors. The Yorubas have harsh words for lazy people. Such people are objects of ridicule and butt of jokes in the society. With this background, it is understandable why we became worried with the array of beggars at the Ilesha ceremony.

After leaving the party, I reflected on the scenario of the almajiris in Ilesha and I was able to draw a relationship between Political almajiris and social almajiris. I discovered that social almajiri had its root in the advent of the politics of do -or-die introduced into the political lexicon of Yorubaland by apostles of mainstream politics especially ex-President Obasanjo. The grand Patron of political almajiris who recently passed away was Chief Lamidi Adedibu. Many have argued that his death has led to the proliferation of almajiris in Yorubaland. This is because those he hitherto dole handouts to must look for other means of survival since he is no more. These political almajiris are ready to exchange their mothers for few coins. A new political class of men without integrity and anything goes was created and they became political almajiris who survive on crumbs from their masters. They would rig, kill, maim and do all sort of things to acquire political power. With the ascension of these men in power, good governance became a thing of the past. Our collective patrimony was squandered by these political almajiris. Nigeria has never been so blessed with petro dollar with oil selling for $156 dollars per barrel but Nigeria has never been so poor with a chunk of the population living below poverty line. So versions of the political almajiris are the social almajiris that now invade ceremonies in Yorubaland. With these children begging for alms, a ready made market for thuggery and other social vices is assured. The activities of the beggars are not limited to parties. At bus stops in our cities, it is a common sight to see women most of who are still in their mid thirties, who would strap a baby at their backs and approach men with stories of despair to solicit for alms. Many of them would end up in bed with such men. This is another brand of alamajiri and these are Yoruba women. A violent version of almajiri but which is gradually being tackled in Lagos is the 'Area Boys' syndrome. These are Yoruba street urchins who are semi- armed robbers.

The underlying factor in this new trend is failure of the Nigerian State on one part and the laziness on the part of these women. Most of them don't want to work, In those days, when everybody's occupation was farming you dare not beg. You must find something to do. But these days, our women and children are too lazy. It is either they steal or beg. In most cases a mother and child become almajiris at social events. So the question now is can a Yoruba man now refer derisively to a Hausa beggar as almajiri when we have many of them now in Yorubaland? The answer is no! This trend must be arrested before it goes out of hand. The almajiris in the North these days engage in novel forms of drug abuse like sniffing of gutter water to get intoxicated, sniffing of adhesives and other drugs so that they are ever ready to unleash terror on the rest of the society whenever they are called upon to do so by the political wing of almajiris. I strongly recommend that guests at public functions must stop encouraging almajiris by giving them money.

But can government which itself owns the political wing of almajiris arrest this trend? Time will tell.[/b]

Progressive and sophisticated governors from southwest really need to think progressive not retrogressive,that's my own you can report me to mod, I have said my own, the first step is to identify problem and second best way to solve it, not hiding my post or illegally prohibit me

Lmaooo A red mud biafrog is talking about poverty? really? grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin That has to be the joke of the year

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by coolzeal(m): 6:45pm On Aug 10, 2015
FKO81:
crises in Yoruba land
[b]Ulli Beier: There was a short time in Nigerian history — between Independence and the first military coup — in which we lived through a period of great optimism. Financially the people of Nigeria were relatively well off, and they assumed that with independence, things were going to improve steadily. In the West, people believed in the benefits of universal free primary education. They were proud of being the “First in Africa” to have set up a television station. The University of Ibadan was functioning and had a good reputation. Night life was boisterous; people could afford to go out, drink beer and listen to really good bands. Even in Osogbo, which then had 120,000 inhabitants, one could hear three or four bands at weekends. The Yoruba Travelling Theatre was booming. A decade after independence, Biodun Jeyifo counted about a hundred Yoruba theatre companies —all managing to survive somehow off their performances. People actually preferred the theatre to the movies. But then, those were the days of Ogunde, Ogunmola, Duro Ladipo and the Orisun players. Where in the world could you find a comparable constellation?
Wole Soyinka: There was ferment!

Ulli Beier: There was no official planning; little government interference. It was a natural growth. If you now think back to this period, how do you view it with hindsight? Why does it appear to us now as a “golden age” rather than a mere beginning? (From Ulli Beier in conversation.)
Hmmm. Really. Why would a period that was supposed to be our beginning appear to us as actually the golden age? If the take-off of an aeroplane is the only memorable moment of the flight, then that journey is not just a farce, it is a tragedy. When a people have nowhere else to turn to with pride but the past, then they do not need to be reminded that generations after that “golden era” have all failed. And I am not talking about Nigeria now. I am talking about the old Western Nigeria from Ikeja through Benin to Sapele. Nothing can be more devastating for a pupil whose reputation of being the constant first in class is shredded by a distant competitor.

Ex-governor Peter Obi of Anambra State got me thinking. Two weeks ago, he was giving an account of his eight years stewardship and he announced some figures: N75 billion as credit balance in the state’s accounts and no debt over-hang. That figure, he said, included balance in savings and in investment. Then the big one: Anambra State under him invested in bonds issued by other state governments. Since he made that statement, I have not heard anyone say he lied. It was a combination of these that actually got me thinking —Anambra State that was not paying salaries post 1999, pre-2003; Anambra State of war and lawlessness in Chris Ngige era; the same Anambra that was home of violence and inexplicable crimes. Obi said the state he was leaving behind was not owing anybody a dime; rather, the state invested in bonds issued by other states! Then, I remembered that out of the six states in the South-West, only one has not gone to the Capital Market to take money through bond issuance. What has that told me? It means that my South-West is indebted to South East’s Anambra State — and that is serious. I know some partisan fellows will say ‘and so what?’ They can say so because for such fellows, the only reference they make to the past is using it to cover up the eczema of today. None of the founding fathers of Western Nigeria would ever imagine that a day would come when Yorubaland would owe Iboland.

Some international financial experts have warned that the current craze for bonds by African countries, including PDP’s Nigeria, will soon lead to what they call “Eurobond curse” just as the continent is wracked by “resource curse.” Some queer commentators would say the warning was directed at national governments. At the state level, the alarm bell should really sound louder. A recent report quoted Joseph Stightz, a Nobel prize-winning economist, as warning that “the financial sector loves to find people to prey on and their most recent prey are governments in developing countries.” The same is happening at the domestic level. Cash-strapped state governments should know that there are no friendly financial institutions. They are in business to make money and it does not matter how.

I do not know what economics is behind the current craze for bonds. Some are even saying bonds are no loans. What are they? Gifts? Won’t they pay back? And at what interest rate? They would even pay costs of the transaction — they call it ‘issue costs?’ Are there consultants packaging these bonds? If there are, who are they? What are their fees?

Yorubaland currently suffers unprecedented, unfortunate and insulting, venal shut-out in the affairs of the PDP Federal Government. The alternative regimes in the states ought to give reasons for hope, not debt over-hang. Nothing should be done by anyone to bond the race to a future of criminal servitude. Governments have to provide amenities, yes. But have we forgotten what our ancestors said about he that eats benefits derivable from a child even before that child is born? Exactly what Niyi Osundare described as “eating tomorrow’s yam today ”! [/b]
http://www.tribune.com.ng/columns/inside/monday-lines/item/1849-the-crisis-of-yoruba-s-future/1849-the-crisis-of-yoruba-s-future
Worth saving....

1 Like

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2015
tuffgongjo:
I dis-concur because like the OP he is entitled to his own Opinions also.

There are several grades of opinions, like stupi.d ones...
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

Oooooh sssharap jealous of people beneath us. stop trying to boost your low self esteem. whenever we put you on check with your Made in Alaigbo lies. you start talking about jealousy. how can one be jealous of spear parts sellers/ petty traders aaaaargh. How can one be jealous of this?

I can only see 2 s waste men selling gala.
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by scholes0(m): 7:12pm On Aug 10, 2015
Fable of the century...
lol I laugh in Idoma
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 10, 2015
chuna1985:

I can only see 2 s waste men selling gala.

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by ArodewilliamsT: 8:08pm On Aug 10, 2015
azzima:
Here we go!!
Femi the cowardly yolloba man that ran away the other day.

Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by tuffgongjo(m): 9:05pm On Aug 10, 2015
chuna1985:

There are several grades of opinions, like stupi.d ones...
And the OP's opinion is?
Re: Igbos Contribute More To The Economy Of Nigeria by hakeem4(m): 9:24pm On Aug 10, 2015
Funke akindele "Jennifer" had more awards grin
Aareonakakanfo:

[b]Baba i tire ooo .Its important for us to know that there are two versions of Nollywood. the Kunle Afolayan type and the aki and paw-paw type. the aki and paw-paw type is the one they dominate Even the best producers in the so-called Nollywood are yorubas ,tade ogidan,tunde kelani,kunle afolayan,biyi bandele and femi odugbemi .They make the best movies and they are the most decorated film producers as they keep winning all the awards. prior to kunle afolayan's figurine. maaahn these mo-fos were just making all kinds of junk. it was so messed up it seemed like a junk competition. Its even safe to say that we helped rebrand it, taught them how to do it properly and made it what it is. Those aki na ukwa movies would never have given nollywood any recognition

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nwafor Orizu Was President Of Nigeria / Real Reason Why The Naira Is Crashing. / Athlete Boos Nigeria To Represent Biafra At Stockholms Marathon In Sweden PHOTO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.