Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,726 members, 7,831,302 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:48 PM

First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating (27930 Views)

Sergeant First Class Ifeanyi Rapu Honored In The US After Completing 3-Year Tour / Help My Boss Is Frustrating Me / Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by kunlenkirol(m): 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2015
I quite understand how u feel esp when d jobs are not coming after u have put in ur best. In my own case, I added another certificate to my degree in Philosophy. Afterwhich I secured a job. I will advice u to work on urself. Because many potential employers will expect more from you. The onus is on u to show case ur gift or should I call it brillance. Finally, kneel down and raise your hand to your God. Best of Luck.

1 Like

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Bollove: 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2015
belzieee:
i no understand you.. what about first class of business studies with major in human resource.. that is b.a business studies.. throw more light
Business studies is management/social science. The course itself will give U relationship prowess but many Nigerian Science students are only capable of relating with themselves , their courses and laboratory thus introvert ....
I have a cousin who has Firstclass in Electrical Engineering but he is only good in calculation aspects anything non-calculation and presentation before audience is a no go !!!

1 Like

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by May5(f): 7:10pm On Aug 11, 2015
Dollyak:
What's the link to first class?
opps why not try lecturing job. With first class u will b able to secure teaching assistance job in the uni
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Cutehector(m): 7:11pm On Aug 11, 2015
funmilade4real:
I graduated in 2014 with a first class degree in business studies. I am 22 and working as a sales assistant in a clothing store. It was meant to be a part-time job for extra income while studying, however, it feels like I am going to be stuck here forever.

I am looking for office roles, in particular admin roles or those to do with HR. I’ve been applying to jobs since I graduated – I either get no response or, once in a blue moon, I get an interview, but it doesn’t end well. Most places I have applied to say I am an introvert and they prefer someone who is more confident in communicating. Or they say I lack work experience.

What I don’t get is how am I able to get work experience when no one gives me a chance? Every job requires some sort of work experience, even internships and entry level jobs. I’ve been to local recruitment agencies, handed them my CV, but it’s been three months and still no reply. I am getting more demotivated and desperate, please can you give me some advice.
dnt be desperate in life..... Or else people will take advantage of ur desperation... Tell urselv u will make it, dat u r good... Work on ur social skills.. Dnt stay at home all day.... Once in a while, take ur cv wit u and submit places... Uncles and anties can introduce u to dr colleagues.... Put ur cv on linkedin for christ sake... I got a call frm a white man offerin me a job cuz he said he liked my cv, buh I ddnt get d job cuz I wasn't in port harcourt cuz dats whr d job is... So I let it go... Opt for masters, apply for scholarships... Not a must u must get a job first.. U can be a lecturer
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by refreshrate: 7:21pm On Aug 11, 2015
tobimillar:
Try get other certificate in line with your chosen career... but come to think if it, with that Brilliant brain of yours try and develop a biz plan or go into farming...with that Brain of yours, you will succeed...

lol
You honestly believe first class in cramming & pouring translates to first class in being able to apply & understand the workings of life?

issokay
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by usmanktg2(m): 7:27pm On Aug 11, 2015
soulhighman:

Yeah you are right. its really pathetic how some nairalnders react to posts on first class not doing better they expect. Anyway, it doesn't freak me. I believe I am VERY EMPLOYABLE. And am used to comments borne out of envy for that class of degree. I don't over react to it.

Very true.
#Team1:1

2 Likes

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Lawsimon(m): 7:31pm On Aug 11, 2015
Lacomus:
OP did they say yu are an introvert ?
abeg refer them to nairaland, there's only one introvert in Nigeria.
lol...bro that one na name o, we are talking about personality o...i don laugh tire for dis ur post.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by mankand(m): 7:31pm On Aug 11, 2015
Shina1987:
scammer

Fool that is how you miss an opportunity of a lifetime. FYI I'm not a scammer and don't need to defend myself on it. I've employed someone in nairaland.com through this medium to my firm and I don't do gnld or any mlm marketing.

E-diot
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
Lawsimon:
lol...bro that one na name o, we are talking about personality o...i don laugh tire for dis ur post.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Franky9584(m): 7:43pm On Aug 11, 2015
mankand:
Are you based in Lagos? send your cv to nigeria@transukrvuz.com
can i send mine too?
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by tintingz(m): 7:57pm On Aug 11, 2015
asumo12:
really?

angry angry angry

sorry how do you generate this gifs(pics). Thanks
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Missmossy(f): 8:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
Awww, it can't always be rosy you know. You could attend seminars that would add more to you in all ramifications. It's indeed true that most firms won't want introverted persons who won't be free nor interact well with others and all.

Above all being optimistic is the key, your self esteem does a lot to your morale. Its all about you, so work on yourself first.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by anumide(f): 8:39pm On Aug 11, 2015
asumo12:
grin grin grin

na him!!!

I like the guy scatter. he is the only reason I watched till season six. abeg another one don comot?
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by geedot: 9:18pm On Aug 11, 2015
[quote author=shizzy7 post=36851263]
The more you search for job,, the more you are far away from FORBES,,,

Fact:: White collar can turn to black collar at any freaking & unexpected point in time.,,,,

Conclusion-- While you're searching for job,, think rigorously of something you can call your own and be proud of and eventually be an employer of Labour... Good point

1 Like

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Gerrard59(m): 9:41pm On Aug 11, 2015
refreshrate:

lol
You honestly believe first class in cramming & pouring translates to first class in being able to apply & understand the workings of life?

issokay

If you think it's easy to cram, why didn't you cram? Did anyone stop you from cramming?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with cramming. If a certain lecturer demands you cram; CRAM.

@OP, You need to work on yourself and your CV. Contact JarusHub for the professional remodeling.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by refreshrate: 9:47pm On Aug 11, 2015
Gerrard59:

If you think it's easy to cram, why didn't you cram? Did anyone stop you from cramming?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with cramming. If a certain lecturer demands you cram; CRAM.

@OP, You need to work on yourself and your CV. Contact JarusHub for the professional remodeling.

Think you should face the OP my good sir, I'm not the one having issues with the job thingy

...and guess what?
I didn't cram to get here.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Jeflox: 10:08pm On Aug 11, 2015
Go to any dunamis church around you tomorrow and grab your testimony chap chap. There is an ongoing programme ending tomorrow. So go by 4:00p.m in evening or by 5:30a.m in the morning. Tanx
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Taiwo20(m): 10:15pm On Aug 11, 2015
funmilade4real:
I graduated in 2014 with a first class degree in business studies. I am 22 and working as a sales assistant in a clothing store. It was meant to be a part-time job for extra income while studying, however, it feels like I am going to be stuck here forever.

I am looking for office roles, in particular admin roles or those to do with HR. I’ve been applying to jobs since I graduated – I either get no response or, once in a blue moon, I get an interview, but it doesn’t end well. Most places I have applied to say I am an introvert and they prefer someone who is more confident in communicating. Or they say I lack work experience.

What I don’t get is how am I able to get work experience when no one gives me a chance? Every job requires some sort of work experience, even internships and entry level jobs. I’ve been to local recruitment agencies, handed them my CV, but it’s been three months and still no reply. I am getting more demotivated and desperate, please can you give me some advice.

You graduated inn 2014 and you are already complaining....smh
Better start appreciating God for your current job while you await something better.

Do you also know you are gaining some experience while at your current job?

Although, I think most First Class grads would do well remaining in the Academic World....

Why don't you enroll for Masters while waiting?

N.B: Its not compulspory you buy into my Advice btw.......but enter Area come see guys wey I meet for street still come even leave them there.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Chidonc(m): 10:37pm On Aug 11, 2015
larisoft:
I smell a rotten fish here. Did you get a first class from all these private universities where firstclass is given to 80 percent of all graduants or did you get it from a renown institution in Nigeria, i.e. UNILAG, UNN, UNIPORT...e.t.c?

Am guessing your answer is no.

You got what was coming to you.

your foolishness is getting to you, u must nt comment on every post and if you should, atleast be sensible, was he the one that made you not to graduate with first class ?

1 Like

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by larisoft: 10:55pm On Aug 11, 2015
Chidonc:

your foolishness is getting to you, u must nt comment on every post and if you should, atleast be sensible, was he the one that made you not to graduate with first class ?

Nonsense. In Nigeria; people who get first class from good universities are living fine! Most of them get job offers from the universities where they studied. The rest walk into offices established by their alumni and doors are thrown wide open. It is posts like this that discourage students in real universities from working hard.

As far as am concerned; if you can't pass jamb; go do something else with your life. Not everyone must have a degree. Go learn a skill..a trade.. or start a business.

If you must go to school; go to one that will be worth the stress and the money you are paying.

If the OP tells me he got that first class from UNILAG, UNIBADAN, UNN, or UNILORIN (Just to mention a few); then I apologize for being a fool. If he got it from a private, or unknown university; then he should know that his problem is not his first class; but the institution that awarded it. And he should style his complaints appropriately so as not to discourage others that are working hard towards what they believe in.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Joe88(m): 11:07pm On Aug 11, 2015
adesegun121:

j for jonathan
I am Jonathan, I finished with a 1st class and I have a job. Don't be d iscouraged, besides you are still young!
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Chidonc(m): 11:11pm On Aug 11, 2015
larisoft:

Nonsense. In Nigeria; people who get first class from good universities are living fine! Most of them get job offers from the universities where they studied. The rest walk into offices established by their alumni and doors are thrown wide open. It is posts like this that discourage students in real universities from working hard.

As far as am concerned; if you can't pass jamb; go do something else with your life. Not everyone must have a degree. Go learn a skill..a trade.. or start a business.

If you must go to school; go to one that will be worth the stress and the money you are paying.

If the OP tells me he got that first class from UNILAG, UNIBADAN, UNN, or UNILORIN (Just to mention a few); then I apologize for being a fool. If he got it from a private, or unknown university; then he should know that his problem is not his first class; but the institution that awarded it. And he should style his complaints appropriately so as not to discourage others that are working hard towards what they believe in.

hmmm, left to me , i will conclude by saying u didnt school in this country, the highest a first can easily get u at the moment is a lecturing job, and u would agree with me dat not everybody wants to lecture, it also no doubt that not all first class graduates are as good as the results makes them seem to be, some people are very good at reading just to past exams, even if they would end up forgetting all they read moments leta.

1 Like

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Sequoia(m): 11:19pm On Aug 11, 2015
If you got good communication skills (written and speaking) and can pick up things fast, with common sense (not as common as it used to be) then send me your CV and a cover letter at slacad@yahoo.com.
Regards and all the best
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by deaborfaty(m): 11:24pm On Aug 11, 2015
My friend the only advice I got for u is to walk up to a micro finance bank or probably a commercial bank get a soft load start up a biz probably in the clothing line u find urself and u should stop lamenting here it high time we have to start planning on our to give to our society and not the usual getting a good job after scholl let start having a change of orientation pls

1 Like

Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by engrolawei: 11:51pm On Aug 11, 2015
funmilade4real:

If you can even get a teaching job in a private school, do. Just avoid idleness. Also, trust in GOD alone, not your certificate or human connection which can fail you. Have self confidence and restructure your CV. Avoid sin at all cost and pray fervently whenever you are submitting your CV or going for an interview. Always look towards meeting your employers-to-be in any interview and sell your qualities to them. Also volunteer to work for free in a reputable organisation and soon you will be smiling to the bank every month end. I tried all these and GOD at last changed my story and made me the envy of many people. HE can do the same for you because HE has not changed. HE IS Able and HE never fails
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by bummyla(m): 12:39am On Aug 12, 2015
Don't be discouraged! keep on searching! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by mgolo(m): 1:35am On Aug 12, 2015
can you see me? I am not giving you a job but i am touched. I will give you some advice. Get in touch through the contact in my profile. Keep well.
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by mickey45: 3:28am On Aug 12, 2015
soulhighman:
Hmmmmm. All this things I read this days about first class not getting a job is frustrating and its almost discouraging someone like me. Thank God I've not allowed myself to be discouraged. Few days ago, I read in the career section where a first class student was lamenting about not being employed for the past two years. Someone's comment up there is also a but scary and others that I've seen and hears of too. But wait, op, before complaining, have you done your Nysc at all? If not, then I guess you shouldn't complain yet.
I graduated in 2014 with a first class also and before my Nysc, the job I got was a 13000 naira teaching job and I was used like 'rain water' but I didn't feel discouraged at all, cos to me, it is an holiday job, tho other teachers in the school were paid such amounts too. But I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I am presently serving. I am preparing to write ielts exam and apply for scholarships. Also I plan to save some money to start a business in case jib no show, tho I don't pray for such. At the same time, I am planning to apply for as much jobs as possible ,submit my CVs on various recruitments portals too. And still if job still no show, I have mapped out some companies I will write letters to, applyin for graduate internship positions.
I hope its not that you have finished serving. And pls lemme tell you, doing masters doesn't guarantee employment. We have seen many like that, but it's always good to do your masters and PhD, just in case the oppurtunity presents itself, especially if you are someone like me who will love to be a lecturer. Presently, the job I would like to have is the type that I will be able to further my studies.
May God bless our hustles.

Are you
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by peddyoosa1: 4:13am On Aug 12, 2015
d way & manner u got ur first class matters.bro if u had worked delegently with ur own solo efforts to av gotten it,u will surely get a job,but my broda if its by oda adjustment dat gave u firstclass i bet it wit u,it will surely show.u cant eat ur cake&av it.i graduated frm UNAD Buss Admin 1st set 2001,i know so of us dat got 2nd class upper den through wuruwuru & i can authoritatively tell u dat dey ar paying dearly for it now.They can't pass any aptitude test,they can't perform in any interview. i av 2:2 and i av worked in banking sector,i av lectured at fed poly ado&presently working under Federal govt in abuja with an enviable grade level. i only gave dis illustration to let u know dat if u really worked for d class of certificate u ar holding,u will get job
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by Berrymoss(f): 5:46am On Aug 12, 2015
czarr:
lol,ode
U refused abi?
y did u quote me?
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by soulhighman(m): 8:33am On Aug 12, 2015
mickey45:

Are you
Did you mean to ask if am one ? Yes I am
Re: First-class Can Sometimes Be Frustrating by MrsAnyanwu(f): 8:40am On Aug 12, 2015
Sequoia:
If you got good communication skills (written and speaking) and can pick up things fast, with common sense (not as common as it used to be) then send me your CV and a cover letter at slacad@yahoo.com.
Regards and all the best
hahhhhhhaaa, with common sense not as common as it used to be "

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Life Cycle Of A Nigerian Worker:only A Co Woker Can Relate To This / Update: He Is Crippled But Works As A Cobbler: Very Inspiring (photos) / What Every CFA Level 1 Candidate Should Know!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.