Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,311 members, 7,811,923 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question (1664 Views)

Mbaise, Where Old Women Marry Young Ladies (photo) / Oyinbo Lady Speaks Nigerian Local Dialect And Cooks Our Dishes Better(video) / Ikwerre Language Is An Edo Dialect And Not Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question by Joshuaiwe: 12:24am On Aug 11, 2015
What do mbaise people talk like I've never met mbaise people in mbaise so I don't know what their dialect sounds like please educate me.
Please don't describe the sound but write a sentence that it's obvious it's them. Like Isi nini for owerri
Another question
Who tf are the people who started this whole thing of instead of using present continuos with na-a/e they just add a ga after the verb they've got me speaking like that sometimes but I wanna know who started that!
Re: IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question by sandrahnaub(f): 12:39am On Aug 11, 2015
Whr in mbaise r u 4rm
Re: IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question by Nobody: 12:48am On Aug 11, 2015
what is mbaise?
Re: IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question by bigfrancis21: 2:07am On Aug 11, 2015
Joshuaiwe:
What do mbaise people talk like I've never met mbaise people in mbaise so I don't know what their dialect sounds like please educate me.
Please don't describe the sound but write a sentence that it's obvious it's them. Like Isi nini for owerri
Another question
Who tf are the people who started this whole thing of instead of using present continuos with na-a/e they just add a ga after the verb they've got me speaking like that sometimes but I wanna know who started that!

Ga-suffix verbs are mainly characteristic of southern Igbo dialects such as Owerri, Mbaise, Aba etc. Na-prefix verbs are more common amongst Northern Igbo dialects notably Onitsha, Idemili etc. O na-abia in Onitsha would be O biaga in Owerri/Mbaise. Another example, O nwelu ife o na-eme, na-ekwu na-aso onye obuna n'obi in Onitsha would be, O nwere he o mega, kwuga, toga onye owula nu obi in Owerri.

Nobody started it. The differences are merely dialectical variations.
Re: IGBO Mbaise Dialect And Question by ChinenyeN(m): 2:16am On Aug 11, 2015
Joshuaiwe:
You'll need the explanation. Nothing like 'Mbaise dialect' exists. Mbaise is simply a grouping of five distinct communities, each with their own recognized speech. Most times though, Mbaise is described as a melting pot where Ngwa, Isu and Uratta speech communities meet and blend at the borders, with the majority showing affinity with Ngwa.

So, now that you know, you'll have to specify which community you're interested in and not just say Mbaise.

Joshuaiwe:
Another question
No one can possibly answer 'who started it?', since we don't have any transcriptions to reference. But, from the looks of it, the \-ga\ construction is a very popular aspect of most Southern Igbo speech. But the context you seem to be asking about is mostly used by the Urban speech standards (Aba, Owerri, Umuahia urban areas) and doesn't seem to be a noted or prominent aspect of most indigenous dialects.

(1) (Reply)

The Bitter Truth About Ile-ife - An Open Letter To The New King / Who Are The Idoma? / [@magnificent Money Spell Business Spell Win Lotterry Spell Lotto Spells In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.